Concerning the theory about Cortana becoming human through the Librarian, or some other Forerunner reincarnation:

Has anyone read the full book series of Ender's Game? It is eeeeeerily similar to John's relationship with Cortana. In the books, the main character Ender meets the first and only Artificial Intelligence in the universe, accidentally and unwittingly created by mankind. Her name is Jane, and the two become partners and eventually good friends. At the very end, using some crazy meta-quantum physics that the author made up, Jane is given a human body and the ability to love another person she met. While that person is not the main character (Ender), the story of Halo does look like it's leaning towards an Ender's Game-style ending.

Which I think would be awesome. I'm pretty sure that would be an epic ending to the Halo Heptalogy. John goes off on another mission to Requiem (Spartan Ops leading up to this adventure), finds the Librarian again, and amidst all the plot twists, Cortana is discovered to be dormant and alive inside Requiem. John appeals to the Librarian's mercy, and through the "magic" of superior technology, she creates a mortal incarnation of John's taboo crush. That way, they get to be with each other and feel more human and less machine because of their relationship.

Thoughts? Anyone else read those books?

343-

How dare you guys show any of his face. Chief was the Man in the armor, Cortana was his soul. The game was enjoyable...but showing his face and "killing" off Cortana concluded the franchise for me. . . Only way I'd continue the game is if she is Saved... and dont just give chief a new Cortana - Actually Save her. . . . AND show NO more of him in the skin. -Excluding the books - Chief was a faceless hero and thats how he should have stayed.

I know everyone will have an opinion on this, but anways, here's my respectful 2 cents. I actually appreciated them showing a bit of his face. And to be honest I feel it completely fits within the theme they're shooting for in their trilogy: "fleshing out" Chief's character as a man and dealing with the whole man vs. machine bit. We've seen Chief in three games where he felt more like an impersonal force with occasional boughts of humanity than an actual man. But Halo 4 is different. From the scene where he adamantly promises to save Cortana upon learning about her rampancy, to the final scene where she welcomes him home (not as 'Chief', but as 'John') and he stands there alone with the ship falling apart around him, 343's purpose is clear. The armor coming off in the epilogue symbolizes what they've been trying to say (and the direction they're planning on taking with the series). And that is simply this: there really is a man under their after all.

I have doubts that they'll ever do a full-view face shot; but I wouldn't put it past them to do a future obscured view of his face. And I'm okay with that. Full view would be too much I think. But slightly obscured snap shots that us fans can still capture, blow up on the internet, and freak out about? I'm okay with that. :) I've had lots of adventures with Master Chief. I'm pretty excited to finally meet John.

• Like 1

I've only played the games and haven't read/watched/listened to any of the other stuff out there for the Halo universe except a brief review on rampancy and another on the Human-Forerunner war, so my knowledge of what exactly the technological limitations are in the Halo universe is limited to "no time travel" (which is based on the inference that if it were possible then someone would have gone back to kill the first flood spore ever made).

With that in mind, the Librarian has demonstrated a knack for planning and foresight rivaling that of the First Civilization from the Assassin's Creed universe (who were so accurate in their predictions that you could actually have a conversation with the recordings of themselves they left behind). The Librarian made specific mention to the fact that Cortana and Chief's pairing was preordained, so I don't think it's that much of a stretch to suggest that she knew most or all of the dangers they would face together and made preparations to keep them safe (which accounts for Chief's insane "luck"). She may have allowed Cortana to leave Requiem still rampant because her rampant personalities were what allowed her and Chief to stop the Didact, and then used some crazy forerunner tech to beam her to safety.

My prediction for the future is that Cortana will be quarantined by the Librarian on a forerunner facility that Chief visits and her rampancy will completely overcome her. Chief will have to fight through the facilities defenses to reach some core computer or something where a device given to him by Halsey is supposed to fix her or at least put her out of her misery. That won't work, but Chief going to such lengths to save her will cause something to click inside Cortana and her rampancy will progress all the way to metastability. Reunited, Chief and Cortana go on to save the universe and either go out in a blaze of glory or ride off into the sunset.

