Shield Recharge Rate:

Does anyone have the problem of getting picked off right after getting a kill? I usually kill an enemy while my shields get dropped. In 4v4 Slayer, usually there will be multiple enemies at once. He will usually take 1-2 shots to finish me off. Sometimes, if I am lucky I can get away. The problem is, there might be another enemy just around the corner. Sometimes, my shield just won't go up fast enough, and then I get killed.

I think the shield recharge rate at the time is the same as it is in previous Halo games. This particular one though, has a much faster pace to it, thanks to sprinting and long range weapons. The shield recharge rate being the same however, makes you have to hide almost every time you get a kill.

Added in with sprint and flinch when getting shot, this game caters to chasers. If you're getting chased the only hope you have is a teamate.

I have explained my thoughts. Please tell me what you think.

• Like 1

I hate the 6 second shield recharge delay. If I could fix nothing else but one thing I would change that.

I also just finished getting wiped out as red team on Exile, even though I NEVER vote for it, because people are so painfully stupid they still vote for that map hoping to get blue. 10 votes for Exile means at least 2 people on my team voted for, had some choice words for them in the post-game lobby.

I know I shouldn't post angry, but they give us Grifball (Yuck), they're giving us Team Doubles (don't personally care) but they haven't FIXED anything. We still have a map so imbalanced most people wouldn't make it by accident, and someone at that crackpot company still thinks they have an ounce of credibility so we still have 6 second shield recharge delay. 343 are simply horrible at their jobs.

Tactics. Use tactics so that you can get kills without losing your shields.

Laughable. Like you never lose your shields? Never get hit ever? Gimme a break.

• Like 2

I hate the 6 second shield recharge delay. If I could fix nothing else but one thing I would change that.

I also just finished getting wiped out as red team on Exile, even though I NEVER vote for it, because people are so painfully stupid they still vote for that map hoping to get blue. 10 votes for Exile means at least 2 people on my team voted for, had some choice words for them in the post-game lobby.

I know I shouldn't post angry, but they give us Grifball (Yuck), they're giving us Team Doubles (don't personally care) but they haven't FIXED anything. We still have a map so imbalanced most people wouldn't make it by accident, and someone at that crackpot company still thinks they have an ounce of credibility so we still have 6 second shield recharge delay. 343 are simply horrible at their jobs.

Laughable. Like you never lose your shields? Never get hit ever? Gimme a break.

True, I'm really waiting for snipers. The shield recharge rate really needs to change so there aren't as many chasers.

• Like 1

I agree with you, they should have accounted for this when they decided to speed up the game. Or maybe they did and it was intentional. Either way, there is really nothing we can do but resort to cowardly hit-and-run tactics to keep our streaks going. It is sad to say, but as Bloody has mentioned 100 times, the game wants you to get a kill and then die.

And what is worse is when you die and you respawn and your allies are clear across the map and you see 3 red dots converging on

you. Being in that situation BITES. Between the spawning, the mobility, and the shield delay, this game moves almost (I said almost) as fast as CoD. The only buffer we really have are the shields in the first place. That isn't the way I like to play but I guess you have to if you want to like, play Halo with everyone else.

• Like 1

Regardless if it actually adds or takes away "skill" from the game, I think 343 made choice for the sole purpose of making this game "faster" (which as they stated numerous times was their goal). Think about it: Instant respawns, delayed shield recharging, sprint - they really want you to die more/quicker in this game. Again, I'm not saying it maker the game better or worse, but I have to say that I don't like how they are trying to artificially quicken the pace with those things. I wouldn't fault anyone for thinking that this choice was a bit inspired by CoD.

• Like 1

Regardless if it actually adds or takes away "skill" from the game, I think 343 made choice for the sole purpose of making this game "faster" (which as they stated numerous times was their goal). Think about it: Instant respawns, delayed shield recharging, sprint - they really want you to die more/quicker in this game. Again, I'm not saying it maker the game better or worse, but I have to say that I don't like how they are trying to artificially quicken the pace with those things. I wouldn't fault anyone for thinking that this choice was a bit inspired by CoD.

We know why they did it, there is no question about it, I just hate it.

As for people who think it's cute to say stupid things like "Just play smarter" I play as carefully as possible, but spending 2 more seconds one shot is something that every player has to reckon with, and the fact is no matter how good you are the more of the match you spend one-shot the more you are going to die. That's true if you're and MLG Pro or a total n00b.

I distinctly recall a match on Haven where I got plainly beaten by a guy but managed to leave him one-shot. I got a respawn around the corner from him, walked around the corner, and headshotted him. There was no action he could have taken in the whole game to stop me. He was in a good spot to recover his shield, but I knew where he was and I spawned close, so I walked over and killed him. That wasn't a fair kill for me, he should have been able to fight by that time, but because 343 industries is staffed by idiots, I got a free kill on someone who had beaten me.

And it's not "more instant respawn" because it's not always the guy who you killed that comes back to get you. You're just one-shot for so long anyone can come along and clean you up, and as Hater says it promotes chasing. The time it took to regen your shields before was just enough time to make someone chase you into a trap, now you get chased and killed. Do you know what good players are REALLY good at? Turning the tables on their enemies when they begin at a disadvantage. Do you know what's much much harder when you're one-shot all the time? Turning the tables on your enemies when you begin at a disadvantage. Thus how good you are matters less the longer your shields take to regen. Any trigger happy idiot can chase you down and kill you, where previously players at high levels learned when it was good to chase and when it wasn't. Now it almost always is.

