Halo 5: Guardians Leaked Trailer Screen Analysis

VinWarrior

Greetings fellow members, welcome to another of Agent York's (EK) Analysis, if you remember a while back I analyzed a piece of Halo 5 concept art that was revealed, citing how it could hint at a Halo Wars 2. With Microsoft being very open to the idea, while the concept art itself isn't for Halo Wars 2, I still believe we will get some form of an announcement. Anyways, to the real stuff!

An image leaked over on r/Halo today that appears to be from a Live-Action Halo 5 commercial, possibly intended for E3 2015 reveal this year. The image, shown below, features a very damaged and desolate area in the high mountain ranges that holds a battered monument with the words 'Duty and Honor Above All' on it. This is some great irony seeing as Chief has gone AWOL and deserted the UNSC and ONI, leading to the fact that he holds Duty and Honor below his current goals. Chief is not in good shape in this photo as his bruised armour shows him huddled against this monument, possibly critically injured or unconscious.

post-26953-0-04273900-1424317770_thumb.jpg

Next to him is Agent Locke, strangely without his helmet, staring over at the Chief in awe. He also seems to have his pistol at his side if my eyes don't deceive me. Locke however doesn't seem to be primed to kill Chief, nor does it seem he inflicted any damage on Chief or the area. My guess is that this is mid-game where Locke finds a battered and hurt Chief, possibly leading to a bit of screen-time together before Chief slips out of Locke's clutches. 

My opinion on what this scene is intending to show is Chief trying to tackle a challenge on his own, possibly tackle finding Halsey, and heading back to either Earth or Reach, as this seems like a very damaged human world. He ends up pulling a Halo 3 and landing on something, and I quote Johnson, "As stubborn as you are". This may be where Locke comes in, Chief still blind to the fact that Locke can help him, only chasing for a way to get Cortana back, chasing a shadow.

post-26953-0-48389000-1424317788_thumb.jpg

If this is Reach, that brings up an excellent way to show the Arbiter just what destruction his forces caused, and possibly help strengthen the bond between him and Locke, showing how they've both suffered loss due to their mission.

Anyway, I'll add more speculation whenever I can, since Yoshi is pulling me away to go play Halo: TMCC, but for now, that's it. Leave your thoughts below lads and ladies, I'll see ya next time!

EDIT: I'd like to remind everyone that NOTHING has been confirmed, this is all speculation and could just be a mass rumor, be advised. Also, it is okay in the site policy to post leaks, I checked.

• Like 6

I feel as if this game is going to have those Halo 3 moments where Cortana just slows your movement while destroying your screen again. Pretty interesting stuff. Liked the part where you pointed out the irony of the monument and Chief's (Perhaps soon to be) actions. Hopefully we can learn if this is real or not.

I believe this could be the hillside monument from Halo 3, now I know it looks different but 343 could have made changes to it. Think about it this could have a symbolic message as Edward pointed out himself. The hillside monument focused more on Chiefs "death" as we seen "117" carved on to it, it was seen as Chiefs monument. What better way to describe Chiefs downfall than have him lying like he is dead at the foot of his own monument, like a tombstone. Now I don't think Chief is going to die in Halo 5 (considering Halo 6 is confirmed) but rather the death of a legend, a hero and indeed his own possible and probable death that will be further down the line.

To us the viewer looking at this, 343's symbolic message is that his own people raised the monument in honor of him, now they (ONI) wants to " officially put his name on it " as they are trying to kill him. They want to make it his "tombstone".

Also seeing as the hill side is near the Ark portal Chief could be trying to get to the Ark for what ever reason (probably Cortana related), remember the Ark is heavily damaged and not completely damaged. 

Great post btw Edward.

• Like 4

I believe this could be the hillside monument from Halo 3, now I know it looks different but 343 could have made changes to it. Think about it this could have a symbolic message as Edward pointed out himself. The hillside monument focused more on Chiefs "death" as we seen "117" carved on to it, it was seen as Chiefs monument. What better way to describe Chiefs downfall than have him lying like he is dead at the foot of his own monument, like a tombstone. Now I don't think Chief is going to die in Halo 5 (considering Halo 6 is confirmed) but rather the death of a legend, a hero and indeed his own possible and probable death that will be further down the line.

To us the viewer looking at this, 343's symbol message is that his own people raised the monument in honor of him, now they (ONI) wants to " officially put his name on it " as they are trying to kill him. They want to make it his "tombstone".

Also seeing as the hill side is near the Ark portal Chief could be trying to get to the Ark for what ever reason (probably Cortana related), remember the Ark is heavily damaged and not completely damaged. 

Great post btw Edward.

I'm almost certain this is that hillside monument. Whatever caused the scattered rubble must have blown the pictures away.

Why am I so sure? Well, look at the bottom right corner of the rectangle containing the words "Duty and honor above all."

You can faintly see a number carved there.

I'm almost certain this is that hillside monument. Whatever caused the scattered rubble must have blown the pictures away.

