Wraith vs. Scorpion

Which is better?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Wraiths or scorpions?

Two to Three? o.O

Somehow, I've taken out other tanks before with only one shot. With no visible damage. Most of the time its 2sk for other tanks. And as far as Revenants, Warthogs, Ghosts, Falcons, and Mongeese go, its a 1sk.

I'm pretty sure each tank has weak points. No idea where, but I'm pretty sure they're there.
  • Like 2

Wraith has a weak spot at the back..

I haven found any weak spots on the scorpion so I have to say.. Scorpion.

I looked up the weak spots fot Reach's vehicles.

The Scorpion's weakest spot is the vent on its back, the damage is tripled there. One Laser kills it, one rocket, a full sniper clip, and 3 plasma launcher shots.

The Wraith is obviously the power core thing, where damage is quadrupled. One Laser kills it, two rockets (for whatever reason), one sniper shot, and two plasma launcher shots.

• 1 month later...

Scorpion is easier to shoot and thats why its the most popular

but If someone had the patience to learn to judge the right angle for the distance and be able to get this right most of the time they would be darn near unstoppable because the main disadvantage of a wraith is judging the right angle for a shot.

if this was overcome in my opinion the wraith would be more effective then the scorpion

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on which game you are talking about. In Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo Wars and Halo 3, the Scorpion is better because it does more damage and can take more damage. They nerfed the crap out of it in Reach though. So in Reach, the Wraith and in all of the other games the Scorpion is my vote.

I have to say they each have their plus sides, but I prefer a scorpion.

Wraith: Pros: Easily kill highjackers, good at closer range, larger blast radius. Cons: Not as easily maneuverable, very slow plasma mortar, and a very weak spot in back. Slow reload time.

Scorpion: Pros: Can demolish any artillery with a maximum of two shells, infantry, vehicles, and aircraft, with a high velocity round with excellent accuracy. Has no major weak spot. Also has faster reload time. Cons: Can't hit anything behind an object, can't kill highjackers unless a turret man is available, and is slower.

• 2 weeks later...

The wraith only has a boost to improve its speed, without the boost it would bairly go any faster than a sprinting spartan. the scorpian doent need a boost because is fast enough as it is when it reaches full speed (+ it just wouldnt intergrate with the tracks)

The scorpian is more powerfull and it is easier to track a moving warthog with its turret. it is also alot more powerfull. only problem being is that when you get hijacked you cant do anything about it, where as on the wraith if you get hijacked from the fromt you can aim staight down and kill th hijacker and only take minimal damage.

The scorpian also has a 360 degree turret spin, the wraith is fixed in one position and its an aboslute ...... you know what..... to turn around in, esecially some where where a 360 turn would be nesesary.

Over all Scorpian is alot better.

-Edited by Moderator-Note: This isn't Facebook-

• 2 weeks later...

This is a dumb debate. Wraith is more Anti-infantry, while the Scorpion is more Anti-vehicle and limited Anti-air. Pitting the two against each other, of course the Scorpion would win.

Huh?

No, that is incorrect on many levels. The Scorpion is less manoeuvrable than the Wraith so a good mortar can easily take the turret off of the Scorpion as they cannot evade the mortars as well as two Wraiths opposing each other. I have tested this theory many times, and you aren't the first by any means.

I was on Crescent Hill with my Wraith and the enemy Scorpion was by Red Base on Blood Gulch; and so, the battle began: The Scorpion was moving around to try and spot me or uncover my presence, but I moved with him and he couldn't do so. Eventually, he stopped moving and started firing pot-shots off at me. As the Scorpion did this, I started firing mortars which got closer and closer each time. He started moving around from side to side evading my shots, but as you know the manoeuvrability isn't as good with the Scorpion, so I increased the velocity and angle of my mortars and started getting him as he strafed in a line-like motion; he was somewhat trapped and couldn't do anything as to change strafe he would have to stop completely.

It is very easy to destroy a Scorpion in a Wraith, you just need to practise and be good with the Wraith. They cannot boost like the Wraith can, which is why they get caught off of guard quite often. The Scorpion isn't as good as many people suggest; there are a lot of disadvantages with this vehicle as well.

The wraith only has a boost to improve its speed, without the boost it would bairly go any faster than a sprinting spartan. the scorpian doent need a boost because is fast enough as it is when it reaches full speed (+ it just wouldnt intergrate with the tracks)

The scorpian is more powerfull and it is easier to track a moving warthog with its turret. it is also alot more powerfull. only problem being is that when you get hijacked you cant do anything about it, where as on the wraith if you get hijacked from the fromt you can aim staight down and kill th hijacker and only take minimal damage.

The scorpian also has a 360 degree turret spin, the wraith is fixed in one position and its an aboslute ...... you know what..... to turn around in, esecially some where where a 360 turn would be nesesary.

Over all Scorpian is alot better.

-Edited by Moderator-Note: This isn't Facebook-

That is very true about the three-hundred and sixty degree rotational turn; however, when I turn my turret around without moving the Scorpion's body, I have become somewhat disorientated when moving around. When using the Wraith, however, it is a lot easier to boost and then turn around which has prevented me from getting hijacked many a time. Also, if you haven't noticed, the Wraith turns a lot faster than the Scorpion does when moving the main body.

Secondly, you cannot state that the Scorpion is better because it is more powerful and easier to track opponents. In my opinion, that's not challenging yourself and it's being lazy. The Wraith requires dedication, precision, practise and skill and you basically implied that all the Scorpion requires is a trigger finger, a steady aim of sight and accuracy. A vehicle is not automatically better just because it is easier to use. That's like saying 'Living Dead' requires more skill than 'MLG' as it is easier and you get Shotguns. Pointless, irrelevant and invalid. No offence.

