Official Halo 4 Facts and Rumors [No Open Beta]

SamF1sh

This is most likely true, but its also kinda humorous. The rumor is that the "Holiday 2012" at the end of the teaser trailer meant that's when we'll see an actual gameplay trailer lol.

Everything I have heard about halo 4 says the game releases to the public in Q4 of 2012. Meaning we will have the game in our hands between september and december of this year. Im positive we wil see gameplay before it releases and possibly even participate in a beta, which should release around the start of summer. This rumor you speak of sounds impractical.

Frank O'Connor shared this today with bs angel of Waypoint.

"Obviously we’ve been working on the game in earnest for a long time, but it’s all starting to feel pretty real to me now. Campaign is playable from start to finish (not to be confused with complete or polished) and multiplayer has been running for a while. It’s amazing to see changes big and small have a dramatic effect on making the game smoother, more playable and more enjoyable in almost every session.

Personally I have been traveling a fair amount in support of the impending year-long launch activity. Visiting with our partners and colleagues in Europe to talk (and walk) them through the game, the features, the U.S. marketing plans and the sheer scale of the project. We certainly surprised some folks with the ambition and concrete realization of where we’re at, but it was kind of cool to see genuine excitement and enthusiasm for the game.

Our show and tell was pretty BIG, since the European partners (marketing, retail guys, etc.) need as much information as is available to make their plans and start building the path to launch abroad. So they went from knowing practically nothing about the game, to knowing practically everything about it. Which is a weird feeling when you expend so much effort and energy on security and secrecy. It’s amazing how much detail you need to go into. It’s not good enough to simply list off the changes and additions and improvements, you have to contextualize them. It’s been almost five years since Halo 3 and a LOT of stuff has happened between then and now: ODST, Reach, multiple map packs, loads of story and a whole swathe of technical and gameplay changes.

Creating material to explain those changes, walking people through the game features – showing them a lot of this stuff in action, it’s fun, but it’s nerve-wracking. In a way it’s a preview of our public showings, where we get a feel for which changes, which additions, which refinements are going to get people excited. It’s also a chance to get a feel for which new features are complicated and how to distill the explanations to capture the essence of what we’re making. Training wheels, as it were, for showing you guys.

Launching a game is a massive undertaking, with literally hundreds of people all over the world preparing and planning to make sure that every aspect, from the box art to the matchmaking, is executed flawlessly. And if it seems slow, ponderous, even, then remember that there’s a plan and a process, and that you’ll see Halo 4 soon enough. And we can’t wait to share it with you."

Frank O'Connor

This post has been promoted to an article

• Like 4

Frank O'Connor shared this today with bs angel of Waypoint.

"Obviously we’ve been working on the game in earnest for a long time, but it’s all starting to feel pretty real to me now. Campaign is playable from start to finish (not to be confused with complete or polished) and multiplayer has been running for a while. It’s amazing to see changes big and small have a dramatic effect on making the game smoother, more playable and more enjoyable in almost every session.

Personally I have been traveling a fair amount in support of the impending year-long launch activity. Visiting with our partners and colleagues in Europe to talk (and walk) them through the game, the features, the U.S. marketing plans and the sheer scale of the project. We certainly surprised some folks with the ambition and concrete realization of where we’re at, but it was kind of cool to see genuine excitement and enthusiasm for the game.

Our show and tell was pretty BIG, since the European partners (marketing, retail guys, etc.) need as much information as is available to make their plans and start building the path to launch abroad. So they went from knowing practically nothing about the game, to knowing practically everything about it. Which is a weird feeling when you expend so much effort and energy on security and secrecy. It’s amazing how much detail you need to go into. It’s not good enough to simply list off the changes and additions and improvements, you have to contextualize them. It’s been almost five years since Halo 3 and a LOT of stuff has happened between then and now: ODST, Reach, multiple map packs, loads of story and a whole swathe of technical and gameplay changes.

Creating material to explain those changes, walking people through the game features – showing them a lot of this stuff in action, it’s fun, but it’s nerve-wracking. In a way it’s a preview of our public showings, where we get a feel for which changes, which additions, which refinements are going to get people excited. It’s also a chance to get a feel for which new features are complicated and how to distill the explanations to capture the essence of what we’re making. Training wheels, as it were, for showing you guys.

