What could 343i do to make you want to buy Halo 5?

Buns

This topic is mostly for the people who disliked Halo 4 but anyone is allowed to voice your opinion.
So as the topic says if you disliked Halo 4 what could 343i do differently about the next Halo to make you consider purchasing Halo 5? It would be nice if you could be as detail as possible and don't be afraid to say things like "remove Spartan Ops and put back Firefight"(I would like that 343i k thx)

Some rules to follow to make sure no one gets out of hand.
Your post CANNOT insult 343i in a disrespectful manner.(Example: 343i should never make Halo again they suck!!)
Also your post CANNOT go out of its way to bash Halo 4.(Example: I want descoping back because Halo 4 was so terrible without it)
If your post does not follow those rules than don't even bother posting. 

I am going to buy the next Halo regardless but if I did dislike Halo 4 one thing that would really make me comeback is Firefight, UNSC Flying vehicles, playable elites and other races, also an option in custom games to disable sprint.

• Like 1

Firefight, get rid of tactical packages, support upgrades and some armour abilities (Hardlight Shield, Autosentry, Promethean Vision), and a great Forge environment.

I'm ok with Tac Packs and Sup Ups(Nice names I know) but I think those Armor Abilites should stay for customs since they do add a very very very very interesting dynamic when making minigames and more options is never a bad thing. The forge environment I am not so worried about since the Xbox One should be a beast of a machine. 

Better Forge and Gametype creation, Ranked and Social playlists, allowing people to get better stats and rank, as well as just mess around at times, and also allow differentiation of personal and playlist loadouts, more open campaign maps, better guns (Please, no boltshot. It was fun while it lasted, but it was cheap.), better UI.

I'm ok with Tac Packs and Sup Ups(Nice names I know) but I think those Armor Abilites should stay for customs since they do add a very very very very interesting dynamic when making minigames and more options is never a bad thing. The forge environment I am not so worried about since the Xbox One should be a beast of a machine. 

They should get rid of Tactical Packages and Support Upgrades for matchmaking. They should keep custom loadouts but they should only choose their weapons.

As i just joined the forum, sure, i'll give my opinions! Mind you what i say is not in any way meant to bash Halo 4. I think a lot of people had one of those moment when it came out, but I would truly like to see 343i bring back Halo, as the community online seems to have dwindled. 

I personally, would like to see a better forge environment. I made dozens of maps in Reach, because Forge World brought the diversity and inspiration to create those maps. Forge Islands, well, they left a lot to be desired. The Underwater glitch does have huge potential, and I've made several maps using that.  

Spartan Ops was, a bit odd in my opinion. I like that they tried to continue the storyline after the campaign, but it felt very forced, and very, i cant find the right word, but like a soap oprah, always trying to make suspense when there isn't much to make. Some of its aspects were good, but on a whole, it did feel forced. But i don't believe bringing firefight back would fix that issue. Firefight was fun, don't get me wrong, but the fix to this problem is not to get rid of SO. 

Add FireFight Back <3

Larger Map Environments would be awesome. 343i did make some wonderful maps, but they were small. I wanted to explore those maps, for them to be larger, to make use of the environment given for my filming. If the maps next time around are not tailored towards MLG players (or made in part with them, i know its one of the two :P), then i believe the experience will be much better.

Don't make a seasons pass, unless the content included in it makes it worth it. There were only two MP's included in the SP (I think, its been awhile), Unlike GoW3, which released 5, and Borderlands 2. This drove me nuts when i found out. It was a waste of money, and made a large portion of the community angry, at least through my experience. 

Add Descoping. It was the aspect I liked most about Reach SWAT, and slayer. You could still turn the tables on an opponent when in a DMR match, no its alot harder. Whoever gets the first shot will usually win, which is fine, but some chaos would be appreciated. 

Thats all that comes to mind at the moment. 

• Like 1

~ Come up with a good ranking system, preferably Halo 3's with a twist. I've said this already on the forums, a few times but this has to happen.

~ We should want to be able to use all weapons, not just use the BR and DMR because it's the most effective. By that I mean, all weapons need to be similar, damage wise, otherwise there's really no point in adding weapons at all. Note; Side-arms I differ from the Assault weapons. 

~ Bigger maps needs for Vehicle use.

~ Armour Abilities people will actually care about, most of the AA were simply "Meh". Either remove them or improve them (New ones are preferred but keeping 2 or 3 is acceptable)

~ I didn't like the Spartan customization that much, I much preferred the way Reach did customizations. Customization needs work, not saying all of the Armour types were bad, but they got boring for me.