That's an interesting take on the plot. I still think there are enough hints in the game both from a plot point as well as a thematic perspective that lends itself to Cortana somehow becoming human.

Remember that "rampancy" is really considered a terminal disease and inevitable fate of all smart A.I.'s in the Halo universe. Resolving or curing it has been painted as impossible. Thus, it seems oversimplistic for Dr. Halsey to simply "flip a switch" or come up with a pat answer to just "fix" Cortana.

From my understanding of what rampancy is, a big part of it has to do with the A.I. reaching a level of sophistication where it understands what it truly is and the tragic implication that it can never become human no matter how "close" it can approximate that nature by more and more knowledge. Thus, insanity ensues.

In my opinion, the true "holy grail" of AI evolution is thus the unattainable goal of fully "becoming human."

In order to truly "cure" Cortana's rampancy, she must become human from her digital origin. Normally, this would of course be impossible. However, Cortana has a chance because she is not like other pure A.I. A part of real human tissue (from Halsey) was used in her creation. You can argue that to some extent Halsey is both Cortana and John's "mother."

In addition, we know that part of the Composer can do is to digitize human beings. The results were not good of course but as this technology exists, the implication must be considered that the reverse may also be possible. We still know very little about the true nature of the Didact and the Librarian and the ultimate role of both Master Chief and Cortana. We know already that the two of them (NOT JUST JOHN) are important for the future of the universe.

In the overall scheme of things, I think 343 wants to take a look at Master Chief and Cortana and decide what to do with that relationship. In terms of story telling, all good things must come to an end. Part of the definition of a good story is that it must have an ending, else it is incomplete. What then do we look forward to with the Halo epic as centered around Master Chief? Is it conceivable or even desirable to have him be spun out in endless sequels and adventures with Cortana as his constant guardian angel with her usual quips and sarcastic comments? Eventually, such a formula would grow stale and boring. We've already SEEN that relationship in the first Halo trilogy by Bungie and while it works fine in establishing the characters and relationship, we now want to see EVOLUTION.

I still think the endgame is to save Cortana's soul and mind and also grant her the impossible holy grail and dream of becoming human. Against the backdrop of your standard "save the universe" plot line with the Didact, i think it would be incredibly poetic and satisfying that you could also have something so personal and profound yet just as epic occur.

Saving Cortana should thus be just as difficult and just as epic as saving the universe since from John's point of view, the two may be almost equivalent. Indeed success in one may unwittingly be interwined with success in the other.

343 Studios have hinted that Halo 5 will be "darker" in tone. It's their "empire strikes back" middle chapter. In keeping with my instinct on how this story goes, I think it is increasingly likely that Cortana will be subverted by the Didact and become the primary villain in the next game. We certainly see small hints of possible temptation or corruption during Cortana's moments of ranting and raving during her rampancy. I don't think it's a stretch at all to think that she may be converted. There's certainly precedent for this in the Halo mythos with Mendicant Bias for example. We already see Master Chief disobey a direct order from Captain Del Rio to protect Cortana (which should come as a shock to those who understand John's background) and this is foreshadowing of the conflict that will be introduced when he will likely be ordered to destroy Cortana to save mankind. Will he? Can he?

Finally, in Halo 6, we will see Cortana's redemption at the hands of John and the ultimate resolution of the threat of the Didact. The issue of HUMANITY and what it truly means to be HUMAN appear to be a central theme in the Reclaimer trilogy. We have on the one hand a race (the Forerunners) who were willing to sacrifice their humanity and become "digital machines" to escape the Flood. Ironically, we have AI who are perfect digital creations who desperately wish to be human. Then we have humans like Master Chief who are more machine than man in their emotional state and how they deal with the world. I see a definite dichotomy and tension between the character of the Didact and Cortana and I think the ultimate resolution and eventual defeat of the Didact will be intertwined with Cortana achieving her final cure from rampancy by becoming human.