Launching a game is a massive undertaking, with literally hundreds of people all over the world preparing and planning to make sure that every aspect, from the box art to the matchmaking, is executed flawlessly. And if it seems slow, ponderous, even, then remember that there’s a plan and a process, and that you’ll see Halo 4 soon enough. And we can’t wait to share it with you."

Frank O'Connor

Sounds like it's coming long well.. Great post AD :)

Our show and tell was pretty BIG, since the European partners (marketing, retail guys, etc.) need as much information as is available to make their plans and start building the path to launch abroad. So they went from knowing practically nothing about the game, to knowing practically everything about it.

So we need to kidnap and torture the European partners for info eh? >.>
  • Like 1

I will share this, but am not sure what to make of the following article. I had not seen it before. It was a news story posted on squidoo.com, a source I have never used for information, but after reading my previous post, it did make me wonder............being it had no author or credited writer.

Fact or Rumor?

"Someone over at Bungie.net has been very, very naughty. Someone on the inside has loose lips and leaked some very interesting information about the upcoming Halo 4. SPOILERS to some extent, so read with caution. Also, remember that these are unconfirmed rumors, so if thay happen to not come true, please don't come after me with an energy sword!

"Halo 4 returns players to the story of the Master Chief and Cortana in the events that follow the conclusion of Halo 3. Players will experience an all new story and introduce a new roster of enemies and weapons to the Halo experience. Set against the top secret Forerunner planetoid known to ONI as Sigma 7, players will encounter a dark new foe and unravel more of the mysteries behind the forerunners and the Office of Naval Intelligence.

At the heart of Halo 4 is a stronger focus than ever before behind story telling and player choice. Players will be offered an unprecedented level of customization and a narrative experience never before seen in a first person shooter. On a technical level Halo 4 pushes the boundaries of the action genre by incorporating larger battlefields than ever before and players will experience conflicts that seamlessly span land, sea and space.

Halo 4 will expand the series trademark arsenal of weapons and vehicles beyond any other title so far. Players can expect fan favorites to return along with new additions. Halo 4 will also feature the revolutionary new Arsenal Improvisation Mechanics that allow for menu-free, creative customization of weapons and vehicles in the heat of combat. Players will take their fight to a new level by dynamically tailoring their weapons and vehicles to suit any situations or enemies."

At the moment it seems 343 are focusing on the new and improved story and weapons system (of which the new AIM mechanic is only mysteriously alluded to) but there was some video shown that fills in some of the gaps. Halo 4 is set on a Forerunner planet that has an inner and outer surface that provides two distinct styles. The outside is very industrial and features a wide range of hostile Forerunner tech and AI. The video showed space combat here. The inside of the planetoid is hollow and is sectioned off in to many tiers/bands (almost resembling Halo rings) that feature a myriad of natural environments not only resembling earth's but many other alien terrains. The video featured combat across a multitude of environments from space to mountains, plains and oceans. Presumably, ONI had been top secretly researching the planet for some. There are UNSC forces on the planet but they look really degraded and disorganized and it was implied that they may be divided into factions and warring with each other. At one point we see a heavily modified warthog that has had the wheels replaced two kind of anti gravity devices. At another point the Chief is clearly sprinting which possibly implies a return of armor abilities. There was no sign of the Flood or the Covenant but at the very end of the trailer the 'dark new threat' was hinted at. The video ends with the Chief standing at a dark cave entrance and from within can be heard some menacing gurgling and grunting. Cortana says "They're coming back, and there's a LOT more of them this time", the Master chief then readies a new weapon that looks like a cross between a rocket launcher and a Needler and it focuses on his helmet and visor and a number of strange digital effects ripple across his visor then the videos ends."

Being a fan of the Halo Series since I was young, it's understandable that I, and millions of others are excited for the next Trilogy of Halo's to be released. However, after reading this supposed, "leaked information" whether it's true or not, I'm concerned. What made Halo a popular name in the gaming world was its deep story, creative environment, and competitive multiplayer experience. Will Halo 4 still be able to deliver the feel of the previous award winning Halo's? Read on.

Let me point out something I don't like right away about this leaked article.

