Why People are Hating on 343

SpartanIV

I don't quite understand how that works? Bungie didn't betray anyone, it is us the community that failed them. For far too long has the community felt entitled, or seemed to know better on how or what made Halo work. Our constant bitching and moaning at them is what drove them to ignore a majority of our complaints. The community needs to become more diplomatic in the way that it treats issues, especially when contacting the developers directly or on the forums. Take a look at some of the responses over the years to issues and complaints. Could you honestly see a parent or another figure head responding kindly and quickly to some of the wording and phrases used? No, they wouldn't. So again, it is the community that has caused it's own problems and stifled any quick or appropriate fix to the issues.

It'll be a cold assed day in hell when the community decides to grow up..

Can you really judge them? I'm as well was very skeptical over the Halo franchise being handed over to 343i, but I took my time and listened to what 343i was going with the franchise and liked what I heard and ultimately started to support them. But people who happens to disagree with them equals that they aren't "true Halo fans"? I disagree. The thing is, people like routine. It's easy and familiar, and by making changes tend s to make people at unease, afraid of the unknown. By changing something, you never know beforehand how it'll turn out and so you're simply afraid of all the 'what ifs'.

There are generally 5 aspects that make people resist change: Old habits, no control, worn out, insecurity and loss. Each of these aspects are natural reason for someone to hate change. Of course, there are people who loves change, and sees it as an experimentation / challenge / breath of fresh air.

The best direction for--in this case-- 343i, is to understand why people are resistant and provide the opportunity to talk with the fans of their directions, which they thankfully have! It's a shame though that many people refuse to even take their time and listen. Those who disagree, shouldn't be blamed.

Agreed!

I as well am really happy over what I've seen with Halo 4, but I tend to get pissed on people who say that "real Halo fans are this and that". Okay sure, I agree that there are people who simply hate on almost everything that isn't as similiar as the game they like, but there are people who do have valid reasons for their beliefs. I mean, take my friends for example. They literally laughed out loud when I said that a new company is creating Halo 4, saying stuff like "They are milking the franchise dry" and "It will be a giant flop". I recommended that they watch the different interviews that are around, and even though they saw one or two, they weren't interested. That's their loss, but I'm not calling them "true Halo fans".

• Like 3

The people out there who feel this way are only hypocrites. They love Halo so much and want it to keep it the same way, but do they want a CoD? No. Well, if it were to stay the same every time, then it would basically be the same kind of production CoD games have.

Most of what you just said i agree with. But I think that Some of the elements where changed to quickly. Which is the main problem, had it been more gradual, there would have been less protest i imagine, as the community would have had more time to get used to it. But that said, if your going to change your gameplay a little, then it should not be done under pressure of other games and copying other aspects from the opposing game. The fact that CoD BLOPS and MW3 copied both theartre and Infection respectivly.

Most of what you just said i agree with. But I think that Some of the elements where changed to quickly. Which is the main problem, had it been more gradual, there would have been less protest i imagine, as the community would have had more time to get used to it. But that said, if your going to change your gameplay a little, then it should not be done under pressure of other games and copying other aspects from the opposing game. The fact that CoD BLOPS and MW3 copied both theartre and Infection respectivly.

Oh, it definitely could have been done slower, and maybe it would have been better if that was the case, but we'll never know unless 343 goes closer to Halo 3 for Halo 5, but I doubt this. Also, I don't see what all the hate is about borrowing ideas. The only way games were ever built was by borrowing another's idea in some way. That's how a genre even starts in the first place. Some games borrow more than others and that I don't agree with, but for the moment I am completely satisfied with the amount of change in Halo 4 and what those changes apply to.

343 continue right many wrongs. out of curiousity, did anyone like my paraphrase?

'This is how Bungie left, not with a bang, but with a whimper'

Actually no, I don't quite care for it, nor do i see any relevance to the subject at hand. What were you expecting....big explosions? Screaming? Massive parties? Their contract ended, they chose not to renew, they walked off to start a new adventure. So by all means, your phrasing means nothing towards Bungie as a company, nor their feelings towards Halo.