As for instant respawn, that is definitely a contributor to the problem, I just don't like it when people try to reduce the seriousness of a major problem with the game by saying "It's actually THIS that's causing that problem" when most often it's a combination of both things. The reason I say instant respawn isn't as much of a problem is because it isn't available in objective, and it doesn't plague you throughout the campaign and spartan ops. Your slow shields are with you in every gametype except SWAT. That makes it a bigger problem with the game, because any time you're playing Halo 4 and you take damage you have to wait longer to be at full strength.

• Like 3

We know why they did it, there is no question about it, I just hate it.

As for people who think it's cute to say stupid things like "Just play smarter" I play as carefully as possible, but spending 2 more seconds one shot is something that every player has to reckon with, and the fact is no matter how good you are the more of the match you spend one-shot the more you are going to die. That's true if you're and MLG Pro or a total n00b.

I distinctly recall a match on Haven where I got plainly beaten by a guy but managed to leave him one-shot. I got a respawn around the corner from him, walked around the corner, and headshotted him. There was no action he could have taken in the whole game to stop me. He was in a good spot to recover his shield, but I knew where he was and I spawned close, so I walked over and killed him. That wasn't a fair kill for me, he should have been able to fight by that time, but because 343 industries is staffed by idiots, I got a free kill on someone who had beaten me.

And it's not "more instant respawn" because it's not always the guy who you killed that comes back to get you. You're just one-shot for so long anyone can come along and clean you up, and as Hater says it promotes chasing. The time it took to regen your shields before was just enough time to make someone chase you into a trap, now you get chased and killed. Do you know what good players are REALLY good at? Turning the tables on their enemies when they begin at a disadvantage. Do you know what's much much harder when you're one-shot all the time? Turning the tables on your enemies when you begin at a disadvantage. Thus how good you are matters less the longer your shields take to regen. Any trigger happy idiot can chase you down and kill you, where previously players at high levels learned when it was good to chase and when it wasn't. Now it almost always is.

As for instant respawn, that is definitely a contributor to the problem, I just don't like it when people try to reduce the seriousness of a major problem with the game by saying "It's actually THIS that's causing that problem" when most often it's a combination of both things. The reason I say instant respawn isn't as much of a problem is because it isn't available in objective, and it doesn't plague you throughout the campaign and spartan ops. Your slow shields are with you in every gametype except SWAT. That makes it a bigger problem with the game, because any time you're playing Halo 4 and you take damage you have to wait longer to be at full strength.

Well said. I agree with everything you stated. This should be the OP instead.
  • Like 1

I thought the PREVIOUS shield recharge delay was annoying. So you can imagine how much I hate this one.

It doesn't even make any sense from a canonical perspective either. Newer generation Spartans have inferior shield charge delay?

Technically speaking each generation of Spartans isn't always as great as the previous. I have no idea about Spartan Fours and how well equipped they are, only that they were adults when they became Spartans.

Spartan I < Spartan II > Spartan III ? Spartan IV

Sometimes I'll do stupid things to abuse instant respawn system and the increased shield delays. On exile there were two guys camping with DMR's near the Gauss hog base on the approach leading to the scorpion tank, so I suicide sprint and toss two grenades as they quickly dmr me to death, I instantly respawn (in range of them naturally) and dust both of the guys off with a DMR head shot to each one.

That would have never been remotely possible in other halos. I wouldn't have been able to RESUME my previous life's damage on the enemy team. They would recover, and I would be a grenade happy noob; that is, if I employed such tactics in other halos.

• Like 1

enlighten me how you play smarter when your 1 shot and the guy you just killed is 10 inches away from you.

Easy. It's called tough luck. Besides, I barely see anyone spawning that close, though, they do know where I'm going due to instant respawn, which is close enough. I play with whatever is given, so I wouldn't bother if the guy that I just killed, comes to finish me of. Besides, you should expect him to come back looking for you. Again, playing smart.

Playing smart isn't a catch all response to basic design flaws in this game. And yes, I consider The instant respawn+shield charge delay combo to be a flaw. How can you feel good about the "free kill" you get after you leave someone 1shot and come back and kill them after they obviously outplayed you?

If you are 1v1-ing somebody and they are legitimately better than you, every time you encounter them they should own you. A score from a game like that would probably be 25-4, or somewhere around that neighborhood depending on the skill gap between players. With the shield delay and instant spawn, that game could go like 25-22, creating a false representation of the skill in that game. It gives the lesser player the illusion that the game was really close, when in fact it wasn't close at all. He just got kills because of a bad game design.

• Like 2

Easy. It's called tough luck. Besides, I barely see anyone spawning that close, though, they do know where I'm going due to instant respawn, which is close enough. I play with whatever is given, so I wouldn't bother if the guy that I just killed, comes to finish me of. Besides, you should expect him to come back looking for you. Again, playing smart.

What if you have nowhere to manuever? It's not as simple as you make it out to be. I consider myself a smart player but certain situations that are caused by these instant respawn kills are inevitable, no matter how smart you play.

Which version of Halo 4 are you playing again?

To avoid dying easily you should know when to chase, flee or engage; these are the basics. For example if the 2/3 of your shields is down then you should flee or hide. Now, chasing the enemy is kinda risky, you never know if he/she has a shotgun, sword, BOLTSHOT etc. But you can always approach them in a different route.