Rumour: Microsoft to Scrap Microsoft Points

Spectral Jester

The Microsoft Points system is set to be scrapped, according to a report by Inside Mobile Apps.

The system, which replaces real currency with Microsoft Points and is employed across Xbox Live and a number of other Microsoft marketplaces, will be ditched by the end of the year.

According to the report, Microsoft will switch to real currency for all marketplace transactions across XBLM, Zune Marketplace, Games for Windows Live and Windows Phone 7. You can currently only use real money on a select few items across those services.

This leads me too 1 question, if this does come into force, as a parent would you be happy adding your credit card details to your son or daughters account so they can buy DLC?

This to me is a bad thing, I personally don't like giving out credit card information to anyone other than my bills. I'm not a parent but I can understand why you wouldn't want to give out cc info just to buy your kid a map pack. I hope that when this goes through that they also do a major overhaul of their security. I'll probably end up just using a pre paid visa gift card for all my xbl transactions and I have a feeling that other people will do the same.

Well if they go with using the type of cards that you can purchase for the PS3, there won't be too much of an issue. I think it's about time that they go with an actual currency system instead of using a silly point system. I would much rather see just how much a game costs, rather than have to convert the points into dollars. They could develop new cards to replace the old MSP cards like I was saying, which would be similar to the store credit cards for the PSN that you are able to purchase.

You know I like that they are getting rid of them, maybe I will be able to stop spending more money then you want to just to buy point packages which always give I about 500 more points then I need. Not to mention it will be easier to tell how much things actually cost without MS points. As far as credit card issues go, I already have a credit card tied in with my account so nothing is changing for me there.

Eh, idk. I still prefer MS points over dollars. The reason MS had the points system anyways is so that when people talked about DLC they could say "It's 800 MS points" rather than saying "It's $10 dollars, 7.63 Euros, 130.42 pesos, and 770.5 yen." Most people know how much money a certain amount of MS points costs in their native currency, but few people know how much $10 dollars is in drachmas. I think the only reason MS would do away with the points is so that they can charge more, or because a universal currency is coming out.

why would microsoft change the system...

ignorant

Im hardly being ignorant. im just saying that i don't want to use my parents' credit card, and she won't let me anyway, so, there should be another system for DLC instead of MSP.

And maybe because people are in the same situation where they don't have a credit card, but they still want DLC? unless they release more Ultimate editions for huge games, i don't see how they will make any more of a profit then the huge profit from MSP.

If you'd like to message me how i was being ignorant, go right ahead.

I like the MS points and I dont like putting vital information on a platforn that has been hacked several times (Dont say I didnt get hacked it got hacked a lot of times only microsoft didnt tell it to the media)

I'm not sure that i agree with this change although it won't affect me since i use a prepaid visa for all online purchases and any purchase that is made without my consent gets refunded and investigated. I haven't had a bank account or credit card in the past 5 years and i plan on keeping it like that since after what my old bank did i no longer trust banks period.

So, for those who don't have a credit card to use or their parents don't want to use their cards i would suggest the following for those who have a walmart. Go in walmart, look for "Greendot" and other prepaid visas. Load your cash onto it there and then go buy what you need to from live. That is what i do anytime i want something. I keep a minimum of $20 on it at all times to cover the monthly xbl fee.

Besides the credit card mishap, I'm truly happy they might be removing these points. PSN does have a decent way of buying things. Just see how much it is rather than converting it, like Mystic said. Of course they'll have to do all sorts of tweeks and advances, modifications, sure! At least we'll be getting a more real system like PS3.

Besides the credit card mishap, I'm truly happy they might be removing these points. PSN does have a decent way of buying things. Just see how much it is rather than converting it, like Mystic said. Of course they'll have to do all sorts of tweeks and advances, modifications, sure! At least we'll be getting a more real system like PS3.

It'd be nice if xbox had a avatar system like the ps3 did. PS Home was awesome.

I didn't last 40 seconds before nearly fainting due to overdose of epicness. No wonder all my friends hate xbox except me! Just wow.

Best thing about it is, there are minigames in the psn home that unlock more avatar items and sometimes actual ingame items for other games. Back when i had a ps3 i loved it, i lost it due to a ex going against court orders and selling it when i moved back from idaho (shes in jail now for that) and only reason i got a xbox was for halo and because all of my friends had xbox. Otherwise i am a ps3 man all the way.