Halo 5 needs Flood that People wont B*tch about

Backdemon

More Flood ideas! This is great!

I know! The flood has a lot of potential to be fresh and exiting! It's like the Mythic Dawn in TES, you can't have eliminated the entire threat by simply trying to hunt every one of them down. They are still out there...they will return, and their answer is at hand.

• Like 1

To add to the Gravemind tricking the Chief plot. As you progress and find the source of Cortana's signal or beacon a group of Promethean Knights teleport into the room, also drawn by the signal or by the knowledge of the Gravemind being there. Suddenly large tentacles erupt from the floor and sweep aside the Knights. They then grab one remaining Knight and tear it in half as Chief watches. Then loud laughter is heard as the Gravemind fully reveals itself.  And if 343 wants to keep with tradition they can have a cliffhanger like in Halo 2.The Chief sees the Gravemind aims a Spartan Laser at it and says some bad*** one liner. Then the credits roll. A lot of people would hate it but it would get me totally pumped for Halo 6.

This campaign could also be a great time to bring back the flamethrower and incendiary grenades.

• Like 1

That sounds amazing. There is alot of ideas going around that Chief will die to finish the series in Halo 6 (dont quote me on that its just rumors about rumors) and I think and awesome death would be a Lone wolf style mission. You have fought the Flood back to a massive Halo, but they have assimilated an entire fleet of covenant and human ships. The flood is about to open a portal that can link to all the other rings (some failsafe thing lets say) and unleash the fleet on the Milky way. You fight through the campaign as chief untill you get to a point where:

you progress and find the source of Cortana's signal or beacon a group of Promethean Knights teleport into the room, also drawn by the signal or by the knowledge of the Gravemind being there. Suddenly large tentacles erupt from the floor and sweep aside the Knights. They then grab one remaining Knight and tear it in half as Chief watches. Then loud laughter is heard as the Gravemind fully reveals itself.  And if 343 wants to keep with tradition they can have a cliffhanger like in Halo 2.The Chief sees the Gravemind aims a Spartan Laser at it and says some bad*** one liner.

Then you switch to your multiplayer spartan who has turned up as relief with a platoon of ODST's and Spartans. The UNSC and Allied covenant (and promethians if they are on your side? who knows?) Fall back and slip out of the galaxy. This suicide squad is sent in to activate the ring. You fight Mega flood, Things that would be boss fights in normal halo games. A mission where you rush to the control room with warthogs, hornets, scorpians, pelicans... you name it. Just a massive battle to the control room across the surface of that part of the ring. Juggernauts and wall to wall combat forms block your way, then massive Gravemind tenticals start smashing apart the convoy. Co-op would be great. Then you meet up with chief and bust into the control room (he can finally do badass takedowns and awesome shots since he will be AI) where the ring is activated and the Lone wolf part kicks in...

Add an amazing ending cinematic and you have yourself the final Halo!

Thoughts on new flood/flood characteristics:

Infection animations - There should be a couple ways your ai buddies/enemies are infected. I think one could be a stealth-ish animation, where the infection form grabs their throat so they only gurgle. It then climbs in as usual and starts controlling them, example: you have marines/elites wandering behind you, one gets jumped from the roof. Gurgle/faint choking and suddenly they are shooting at you and your buddies as flood flesh starts slowly pushing through their armour. A more violent animation is during combat. The infection form tears its way into your friend/enemy who then drops to the ground writhing. Claws and spore pods start to burst out of them as they climb back up and start to charge at you...

Any ideas?

In Halo CE Flood would play dead by falling over and as you walk past they popped back up. Taught me to double tap in FPS games.

Playing dead could make Flame and Promethian weapons that destroy bodies more useful in Flood missions. Great thought!

Lets talk tactics: the way the Flood act. Do we think its up to scratch? Their behavior changes each game; with Halo CE's bullet sponges who leap at you from long distances and play dead to Halo 3's squishy swarming flood that becomes a moving wall of yellowy-green flesh. Any ideas on how to improve/adjust this or even incorperate new concepts? 

I have already rambled on alot about how the flood should become more of a horror based creature than a melee practise target so i have the idea that in sections of the game where there is limited flood (beginnings of missions, areas where its just being introduced in the campaign etc) that combat forms and infection forms are more hunting you. Example: walking through a swamp like in Halo CE the ai would actively take cover more often (and not shoot at you untill really close if it has weapons) keeping out of sight without great additions to programming in the game. When it gets it could jump on your helmet as has been mentioned before.. anything is possible.

How do YOU think the Flood should act in Halo 5?

How do YOU think the Flood should act in Halo 5?