~ Emblems should always be available to the user, I don't want to keep leveling up to unlock basic patterns, shapes etc.

~ Forge was boring, simply copy and paste from Halo Reach's forge world. Need a lot more variety, mass variety in forge is key. More lighting effects, more buildings, vegetation, Weather changes or having active weather being a forge-able option and what not. So much more but that's just a quick run down.

~ Weapons sound effect I personally think need to sound better, Magnum and Sniper sounded like tin cans.

That's it for now, I sorta rushed this but these are basically the key thought of what I think needs to be improved in Halo 5.

• Like 1

Better campaign AI, a fun campaign like CE... With new skulls or at least bring back the bandana skull. :P

Also various forge weather, elemental environments, presets, and active props (move and make sounds or effects), pallet editing, choosing the pieces to be either new, scratch, burnt, or cracked with moss and greenery in order to make it look nicer, with precision editing... AND vehicle skins to match the maps, like arctic cammo tanks they had on Avalanche in halo 3, that was a really cool detail in my opinion.

Also less flashy, new armor, or let you decide whether your armor will appear new, or a scratched and pitted armor like in reach. The load outs can stay... If plasma grenades, plasma pistols, and boltshots are removed and simply placed on the maps. Better theatre mode... No text please every time someone dies. <_<

Bring back vehicles like the specter and Falcon... And I don't mean in the background of a map on which you'll never notice it unless you're alone on it. And back to campaign, I want the grunts to talk again, I loved that feature in the early games... And the skulls I mentioned should be scattered through the campaign, nothing better than the sense of accomplishment after you've located them.

• Like 1

Oh, Spartan Ops. Loved the story, got quickly bored of the missions and Legendary wasn't that challenging but it was descent nonetheless. Also annoying that we had to wait weeks to play it after release, which I can understand considering the animation took so long. But, if they do bring it back or still use it, they really need to focus on making the missions, feel like a mission. Sorta not sure what I mean myself but I'm trying to say, bring more variety to the missions, give us something else interesting to do rather than press some buttons and kill aliens. Basically, that's what I'm trying to get at. Not saying Spartan Ops was bad, I'm glad they added it but it needs work but because it was 343i first shot at a Halo game, it's fair enough.

• Like 1

I think that as long as they listen to what their audience want, they will make Halo Xbox One a memorable Halo that will be loved and enjoyed by many. Who wouldn't buy a game with all the requested features in it? I would like many things like collectible skulls, firefight, a flying UNSC vehicle, the Arbiter or Blue Team to return, and possibly playable elites in multiplayer. These are only some of many requests from us gamers. We can't expect it all. 343 Industries will get many sales from Halo Xbox One as long as they make sure everything is balanced and attempt to please as many of their gamers as possible.

• Like 1

First off, fix the damn story out.

Sorry but it is too tedious now; I'd rather buy other games if this is the same process:

• Wake up somewhere as Master Chief, finding yourself in a situation where "Covenant are dominating Humanity".
  • Systematically slaughter thousands of Covenant like they're nothing at all.
  • Deploy some super-weapon to beat the Covenant/Other.
  • Sappy, cheesy ending where a "boss" is either non-existent, in cinematic only, defeated by a single or a few quick-time events.

Some points to consider:

• You don't always play as Master Chief or someone who's actually human. Play as Arbiter; don't make it look exactly the same. Again. Arbiter should be taller than Chief, the screen should shake a little (kind of like ArmA) when walking due to size, you shouldn't be limited to two energy sword-swing-movements. Arbiter can fight unarmed if the player decides.
  • Go about with a calamitous attitude. No, don't the story and user-integration catastrophic, make events grand. No more "pew pew pew supercarrier" through-ins.
  • The ability to lower weapons as an actual feature, instead of a "please no! It'll break everything because we don't want to make this thing, where there is actual demand, into a thing!". Ok, that was a little harsh but the message is clear.
  • Interactive campaign. In Halo: Reach, the player's visor would be cracked as (s)he is on his/her suicide mission. Reach also had a rather grande (for Halo) charge, full of warthogs and falcons. Perhaps if the player is charging, to make the game more dark, the player would not be able to complete a mission (http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Priority:_Thessia). As example, after the player hits an invisible prop, a sniper round would hit the player's shoulder, launching the play back from the point of impact, the player's character would be shocked, open his/her hand and lose his/her equipped weapon whilst dropping it. The player would have a single one-handed weapon (and cannot pick up others); the player would continue to the objective, to possibly be shot again in either leg, toppling the player, and in the chest whilst falling. The player would become unconscious, only to wake up in a darker fire-blazed field of heavy fighting, able to see his/her comrades being decimated (instead of walking all over the Covenant like always). There. You don't need a writer to figure out how to get even the most basic sense of immersion.

