TonyArnold2

I really hope I'm just getting the wrong impression, but right now, forge mode looks pretty bad. There is no massive "Forge World" like in Halo: Reach. There are only 3 maps that are very small (in comparison to Forge World). While I get that some people might like small maps, it seems like it's going to be impossible to build the massive cities and racing maps that you could build in Halo: Reach. Someone please tell me I'm missing something because forge is possibly my favorite mode and it only seems to have regressed from Halo: Reach.

Yes i agree, but at least there is other *** maps that you can forge, and more things like magnate , duplicate, Trait zones every thing :D and more way more structures.

• Like 1

I'd rather have 3 much more useful, attractive, and different maps instead of just one massive one that you'd never use up all the space in. I Still run out of budget in halo 4 without even making a map a tenth of the size of one of the maps. The maps are still pretty huge and lets think about something, forgeworld was great but it was practically all empty space, where would you build? The Colosseum, the pinnacle, the island, the canyon, the cliff. There was nothing special about these locations, they were just a bunch of grass and rocks just in a different shape. Halo 4 has three unique environments all with custom landscapes designed with countless uses. Forge world was big, but halo 4's is better.

• Like 1

I have seen a lot of B!#CHING and MOANING but not enough action. I understand that the community was not heard on many aspects but money talks. Nothing positive will ever come from getting on a forum and crying. Take action 343I community! Start a POSITIVE thread with ways to improve forge. Have legitimate and valid positive criticism with intellectual points of action to back up whatever you decide to put down. Ultimately like any good business Microsoft is into money more than negative feedback. But......they cannot make money without a fan base. We have more control over Halo then we give ourselves credit for. The only difference is that 98% of the people who b!#ch and moan don't do anything about it. I, for example, have asked a well-known group of top forgers and top MLG players to record their thoughts. Then I will compile this list and send it to a member of Certain Affinity. My one letter will not be heard or even considered despite the amount of well-known people involved and their status in the community. But dozens of intelligent, honest, and polite letters cannot be ignored. Take a stand and DO something instead of just whining.

p.s. if you want to argue this, then peace out. If you would like to disagree with me then make valid points to prove your point. Ultimately, we are a team and in this together so don't treat this post as an attack on anyone because it's not. Just stating the obvious necessary steps needed for any change.

how can i fix the shadow light problem????

at this point nothing has been proven as a valid one step action to fixing the lighting glitch. Here are a few "ideas" of what seems to be working.

- be careful with object count of dense multi-polygonal pieces. Don't pile them closely together and be careful on budgit.

- visuals like wires DO NOT affect lighting glitch

- spawn objects like initial spawns and kill zones DO NOT affect lighting glitch

- glass still affects frame rate but not necessarily the glitch

everything else I have heard is less then 80% supported. Give it time and hope for the best!

Halo 4's Forge...an absolute failure. Two massive steps back from what Reach's forge was. Hell, from what I've managed to do in forge already, it just looks like 343 took Reach's broken forge system, and multiplied it 100 fold. And I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but everywhere you look on Erosion, you'll see some grotesque gaping seams. Some of them, you can flat out fall through.

Not only that, but 343 actually managed to destroy the definition of symmetry with this game. Doesn't matter how hard you try, on all 3 forge maps, nothing you'll do will ever make a map symmetrical, which you could easily accomplish in Reach. Symmetrical maps on Impact are next to impossible to create because of how terrible the broken forge system works on that map. Not even joking, using the nudge tool, or magnets will make a map look symmetrical enough, but if you just look at the map from above, it's blatantly obvious that the map you intended to be symmetrical is horribly out of proportion thanks to the forge mechanics.

Hell, just like in Reach, some of the "symmetrical" forge pieces you have aren't even symmetrical when placed on opposite facing sides of one another.

In any case, I don't care much for the size of the maps...I'm more focused on how 343 actually managed to take Halo Reach's broken forge system and made it even more broken with H4. I'm not at all focusing on the lack of gametypes, certain tools and other options Reach had...I'm just absolutely amazed by the fact how 343 literally managed to turn the forge system upside down on its head and in a 180, and gave it a nudge in the opposite direction of where Halo 3's and Reach's Forge systems went. What does that mean? That means 343 actually accomplished the impossible feat of regressing the mechanics of Forge, despite all of the advanced tech and programs they have at their disposal.

