Halo 5: Return of the Brutes?

Claptrap Killa

41 members have voted

1. 1. Brutes return

• YAH!
    • NAH!

The brutes were in a state of civil war between tribes as of 2553, but they could have become stronger by the time Halo 5 takes place, but still weak. You could have a small encouter with them, but they shouldn't be the biggest threat. Jul M'dama's forces should be UNSC's main focus. Didact couldn't really unite the old Covenant though, because the religion of 'Mdam's cult is based on the religion before the San'Shyuum and Sangheili even met. And the brutes would never join UNSC or the Arbiter. They did join Insurrectionists though. Maybe in Halo 5 we'll be fighting a bunch of human colonists, brutes and Kig-Yar. That would be interesting.

@Tietokone, I think the Didact could unite them. After all, with the Elites viewing him as a living god, I doubt they would question him, even if he said to play nice with the Brutes. Also, while the cult's religion is based on what pre-Covenant beliefs, if the Prophets could change that with the force of a Forerunner Dreadnaught ship, I'm sure the Didact could do the same with his Promethean technology. The Brutes were quick to convert after their assimilation into the Covenant, so its possible for them to do the same. Sometimes, history repeats itself...

You guys never fought Halo 2 brutes I guess.

Be lucky for what you have, they aren't bullet sponges in recent games.

In 3- Charged PP, headshot

Reach-3headshots(minor) 5 headshots(captain) pp+5(chieftain) on legendary.

They will return. Right now they are attacking Ontom on Sanghelios and are being fought by the Arbiter. They are not extinct, although they are dwindling. I think they should return - I like their weapons, their vehicles, and their berserking.

Not that I don't believe you, but what source is that from? I'd love to read up on it and learn the details :)

Let me clear it up, you are radibg the Kilo-5 trilogy I'm guessing. Those books are set in 2553, 4 years prior to Halo 4. The Brute attacks have long passed, as far as we know. Hopefully this clears the confusion.

@Tietokone, I think the Didact could unite them. After all, with the Elites viewing him as a living god, I doubt they would question him, even if he said to play nice with the Brutes. Also, while the cult's religion is based on what pre-Covenant beliefs, if the Prophets could change that with the force of a Forerunner Dreadnaught ship, I'm sure the Didact could do the same with his Promethean technology. The Brutes were quick to convert after their assimilation into the Covenant, so its possible for them to do the same. Sometimes, history repeats itself...

You have a good point, Didact is a god to them... It would be a fragile alliance, but so it was  before.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It just wouldn't seem logical. The main Covenant is now completely destroyed, and now it's just really only Jul 'Mdama (and possibly 'Telcam, a different leader of the split Covenant) that's the leader of a new Covenant. Brutes are really just helpers for the Elites at the time being, well, the ones who didn't rebel. Really, they just can't come back, it really wouldn't work. The only reason Brutes came to power was because the Prophets decided the Elites were not good protectors. The Brutes are basically slaves, and kinda serve as how African Americans did back in the 1930's. I'm not racist, but that's the best thing I can compare it to.

Not sure if someone already said this, but the Gravity Hammer was recovered from a Sanghelios/Jiralhanae battle and reinvented using Covenant technology; the Sanghelios straight up stole their idea and made it their own.

The planet is called Sanghelios. The race is "Sangheili."

With the question of how to fit them canonically into the story, 343i can use the excuse of Forerunner intervention to repopulate the Brutes. The Halo 5 trailer shows what may be the partially damaged Ark. The Forerunners have specimens of every species, including the Brutes, indexed on the Ark and possibly in other Shield World installations. The Didact would obviously know of this tactic and may seek to enlarge his forces by releasing these indexed specimens. This could also be a new window of opportunity to introduce more species from other parts of the galaxy, but that's all a far-fetched idea. The Shield Worlds are even known to support life of many species, such as some of the animals in Halo Wars. Imagine the next Halo game visiting a Shield World where Brutes have lived for countless years and having to fight them along with standard Covenant, and possibly Promethean, forces.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought of a cool idea to bring brutes back. All brutes were thought to be destroyed... When an elite leader stumbled upon a planet inhabited by brutes. Still upset from the brutes replacing them, he takes the brutes as slaves. While many earned the right to fight for him with their brutal weaponry many remained slaves. So in halo 5 master chief stumbles along an elite general and his slave. The slave attempts to escape and tries to melee the elite. The elites turns on the brutes electric collar quickly and the brute falls to the ground. The elite pulls out his sword and right when he is about to kill the brute, master chief snaps the elite's neck from behind. They awkwardly exchange glances when the brute appears to charge chief. Master chief jumps to the side and the brute tackles and rips a jackal sniper apart who was about to shoot chief. The brute sarcastically says no need to thank me. And chief says I'll thank you when this war is over. The brute becomes an ally and helps you fight the covenant including his race. Brutes were really cool to fight. They should stay the tougher, stronger, scarier enemies. It was so awesome when the brute chieftain ran at you full speed deflecting your bullets and activating invincibility. You better keep brutes difficulty to kill. Of course you better bring back their weapons and vehicles!