Can we have armor abilities without them being so central?

YouHaveAProblem

So, I, like many others, aren't that big a fan of the armor abilities in Halo Reach. But I'm also pretty sure that no amount of whining will get them removed from Halo 4, or even if that would be for the better.

What I am saying, is that I could accept armor abilities, and maybe even grow to like them, if they take more of a back seat in Halo 4, sort of like the equipment in Halo 3, only a little better integrated.

Evade, and most of all, sprint, were welcome additions, and I'm pleased to hear that sprint is now a standard ability. It was one of the few things CoD had, that Halo needed.

Gameplay-wise, armor lock, and especially jetpack, are pains. The invisibility one is a little annoying, but it don't bother me much.

But those are not the biggest problems, as far as I'm concerned. What annoys me the most in Halo Reach multiplayer, are the maps, and how they are designed. They aren't bad, most are pretty decent, but they are all very much designed to make the armor abilities central, most noticeably the jetpack.

Pretty much every small-to-mid-sized map in Halo Reach is full of levels and lines-of-sight were you can shoot, but not travel directly between. That is, unless you have one of those cursed jetpacks. (Uncaged, I'm looking at you!)

I see many possibilities for integrating armor abilities in awesome custom games and special gametypes, I just can't possibly imagine it to be for the best to have all of them available in standard playlists like Team Slayer, Arena and Team Doubles. At least not in the state that they are today.

So, these are my two cents on armor abilities, hope I don't appear as yet another whiner, but I really believe we can have our cake and eat it too! Please don not the armor abilities as central as they are in Reach now, especially the jetpack.

• Like 6

I applaud this well thought out post. Well said! It's refreshing to see somebody accept the fact that armor abilities are going to be in the game, and not whine about it. You brought up some very good points.

So! On to your comments, then. I agree 100% about sprint. It absolutely belongs as a default, everbody has it ability. It's been mentioned in other threads to expand on it slightly, though. Combine evade and sprint, making it possible to sprint forward or evade backwards. The reason for this was for a sprinter using the sword, however with shots slowing you down if you're sprinting now, I don't know if it's needed any more. Thoughts?

Armor lock is out, so no need to worry about that one! Jet pack on the other hand is still in. The only thing I can say about this is hopefully the maps will be better suited not just for the use of jet pack, but all of the armor abilities. With Reach, the multiplayer maps were mostly just ports of campaign levels, and then forge world. Hopefully with all of the multiplayer maps for Halo 4 being built from scratch, they are taking jet pack into consideration.

With armor abilities, I'm going to assume they're in all the playlists until I hear otherwise. With that being said though, if they do them well, and the maps are designed to function with and without their use, then I don't see it as being that big of a problem for them being in Team Slayer, Arena, Team Doubles etc.

• Like 2

Agreed with you both. If they can implement armor abilities without affecting the overall gameplay, I'm game for it. In reach armor abilities just really took away that solid gameplay. Map control meant nothing because of armor abilities (and I agree with YouHaveAProblem, it was jetpack, most notably). I'm all for change if it's for the better and I realize 343 has to make changes. 343 did say that there is a counter to every armor ability now and they've said they don't want one dominant armor ability. It seems they're getting everything on a level playing field, which is the best thing to do. Halo 2 and 3 competition was so great because everyone started in the equal to each other.

But yes, since they are including armor abilities I'm putting my trust in 343 to do it the right way and I think they will. Very excited for the game!

I don't think they'll be so central. The Halo 4 article in the latest Gameinformer made mention that armor abilities will be unlocks and not there from the start - at least that's what I remember, I may have to go back and reread

I'm glad you agree! Really looking forward to Halo 4, but, after Halo Reach, I fear it wont give me the same good feel as Halo 2 & 3 did..

Reach was a good game, but it lacked a certain "it", compared to Halo 3. AA isn't the only thing that "ruined" it for me, but it's a good chunk of it..

• Like 1

I'm glad you agree! Really looking forward to Halo 4, but, after Halo Reach, I fear it wont give me the same good feel as Halo 2 & 3 did..

Reach was a good game, but it lacked a certain "it", compared to Halo 3. AA isn't the only thing that "ruined" it for me, but it's a good chunk of it..

AGREED bro! Halo reach was just so different. It lacked that solid competitive gameplay that makes Halo so great. Especially Halo 2 and 3.

In my opinion, no BR and the inconsistencies of the shooting system on reach was about 50% of the problem for me.

The other 50% was armor abilities. I love the feel of an epic battle and armor abilities almost took that out of the equation. Jetpack or armor lock was the worst, so thank goodness they're getting rid of armor lock.

But that was Halo Reach and I'm looking forward to Halo 4 now. I think 343 will make everything better for the gameplay!

• 3 weeks later...

Armour abilities that I think should return to Halo 4:

• Armour lock
  • Drop shield
  • Active camouflage
  • Evade

The sprint armour ability should work like in COD and be available alongside the other ability you have chosen.

Jet Pack could be there too, just not available in most default gametypes, like it is in Reach.

I still don't understand why they decided to keep Armor Abilities considering how much everybody hated them.

But since they persist on having it in Halo 4, then yes I guess I'd prefer them working like Halo 3's equiptment.

Like sai above if they are not so central they could be great just because there back does not mean they will be used in the same way.