You have to understand one thing, Bungie only survived with Halo for 9+ years, because Microsoft bought the rights to Halo and saved Bungie from bankruptcy. So to put it into proper perspective, Bun gie was always like a naughty redheaded step-child, and Microsoft was the evil Step-Mother. Sure their partnership made both companies lots of money, but Bungie was always standing there knowing they lost the rights to the first and very dear thing they created. At one point they had to just say, "Hey, lets end this and startup something of our own, without having to worry about something or someone looming over our heads and reaping all the rights."

Breaking the way they did was natural, and the correct path to take at the right time. But this is all besides the point and this has all very quickly spiraled off the point of this thread. The basic reason that is assumed as to why people hate on 343i for their takeover of Halo, is because people are scared. they have grown up with halo and Bungie at the helm for 9+years. Take them away all the sudden and throw it to another studio, and people are bound to panic. Is the hate unwarranted, no. People are free to either judge the content they see so far any way they want. is their pre-judgement correct, yes. In their perspective it is, but that does not mean everyone can just go and attack opinions that vary their own.

To paraphrase correctly here.... "Opinions are like ********, everybody has one".

• Like 2

Yeah, I understand the importance of gaming companies to always remember their roots, because let's be honest, it was those initial ideas that got them their first large fan base that usually keeps following the series through to the end. However, I think change is necessary in games. I doesn't need to be drastic, but I like a twist in my games as a series progresses. I know many did not like the way Bungie finished Halo with Reach (because there were so many changes, but I actually really enjoyed the development - Keep in mind, i had also player Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo 3 ODST prior). So basically what I'm saying is that people do have the right to complain all they want about 343, but I honestly think we should give 343 a chance. Yet again, I'm well aware that there were some haters because of how they did the Anniversary edition, but that was a re-make. I'm actually excited to see how Halo 4 does. Anyways, what I'm saying is, try to keep an open mind, but I understand if you have your reasons...

People are afraid of change. It's nothing new. No matter the franchise, people will always be scared, especially if it is handed over to a 'new' company.

No, we are afraid of a lot of change over a very short period of time.

Halo 4 essentially turned the world upside down, I agree, change is very important, but it MUST be taken slowly or else many people will complain. 343i screwed up by not making the changes more slowly.

No, we are afraid of a lot of change over a very short period of time.

Halo 4 essentially turned the world upside down, I agree, change is very important, but it MUST be taken slowly or else many people will complain. 343i screwed up by not making the changes more slowly.

You mean sort of like the changes between Halo CE and Halo 2?
  • Like 1

You mean sort of like the changes between Halo CE and Halo 2?

Yes, But nevertheless, it had to happen, but also taken into consideration, is the fact that CE was not an online game, Halo 2 was essentially the "Beginning" Of the series' Multiplayer. So at that point, there was no actual change, if you can understand that.

Now with Halo 4, we have become accustom to the style of multiplayer that has pretty much been around since Halo 2, so between then and now, it has been growing, but not too fast, like the transition between Reach and 4. Now with change of ANY kind you will ALWAYS get a large group of people who will complain about quite literally EVERYTHING.

Edited by Killerdude1635

Yes, But nevertheless, it had to happen, but also taken into consideration, is the fact that CE was not an online game, Halo 2 was essentially the "Beginning" Of the series' Multiplayer. So at that point, there was no actual change, if you can understand that.

Now with Halo 4, we have become accustom to the style of multiplayer that has pretty much been around since Halo 2, so between then and now, it has been growing, but not too fast, like the transition between Reach and 4. Now with change of ANY kind you will ALWAYS get a large group of people who will complain about quite literally EVERYTHING.

Console wise, you are correct in saying that Halo CE was not an "online game". However, it was very widely played on the PC as an online game. And when Halo 2 was announced, a lot of people were like, "yay!" (kinda like they were for Halo 4). Then, when things started being announced, there were those massive outcries that we forum goers all know and love.
  • Like 2

Console wise, you are correct in saying that Halo CE was not an "online game". However, it was very widely played on the PC as an online game. And when Halo 2 was announced, a lot of people were like, "yay!" (kinda like they were for Halo 4). Then, when things started being announced, there were those massive outcries that we forum goers all know and love.