To put it simply; Halo 4's Forge is broken beyond repair, and has gone backwards on the evolutionary timeline of Forge. Halo 4's forge is far worse than anything that has been seen in Halo since H3. Nuff said.

I have had over 350 maps submitted to me at this point on Halo 4. I have over 100 beautiful, smooth, and perfectly symmetrical maps. In some cases it may be the forger skills and not the editing programs that are to blame Just saying. If you need proof I will be more than happy to show you map after map of forge perfection from those who are willing to adjust and use what we are given.
  • Like 3

the only thing i dislike about forge right now is the item count. can only put down 4 flashing lights? really?

everything else is workable. and i actually like forge a lot better now with the magnet tool and such. i think people are overreacting. now they just need to fix the fileshare and waypoint and ill be a happy camper.

• Like 1

1. Forge world was over the top, even the devs behind it admit this. It was a mashup of several previous Halo maps and was never designed for racing tracks that use the entire thing. The best maps were the ones that were localised and rich in detail, imo.

2. Anyone who doesn't understand how a budget works should stop posting in this thread. Arguing with you is like fist fighting a blind man. Once you move out of your parent's house and experience the real world, you'll understand.

3. The skybox on impact is, in the immortal words of Peter Griffin, FREAKIN SWEET!

• Like 1

I have no idea what some of you people are thinking, frame rate? I know literally three ways to make forge world lag 1 put a grid in a mountain and turn it on normal physics 2 using the action sack game type where you can indignantly spawn golf balls spawn over 150 at the same time 3 put insane amounts of explosives each set to instantly spawn after being destroyed and blowing them up and I only got a little lag from that. I forged countless maps with absolutely no lag unless it was one of those three things used as a specific part of the map. Also why wouldn't you ALSO want large maps, what does it hurt? NOTHING. In fact, it would improve not only forge, it would in the long run improve halo 4, 343, and forges reputation then increasing sales increasing further potential for the game and series. Now just lets say the three map packs that are being released along with them is a free, bonus, forge world. Now lets say that 343 had somehow either included a patch or secretly had falcons, hornets, vehicles that where old (or new) mods like the hoverhog or the motorcycle that were professionally done, also basic ai spawners, it doesn't matter you imagine the rest. Just think any interesting, but near possible thing. Imagine what things would be like with this. Image things with just forge world. This is a big deal! Having this and even those old game types would make forge awesome. People would be making new classic's just like the old race maps, cities, obstacle course-like maps, anything. People could make new versions of fat kid, duck hunt that could be huge and suspenseful, writers mind (huge ramp where infected get splattered by the humans who are going down to the teleporter sending them up but if they manage to kill all of the humans on the vehicles, they win), cops and robbers on huge complexes that work with other parts of the map in sync to overall improve the gameplay and the more recent hunger games with vast plying areas. The thing about large maps is that EVERYONE benefits from them. Meaning, if you like small maps only play on a small portion of the map and if you like large maps you can use all of the map to build. Now what the flaw with small maps is, is that it only benefits people who like small maps. That is what is wrong with halo 4 forge at the moment. That's all there is to it. People who make vast creations can't build anything because there ISN'T ANY ROOM! That makes forge void to all of the large map makers because its like giving crayons to all of an entire school districts students, the kindergarten through about third grade students would like it as the older student would find them useless. One more thing that personally ceases to happen now is, getting ideas from the map. In forge world I could look at the island and think, hmmm what if I put a space ship there... oh! and over here have banshees to board the ship, and with these little specs of maps it's like, I could make a tunnel. Its just so hard to work with and the maps are way to boring that people make. The good things are nice but who cares with such small maps! Even if you don't want forge world to come back, or some new huge map at least try to help us and 343 become a better community and company. If you do want larger maps to be added then DO SOMETHING! Make more topics about this, get people recognized by 343 to say something, get other people talking about, organize some kind of request, and at least comment on this post or even better make a new one. For now, have fun in little tiny ravine or erosion. :sweat: A lot of typing :laughing:

the only thing i dislike about forge right now is the item count. can only put down 4 flashing lights? really?

everything else is workable. and i actually like forge a lot better now with the magnet tool and such. i think people are overreacting. now they just need to fix the fileshare and waypoint and ill be a happy camper.

