Halo is Changing NOT Turning into COD, So Deal With It!

reclaimer117

Should Master Chief drop his gun just because Call of Duty lets users use guns? Should Master Chief, a friggin’ Super Soldier, lose his ability to sprint just because Call of Duty lets users sprint? And most importantly, should every aspect of a Call of Duty game be shunned from use by other game developers just because Activison decided to use an idea first? The answer to all of these questions is no, by the way. Even though Halo and Call of Duty are very different, they have the same background: Shooting. And there is no way for both of these games to be polar opposites and still be known as “shooters”. They both have to have some similar ideas just to spark interest in its audience.

Halo is a game that is evolving, not a game that is copying another game. This was simply to stop people from starting threads about how Halo is supposedly becoming Call of Duty, because clearly, it's not!

• Like 5

Im gonna say honestly I'm getting every bit as annoyed by these counter threads as the original "OMG HALO is become TEH COD!" threads. Its just redundant. As redundant as the COD threads.

Also, second point, can we all just get out heads out of our @sses and admit that, yes, for better or for worse Halo is becoming more like COD? I ain't saying thats a bad thing.I ain't making any qualitative judgments at all...I'm just saying, with the introduction of things like customizable loadouts, customizable weapons and Spartan ops, we have a more COD esque formula.

The point is, we have to weigh each of these elements in turn. Not simply generalize the quality of the entire game based on arguments like which go like "OMG HALO IS GOING COD THEREFORE BAD" and then, in response, "BUT OMG HALO ISN'T BECOMING COD".

Beacuse, newsflash, Halo is becoming more like COD and that, by itself, is neither a good nor a bad thing. It is entirely dependant on the peculiar design elements.

This argument is getting pretty stupid on both sides. Tired of hearing about how Loadouts automatically equal fail and also, frankly, tired of hearing about how we should just have "faith".

• Like 1

Im gonna say honestly I'm getting every bit as annoyed by these counter threads as the original "OMG HALO is become TEH COD!" threads. Its just redundant. As redundant as the COD threads.

Also, second point, can we all just get out heads out of our @sses and admit that, yes, for better or for worse Halo is becoming more like COD? I ain't saying thats a bad thing.I ain't making any qualitative judgments at all...I'm just saying, with the introduction of things like customizable loadouts, customizable weapons and Spartan ops, we have a more COD esque formula.

The point is, we have to weigh each of these elements in turn. Not simply generalize the quality of the entire game based on arguments like which go like "OMG HALO IS GOING COD THEREFORE BAD" and then, in response, "BUT OMG HALO ISN'T BECOMING COD".

Beacuse, newsflash, Halo is becoming more like COD and that, by itself, is neither a good nor a bad thing. It is entirely dependant on the peculiar design elements.

This argument is getting pretty stupid on both sides. Tired of hearing about how Loadouts automatically equal fail and also, frankly, tired of hearing about how we should just have "faith".

To go and say all those things are from COD is pretty stupid. Pretty much all modern FPS games give those abilities. Frankly, 343 is just adding realism to Halo.

@sly

"To go and say all those things are from COD is pretty stupid."

That would be pretty stupid if I had said it. COD established the current industry leading model, the same model that Halo 4 is moving towards, and thats a fact. This is not completely dissimiliar to how Halo 2 established matchmaking. Of course, Halo 2's contribution and "trend" setting was a much bigger deal than COD's was, and much more innovative, since, as you pointed out, COD did not invent things like custom classes, but still, as COD copied Halo 2, so Halo 4 copies COD. I didn't say COD had invented Sprint, customizable classes, etc. Besides, if all games prior to COD had had the features which I am referring to, my statement "Halo 4 is becoming more like COD" would still be completely true beacuse COD has those features regardless of who "invented" them.

"Frankly, 343 is just adding realism to Halo."

What in the name of God's green earth do you mean by that? Realism? You mean like a game set 500 years in the future where they still use gas powered shot guns that wouldn't be out of place in WW2? Jeeps with open seat, exposed, back turrets? That kind of realism?

• Like 1

@Viva I probably misunderstood the point of your original post, my bad.

And yes, realism. Most shooters today have even a little, regardless of who they're fighting or what year it is. Take Gears for example. One feature of realism in that game is how they pant when they run, just like Halo. What I'm trying to say is that 343 is adding some of these features in order to get people to remember that a human is in the Spartan armor. At least that's how i see it.