If this happens, then the reclaimer trilogy will end the adventures of Master Chief and Cortana. While the Halo universe will go on, this pair of heroes will get the rest they so richly deserve. As a fan of the CHARACTERS of Master Chief and Cortana, I want a better fate for them than endless war and battle. Master Chief's existence if you stop to really think about it is unspeakably sad and Cortana's fate no less tragic. I hope and I think 343 Studios is committed to telling us a story that will put these two beloved characters in a better place and ultimately that should involve Master Chief taking his armor off to become John and Cortana becoming human so they can stop fighting, start living, and also eventually die in peace. In this, the choice of Cortana reminds me of the lyrical beauty of Luthien and Arwen of the Elves in J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings when they also made their choice to live as mortals with their loved ones and then pass on rather than the endless immortality of their brethren alone.

• Like 3

I really don't know where I stand with this. On one side, I think the death of Cortana is a good thing. Master Chief has always seemed to be a pretty emotionless and machine-like person, but with the death of Cortana, maybe it will help him to realise that he is more than that, maybe this new trilogy of games will focus on loss and discovering who you really are.

But then again, I don't see how they can kill her off either. She's an important character to the series, and was instrumental to saving the galaxy along with MC. How would he have deactivated the Halo rings without her? And what if a similar situation arises in future games? From everything that I've read so far, I reckon she will come back either at the end of Halo 5 or the beginning of Halo 6, but not the way we all remembered her as.....

I would have to agree with the first statement, the game it's self is absolutely amazing, the campaign, the multiplier and spartan ops are great. But i really don't see how a halo game can be a halo game without Cortana. I mean just try to imagine going through the campaign without Cortana, it just doesn't work. So yeah, i really hope that she isn't dead cause truth be told halo will end for me and i think alot of others. Though in saying that i trust 343 to do the right thing by the fans and keep her live.

• Like 1

Imo, Cortana will return in a human-like form. I don't think that she left part of herself in chief's armor-remember that chief had it removed. The composer is destroyed, so I doubt that would be a major factor in the upcoming games. But John keeps his promises, and I doubt he broke one he made to Cortana. He will be given a temporary Cortana from Halsey and will then be confronted with the possibility of bringing the old one back.

I swear, if cortana is actually dead, I think I'm done with the Halo series. 343i, you better not screw up with one game a story I've played since I was ten. I'm counting on you guys to live up to bungie.

Amen. I'm glad there's a lot of us on here who agree. 343 is playing with fire in a big way here.

There's no need to reinvent the wheel here. The older players have adapted to a ton of change in this game, with the new enemies, weapons, the centralized role of the infinity, etc. Why alienate so many people by removing cortana from the series??

343 needs to listen to the loud fanbase in this case. Cortana is central to the story, there is no Master Chief without Cortana. All I have to say, if they don't bring her back, I'm through with Halo. Words cannot describe how disapointed I am at 343 Industries after the conclusion of Halo 4. Just like Guilty Spark always managed to royally piss off the players, I guess 343 Industries lives up to its name.

• Like 1

343 needs to listen to the loud fanbase in this case. Cortana is central to the story, there is no Master Chief without Cortana. All I have to say, if they don't bring her back, I'm through with Halo. Words cannot describe how disapointed I am at 343 Industries after the conclusion of Halo 4. Just like Guilty Spark always managed to royally piss off the players, I guess 343 Industries lives up to its name.

Yeah it's a shame. It's ironic because before halo 4's release I was super worried that they would mess up the multiplayer. I actually really like the multiplayer, but I'm done with the game because they killed the campaign. My guess is that 343 didn't understand how important cortana+chief was to the fan base, and dreamt up their own idea on a replacement for cortana. The logical solution was to quickly kill off cortana in halo 4. It's reassuring to see all the knee-jerk reactions to cortana's death, because I doubt they'll completely ignore what some 95% of the fanbase wants.

I don't think they will, or ever did plan to kill off Cortana. If they were going to they would of made sure it was final and it clearly isn't when you see some of the better and very possible theories out there suggesting how she could have survived. Therefore the only logical explanation into doing it is they wanted to "humanize" the Chief. Which looks like it could open up a very interesting storyline for the coming games.

However on a more negative note, Halo 5 is supposed to be a much 'darker' game and although this pretty much guarantees the return of Cortana, she may as previously suggested be on the wrong side or in a diar situation.

