eragon360

Hi, I have watched a ton of videos on youtube and MLG and I cannot stress the importance of the sounds of the guns. It gives the game a more realistic approach to an already arcade-esque game. It gives the feel and gameplay more power if the guns actually sound destructive.

Having said this there are a number of guns that just have a high powered staple gun sound to them. These include the battle rifle first and foremost. For some odd reason I get a plastic sound behind the gun. It could be just me, but it is possible to give a stronger bass to that gun being as it is a rifle. The second is the pistol. In Halo 1 and Halo 3 I thought they had the best sounds for the pistol. It felt like that single shot meant it hurt. The third is the shotgun. I am sorry but the shotgun really sounds like pebbles are thrown at a wall. I have talked to a number of people and they all agree that the guns just don't feel like they have an impact as they did to their counterparts.

Please 343 Look and read this post. And if you are one of many that feel the same way please post your reactions as well.

Thanks!!!!

This isn't 343i's official site. The reason why the sounds are different is because they used real gun sound recordings they did a few months back and edited them but mainly, I don't get what you are saying. Do you like lke the sounds or no?

Fact is: Some people will like it and others won't.

I'm with you on this. One of the reasons I keep going back to my copy of Halo: CE is that the guns just feel more powerful than in Anniversary, despite actually being identical in terms of gameplay. Each shot just makes you feel that little bit more badass when you're shredding through a group of Grunts - in Anniversary, using the Assault Rifle feels like you're using, well, an assault rifle. But in the original game it felt more like you were shooting hammers out of a cannon. A very, very large cannon.

I'd like to see the new weapons having a little more bass added to them. The DMR in Reach felt like it packed a bit of a punch, but from Halo 2 onwards the human weapons in particular just sounded a bit pathetic. It didn't matter that the Assault Rifle in Halo: CE was horribly inaccurate and relied more on just holding the trigger down than actual skill, because it felt like it was awesome. Same thing with the Carbine on ODST: it wasn't any more powerful than the regular Halo 3 version, but the little changes to sound at night made it a bit more intimidating.

Also, welcome to the forums!

• Like 1

I'm with you on this. One of the reasons I keep going back to my copy of Halo: CE is that the guns just feel more powerful than in Anniversary, despite actually being identical in terms of gameplay. Each shot just makes you feel that little bit more badass when you're shredding through a group of Grunts - in Anniversary, using the Assault Rifle feels like you're using, well, an assault rifle. But in the original game it felt more like you were shooting hammers out of a cannon. A very, very large cannon.

Yeah, those sounds were awesome. Assault Rifle, Magnum, the Warthog turret, i can't really understand why they've been so reduced.

Shooting with the MA5C in Halo 3 is like shooting with a Pop-Corn dispenser. And there are many other weapons like that.

And if you play BF3 and you shoot with the M239, that's the sound. High, louder than everything, you can't understand anything while you're suppressing.

Maybe they're scared to hurt some kid ears...

• Like 1

Yeah, those sounds were awesome. Assault Rifle, Magnum, the Warthog turret, i can't really understand why they've been so reduced.

Shooting with the MA5C in Halo 3 is like shooting with a Pop-Corn dispenser. And there are many other weapons like that.

And if you play BF3 and you shoot with the M239, that's the sound. High, louder than everything, you can't understand anything while you're suppressing.

Maybe they're scared to hurt some kid ears...

I'd forgotten the Warthog turret - that actually sounds okay in the newer games, but then you go back to the original and realise just how much worse it is. The MA5C was actually probably a slightly weaker gun overall in terms of kill times and kills/magazine, but it just felt so much worse.

I can only guess they were going for more realism, but as you say in games like Battlefield or CoD they have realistic sounds and still manage to retain a powerful feel. The Halo 3 Magnum was okay, and the Spartan Laser felt great. Rest were definitely lacking, though.

• Like 1

They used real weapons and recoded the sounds that the real weapons made. for the rocket launcher i think they used one of those potato cannons tho.

Anyways they took a weapon and tried to find a real weapon that they think would make a similar sound. for example, for the sniper they used a beret 50 caliber sniper rifle. and for the magnum they probaly used the smith and weston 500. also the shotgun is possibly the recording of a spaz 12.

I hope they have changed from the old halo 3 assult rifle sound though, it just sounded like you was slapping someone in the face repetively with both hands. i prefered Reaches AR, it had more of an ASSULT rifle feel to it with the bass and rattle.

• Like 1

lol You guys should get your hands on some assault rifles and fire them, then listen to the shots fired in H4. They are so identical that I nearly had flashbacks. xD

yeah, i've shot a L98A2 assualt rifle and it sounds remakibly similar to the DMR on H4 so i'm happy about that

Though people have more than likely stated the following, above, it is still my directive to inform you...

Fact 1- This is not the official 343Industries website, but your opinions are still welcomed here.

Fact 2- The guns will sound much more destructive in Halo 4 rather than uninteresting popping noises and a dull flash exerting from the barrel like Halo Reach.

TX-20 :robo:

No bloom in H4?

Also, the only sound I didn't like was the BR it sounds....

Meh..

Know what I mean?

There looks like there is a bit of bloom, but the bullet spread (which was the actual problem in Reach) looks to have gone WAY down, which I'm happy about. :D

And I liked the BR sounds. It sounds remarkably similar to an M16A-4 on burst fire.

• 3 weeks later...