Halo 4 -Fall Damage?

Sikslik7

Something that has dictated how all Halo games are played is fall damage. I have seen nor heard anything about fall damage concerning Halo 4. Do you guys think that there should be fall damage in Halo 4? I like the aspect that it brings, but after Reach's heavy use of fall damage I don't know if something like it would be great in Halo 4. Your thoughts?

I am afraid there may be. Two leaked clips indicate that there will be, in fact, fall damage. The newest one jumped from not a very high distance from the ground, but lost all shields. I couldn't tell if he got shot, or simply fell. I hope they decide to take it out, since it is simply the 'Beta Stage' right now.

From the clips we've seen there looks like there may be fall damage. I'm a fan of fall damage. I loved it in Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 3: ODST, and Halo: Reach (though I wish there had been a bit more in Reach). It's just something that I've always enjoyed having in Halo. Personally I would love to see it return.

• Like 1

There is fall damage, as we seen from the leaked videos. The fall damage seems to be you jump down..not far..like in previous games and you loose all your shields. That to me kinda makes me go ugh. I just want it to be balanced fall damage depending on how far you fall. That short of distance is to much.

• Like 3

There is fall damage, as we seen from the leaked videos. The fall damage seems to be you jump down..not far..like in previous games and you loose all your shields. That to me kinda makes me go ugh. I just want it to be balanced fall damage depending on how far you fall. That short of distance is to much.

Exactly, that is what bugged me about CoD. Other than that, it was a fine game.

They will probably change it if it is too short of a distance. Fall damage just makes you be more cautious about where you're going in the map while engaging/fleeing. I was able to play perfectly fine in Combat Evolved and Reach, as well as without it in 2 and 3.

I would love it if i could jump from really high places and still walk away, sheilds down or not doesnt matter. When i pursue people im good at taking angles and cutting people off and sometimes those angles and routes i take just so happen to lead to 30+foot drops to other landings, and when i die from taking routes like that its the single most angering thing that can happen to me while playing halo

Fall damage in previous halo's were acceptable and logical. However, with fall damage like reach, it becomes a serious liability. You would drop ten feet, and you'd have your shields popped. This is unacceptable and illogical, by my standards.

343 has previously said multiple times before: "We want to make it look and feel like you are a super soldier; a super hero." And what I ask myself now, is how exactly is it, that I don't get a single scrape in the physical world from jumping from ten feet, but a genetically engineered super soldier, falling from the same distance, will deplete his/her top-notch energy shield defense system. How, I ask, is this supposed to work? Sure, I understand that the Spartans wear 700 pound titanium armor, and would fall at a much greater terminal velocity. But there is also the aspect that it is power assisted, and to understate, the Spartan beneath the armor is pumped full of steroids, basically. This should be enough to deplete the effects of a ten foot drop.

I say you should take fall damage, just not overly a lot. Like I stated above, a ten foot drop should not pop your shields, but maybe deplete about ten percent of them. And so on for different heights. I do hope 343 fixes this, as it will not be as fun if it had the same system such as reach.

-Bullet

I enjoy both having and not having fall damage. It gives a different feeling when it comes to multiplayer. Whether you can or cannot jump off of an edge and survive the fall in order to escape or kill someone. So either way, I think that they will make it work.

Canonically speaking (not even sure if thats a term), I think there shouldn't be fall damage. Reach and CE had fall damage. 2 and 3 did not. With Mk VI, there was no fall damage. Simple as that.

Wow, you're right!

For me, fall damage is fine, but not as strong as it was in Halo: REACH. Jumping between different height is part of the fun in Halo, and they kind of ruined that in Reach.

heres how i feel fall damge whould work it cant kill you but your shields go down so if your on the windmill on last resort and you fall your shieds will be gone but thats it you wont die or swordbase you can fall off the very top and wont die but your shields will be gone. the only time that can happen is if lets say on lock out you fall off the map then you die.

Wow, you're right!

For me, fall damage is fine, but not as strong as it was in Halo: REACH. Jumping between different height is part of the fun in Halo, and they kind of ruined that in Reach.

Honestly falling damage in Halo: Reach wasn't really that bad at all. If you think it was bad in Halo: Reach, it was even worse in Halo: Combat Evolved. They greatly reduced the falling damage for Halo: Reach, and personally I wanted it to be even more than it was in the final game. Remember Damnation in the original Halo: Combat Evolved? If you fell from the area where the Active Camo was floating to just below where the Shotgun lay, you would pretty much lose all of your shields and possibly even some health. In Halo: Reach, you lose very little, if any, shields when falling in the exact same area. I'm also pretty sure that in Halo: Reach if you fall from Sniper to Rockets with full shields that you'll survive and, at worst, lose all of your shields and a tiny sliver of health. Where as in Halo: Combat Evolved that fall would just outright kill you.

Honestly falling damage in Halo: Reach wasn't really that bad at all. If you think it was bad in Halo: Reach, it was even worse in Halo: Combat Evolved. They greatly reduced the falling damage for Halo: Reach, and personally I wanted it to be even more than it was in the final game. Remember Damnation in the original Halo: Combat Evolved? If you fell from the area where the Active Camo was floating to just below where the Shotgun lay, you would pretty much lose all of your shields and possibly even some health. In Halo: Reach, you lose very little, if any, shields when falling in the exact same area. I'm also pretty sure that in Halo: Reach if you fall from Sniper to Rockets with full shields that you'll survive and, at worst, lose all of your shields and a tiny sliver of health. Where as in Halo: Combat Evolved that fall would just outright kill you.

Have you ever tested the scale of the Remake Maps in Halo Reach? I found out (using people stacked on each other) that the heights are not the same, that the distance in reach was less than the actual. I have played on a lot of 1x1 scale maps, but I fid that the heights are usually not right.

I like fall damage, but Reach's damage is too much. Considering the Mjolnir VI armor (sorry about spelling if it is wrong) was built to get rid of fall damage, and Cortana has made improvements during the cyrosleep, why should there be fall damage (at least in campaign, I understand that the Spartan IV's don't have better armor than Chief)

We will all find out at E3 and when we get the game.