343i 41st Weekly Community Poll

Buns

Welcome to the 41st 343i Weekly Community Poll!

WP2bd2d.png

Last week I asked I asked if you all wanted to see a new enemy in Nightfall or return of the Flood. Let us see the results below!

The Flood! By one vote! Let us see what the amazing OS Soldier rrhuntington has to say

If there is no Flood with Ridley Scott, then that's an opportunity I'm sad we won't get to see.

I do want them in Nightfall as they can be as horrifying in a movie just like they were in the first game. If they are set up right of course. This whole talk of elements has slightly spurred my curiosity, into whether it is actually flood or something different.

If they do put the flood in it, then I think it will be a treat to watch someone get infected alive in the movie.

This week let us think back on all the Halo Spin-Off titles and think of the great times we had playing them.

Do you want more FPS Halo Spin Off games like ODST/Reach or do you want Different Genre(s) Spin Off games like Wars/Spartan Assault? 

halo-wars-oxcgn-11.jpg

Make sure to leave your thoughts along with your vote down below!

Deadline: 8/10/2014 @ 9pm EST

Thank you so much for participating in this weeks poll.

See you all next week!   :horse:

Have a question, complaint, or suggestion pertaining to this or next weeks poll? Message Bnus

• Like 4

I would say both since regarding ODST I liked seeing the fight from a non-Spartan aspect and Wars was a nice take on Halo that in some cases required more tactics but since it's one or the other I'd go with more FPS spin offs as there are more P.O.Vs we can see the universe from 

Halo has so much lore and backstory that games could be set in and around any point in it's history. I feel though as if it would be executed better through the use of FPS.

Sadly, even though I liked Halo: wars...A LOT... it seemed like an experiment that did not work out as well as hypothesized. ODST is a great example of a great FPS Spin off.. It felt like Halo, but at the same time Marty's music and the fact that you were no longer a Spartan made it feel very different. These spin-offs can be executed wonderfully, but there is not much substance gameplay wise that you can give to an FPS Spin-off.

• Like 1

Personally, as much as I loved ODST (and I really did love it) I'd like to see Halo branching out into more genres, purely because it's such an interesting setting with so many potential things to explore. Even though Halo Wars proved that RTS games don't work with gamepads it was still a reasonably solid game in terms of its mechanics and gameplay, so provided that it were on PC or capable of using USB mouse and keyboard peripherals for its control scheme I'd definitely be interested in playing a sequel.

There are a fair few genres which spring to mind immediately when thinking of Halo spin offs, in any case: Reach had a fully-developed space combat section which could easily be adapted into the premise of a whole game, perhaps even set during the fall of Reach or even earlier in the war: a free-roaming, open world sandbox game playing as a member of ONI who's tasked with investigating one of the insurrectionist strongholds with an emphasis on detective work, stealth and tactical combat rather than traditional Halo running and gunning: there's even a potential survival horror option regarding the Flood, perhaps as a science team investigating a Forerunner facility who are trapped inside when they accidentally release it and need to find a way to destroy the facility and get out.

• Like 1

I'd like to see a PC spin-off of Halo Wars. Given the diversity of vehicles and races in the Halo universe, the potential for a very fun Halo RTS game is huge, especially with the Prometheans recently entering the fray. Add some gametypes from the FPS Halo games, like King of the Hill or Infection, and a forge mode to create your own maps, and PRESTO! You have a Halo Wars game to make the rest of the franchise proud.

One major problem with a lot of console RTS games would be the controls; nothing matches the precision of having a mouse to tell your units where to go, what to attack, and where to build. Instead of having to open a little sub-menu and navigating through it with the d-pad or right joystick or something even more awkward, you can just click a button on a menu off to the side of the screen to prepare units and buildings.

One aspect of Halo Wars that needs to be scrapped is the fixed base component of the game. The lack of freedom of determining where your barracks or where your research lab go limits the potential to utilize the geography to your advantage. In Command and Conquer, I loved setting up Sensor Arrays and Obelisks of Light on the high ground to obliterate those stupid AI controlled Stealth Tanks or blast those vile Disruptors to bits as soon as they attempt to enter my base. I'd build a bunch of SAM sites in the little gaps between buildings and cliffs so none of those wretched Orca Bombers could even touch me.