Exactly.

Change in a slower form is not going to quell nor please the masses that seem to come out and complain the most about and in, the Halo franchise. I've been around long before Halo and have seen many generations of gamers and their outcries from both slow change and fast change. Unfortunately, because of the "human condition" and the way in which we game in terms of our newer habits, there is no middle ground or pleasing the newest generation of gamer which currently dominates the market.

You will either always here these two comments...

"Waaaahhhhhh, you arent doing anything new and are taking too long to bring new kick ass stuff to the genre"

or

"Waaaahhhhh why isn't it like the previous title"

Both said generation or particular gamer end up in the Waaaahmbulance extremely butt-hurt. From a much older gamer standpoint I can see how the gaming industry is evolving, and with it the gamers. Most of the time players are either too focused or too shortsighted to take a step back and look at things objectively from a skewed position. Whether it be personal pride, or just stubbornness, change will always happen and it can either be embraced or hated...there is no gray area. As a final thought, imagine how a completely new gamer to the Halo franchise must feel right now. Imagine that this player has never seen or played a Halo title, but because of the reviews and coverage Halo 4 is getting, they decide to pick it up and try it out. Immediately that gamer is most likely to run into features or gameplay that are similar to something they have experienced before, and they love it. There is an old saying about too much of a good thing. In this case, too much Halo or too much love for one particular aspect or title of Halo, can be a very bad thing for gamers to focus on solely, which is why we see the outcries we do.

• Like 3

A true fan of the series doesn't stand by silently and take it up the rear end like what many here have been doing, I will make one thing clear here.

CHANGE IS GOOD.

But when you take a game that has millions-possibly billions of fans that like it because of what it is, is it really smart, business wise, to completely alter it?

As it is right now, Halo IS turning into COD, now with all these self proclaimed "true Halo fans" they all say they're loving it.

I'm sorry, but if you love changes that are turning your game into something else? That doesn't make you a true fan.

I bet Bungie is just rolling over in their grave right now...

A true fan of the series doesn't stand by silently and take it up the rear end like what many here have been doing, I will make one thing clear here.

CHANGE IS GOOD.

But when you take a game that has millions-possibly billions of fans that like it because of what it is, is it really smart, business wise, to completely alter it?

As it is right now, Halo IS turning into COD, now with all these self proclaimed "true Halo fans" they all say they're loving it.

I'm sorry, but if you love changes that are turning your game into something else? That doesn't make you a true fan.

I prefer change, but to say that Halo is turning into a completely new game is wrong. When you look at a video from Halo 4, it's easy to see that it's still Halo. I think most people agree with that. None of us have played the game, so we can't tell for sure how it feels like. Until we've tried it, let's not say that it's turning into CoD. I'm sure that when we play the game, we'll say "Hey, this still feels like Halo!"

CHANGE IS GOOD.

So if I understood you correctly, anyone who doesn't agree to change is not a "true Halo fan"? Yet the ones who do love change is not a true Halo fan b/c it's turning into COD? Sorry, but I don't understand your logic here.

And the term "true Halo fan", I don't think there's a right definition for it. Is a "true Halo fan" someone who buys anything Halo related? All the Legendary Editions, merchandises, novels, etc.? Is it someone who visits the different conventions / events that are held here and there? The way I see it, there is no such thing as a "true" fan. There are hard core fans whose fandom is a borderline obsession. What someone could consider a "true" fan is anyone who simply enjoys the game, and each person may enjoy it differently for different reasons.

And I disagree with Halo turning into COD. Sure, Halo is using / implementing features from COD into Halo 4, but using the term "X turning into Y" is a bit of an exaggeration. There are a lot more differences between the games then similarities.

• Like 4

Actually no, I don't quite care for it, nor do i see any relevance to the subject at hand. What were you expecting....big explosions? Screaming? Massive parties? Their contract ended, they chose not to renew, they walked off to start a new adventure. So by all means, your phrasing means nothing towards Bungie as a company, nor their feelings towards Halo.