When I think about the Flood in Halo 5 I imagine that they are re-introduced due to some meddling by UNSC scienctists who are looking to create the next gen Spartan. (Perhaps these new sinister super soldiers are also influenced by promethean as well?) Of course, while they do create some new super warriors, there are also many cast offs, and the original floodlings. Just this thought alone can give rise to many new possibliities for the Flood, including even new armor abilities, armor and weapons.

My general thought is that there is something that goes wrong deep in the UNSC science labs, and basically the Flood Infection has escaped, as is found out as the campaign moves along. Perhaps John 117 is asked to investigate, and has to make it to some destination where he can re-activate his suit. Has anybody else considered this idea of the Flood?

Oh, and forgot to mention that I truly hope Halo 5 happens on another Halo Ring. Just saying....

Thanks Frankenzer! Now I know this post has converted at least one person! :yay:

CrimsonVolver I too agree that the next Halo game should be on a Halo ring. Im kinda against the UNSC as a bad guy thing, Ive always seen them as the "were gonna get through this guys!" faction. One that can get smashed by anything and still turn around and spit in the face of death. Though that is just me. It would be an interesting twist to see something like that happen in Halo 5. Flood armour abilities could be interesting, please share your ideas. This is about how we can make the flood enjoyable for everyone.

Idea for Flood form: Beserker. A combat form infected by multiple infection forms (so can happen to AI allies that get swarmed by carriers during campaign) and has swolen up to halfway between carrier and combat form. The huge claws have erupted from the body, long tenticles hang from a putrid swolen rib cage and 3 infection forms can be seen erupted from the cavity where the throat used to be. It is a very fast attacker unlike normal flood (swings at you very fast), lunges alot more often, and explodes on death into 2 - 5 infection forms. If your shields are down (or you are with unshielded allies) it will rush at you/them and seem to bear hug you. One of the infection forms crawls from the Floods chest and grapples to yours. Kinda like an assasination that can be stopped by allies. Instakill if you dont stop it. Just something to make you protect your buddies more before they too turn into beserkers. 

Ideas people! Mention them so people can be Inspired and/or Horrified!

• Like 1

Suicider

A flood that has multiple large bulges on its body, when killed, it releases a cloud of spores in the environment, infecting everything not spartan. Possibly infected Unggoy and Kig-Yar. It's primary role is to run blindly into enemy forces and explode, leaving flood spores in the air. It explodes if killed before that.

(Insert name)

(I know its impossible to have a flood hunter, hear me out, K?)

The hunters armour plating, the worms(used for food source) have allowed a true flood form to grow Inside the armour. It is hunter armour with large growths in it. In the back, the 'Razor-Sharp' spines have been ripped off and tentacles grown around them, allowing for a fast and deadly melee weapon alongside shield and fuel rod. The armour protects the form like a hunter, meaning it must be killed in the usual place.

Huh?

Edited by BaconShelf
  • Like 1

The Wailer

A seemingly normal human, sat leaning over(to hide the infection form and crying for help. When approached, it grows a large claw and hits the person near it, knocking them over or killing them. It then stands up and quickly is fully consumed. The person WAS fully infected before but shows no signs of infection until it hits the player.

Launcher

Is an evolution of carriers, where it 'throws' the infection forms onto enemy forces, where the infection form latches on as usual

Shield carriers

If we bring back juggernaut, why not the carriers holding Jackal shields cut from halo 2 as well?

• Like 1

If you want to know what I want the Flood to be like in Halo 5, just go to WangTim3's channel on YouTube and watch The Mona Lisa. Also, I don't think 343i should worry about making the Flood innappropriately scary for the younger players; Cortana was practically naked in Halo 4, and there was plenty of cursing. I like the idea of a quick-time animation for an infection form (popcorn Flood) jumping on Chief's visor. It should be a visceral experience.

• Like 2

Thanks Frankenzer! Now I know this post has converted at least one person! :yay:

CrimsonVolver I too agree that the next Halo game should be on a Halo ring. Im kinda against the UNSC as a bad guy thing, Ive always seen them as the "were gonna get through this guys!" faction. One that can get smashed by anything and still turn around and spit in the face of death. Though that is just me. It would be an interesting twist to see something like that happen in Halo 5. Flood armour abilities could be interesting, please share your ideas. This is about how we can make the flood enjoyable for everyone.

Well, I don't mean UNSC is so much the enemy, but that finally unlocking Forerunner technology that created the FloodPrometheans has benefits and consiquences. You think of how Spartans did not necessarily join of free will, and were enhanced in many ways to become the perfect killing machine. Unlocking Forerunner technologies would cause the UNSC to explore and expolit its benefits, while underestimating the severity of consiquences--those Halo 5.

As far as Flood Armor Abilities go I would have to think more about it. It is really just a 'what if?' thought at this point. I think, however, that the Armor Abilities would be a by-product of the next gen Spartans created by the UNSC Scientists.

