Would you like Cortana to Return

Sam Jones

What are your thought about the death of Cortana. Do you think that she should return, or that she should stay dead. Personally i think she will return, but she will not be the same Cortana. On one the of the campaign missions, Cortana says that she could have MC paired up with another Cortana. Could this have been a hint to the Halo 5 story line? Post a reply of what you think about Cortana returning or not.

(this post is not for conversations)

I'm not sure if I want her to take a return but...I feel like Halo 5 needs to have the Master Chief alone hes been paired with her for awhile now and now that shes gone I want to see him get paired with new team mates like Sgt.Major Johnson and add some more characters that you and the Master Chief connect. If anything I would rather she return in Halo 6.

• Like 2

Considering they also talk about her being one of the first hybrid AIs made from neural tissue, they may be able to find a piece of that tissue and rebuild her from that. She will be completely out of it for Halo 5, forcing Master Chief to battle his own demons and have a little more difficulty ascertaining the best course of action. Maybe at the end they will bring back Cortana and all that she was, then again their may be a heavy toll on her index of memories from her actions versus the Didact, causing her to be an amnesia stricken Cortana. That's my thoughts/guess anyways.

I'd actually prefer that the Chief didn't get a new AI or for Cortana to return at all.

If Cortana comes back it makes her sacrifice effectively meaningless, and thus becomes just a cheap dramatic trick rather than something important. If he gets a new AI, while there could be some interesting interplay between the two of them, it would feel too much like they're just reestablishing the status quo instead of actually looking at consequences.

Right now, the Chief is, for the first time, completely alone. Almost everyone he's ever known is dead or MIA: and he's never had to deal with that before. Out of all the Halo games, the only time he's never had anyone else with him was during the first encounter with the Flood: at no other point wasn't there a friend nearby in contact with him. That feeling, of being completely alone, is something that could be used to explore the Chief in a lot more depth than just chucking him a new AI and telling him to shoot something: think of the Rookie's levels in ODST. What could be more interesting, from a story perspective, than seeing how an ageing soldier who's known nothing but war and loss tries to adjust to not only having lost everything that mattered to him, but effectively being replaced?

• Like 1

i belive dr halzy will give chief a new cortana becase it would be a cool new twist to the story

IT wouldn't be her. You know that right? :laughing:

If they give Chief new AI I hope it has new look and personality. Though I admit it would be interesting to see Chief meet "Cortana with factory settings"

Truly, I don't want another A.I. to accompany Chief in Halo 5, but he may have some flashbacks of her like Halo 3. Chief needs to be mostly alone and his only companion would be Arbiter, Lasky and some allies (UNSC-Separatists). BUT she should return in Halo 6.

IT wouldn't be her. You know that right? :laughing:

If they give Chief new AI I hope it has new look and personality. Though I admit it would be interesting to see Chief meet "Cortana with factory settings"

You created her, you should know more about her survival or death! :lol: Just kidding xD

I'm gonna say I'm voting for her to return.

Just because she has been this thriving force behind most of the main Halo games, and almost everything being about her.

I felt really lost in the Halo 3 missions that were happening without Cortana, it felt so... different. Also Halo 4 was too involved with

her to just drop her like that, they could've just "closed that chapter" shortly in the beginning of the game if they really wanted to get rid of her.

The Chiefs original, and only mission that he received from Captain Keyes, was to "Keep Cortana safe at all costs".

I would really like to see the Chief pay hommage to this command in Halo 6.

Just my 2 cents.

No. As RSR said, if Cortana comes back, all the drama and emotion would be for nothing and if they had a new AI companion, that would be quite interesting to play lore-wise, but it'd just feel repetitive. The smartest thing to do would be to have a full campaign where SPARTAN-117 has no-one to rely on, no back door, just him, his weapon and his armour, all against the wall.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a really tough call.

343i made an incredible game with Halo 4. The graphics, gameplay, music (though I do really miss O'Donnell & Salvatori!), and story were all great. Cortana's death, does, however, introduce a totally new element to the series.

Throughout all 3 first Halo games, Master Chief is able to pull off whatever he wants. In Halo 2, when he sends the bomb to the Covenant crusier, Cortana is worried he'll miss. He assures her, "I won't," and he doesn't. In Halo 3, he indeed does not make a promise that he cannot keep. Goodness, much of Halo 3 is about rescuing Cortana! Chief does what everyone thinks can't be done. Who doesn't feel a swell of nostalgic emotion when the rescued Cortana says, "Keep your head down; there's two of us in here now" in Halo 3? And Johnson's last words are, "Don't you ever, ever leave her" (I did miss the Johnson character in Halo 3! There's no one who quite replaces him).