"Halo 4 will expand the series trademark arsenal of weapons and vehicles beyond any other title so far. Players can expect fan favorites to return along with new additions. Halo 4 will also feature the revolutionary new Arsenal Improvisation Mechanics that allow for menu-free, creative customization of weapons and vehicles in the heat of combat. Players will take their fight to a new level by dynamically tailoring their weapons and vehicles to suit any situations or enemies."

Creative customization of weapons? Dynamically tailoring their weapons and vehicles to suit any situations or enemies? I can't help but feel that the new developers of Halo 4 are trying to make their game appeal to the Battlefield 3 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 audience. Why are all developers following this path? We need Halo 4 to return the competitive edge to the gaming world that the previous Halo titles delivered.

Another disturbing line; "At one point we see a heavily modified warthog that has had the wheels replaced two kind of anti gravity devices. At another point the Chief is clearly sprinting which possibly implies a return of armor abilities."

If armor abilities return to Halo 4, they need to be by PICK-UP only. The same way power-ups are picked up in Halo 3. The speed of gameplay in Halo 4 needs to remain as close to Halo 2 and 3 as possible. However, one of the lines from the leaked article suggest that the size of playable area may be much larger than what we're used to with other Halo games. " On a technical level Halo 4 pushes the boundaries of the action genre by incorporating larger battlefields than ever before and players will experience conflicts that seamlessly span land, sea and space."

If this is the case, it seems almost certain that a few armor abilities like; Sprint, Evade, and Jet Packs would be making a return. If this would happen, each armor ability needs to be a pickup. If they're chosen from the start of the game, they need to only be available for a certain amount of time, or only available on large scale maps.

It will be interesting to see how 343 Industries presents their game in the coming months. If this Leak is true, I'm afraid I'll have to stick with Halo 3, or wait it out until a new company emerges and decides to go away from the mainstream path of first person shooters that are available today. Halo 4 needs to bring back the competitive side of gaming where skill determines the better player instead of who has the most time to play to get the most exp points, be the highest level, unlock the best guns, and the best attachments. That isn't what made "HALO" a popular gaming series.

post snip

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Microsoft has a long-standing tradition of alienating the companies that leave it. I don't think they would leak anything about Halo 4 to Bungie after Bungie left. As for the employees at 343i, they have all signed shush orders, and would know better than to tell anyone at Bungie anything about Halo 4. Microsoft is VERY good at keeping a secret when they want to. The threat of being sued is good incentive to keep one's mouth shut.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Microsoft has a long-standing tradition of alienating the companies that leave it. I don't think they would leak anything about Halo 4 to Bungie after Bungie left. As for the employees at 343i, they have all signed shush orders, and would know better than to tell anyone at Bungie anything about Halo 4. Microsoft is VERY good at keeping a secret when they want to. The threat of being sued is good incentive to keep one's mouth shut.

Yeah, I had the same thought on the original read of it. Then after the previous post and the fact that there was no credited poster for the news/rumor, which typically is the norm, I thought sharing it here in a rumor thread was appropriate.

Nice find AD, looking forward to more info. :)

I'll be honest, I don't think Bungie is a big fan of 343i at all. Just have one of those feelings.

If this Leak is true, I'm afraid I'll have to stick with Halo 3, or wait it out until a new company emerges and decides to go away from the mainstream path of first person shooters that are available today. Halo 4 needs to bring back the competitive side of gaming where skill determines the better player instead of who has the most time to play to get the most exp points, be the highest level, unlock the best guns, and the best attachments. That isn't what made "HALO" a popular gaming series.

:epic facepalm: You and me (whoever wrote this article), we're definately on the same page. "IF" this supposed leaked information turns out to be what Halo 4 will be like as far as multiplayer (weapons attachments, vehicle cusomizations, and other customizable options to "Dynamically tailor their weapons and vehicles to suit any situations or enemies"), I will be highly disappointed. :(

I'm not saying that I will not purchase or play or give Halo 4 a chance but I do not want to see Halo turn into another Modern Warfare or Battlefield. I'm actually looking forward to continuing the campaign/story. If it does then just like you (whoever wrote this article), I will stick to Halo 3 (as far as multiplayer). I sure do hope this is just "rumor".