You have to understand one thing, Bungie only survived with Halo for 9+ years, because Microsoft bought the rights to Halo and saved Bungie from bankruptcy. So to put it into proper perspective, Bun gie was always like a naughty redheaded step-child, and Microsoft was the evil Step-Mother. Sure their partnership made both companies lots of money, but Bungie was always standing there knowing they lost the rights to the first and very dear thing they created. At one point they had to just say, "Hey, lets end this and startup something of our own, without having to worry about something or someone looming over our heads and reaping all the rights."

Breaking the way they did was natural, and the correct path to take at the right time. But this is all besides the point and this has all very quickly spiraled off the point of this thread. The basic reason that is assumed as to why people hate on 343i for their takeover of Halo, is because people are scared. they have grown up with halo and Bungie at the helm for 9+years. Take them away all the sudden and throw it to another studio, and people are bound to panic. Is the hate unwarranted, no. People are free to either judge the content they see so far any way they want. is their pre-judgement correct, yes. In their perspective it is, but that does not mean everyone can just go and attack opinions that vary their own.

To paraphrase correctly here.... "Opinions are like ********, everybody has one".

last line = lol

Nay gentlemen. Ye all be wrong.

There are multiple types of fans for Halo. There are those who are fans of the interesting little glitches that it brings to the table, there are those who are fans of the multiplayer, there are those who are fans of the campaign and single player modes, and then there are fans of the canon. A "true fan" is all of the above. A "true fan" is someone who knows that Master Chief is a brunette, and that the Magnum was the only "precision weapon" other than the sniper rifle in Halo CE, that warthog races usually mean that the campaign is ending, and that you have to jump crouch to get outside Halo 2's second mission's map.

A "true fan" doesn't have to have started with any particular Halo, just as long as they've gone out of their way to either play or know what happened in all of the games. A "true fan" is allowed to like one thing more than another about Halo (i.e. Canon over campaign, multiplayer over firefight), but a "true fan" already tried everything before making up their minds about it.

A "true fan" is someone who is willing to compromise when there are changes they don't like. A "true fan" would say, "Well, I hate armor lock, so I'll play a game mode that doesn't have it." or "Well, I don't like the ranking system, so I'll play a gametype that I know requires skill. It's a shame I can't boast about my truskill, but I'll still have fun pwning people in 1v1's."

People often confuse true fans with fanboys, but they are not the same. Fanboys are convinced that their game is the best, and feel the irrepressible urge to shove their theology down everyone's throat. A true fan is willing to have a healthy debate, but drops the topic when flaming comes into play.

If you are the type who doesn't like a gametype or game mechanic and decides to stand on a soapbox and shout that Halo is turning into a different game, and say things like, "343i sucks!", then you are not a true Halo fan. If you would rather watch the series die than change, then you are not a true Halo fan. If you would denounce a fellow member of the Halo community for liking a part of Halo that you do not, then you are not a true Halo fan.

There is a reason people of the Halo community mock those who constantly complain about things like Armor Lock, Equipment, or Boardable Vehicles. The reason is because those that do shouldn't be playing a game that they so obviously do not like.

Now that you've been educated on what a "true fan" is, let's talk about what "makes Halo Halo." You could say that for each individual person, what makes a Halo game is different. You could say that, but you would be wrong. If you look at all of the Halo games that have ever been made, every single one, there is only one thing that they all have in common. Change. From the massive changes from Halo CE to Halo 2, to the minor (but still pretty big game changers) changes from Halo 2 to Halo 3.

Some might say that the BR is what makes Halo Halo. And they would be wrong. The BR was not usable by the player in Halo CE, Halo Reach, nor Halo Wars. That's half of the Halo games that are out so far.

Others might say that it's the vehicles. They would still be wrong, but they'd be less wrong. In each and every Halo game vehicles have been tweaked. In Halo CE, you could kill someone and take their vehicle, with no damage to the vehicle at all. In Halo 2, the vehicles blew up, but they were also able to be locked onto by the rocket launcher. In Halo 3, the vehicles became crucial in a BTB game, while in Reach the vehicles became underpowered. In Halo Wars, they are essential, in ODST, they are hardly used.