I'm with Viva on every point he's made here. While I agree with the OP that the "Halo 4 is turning into COD" threads need to stop, so do the "Halo 4 is NOT turning into COD" threads. They're both pointless, and nothing good ever comes from them. It always becomes bickering, very few ever develop good conversations and constructive arguments.

I'm tired of coming on every morning, just to find another thread like this, or another "343 is ruining (insert whatever you want)" thread. Bah. Bah I say!

• Like 1

I can get behind this, though nowhere has it been shown or said or even hinted at that you will be able to customise weapons. I'm sure you also know that Spartan Points and Spartan Ops are only placeholder names, not the final names for those things. Whether or not Halo starts to use features that were made popular by shooters like Call of Duty or Battlefield doesn't necessarily equal a bad thing. Halo can still take these things and add some small twists to keep it unique. The features used in Call of Duty and Battlefield aren't inherently bad. They're only bad because they may not have been implemented properly. If 343 Industries can take something another game does and put a nice twist on it and/or balance it, I don't mind seeing that feature in Halo. That doesn't mean that I want Halo to stop having its own feel however.

Halo's taking A LOT from CoD. It's no longer the game it used to be, where it was the one to set trends. And to anyone saying they're adding realism, it was realistic enough given it's storyline apart from the weapon technology hasn't increased as greatly as it will for real life humans.

Halo's taking A LOT from CoD. It's no longer the game it used to be, where it was the one to set trends. And to anyone saying they're adding realism, it was realistic enough given it's storyline apart from the weapon technology hasn't increased as greatly as it will for real life humans.

Halo won't be like CoD. You don't like the way it looks, go away. You're not a true Halo fan. A true Halo fan would support it no matter what.

OMG I SEE A ALIEN! ITS JUST LIKE COD Example #2 OMG IT HAS SPRINT ITS JUST LIKE COD Answer: Lots of games had running before COD so shut up

Example #3 OMG IT HAS SHOOTING ITS JUST LIKE COD Example #4 OMG ITS JUST LIKE COD IT HAS LOADOUTS Answer: Cod didn't create loadouts first.

Seriously I can go on forever with these things but Halo is evolving and if you don't like that, go away and stop playing halo if you keep comparing it to a low-leveled game that does not have rich storyline and mysterious music,

@TheDarkestHour and @Fal 'Taralumee

A true Halo fan would say something if they think something looks wrong with the game. I'm probably a bigger Halo fan than both of you and went back to Halo 3 instead of complaining about Reach.

Things Halo has taken from CoD or other CoD like games (e.g. Battlefield):

- Sprint

- Spec Ops (yeah it might be different, but they got the idea from them)

- The currency system/ranks (basically dumbing down, in the hope of more fans)

- Weapon Customisation (skins)

- Loadouts (Classes)

- Armour Abilities (Perks)

The list probably continues. It looks like Microsoft are running the show, with the amount of money grabbing.

A true Halo fan would say something if they think something looks wrong with the game. I'm probably a bigger Halo fan than both of you and when back to Halo 3 instead of complaining about Reach.

- Sprint

- Loadouts (Classes)

The list probably continues. It looks like Microsoft are running the show, with the amount of money grabbing.

You most likely aren't a bigger fan than both of us. A fan would not compare this game to Cod or my comparisons when the game has not even been released.

You most likely aren't a bigger fan than both of us. A fan would not compare this game to Cod or my comparisons when the game has not even been released.

Have you seen how they are doing the scores?

With headshot popping up and getting more than the one point score for a kill. CALL OF DUTY.

God I miss Bungie already.

Halo, Call of Duty, and every other premier shooter grew and will continue to grow how Microsoft sees fit. 343 is trying to add individuality to its games, not necessarily conforming to Call of Duty. I know these additions that offer slight advantages to each player upset many veteran Halo fans (myself included), but the game will sell better with these additions and will be wider accepted by the next generation of gamers. Even in the gaming industry, survival of the fittest determines who succeeds with flying colors and who becomes extinct. To survive, Halo must evolve to the environment it finds itself in, and that is what 343 is doing.

A true Halo fan would say something if they think something looks wrong with the game. I'm probably a bigger Halo fan than both of you and went back to Halo 3 instead of complaining about Reach.

- Sprint

- Loadouts (Classes)

Mhm, I would say im a bigger fan than you, I've been playing since the day it came out, I play every new Halo game, I go to all the midnight releases including the Halo 3 one <3 oh and a true halo fan will thank 343 for bringing halo back from the dead I've waited 5 years to play as the chief in halo 4 I don't give a dam what it includes.