So, besides the Flood as we know them, plus these next gen Flood/Promethean soldiers I have mentioned, I also imagine there would be many "experiments" gone wrong, so to speak. Powerful experiments that could not easily be disposed of, but were kept for observation and testing.

As far as the Flood Armor Abilities goes, I think I will start a new thread and let the community contribute and participate in the exploration of this concept. Thanks for your comment.

CV

If you want to know what I want the Flood to be like in Halo 5, just go to WangTim3's channel on YouTube and watch The Mona Lisa. Also, I don't think 343i should worry about making the Flood innappropriately scary for the younger players; Cortana was practically naked in Halo 4, and there was plenty of cursing. I like the idea of a quick-time animation for an infection form (popcorn Flood) jumping on Chief's visor. It should be a visceral experience.

I agree. I want the Flood to be fast, furious, and ultra scary. It would fit the overall theme, because I imagine the Chief will be going through a dark journey of self-discovery him self, given his years of service, losing everyone close to him, including Cortana, etc. I want to see something like FEAR 3/ FEAR 2, Dead Space, DOOM 3, etc. OH, and I would not mind a return of the practically naked Cortana either. :P

• Like 1

Awesome. Point established: Flood needs to be scary.

Idea:

Flood spore cloud: The greenish mists from Halo Wars that ravage your infantry. I believe much could be done with this. Even story based elements. The gravemind can taunt Chief by creating images in the Spores of Cortana, Keys and Johnson. You can have sections (i cant believe im referencing COD: Black Ops) like in black ops where Flood spores fill the room and your marines are sent writhing on the floor as they choke to death. Also allows for ODSTs to be awesome buddies that can survive this (HINT - Bring them back!). Flood spore clouds can erupt from most flood, obviously in different amounts. Infection forms and combat forms its just little wisps that dont do anything and it just dissipates, but if you are fighting swarms of carriers it gets interesting. Was thinking it could be used instead of the gravemind cutscenes that were in Halo 3.

Baconshelf I like your ideas, especially for the hunter flood. So the flood kinda crawls inside and eats the Mgalekgolo worms then uses the armour? Now that could be freaky, especially if the hunter corpse is lying on the floor and jumps up at you!

CrimsonVolver I see your idea now. I still prefer UNSC as good guys but to be fair there are some Powerful crazy people in ONI. Im just stubborn haha. Also the Mona Lisa is a great example of how flood should be! You are genius!

H1CH_FL_gruntcombat02_rm.jpg

• Like 1

Nice. One thing I havent asked you guys is what you didn't like about the flood in previous games. Thats what this topic is about, trying to make the flood lovable so it will return.

What Did and Didnt you like about flood in previous Halos?

Also Keep up the ideas!

What I hated about the flood in previous games is that the missions that were centered around them were absolute h*ll and made Legendary seemingly impossible at times (Looking at you the 7ish  MC/Arbiter/flood missions in Halo 2...). If the flood missions can be made to the epic proportions that we've discussed then this issue will be extinct. Also I just got back from vacation and saw the new ideas that have been added since I last posted and they are awesome! @ForgeMonitor, there is something similar to the sleeper in Aliens : Colonial Marines and it's called the Boiler. The mission that they were in was the most suspenseful mission in the game. They would be a great addition to the Flood collective.

What I hated about the flood in previous games is that the missions that were centered around them were absolute h*ll and made Legendary seemingly impossible at times (Looking at you the 7ish  MC/Arbiter/flood missions in Halo 2...). If the flood missions can be made to the epic proportions that we've discussed then this issue will be extinct. Also I just got back from vacation and saw the new ideas that have been added since I last posted and they are awesome! @ForgeMonitor, there is something similar to the sleeper in Aliens : Colonial Marines and it's called the Boiler. The mission that they were in was the most suspenseful mission in the game. They would be a great addition to the Flood collective.

I love Alien/Aliens (only those two). I will have to check out that book(?)  CV

I love Alien/Aliens (only those two). I will have to check out that book(?)  CV

Yeah you and everyone else Alien 3 and Resurrection suck hardcore, and Colonial Marines is a game that just got released a little while ago. It got bad reviews but I personally enjoyed it because I love Aliens. It also is probably the biggest gaming controversy in recent memory, since the E3 demos totally lied about the game, and were FAR better than the final product.

Yeah you and everyone else Alien 3 and Resurrection suck hardcore, and Colonial Marines is a game that just got released a little while ago. It got bad reviews but I personally enjoyed it because I love Aliens. It also is probably the biggest gaming controversy in recent memory, since the E3 demos totally lied about the game, and were FAR better than the final product.

Oh, that's right. I saw a few ads for the new Alien's game. I have been wishing for many years that a truly decent Aliens FPS game would turn up. I still want to try out the game. I think the makers of Battlefield  would be the best qualified to make it happen, in my opinion, but I think 343 could pull it off. CV