Even more might say that accuracy is what makes Halo Halo, but they too would be incorrect. In Halo CE, the only two weapons that fired in what could even remotely be considered precisely were the Magnum and the Sniper Rifle. True precision weapons didn't come around until H2.

So you see, the only things that have remained even close to the same over the years are the learning curve, and change. And even the learning curve has changed from each game. Which means the only constant is change. Change and people complaining about change, that is.

tl;dr True fans will never hate Halo and the only thing that makes Halo Halo is change. The Director has spoken.

• Like 7

There are multiple types of fans for Halo. There are those who are fans of the interesting little glitches that it brings to the table, there are those who are fans of the multiplayer, there are those who are fans of the campaign and single player modes, and then there are fans of the canon. A "true fan" is all of the above. A "true fan" is someone who knows that Master Chief is a brunette, and that the Magnum was the only "precision weapon" other than the sniper rifle in Halo CE, that warthog races usually mean that the campaign is ending, and that you have to jump crouch to get outside Halo 2's second mission's map.

A "true fan" doesn't have to have started with any particular Halo, just as long as they've gone out of their way to either play or know what happened in all of the games. A "true fan" is allowed to like one thing more than another about Halo (i.e. Canon over campaign, multiplayer over firefight), but a "true fan" already tried everything before making up their minds about it.

A "true fan" is someone who is willing to compromise when there are changes they don't like. A "true fan" would say, "Well, I hate armor lock, so I'll play a game mode that doesn't have it." or "Well, I don't like the ranking system, so I'll play a gametype that I know requires skill. It's a shame I can't boast about my truskill, but I'll still have fun pwning people in 1v1's."

People often confuse true fans with fanboys, but they are not the same. Fanboys are convinced that their game is the best, and feel the irrepressible urge to shove their theology down everyone's throat. A true fan is willing to have a healthy debate, but drops the topic when flaming comes into play.

If you are the type who doesn't like a gametype or game mechanic and decides to stand on a soapbox and shout that Halo is turning into a different game, and say things like, "343i sucks!", then you are not a true Halo fan. If you would rather watch the series die than change, then you are not a true Halo fan. If you would denounce a fellow member of the Halo community for liking a part of Halo that you do not, then you are not a true Halo fan.

There is a reason people of the Halo community mock those who constantly complain about things like Armor Lock, Equipment, or Boardable Vehicles. The reason is because those that do shouldn't be playing a game that they so obviously do not like.

Now that you've been educated on what a "true fan" is, let's talk about what "makes Halo Halo." You could say that for each individual person, what makes a Halo game is different. You could say that, but you would be wrong. If you look at all of the Halo games that have ever been made, every single one, there is only one thing that they all have in common. Change. From the massive changes from Halo CE to Halo 2, to the minor (but still pretty big game changers) changes from Halo 2 to Halo 3.

Some might say that the BR is what makes Halo Halo. And they would be wrong. The BR was not usable by the player in Halo CE, Halo Reach, nor Halo Wars. That's half of the Halo games that are out so far.

Others might say that it's the vehicles. They would still be wrong, but they'd be less wrong. In each and every Halo game vehicles have been tweaked. In Halo CE, you could kill someone and take their vehicle, with no damage to the vehicle at all. In Halo 2, the vehicles blew up, but they were also able to be locked onto by the rocket launcher. In Halo 3, the vehicles became crucial in a BTB game, while in Reach the vehicles became underpowered. In Halo Wars, they are essential, in ODST, they are hardly used.

Even more might say that accuracy is what makes Halo Halo, but they too would be incorrect. In Halo CE, the only two weapons that fired in what could even remotely be considered precisely were the Magnum and the Sniper Rifle. True precision weapons didn't come around until H2.

So you see, the only things that have remained even close to the same over the years are the learning curve, and change. And even the learning curve has changed from each game. Which means the only constant is change. Change and people complaining about change, that is.

tl;dr True fans will never hate Halo and the only thing that makes Halo Halo is change. The Director has spoken.

2 points.

you are a patient typer.

Agreed.

I would give you infinite points, because this is the best post I've ever read in my entire life.