So you spend all of Halo 4 trying to get back to earth, to do the impossible (again) and save Cortana, and keep another promise to her... and Chief fails (to save Cortana, at least). Johnson's last wish... (kind of) not met. All Chief's efforts in Halo 3... apparently for naught. It's a real bummer, and a real direction change. If she had to die, at least she died saving humanity (or, as she hinted in her "I'm not doing it for them" line, more specifically, saving John-117).

The new trilogy, then, may be different. Johnson's tough-as-nails character is replaced by the younger, softer, but still cool Latsky. Chief is a legend, but a bit archaic compared to the Spartan-IVs now. And he is, for the first time ever, without Cortana and unable to pull off the impossible. Am I reading too much philosophy into what 343 is doing? Is this a message for us aging Halo players as the youth of black-and-white idealism is replaced by the middle age of grayed practicality?

Now that Cortana is dead, I say leave her dead. Comebacks aren't my thing. However, I suspect 343 will somehow bring her back. She was a fun character; her humor was a great tag-along on the campaign adventures, and she'll be missed. The direction of the new trilogy, however, seems to be focused on John-117's humanity ("Which one of is not the machine?"), so we'll see what they do with that.

Thanks for letting me write a little existential essay. 343, if you're reading this, special thanks to you for your interest in your fans' thoughts.

• Like 2

This is a "yes and no" situation for me. Yes I would like her to return, but not until Halo 6 I would have to say. This can be accomplished if done right. Let me say how I would like to see Cortana make her return.

First of all, I do like how Bungie did the Halo 3 "flash back type" moments while Master Chief did not have her. But since this is a new company and a new trilogy, it should be done in a new type of way. Maybe have Master Chief hear voices and not see images of Cortana, maybe hear them far off and only have Master Chief hear them and the Chief would know that Cortana is not gone, but no one believes him. This would be an interesting twist because everyone around the Chief would think he has gone crazy. This would prove (for a while) that the idea of Spartans being "broken at their core" but then when Cortana reappears, this would show that the Spartan are not "broken at their core" as the interrogator says when speaking with Dr. Catherine Halsey and it would actually prove that Halsey is correct. That the Spartans ARE actually the next step for Human-kinds evolution. That they may have a deeper connection then a normal human would.

Now, another thing. My theory is that Cortana is actually rebuilding herself within the Chief Spartan Armor and at the end of Halo 5, Cortana appears before Chief and everyone else. Here is how this happened. As we know at the beginning of Halo 4, Cortana says she rewrote the Chiefs Armor firmware. Many of use know that Cortana always thinks ahead of everyone else (sort of like Halsey seems to in Halo Reach). So Cortana must have know she would not make it, so when she interacts with Chiefs armor in the ending cut scene within the blue protective bubble, she must have implemented part of her code (code that was may not have been affected by her rampancy). This would allow her to rebuild from within Chiefs firmware and his suits electronic/cybernetics. That is what I think how Halo 5/6 should be.

I agree with PhoenixAZ1899. The loss of Cortana is a big thing for John. Its the only mission he has ever failed. He has been lost in space for 3 years, all his friends are dead or missing, and the UNSC has essentially replaced him. He is Obsolete hardware in their minds and the one thing that was most likely keeping him sane just sacrificed herself to save him. I can see cortana returning, but in all honesty she doesnt have to. Memories of her could effect how chief acts. He is always so monotone and steady in the face of death because he believed he was always to die as military hardware. Before her demise, Cortana changed chiefs mind. I would not like to see cortana as an organic living being because that kinf of ruins the idea of her. The machine that has emotions paired with the solder who doesnt. She had her one moment to actually touch chief when she was the hardlight hologram, and that was when she died. That was probably the best way i could think she could go. Her memory can motovate chief onwards, dont bring her back for no reason...

• Like 1

For the record, in sptie of the things I said in my earlier post, my guess is that those of you who say Cortana will somehow return at the end of Halo 5 and be present for Halo 6 are right. That seems like the "standard" thing to do. Though I'm not sure about his armor theory, I like Flam1ng Dem0n's idea that 343 intends to develop that conversation between Halsey and the interrogator.