• Like 1

Sounds like whoever made up this rumor:

Halo 4 will also feature the revolutionary new Arsenal Improvisation Mechanics that allow for menu-free, creative customization of weapons and vehicles in the heat of combat. Players will take their fight to a new level by dynamically tailoring their weapons and vehicles to suit any situations or enemies."

Got that idea from:

I personally love the fact of advanced gaming..play halo 3 if you want halo 3 gameplay..

Welcome to 2012 where **** improves and the things we wanted to see as a moderate gamers come to reality. What we dont see is we asked for this and we complain all at the same time:)

I want to feel new and yet familiar with halo 4. Just like halo reach. If you want to have a game like halo 3 in halo 4. well good sir/maam play halo 3 and jump to halo 4 when your ready for 2012..

Thats like saying i miss the old atari games..well sir play the old atari games. when your ready to play in the 2012 era then go ahead:)

• Like 2

I personally love the fact of advanced gaming..play halo 3 if you want halo 3 gameplay..

Welcome to 2012 where **** improves and the things we wanted to see as a moderate gamers come to reality. What we dont see is we asked for this and we complain all at the same time:)

I want to feel new and yet familiar with halo 4. Just like halo reach. If you want to have a game like halo 3 in halo 4. well good sir/maam play halo 3 and jump to halo 4 when your ready for 2012..

Thats like saying i miss the old atari games..well sir play the old atari games. when your ready to play in the 2012 era then go ahead:)

I do miss my old Atari games and still play from time to time. Yes I'm old and yes I continue to enjoy old games.

Thank you for your eloquently wrote and respected reply, I will take it into consideration! :thumbsup:

Totally agree with you mate ^^^^^^^.......I loved the good old halo 2 / 3 days but we can get all nostalgic about things.....it's been 5 years now since halo 3 and lets hope their is a balance between keeping the good old halo feel but also appealing / catering to the greater population or bringing something new as well (bring back ranked though).....i agree with armor abilities (except sprint) being pick ups, not load outs........i also hope they balance sprint with a 4 shot kill like halo 3 and remove bloom........My biggest wish is for forge to be a more fleshed out experience......some of the forgers around make some insane maps....but...... they all look the same....i've mentioned this before but look at MLG......(Which i like watching) but to someone new watching all of the forge world maps they use (except 2), would look boring as bat s&^% when compared to BF3 or COD maps......News players to halo look on You tube etc but if all they see is forge world grey then it wouldn't add to the appeal......i've recently watched some H3 mlg and it kills reach as far as maps go......pit, guardian, construct....If forge can control colour of forge pieces so they aren't all grey soncrete jugles & offer aesthetic objects then the general appeal for the game would increase dramatically IMO.....I've bought all DLC for reach but have hardly played it as it never appears in the more populated playlists.......i'd love to see some more variety in maps, more often in matchmaking....but of maps that are nearly as good as official DLC......

SPOILER ALERT in halo primordial or w.e. 343 is chakas and is still present in the halo trilogy th could've taken parts of sigma 7 over so u will encounter flood nd finally in the concept trailer you'll see covenet like ship passing by marines (primmodeim cover art) its a chance that the arbiter might find john and help him fight the new enemy

SPOILER ALERT in halo primordial or w.e. 343 is chakas and is still present in the halo trilogy th could've taken parts of sigma 7 over so u will encounter flood nd finally in the concept trailer you'll see covenet like ship passing by marines (primmodeim cover art) its a chance that the arbiter might find john and help him fight the new enemy

Can you repeat the first part more clearly?

Halo 4 will be a great game and I hope 343 release a BETA for the game. I know they haven't announced anything about a BETA but it will be great if they release one. The BETA will help them in a way to spot out the Bugs and Glitchers in the game and to see what the fans think so far. Well a BETA will be great and I hope you guys at 343 might read this and release a BETA..

What I think some people need to understand is that just because Chief looks like he has new armor doesn't mean that he actually got new armor. He doesn't have to look the exact same every game, and his appearance is something that shouldn't be stressed over. Now, putting that aside, do you guys want Halo 4's multiplayer to be more like Halo : Reach or Halo 3? I just wanted to hear what you guys think. Also, should the ranking system be more like halo : Reach or Halo 3?