Moving on, even if 343 got it wrong initially and planned to kill of Cortana, surely after the opinions of the majority of the fan base have been voiced they will realise and change their plans.

Just an additional thought, I don't want to wait until Halo 5 so I'd like something to happen in Spartan Ops regarding Cortana, which in my opinion it's incredibly likely that you'll find Cortana, or a clue to her whereabouts as Crimson team.

Finally, I know I've mentioned it already but does anyone know if there's anything behind the terminals on Anniversary linked to Cortana... Saying she's alive. I read a comment on YouTube about it?

I know everyone will have an opinion on this, but anways, here's my respectful 2 cents. I actually appreciated them showing a bit of his face. And to be honest I feel it completely fits within the theme they're shooting for in their trilogy: "fleshing out" Chief's character as a man and dealing with the whole man vs. machine bit. We've seen Chief in three games where he felt more like an impersonal force with occasional boughts of humanity than an actual man. But Halo 4 is different. From the scene where he adamantly promises to save Cortana upon learning about her rampancy, to the final scene where she welcomes him home (not as 'Chief', but as 'John') and he stands there alone with the ship falling apart around him, 343's purpose is clear. The armor coming off in the epilogue symbolizes what they've been trying to say (and the direction they're planning on taking with the series). And that is simply this: there really is a man under their after all.

I have doubts that they'll ever do a full-view face shot; but I wouldn't put it past them to do a future obscured view of his face. And I'm okay with that. Full view would be too much I think. But slightly obscured snap shots that us fans can still capture, blow up on the internet, and freak out about? I'm okay with that. :) I've had lots of adventures with Master Chief. I'm pretty excited to finally meet John.

I totally agree, I loved them showing a bit of John. I mean how many games have we played with Master Chief? We knew this game wasn't going to be about the Chief, it's about his humanity. You can't write off the guy in the suit when your trying to show his human side, right? Plus he seemed to have more personality in this game... Which is what 343 was aiming for I believe.

Whoa, so you won't play the game no more just because Cortana "died"? What were you thinking at when in every single "Making of" 343i made it was said that "The real plot of this game is that MC is human, Cortana is going rampancy and bla bla bla..."?

I bet you thought "They will save Cortana with the magic of love and she and the Chief will marry and live long and prosper".

But don't cry. Cortana is not dead. Actually, i thought they would have shown some hint in the Legendary ending where we see a glimpse of Cortana being still alive.

Instead of the very, very, very disappointing ending they made. Showing the eyes of John. What a surprising and interesting cliffhanger!

I bet you hate ME3 ending too. "Shepard dies, it sucks!"

• 3 weeks later...

Cortanas death made master chief experience being human.

I'm taking citations from the Interrogation of Halsey and the unknown integrator. Children minds are more easily accepting of indoctrination Dr Halsey. The Spartans where designed for suppressing humans. Often sociopathic, difficulty with socialization, Spartans where broken. Cortana as well as other AIs was a tool used to manipulate these perfect Soldiers. (Halsey handing jonn-117 a AI AKA Cortana during flash back during the interrogation) stating "I supplied the tools to maintain that efficiency. " The Gravemind also shows Cortana what it is like to be human by showing her the memories of Eugene Yate, a Marine in the UNSC who had been infected by the Flood. http://halo.wikia.com/ Human Weakness. You will notice in the cut scenes Cortana talks to john at an emotional level, portraying rage, fear , and hope. Cortana was changing from her original design she was suffering from the disease called human condition. Cortana, " I can give you forty thousand reasons why that sun is not real.i know be the emitter Rayleigh effect is disproportionate to its suggested size. I know because its stellar cycle is more symmetrical then that of an actual star. but for all that Ill, never know if it looks real.. if it feels real.. before this is all over promise me.. you will figure out which one of use is the machine. "