I agree. I hate the item limits and small map, but apart from that I'm finding it great.

Yes, I'm late to the party. Deal with it.

if thats the case then im not keeping halo 4 ill sell it then becouse that sound way to dump. now to the people that do not agree with us i see 3 reasons why you are not

1. you are trying to troll Halo becouse when the new game workers step in 343 and made too big of a change in the story they took halo away and added Call of duty + twilight.

2. you have never once seen halo 2 - 3 - reach if you had you would be saying the same like all of us not like the noobs that have not once seen the goods of halo.

3. you dont care what they add becouse you all can mod it on how ever you like or want it to be but we cant becouse we want to earn it not mod it.

Woah woah woah. Hold on a second.

1. I agree that the MULTIPLAYER aspect does seem a little too much like CoD to me, but the campaign? Not really. Also, watch your words. I don't think that comparing anything to Twilight is allowed here.

2. Wow. Could someone explain to me how finishing all the campaigns of Halo 2, 3 and Reach and playing online on 3 and Reach for a combined total of well over 100 hours AND actually owning every Halo game, with the exception of Combat Evolved and the interactive board game not actually have seen the "goods of Halo"?

3. Uh, no. I'm not going to deny that I mess around with modded maps, but I don't actually make them. Plus I rarely finish them, because there is very little point in finishing them, mainly because I can't send them to Forgehub, because that goes against their map submission rules.

4. Next time you make an argument, spend ten minutes on making it legible to a normal human, please?

Bro, you could only put down two lights in Reach, something which even I'll admit got annoying after a while, so your argument is completely invalid. However, I cannot disagree with you on the file-share and Waypoint issues.

We want Forge World and Falcons and Hornets and all everything!

First off, yes, I was a little bit disappointed that there was no massive map, but now I've had a look at some maps, it's actually pretty good. Also, something that crazfulla and someone else who I can't remember off the top of my head is that Forge World was, and somehow still is, over the top when used. Any fool can make a map the size of Texas, but it's the smaller maps which are, usually, the best maps. If you want proof, go have a look at some of the maps that The Halo Forge Epidemic have featured on Halo Reach. Are they small? Yes. Are they detailed? Yes. Have some of the maps that THFE featured been put on the Reach matchmaking playlist? Yes. Therefore, my case is settled*.

Now, onto the UNSC air vehicles. Yes, there's a lack of them, but there's also a lack of Covenant mechs and yet none of you are whining about that, are you? To be brutally honest, I think 343 were a bit lazy here, but all that means is that you have to be creative, and if you're not creative, you shouldn't be forging. It is literally as simple as that.

Finally, and this is something which I want to bring up, you can still make urban maps. The only decent map for this is probably Impact and it's still a massive pain in the ***, but it is still feasible and, with a couple of weapon balancing tutorials, it can actually be half decent.

The two main problems that I have is that there isn't a relatively big map for large aesthetic forge maps and that fact that it feels like it's turned from Forge 2.0 for simpletons or pros to Forge 3.0 for dummies.

*Apart from the Forge art pieces. Those are the ONLY exception to the rule

• Like 1

Send a letter or email to 343 or Certain Affinity guys and be a part of the change. Help them help us, but do it with respect and positive criticism. Have you ever heard the saying "You can catch more flys with honey than vinegar". I assembled a lobby of pro-forgers, pro-players, and a few that are just knowledgeable to get feedback. We spent almost 3 hours going over in detail what was wrong and what was right with Halo 4. We collectively presented, discussed, and even argued the changes that needed to be made. Although this list is mostly the negatives, there were many points of appreciation to Certain Affinity for the many things that they did right and yes the list is just as long for that. Here is a VERY simplified version but add to it or tell me that I am wrong if you dissagree. Either way, you can choose to do something and be heard or just cry to a computer screen which accomplishes nothing

Forge

- bring back precision movement ASAP

- ability to despawn items and create disappearing items

- all pre-made structures interrupt the forge worlds and are unnecessary. They also add frame rate.