Why am I so sure? Well, look at the bottom right corner of the rectangle containing the words "Duty and honor above all."

You can faintly see a number carved there.

I cant see the "117" I've tried zooming in to try and see it.

I cant see the "117" I've tried zooming in to try and see it.

I think I see it but I'm not sure.

If you look to the very right you can see a guy with a cap, so either this is photoshoped, or it was a mistake. Anyways, I can't remember the exact words, but I'm pretty sure that the words on the Halo 3 monument were different. If you remember, at the end of Halo: Reach, there's a UNSC ship that visits Reach around the year 2582 or 2584 I think? So maybe they revisit Reach and the monument was made there to conmemorate the ones who fell at Reach.

I think I see it but I'm not sure.

If you look to the very right you can see a guy with a cap, so either this is photoshoped, or it was a mistake. Anyways, I can't remember the exact words, but I'm pretty sure that the words on the Halo 3 monument were different. If you remember, at the end of Halo: Reach, there's a UNSC ship that visits Reach around the year 2582 or 2584 I think? So maybe they revisit Reach and the monument was made there to conmemorate the ones who fell at Reach.

Not sure why you're talking about the guy in cap when regarding MC's "117" that may be on the monument (not being rude just wondering). Also that guy is just a crew member so it looks like this image is of the actors getting into position to get ready to shoot the scene. 

To us the viewer looking at this, 343's symbol message is that his own people raised the monument in honor of him, now they (ONI) wants to " officially put his name on it " as they are trying to kill him. They want to make it his "tombstone".

Great post btw Edward.

Memorial-large.jpg

The monument that we see in the leaked photo might look similair, but in my opinion is not.

Large differences are that The Halo 3 monument appears to be made out of metal and on some kind of scaffold, whereas the Halo 4 monument is made out of stone.

The text on the Halo 3 monument is not only different from Halo 5's "Duty and honor above all" but is also painted on there instead of being carved in.

Another slight difference surroundings. They don't seem to be the same to me.

These differences are to large to be made to fit Halo 5's story a lil' better.

The theory about it being a Reach seems the most interesting to me for both the Master Chief, Arby and Locke to me.

Unless your all fried from too much crack, this leaked image is nowhere near the monument type, style or size from Halo 3.  I've attached the actual scenario_structure_bsp from Halo 3's Epilogue map file.  The monument in Halo 3 is actually a Pelican Wing.  This monument from the leaked "Halo 5" is nothing like it in size, shape or texture.  The words "Duty and honor" are not even on the Halo 3 monument to the fallen.

If I had to wager a guess, it looks as if maybe it could be a monument located on Reach.  Reach was where the bulk of humanities military forces fell, as well as a great deal of John's Spartan brethren.  And if we follow the cannon timeline that Reach introduced, the last copy/fragment of Cortana was on Reach.  It could be hypothesized that John returned to Reach.

As a secondary guess, this could be a monument located on Earth.  The wreckage seen in the landscape could be the wreckage of the Didact's ship that has not yet been cleaned up.

post-4732-0-87802500-1424648006_thumb.png

• Like 4

I'm beginning to think this is Reach now after reading some of these posts. If I have only the symbolic manner this images gives us to go by Reach makes more sense. Reach was a big part of Master Chiefs fight, he lost a lot of fellow soldiers on there. Master Chief fighting on Reach was the first ever piece of Halo lore that was released. 

I was thinking maybe 343 just changed the look of the Hillside monument, but now I see it would be too big of a change. 

The idea of this being Reach is a very entertaining one. I don't see how Reach would tie in unless they made it tie in though. However he's definitely on a human-inhabited planet so wherever he is, they made it happen.

This is definitely not the monument from the ending of Halo 3, that much can be concluded. It's one thing if they change it up and enhance what it looks like but they're not going to change the words on it or go from scrap metal to stone. 

I think there are two possibilities for this: 

1) This is just one of Locke and Chief's encounters during the game acted out in live action where Locke finds Chief extremely beat.

Or (more likely in my opinion):

2) Since this is from a trailer, this isn't exactly canon to the game and was created solely for trailer purposes. Every Halo does this dating back to Halo 3 live action trailers. And man those were good ones. This could just be foreshadowing what the situation would be like in the game. 

Lets Science!

post-15182-0-27139500-1424665289.png

IN YELLOW we see what looks like Plasma Rifle markings in the stone. Perhaps Chief was hunted down or ambushed by the group that kidnapped Halsey? If it were Agent Locke who shot him down, you wouldn't see the glow around the markings.

The glow also leads me to believe it is a fairly recent attack that perhaps Locke finished up in rescuing chief. Plasma glow markings eventually fade away leaving burn marks... you can see here that there are still white or light blue markings around those markings which leads to believe it is a recent event. It also appears that Locke is placing a weapon back in it's holster, rather than pulling it out. 

Perhaps he found chief being overwhelmed by covenant scavengers, chief collapses, Locke fights the baddies off damaging his helmet in the process.... leading him to remove his helmet after the fight is finished. He then approaches chiefs unconscious body carefully. The citizens come out of their homes and attempt to thank those that helped them etc. You get the idea... anyways...