It is a very controversial debate about which vehicle is better, as both have similarities, differences, advantages and disadvantages. We could sit here for hours and argue about which vehicle is better. Ultimately, it all comes down to opinions and who thinks what is better. You cannot sit here and slander the Covenant's Wraith, nor can you sit here and slander the humans' Scorpion as they are so similar and different in a variety of ways.

End of rant.

I looked up the weak spots fot Reach's vehicles.

The Scorpion's weakest spot is the vent on its back, the damage is tripled there. One Laser kills it, one rocket, a full sniper clip, and 3 plasma launcher shots.

The Wraith is obviously the power core thing, where damage is quadrupled. One Laser kills it, two rockets (for whatever reason), one sniper shot, and two plasma launcher shots.

To elaborate on this part: the Wraith requires two entire clips of an Assault Rifle for it to be either destroyed or severely devastated. I haven't studied the Scorpion much, but I would imagine that it is very similar. If both hatches are open, a good sniper could easily snipe the operator before any serious damage is caused to any one side, or a well tossed grenade in the hatch or vent will also work just as well.

To elaborate on this part: the Wraith requires two entire clips of an Assault Rifle for it to be either destroyed or severely devastated. I haven't studied the Scorpion much, but I would imagine that it is very similar. If both hatches are open, a good sniper could easily snipe the operator before any serious damage is caused to any one side, or a well tossed grenade in the hatch or vent will also work just as well.

It actually is easier to snipe a person who is in a scorpion than it is in a wraith, because the person in the wraith is set a bit lower down in the vehicle, so you have to be higher up to get the shot. (Trust me on this, it's kind of one of my things lol)
  • Like 2

I say the Wraith is better, and no, this isn't because I am a Sangheili fan.

HERETIC!~ You and your filthy Species have dishonored the Prophets!

For that, You have no right to get your slimy little fingers on this SHINY HUNK OF A BATTERING RAM!

I'm Voting For Wraiths as well.... Purely because the Honorable Jiralhanae will uphold the will of the Covenant

and destroy anything that gets in the way of Salvation... CRUSH THE TRAITOR SHANGHEILI!

( Yes, I Totally did NOT vote for that just because Brutes use it.... And I'm NOT a biased Brute Muscle Lover.. *sarcasm* )

HERETIC!~ You and your filthy Species have dishonored the Prophets!

For that, You have no right to get your slimy little fingers on this SHINY HUNK OF A BATTERING RAM!

I'm Voting For Wraiths as well.... Purely because the Honorable Jiralhanae will uphold the will of the Covenant

and destroy anything that gets in the way of Salvation... CRUSH THE TRAITOR SHANGHEILI!

( Yes, I Totally did NOT vote for that just because Brutes use it.... And I'm NOT a biased Brute Muscle Lover.. *sarcasm* )

Well that was entertaining watching how an innocent vehicle discussion turned into a Sangheili bashing contest. The Jiralhanae are dead, we glassed their planet and finished off the filthy disgrace. These actions were just and created a new opening for all species who walk and seek the path to salvation. That is why the Jiralhanae aren't in the new "reformed" Covenant.

If you wish to continue this, utilize the messaging system and do not spam this thread.

• 4 weeks later...

I would have to go with the Scorpion. While I agree that it is slow, the damage output and virtually limitless straight line trajectory are unparalleled. What would significantly increase the wraiths effectiveness is if it could fire it's plasma balls faster. Sometimes I don’t even consider the Wraith worth my time in Halo: Reach.

I would have to say that it really depends on the situation. I try not to be "that guy" who can't make a decision, but it is a double-edged question.

-In most close-quaters battles, I would definetly choose a Wraith over the Scorpion. The Wraith has it's mortar gun, which allows to fire almost directly infornt of you and, should a hijacker be mounting you hull, with a well placed shot you can kill him without destroying your tank. It's boosters also allow for some splatter kills, a feature almost never seen with a Scorpion and the fact that it hovers (like all Covenant vehicles) means that it is able to employ spinning manoeuvers, so as to avoid any hijackers on its rear. It is also a great bombardement tool, if you are on a map with buildings blocking your line of sight (since you can simply fire over them). Also, as the Director mentioned, the driver is slightly lower in his seat, which permits for a little more protection against enemy snipers.

-However, in any wide-open (with large lines-of-sight) maps, I would choose the Scorpion without a question. It's cannon can fire at great accuracy to enemies in the distance and is a 1-hit-kill to most vehicles. With a well set team, prepared to kill any hijackers (since the Scorpion is pretty much useless when it comes to killing hijackers) a Scorpian can be border-line invincible. When you have enough space between you and the enemy, I would say the Scorpion would win the majority of those battles. It's also very good at killing players who are jet-packing and those who are camping and who occasionally poke their heads out.

*So, that's why I have trouble choosing a favourite between the two. If I would have to simplify my reasons, I would have to say that using a Wraith is like charging in with a Shotgun, while using a Scorpian is more like using a Sniper Rifle. Perhaps some of you will not agree with this logic, but give it a little thought and I think you may see where I'm coming from with that comparison.

• Like 2

From my own personal experiences they both have good and bad sides. The wraith is quick and able to dodge alot if you know how to use it, its more so effective if you have other vehicles assisting. down side, its very vulnerable depending on the map. the scorpion, slow not very maneuvarable but very powerful. east to get hijacked best to keep a certain distance from opposing teams. i would have to choose the scorpion only because i just suck really bad with the wraith and its alot easier to get kills as opposed to using the wraith.

Tactic: Drive scorpion backward whilst facing backwards, have a gunner. Gunner kills jackers and jacking the tank from behind is more difficult. Also, which halo is this? The wraith doesn't get same firepower as tank until reach... Halo 2 it shoots a mortar 2/3 as strong as a tank, same with halo 3.