"Chief! John, I need you!" - To John-117 in the Halo 4 . Cortana also shows empathy in the cut scene on Ivanoff Research Station when the weapon is released killing all the humans. Cortana stating she had "monitored the data pulse and asked if master chief was o.k. " " These people are gone. " John also does not hand over the AI to Del Rio during Cortanas rampant state, Showing signs that john is becoming human and not just a machine but a person refusing a direct order from a superior officer. End battle the Didact is about to execute john say that "humanity’s imprisonment is a kindness "; when Cortana somehow becomes physical the Didact says " your compassion is miss placed " , "Im not doing this for mankind ". In the end she dies for John giving him the feeling of loss, we all felt. The last scene master chief says to Cortana "it was my job to take care of you ". His obvious need of her beyond what would be protocol. The end of the game lasky sympathises with John, john says "our duty as soliders is to protect humanity whatever the cost", but it is what lasky replys with "you say that like soldiers and humanity are two different things, soliders aren’t machines, there just people. john says as lasky walks away from the bridge "(Cortana) she said that to me once, about being a machine).

(Personally I believe that Cortana developed a love for him, which is the most beautiful human emotion you can ever know. But Cortana wanted to be human she would have suffered if she went on and would have continued rampancy. As she could never taste, touch, see, or experience the best parts of being human. Master chief taught her before her death, how to love and be loved and that was not a wasted life. Their no fairy god mothers in halo universe to turn Cortana into a real girl. John in the legendary ending shows him taking off his armor he was retiring, wouldn't you? in the books he loses soldiers and Spartans he cared about. John never had a real human life that earth offers. lets not turn this into a rocky franchise please.)

P.S Cortanas avatar in halo 4 was retarded, but i guess sex sells , I liked the idea that you don't need sex to love some one.

It's a brilliant twist, we got so used to Jens voice that we didn't pickup on the fact that since H1 she has been stuck in some place other than with the chief for a period of time, H4 had to bring a game changer and it did but her character plays on the male psyche in more ways than is usual. Love it, most players are male and protecting females and children is genetic but surprisingly we also kill a lot of them as well.

Let's just clear a few things up here, people.

1. I highly doubt Chief's face will ever be shown. Keep in mind Frankie is head of development. Someone who played a key role in the creation of the first 3 games. He knows what makes Halo, Halo. With that in mind, it is also their game. We were aloud to see the chief's eyes because of a reason. 343 put that in to kick off their trilogy. The idea behind it is the same as when Chief removes his helmet in CE. And yes, I am aware you do not see any of his face so, please do not respond with that reply.

2. Cortana: There are 2 more games left in this trilogy. Frankie specifically said that this TRILOGY (not just this game) would focus on the relationship of Chief and Cortana. Did you ever stop to think that losing her and having to fight to have her again (after their relationship is that intensified from 4) would be incredibly touching. How into that would most Halo players be? The relationship for Chief and Cortana was taken to an entire new level in Halo 4. Sure, we've had to fight to go get her twice in the first trilogy and it was pretty intense. How do you think it'll be this time? I'm pretty sure it'll be a tad bit more emotional.

3. Forerunners: The game has not left it's original concept of story. Halo CE, 2, and 3 all had Forerunner stories happening while you fought. This is only bringing us the main plot that was originally intended to be.

Simply put, if you don't like it anymore; don't play it. The rest of us who understand that games grow just as we do as people. Why can't the characters change with us? I say it makes it that much better.

Let's just clear a few things up here, people.

1. I highly doubt Chief's face will ever be shown. Keep in mind Frankie is head of development. Someone who played a key role in the creation of the first 3 games. He knows what makes Halo, Halo. With that in mind, it is also their game. We were aloud to see the chief's eyes because of a reason. 343 put that in to kick off their trilogy. The idea behind it is the same as when Chief removes his helmet in CE. And yes, I am aware you do not see any of his face so, please do not respond with that reply.

2. Cortana: There are 2 more games left in this trilogy. Frankie specifically said that this TRILOGY (not just this game) would focus on the relationship of Chief and Cortana. Did you ever stop to think that losing her and having to fight to have her again (after their relationship is that intensified from 4) would be incredibly touching. How into that would most Halo players be? The relationship for Chief and Cortana was taken to an entire new level in Halo 4. Sure, we've had to fight to go get her twice in the first trilogy and it was pretty intense. How do you think it'll be this time? I'm pretty sure it'll be a tad bit more emotional.