You can't do anything like that in Halo Wars. Each of the skirmish maps are unique in their own right and have all sorts of terrain to fight on, from Flood-infested flatland to maze-like Forerunner structures. But instead of using that terrain to your advantage, you just build stuff in your designated building spots, then set up your turrets and spam units. You can't set up a decent defense so that your base is able to defend itself while you go pillage other players' bases. To get a decent base defense, you need units. But then you can't deploy a lot of units to fight other players.

This is the second annoying aspect of Halo Wars: the population cap. It was too low to make a decent-sized army of anything aside from marines or hordes of Covenant cannon fodder. I would utilize an alternate structure for population cap, such as having x amount of infantry squads, y amount of ground vehicles, z amount of aircraft, and n number of super units. Having all types of units share the same population pool severely limited the player's forces. Why buy a Scarab when you could have six Wraiths and two population points to spare?

Finally, I'd like to see multiple campaigns. The option is there in other RTS games. You can play as GDI, Nod, or Scrin in Command and Conquer, each with their own objectives and motives. If I want to be a prophet hellbent on humanity's demise, I'd like to see a campaign sculpted around that!

The potential is there for an awesome Halo RTS game, given the lore and the different environments in the Halo universe. But, it needs a lot of work before it can be a great game.

TL;DR version: another RTS spin-off please

Edited by Maestro
  • Like 3

Halo Reach is a prequel.. I don't think it's a spin-off..nice poll by the way.

It is a spin-off game because it isn't a main Halo game(those being were Master Chief is a main character aka the games with numbers in them)

Saying Halo Reach isn't a spin-off is saying it isn't a game lol.

Please don't comment unless you are voting. If you like my poll then simply click the like button.

Have a question, complaint, or suggestion pertaining to this or next weeks poll? Message Bnus

According to most forums, notably 'Halo Waypoint' and also another  website known as 'Wikipedia'. Controversially Halo Reach is considered BOTH a spin-off and a prequel. It's a spin-off as it's separate. But it's also a prequel because it's set before Halo:CE.

And if you didn't know or already or would like to know, I have provided some evidence below:

After developing Halo 3 in 2007, Bungie split into teams to develop two different games-what would become Halo 3:ODST and Reach. The developers decided to create a prequel to the original Halo game trilogy, freeing themselves from the obligation of addressing old story threads.

En route to the Autumn's dry dock, Carter is critically wounded. He rams his ship into a Covenant mobile assault platform, allowing Six and Emile to safely reach the shipyard. Emile uses a mass driver emplacement to defend the Autumn while Six fights through Covenant ground forces to get Cortana to the Autumn's captain, Jacob Keyes. When Emile is slain by Elites, Six remains behind to control the gun, ensuring the Autumn's escape. The Autumn flees from Reach and discovers a Halo ringworld, sparking the events of Halo: Combat Evolved.

Here is a thread from Halo Waypoint as evidence: https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst58729_IS-REACH-A-SPIN-OFF-OR-A-PREQUAL.aspx

I'm not being one sided on my opinion on this but to put it this way. It is  seen as BOTH quite commonly. And I was only saying my opinion, what's wrong with saying my opinion? I mean this is on topic and I don't think there's no way I am able to vote for something if there's no voting poll currently up. Funny enough though speaking of things not being games..did you know originally ODST was going to be a DLC until they turned it into a game? Ironic isn't it? But decent for some.

Here is a YouTube video on Angry Joe Review of Halo 3:ODST:   

(Warning some explicit language is featured in the video)

-TMM

Daym.... and to think we are on the 41st poll.

I remember when this all first started I was sitting in a café by the beach and I click on the very first 343I community poll....

Anyway back on topic. :)

I think Odst was a great idea just undercooked, I would really like to see a Covenant spin off game where you play as Elites....

so yes I want to see more fps spinoffs.

Although odst was a great game same as reach its the same as halo wars now we can all agree it was an amazing game as much as I would like to see another FPS spin off more due to the fact that its amazing but like I said I like strategy games such as halo wars but all halos are great games but I didn't like spartan assault as much as the others but another FPS spin off like odst would be amazing if it was from the perspective of a marine unit ect. Therefore my vote goes to FPS spin offs!!!!

I liked the Spin-off series, they gave me so much more perspective from what happened around the Master Chief. So I'd like to see more.

What I wouldn't want to see if sequels for those spin-off series. I don't exactly know why but I'd rather see their stories wrapped up in the main Halo series rather then it being played out in a stand alone game.