- we need a super flat map

- why are there rounded corners on pieces which don't line up properly

- why is the Colosseum wall(which is primarily used for floors or perimeter barriers) not flat along the edges used to merge with

- why are their invisible barriers on rocks, map perimeters, and tin cups

- the aesthetic stamps symbols ruin the ability to flip pieces and be creative

- Object cost needs to relate to polygon count for ex 20 railing small's cost the same as 100 silo 3's......????

- we need more angled transitioned pieces

- why introduce the dynamic lighting if it is broken. We need to be able to enable it if we choose. Have an enable lighting switch which can be activated when your done with a map

- they did a good job changing the effects of glass but changed the flatness of all of them

- lights don't have a good range but we are grateful for more of them

- bring back ability to use water in our maps

- there is no instant respawn while in forge mode? why

- zoom is broken and doesn't work

- the center axis on pieces is not centered on most pieces for ex rotate a 2x2 ramp on a 2x2 block and it sticks of the sides on 3 rotatoions

- we need interchangeable skins to use on each map

- too many unnecessary soft boundaries

- the skins given are not uniform and don't support symmetrical forging ex. 2X1 bank vs 1X2 bank

- rotation on angles when not at a 45 or 90 degree is not a true angle

- magnets need to be able to be toggeld between center points or corner points

- too much movement for the pieces when you save

- bring back the purple and orange and get rid of nova and pen and ink

- thanks for multiple labels on objects. So much easier

- textures need to be simplified to allow merging

- the grab points on objects are automatic unlike REACH where you grabbed the precise area clicked

- load out cameras are completely non functional now. Why are they blurry.

- We need to be able to add trees and shrubs

• Like 1

The Forge in Halo 4 has been improved over previous version as far as build speed and magnets are concerned. The lack of a "Forge World" is somewhat sad though. I don't think that it is necessary to offer another Forge World to please the masses since the variety of locations is nice for Forging in Halo 4. What should be implimented in future Forge maps is clear though; the ability to Forge in all areas of the provided map. For instance, why can't I make use of the backside cliff walls on "Ravine"? Other than that, here are a few other bullet point suggestions.

- Offer the ability to make use of knee high water in a future Forge map. I know that many Forgers out there enjoy implimenting water into their maps based on asthetics alone. (Minor importance for now)

- Halo 5 Forge should include a batch selection tool for moving a linked grouping of objects. This is one of the greatest features offered in the "Skate" map creator because you can spend serious time developing a particular feature and then transfer all of its parts together to a best location. It's easy to spend a healthy amount of time working on a particular base or section of cover only to find that it would all work a bit better a couple feet to the left or right for sight lines.

- I agree that an undo button/option would be fantastic! Even an "Abort Move" button to use once you grab and move the wrong piece would be great. I know that the "Lock" mechanism is included to assist with the issue, but an actual undo is invaluable. Perhaps each piece could even maintain a "Last Location" memory that could be accessed through the menu in order to return it to its previous location if it has been moved. This would be particularly handy if you've Forged yourself out of an area of the map and are required to move one of your pieces in order to add a necessary element within that space. (Ex: Fine tuning grav lifts below created floors with no magnetic snapping.)

- PLEASE... Offer us "Mirrored" set pieces in the pallet. I don't know the details, but this seems extremely doable considering that no new pieces or textures would have to be added. Instead, an object could be visually "Flipped". For example, if I want to use the "Staircase" on a symmetrical map, I can't recreate an exact duplicate side since the steps would always be dedicated to the left of the object. This is true of some "Rooms" and many other pieces as well.

- This is a small suggestion considering that this feature was just added, but for Halo 5, this should certainly be implimented. Gravity Volume areas should be adjustable in size and shape like other zones offered in Halo. Additionally, the ability to designate whether or not the area affects players and/or just objects would be amazing. There seems to be so many Forgers out there already creating lifts and doors on their maps making creative use of these Gravity Volumes. The ability to more easily control your moving objects without affecting player movement would be great for lifts where a player must rely on riding the object as opposed to entering the lift space and simply jumping. (Ex: Ivory Tower lift re-creation)

- Lastly, but directly related to the last suggestion. Can we somehow impliment "Plot Points" for pieces/objects in conjunction with a "Designate as Button" feature. For example, it would be nice to create a set piece that looks/acts as an active button that, when activated will move the associative piece(s) from a desgnated "A" plotpoint to "B" plotpoint. This would open up a world of gametype possibilities where the use of a unlockable door or elevator is necessary for progression or offensive attack. (How amazing would it be to have to fight your way into a base in order to activate the main hanger door to further access your objective?!!)