3. Forerunners: The game has not left it's original concept of story. Halo CE, 2, and 3 all had Forerunner stories happening while you fought. This is only bringing us the main plot that was originally intended to be.

Simply put, if you don't like it anymore; don't play it. The rest of us who understand that games grow just as we do as people. Why can't the characters change with us? I say it makes it that much better.

+1,000,000

So, The chief goes off and tries to find her? but where does he start? Where did the Didact fall to? Requiem. So....again he goes there only to find she has been so fragmented that parts of her has changed and not for the better, in the end he has to make a choice between her and those around him. Protect those that he has been trained to protect or retrieve a vital part of himself even if it is trying to kill him.

Let's have a psychopathic Cortana being slowly retrieved but hurt as she can't reintegrate without losing parts of herself driving her to kill anything and everything.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't get why you guys are so attached to Cortana. I felt sad when she died, and my eyes were fairly watery, but not playing Halo just because she's gone? I don't get that. I played Halo CE, 3 and 4 and I'm not getting this massive connection you guys are. Anyway, her dying was needed. The protagonist can't win without sacrifice, and he ended up losing Cortana. Also, losing Cortana makes him wonder more about the things she told him over the years, like the "Which one of us is the machine here?" thing. That and the fact that you got a glimpse of his face is showing that the Chief is becoming more human. This trilogy is the reclaimer series. Master Chief is the reclaimer, and so this trilogy will obviously be about him, his flaws and qualities, his losses and his gains, and most importantly, him turning back into a human. He got a major loss in Halo 4, he lost Cortana. Cortana did not know what it was like to be a human, and neither did the Chief, but they both made each other more human. And so, Cortana was very special to the Chief, and by making him lose her, they are really pushing forward his character development. Knowing most game developers, he'll probably get her back at the end of Halo 5, but I seriously hope not, it would be too cheesy and happy-ever-aftery.

EDIT: Also, to the people thinking that Master Chief is retiring: That is a really stupid thought. 343 know that if they removed Master Chief, hardly anyone would still play Halo. Also, the next trilogy is going to be about his development, so of course they are keeping him. He was probably being given the new version of the Spartan armour.

• Like 1

I don't get why you guys are so attached to Cortana. I felt sad when she died, and my eyes were fairly watery, but not playing Halo just because she's gone? I don't get that. I played Halo CE, 3 and 4 and I'm not getting this massive connection you guys are. Anyway, her dying was needed. The protagonist can't win without sacrifice, and he ended up losing Cortana. Also, losing Cortana makes him wonder more about the things she told him over the years, like the "Which one of us is the machine here?" thing. That and the fact that you got a glimpse of his face is showing that the Chief is becoming more human. This trilogy is the reclaimer series. Master Chief is the reclaimer, and so this trilogy will obviously be about him, his flaws and qualities, his losses and his gains, and most importantly, him turning back into a human. He got a major loss in Halo 4, he lost Cortana. Cortana did not know what it was like to be a human, and neither did the Chief, but they both made each other more human. And so, Cortana was very special to the Chief, and by making him lose her, they are really pushing forward his character development. Knowing most game developers, he'll probably get her back at the end of Halo 5, but I seriously hope not, it would be too cheesy and happy-ever-aftery.

EDIT: Also, to the people thinking that Master Chief is retiring: That is a really stupid thought. 343 know that if they removed Master Chief, hardly anyone would still play Halo. Also, the next trilogy is going to be about his development, so of course they are keeping him. He was probably being given the new version of the Spartan armour.

This trilogy is going to about the relationship of Cortana and Chief... I hardly think they've killed her off.

When the didact falls pieces of cortona's clones are still wrapped around his body... I think that when the didact fell off of the hard light bridge, he was immune to the composer just like chief, so he survived and was shot onto earth( with Cortona on him) and in spartan ops they find a promethean knight soul with recent human memories... Therefore the didact is on earth making a secret promethean army... I also think that he will fix Cortona, and we may even see an evil cortana... So in halo 5 I think that there will be a human vs promethean war on earth!