IN PINK we see some strange markings that you see no where else on the map... what could they be? Confetti from dead grunts? nah.... perhaps they are just pieces of debris in the air that are floating around? Maybe they are attached to the monument?

IN ORANGE we see a strange man without any armor or anything special on. He has a hat... perhaps a farmer? When was the last place we saw a civilian in a Halo game? Halo Reach! #Reach2015 

Also, on the left side of the structure, behind it... it appears there is a sign, is it  a sign? If so... what could it be for and what could it say? Another hint?

IN GREEN we see some strange debris... one looks like a reservoir or piece of a military vehicle of some sort and another a very strong cable that looks like it has been easily snapped. What could this lead to? There was some sort of wreckage or material break down here... really we just need to know what it was.

That just about sums up some of the things I noticed... I am pretty sure it is Reach, as Twinreapers points are very strong and everything in the image lines up.

EDIT: Also, look at the black ash up-splash on the monument, looks like a bomb or grenade detonated close by.

• Like 6

Really well done Mayh3m! A lot of your points are great! My favorite part was your pointing out of Locke putting the holster back. Him saving Chief in this situation seems like a very possible thing!

What if the parts that look like brightness from burning rock is just whiteness from how the rock was cut from impact though? 

Also I don't think that guy in the hat is actually a part of the scene. I think he's a random crew guy honestly.

• Like 1

Also observe... Chiefs feet are covered in rubble.... look at the black ash up-splash on the monument, looks like a bomb or grenade detonated close by. So another theory is this: Chief finds bomb. Chief gets shot at, drops bomb, bomb detonates throwing chief backwards towards the structure, covering him (and the surrounding area)) in rubble, ash, debris, and also covering the monument in the black up-splash of ash.

More theories ^

Really well done Mayh3m! A lot of your points are great! My favorite part was your pointing out of Locke putting the holster back. Him saving Chief in this situation seems like a very possible thing!

What if the parts that look like brightness from burning rock is just whiteness from how the rock was cut from impact though? 

Also I don't think that guy in the hat is actually a part of the scene. I think he's a random crew guy honestly.

• Like 2

Well, this may be from a live action commercial or trailer they are making, the dude in the corner very well may be a crew member of some sort. And some camera man or boom operator just snapped a pic on his phone.

Edited by Yoshi1176

Also observe... Chiefs feet are covered in rubble.... look at the black ash up-splash on the monument, looks like a bomb or grenade detonated close by. So another theory is this: Chief finds bomb. Chief gets shot at, drops bomb, bomb detonates throwing chief backwards towards the structure, covering him (and the surrounding area)) in rubble, ash, debris, and also covering the monument in the black up-splash of ash.

More theories ^

Maybe Locke caught him off guard, drew his sidearm before throwing a grenade or planting a mine or did both close to the same time, then when Chief failed to disarm or return the grenade to sender because Locke is a skilled hunter and cooked it before throwing it, Chief was flung back into the monument and Locke had him where he wanted him and went to holster his weapon.

• Like 1

Well, this may be from a live action commercial or trailer they are making, the dude in the corner very well may be a crew member of some sort. And some camera man or boom operator just snapped a pic on his phone.

Phones take long or wide pictures. That would have been shot by a professional camera. Which would explain the High res pic. With that stated, if this picture were taken, it was obviously for some kind of campaign to advertise the game. Perhaps Game Informer or the still shots for E3?

If so, that is not a random set guy...

Maybe Locke caught him off guard, drew his sidearm before throwing a grenade or planting a mine or did both close to the same time, then when Chief failed to disarm or return the grenade to sender because Locke is a skilled hunter and cooked it before throwing it, Chief was flung back into the monument and Locke had him where he wanted him and went to holster his weapon.

Science! all possible and make sense based on surroundings and situations.

That circular thing in the right corner, it could be one of these two things. The newly found Phaeton gunship that we have learned about has circular engines on its wings. Maybe part of the ship? Chief possibly fought it off and was hurt at the last moment when Locke came in?

The other idea, when Edward and I were playing Halo 4 we noticed how the wings of the Watchers were large, large enough to resemble the wheel of a Warthog.That being said, that could have been the remainder of a Watcher that met his fate fighting Chief or even Locke.

• Like 1

I'm thinking insurrectionists are coming back. That would explain peasant boy in the corner of the picture and the MP's with riot shields in the my Mega Bloks analysis.

The only reason the NMPD come with Riot Shields is because they're police :P they came with Riot Shields this year as well lol.

The only reason the NMPD come with Riot Shields is because they're police :P they came with Riot Shields this year as well lol.

You just watch, they call me crazy... they said the stock market wouldn't crash, they said the Titanic wouldn't sink.

The UNSC will fall, and it's not going to be pretty Covenant vs UNSC vs Prometheans vs Farmers with guns.

I AIN'T CRAZY I TELL YE!

Edited by Yoshi1176
  • Like 1