Overall, the Forge has had some really nice improvements, but the full potential and freedom of the system lies within many of the suggestions stated above. While there will always be something more that the people want, I beleive that these tools will set up all Forgers with the basic tools necessary to go above and beyond. Thank you for the tools that we already have, and I look forward to seeing the next steps evolve. Until then, happy Forging!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

343 cant make forge world its tooo much content for the current gen xbox with all the stuff they had to bring us i loved forge world but all 343 needs to do to improve forge in halo 4 is to make the boundarys longer because ravine and impact would be nice maps to build on its just need need more space. Or add a map in next dlc with more space a bit more flat land and a UNSC flying vehicle

My only complaint is that sometimes I don't have enough pieces to build what I want, and that Forge is missing some critical features from Reach:

-a zoom feature when in Monitor mode

-a precision moving feature activated by clicking in the stick or pulling the trigger

-constantly resetting the view when grabbing a piece

-loading lighting every time the player switches between Monitor and Spartan

Impact is good for a blank canvas map, but I do agree with the idea that there should be a Forge World map.

I'm still new, so sorry if I say something that's already been said.

I don't have a problem with the lack of large boards cuz I made a no-vehicles map that ended up being larger than planned and it was simply too much running.

People ended up playing in 1 central area and the majority of the board was ignored.

I really don't get the race type maps anyway.

I like playing a shooter as a shooter

I disagree.

It may not live up to the expectations of most forgers, however it is anything BUT horrible.

Take a look at my maps, and you'll clearly see that a lot is possible. You just need to take your time, and think about it. It does take some getting used to, but there are some truly stunning forge maps already out there.

Players need to take note of the fact that the game has only been out for less than 3 months, so after time you'll all see the full potential of Halo 4's forge.

To the haters out there:

-Trade your privates for some nice, clean spectacles.

Ponder on that while you hate.

-Mr. 007

• Like 2

1. Someone prove me wrong! I would love just one example of a map that spanned forge world which was amazing!

2. If you can't make a map(even a big team map) on these forge environments then I would blame the maker for a lack of creativity and skill and quit blaming Certain Affinity(the makers of these beautiful environments) or 343 Industries. I have seen them, I have played them, and I have loved them!

3. I have over a dozen amazing race maps. How can you guys claim that this can't be done?

4. etc.

5. etc.

6. etc.

I will not and have not claimed to be all-knowing about forge because I don't. I am far from being one of the best forgers out there. But I do enjoy forge and I also take the time to try and understand the elements, reasons, physics, and background to forge. I truly believe that Certain Affinity would have loved to of had the new Xbox and it's capabilities to deliver what they wanted to achieve. But they didn't. They did the best that they could with the time date that Microsoft set and the current Xbox which was going to deliver it. I personally think that Certain Affinity deserves more appreciation from you guys. I can't wait until Halo 5 comes out and all of a sudden you guys, who are so negative, start singing praises to their name. Yes, there are problems which need to be addressed but they did an amazing job overall. Any of the negative posters on here, I challenge you to all come to a lobby together with me and after a few hours of maps try to restate your comments. I would hope that you would possibly see the good in Halo 4 forge and stand behind Certain Affinity and 343 Industries and there desires to improve the game we all love.

• Like 1

I love forge in Halo Reach...I'm usually never the one to complain about games...EVER. But I really hope 343 Industries reads this because I honestly loved the fact that they created 3 maps, but you can't delete the things that are there. Also, the boundaries don't let you go too far. Ravine is my favorite, but its sad that I can't go far out in the ocean or even high up in the air. And Impact would be cool, but I cannot go as far out as I was hoping. Hopefully a DLC map comes out with one large forge map (with flat lands and hills) (NO Buildings from start). And it would be nice if I could actually go in some water because the only water you can use in forge is the tiny pond in Ravine. One large forge map would definitely make me pay. Hopefully in Halo 5 or whatever the next game is, can add themes like rain/snow/desert! And also giving you things to fight against such as the covanent etc. And for sure have at least one HUGE map that you can actually go far out or above in!