Mhm, I would say im a bigger fan than you, I've been playing since the day it came out, I play every new Halo game, I go to all the midnight releases including the Halo 3 one <3 oh and a true halo fan will thank 343 for bringing halo back from the dead I've waited 5 years to play as the chief in halo 4 I don't give a dam what it includes.

I'll believe the "back from the dead" part when I see it.

I hate people who think COD has total control over things like Loadouts, Special Missions, Sprint, Abilites, and even ******* headshots [XBLuke]

I also hate people who think that if ONE of those things is in Halo then there needs to be a lawsuit.

So because one game has it, it limits the creativity of every other game in the universe?

Halo won't be like CoD. You don't like the way it looks, go away. You're not a true Halo fan. A true Halo fan would support it no matter what.

That's not true. A true Halo fan would speak up if there's something he or she doesn't like about a Halo game in development. A true fan would try to get it to 343. If 343 decided to make Halo 4 a 16 bit Mario rip-off, and people weren't saying anything because "A true Halo fan would support it no matter what", then H5 and H6 would be exactly the same. At least you'd only have 100% die hard Halo fans in matchmaking, right?

I find it funny how people think that Halo is literally getting all of it's stuff from Call of Duty, I mean... they may have gotten the idea of armor abilities from sprint on games like CoD and BF. But really, if you look at it deeply, they aren't really copying ****. I mean, that's like saying if you were inspired by an art picture to make one as well, then no matter what; it's copying that piece of art. Don't say I'm wrong. Inspiration and copying are 2 whole different things. Only a 4 year old doesn't know that.

Halo is on the move, if the hipsters don't want change, they should stay behind, keep playing Reach or Halo: 3 or whatever when Halo: 4 comes out. they really shouldn't complain. There may be some bad mistakes they will add in Halo: 4, but also; Armor Lock was a terrible mistake.

Halo: 4 will be a great game, don't say I'm wrong. By what I've seen and heard about it so far, it's gonna be a great game.

(Halo: 4 information provider: http://www.youtube.com/user/Halo4Follower)

So, hipsters, next time you think of posting Halo: 4 hate, think again.

-Pwnage

I find it funny how people think that Halo is literally getting all of it's stuff from Call of Duty, I mean... they may have gotten the idea of armor abilities from sprint on games like CoD and BF. But really, if you look at it deeply, they aren't really copying ****. I mean, that's like saying if you were inspired by an art picture to make one as well, then no matter what; it's copying that piece of art. Don't say I'm wrong. Inspiration and copying are 2 whole different things. Only a 4 year old doesn't know that.

Halo is on the move, if the hipsters don't want change, they should stay behind, keep playing Reach or Halo: 3 or whatever when Halo: 4 comes out. they really shouldn't complain. There may be some bad mistakes they will add in Halo: 4, but also; Armor Lock was a terrible mistake.

Halo: 4 will be a great game, don't say I'm wrong. By what I've seen and heard about it so far, it's gonna be a great game.

(Halo: 4 information provider: http://www.youtube.c...r/Halo4Follower)

So, hipsters, next time you think of posting Halo: 4 hate, think again.

-Pwnage

"They aren't copying" yeah they are, just look at spartan ops, spartan points,instant respawn and the list continues.

Wait until the game comes out, you'll see how much better it is and then you'll be shocked and then you'll apologise. Halo 4 will be a new mystery and the Reclaimer Trilogy will bring life back into Halo and 343 Industries can now bring their cards to the table. People need to stop complaining and be grateful that a new Halo is even being released.

Bungie have made this game great for ten years, let's let 343 Industries do the same for the next.

"They aren't copying" yeah they are, just look at spartan ops, spartan points,instant respawn and the list continues.

oh my god there just place holder names they wont have those names when the game comes out i made a topic on this ages ago. and we dont even know how exactly points will work and spartan ops will have a story line to it its a campain mode not a survival mode. if i remember right cod stole stuff from halo like stick grenades so why cant halo take a little from other games survival of the fitest halo was dieing it needed change get over it.
  • Like 3

That's not true. A true Halo fan would speak up if there's something he or she doesn't like about a Halo game in development. A true fan would try to get it to 343. If 343 decided to make Halo 4 a 16 bit Mario rip-off, and people weren't saying anything because "A true Halo fan would support it no matter what", then H5 and H6 would be exactly the same. At least you'd only have 100% die hard Halo fans in matchmaking, right?

I agree with you on that one dude