Different themed music. Yes. Can we cut the tedious recurring themes now, 343i? There's always the Halo essence, but why does it have to be exactly the damn same every single game? Come on, this is a chance to eat up more and more of the generic-FPS market share than ever before. Any dedicated game developer would be able to tell you the best games don't come from selectively 'breeding' a few features and hoping everyone still likes the taste, it comes from experimentation, diversity and straight-down quality.

Yeah, there's our original. Grande and majestic as all hell. From this we can get two things. I know what they are, do you?

Okay, here's an example of recurring themes - but this is the thing the players hear ten minutes into the game, but what happens around 70 seconds in? It changes! There we go, a smooth transition from one game to another, something fresh! From this we can tell, just from a bit of background audio, that the new Halo is something different: something that we haven't seen yet, something we want to see.

Lovely, now two things are evident. We've got our little big-brand chorus in here. Listen carefully, does this sound like the first video in any but one way? No; it keeps the theme throughout a single game, instead of changing it either constantly or changing it never. We still have the bit we love throughout the music of these two games, but the general theme, like the games, should be varied but follow a similar pattern.

Onto the third, to assure we've got some consistent quality, listen. Like the past three pieces of the past two games, we can hear a similar pattern emerging, but yet again, a totally different theme for each and only each different game. Come on 343i, there's even different instruments used here!

And finally, same pattern, same theme as the last piece, but different theme to the other two games.

Get the point? Throughout the series there's a similar pattern of things, the little "series-wide chorus" is apparent in all three games, like it should be in Halo (but barely is) in addition to a completely different theme of things in each game. How much less tedious is this than the same-old Halo soundtracks?

What else, oh what else?

There was a demand for weapon skins.

Weapon skins.

What...

What..?

Ok, fair enough; keep weapon skins. We can see where skins worked. Halo 4, yes it did work! And where it didn't work so well. Gears of War 3; who wants a pink "mlg-pru" shotgun or a few much more serious skins?

Think we can all agree on some slight touches to forge. We aren't asking for much.

This video from the big-guys of the community sums up quite a lot of things.

Because what's more fun than not adding back in the really useful things that allowed players to actually make their own maps without falling to sleep. Here's a summary of the video, and a few essentials fast so you don't fall asleep:

• Remake fine editing mode, can be edited to be much slower in controller options. Yes, hurr-durr I know you can't copy and paste things because I know some utterly basic things. Not going to try and play Red Alert 2 on Windows 3.1 or the first Macintosh operating system, am I (can't "copy and paste" code because it just won't mean anything to Halo 4's 'engine').
  • Fix magnets so they actually align things properly.
  • We aren't asking for Chernarus, but some of us realise how anything bigger than a football pitch in Halo 4 would've crashed the Xbox360 when we try to do anything that requires half a hertz. There's no excuse for small maps now: PC-support, PS4 and Xbox One, as platforms, can handle at least 50km2 on a 1:1 game-to-real-life ratio for our new lovely forge world. Hell.
  • More than the same boring selection of repetitive props that don't fit barely anywhere at all.
  • The Forge item-limit and budget now doesn't have to restrict the player's creativity since platforms Halo 5 will be made for won't catch fire after rendering a cardboard box falling off of a shelf. Unless the box has a texture made from more than 10 pixels, of course! It does sound silly. So does keeping such a tight restriction.
  • Don't do the "Banshee only!" trick again: bigger maps  means vehicles that are made for going farther than down the street for a pint of milk have purpose now.

TL;DR

1. No more tedious story-line following a generic linear plot.
  2. Play as someone else but the Chief, and play through their perspective.
  3. Grand events in the story, no tiring and off-putting "trampling Covenant/Other as Master Chief" with nothing happening, again.
  4. Complete overhaul on music; keep a consistent pattern in the soundtracks that we all love and know from Halo, but change the theme each game so each game is actually different for once. Halo 3: ODST is the only example of this from the Halo series. You could argue Halo Wars, but that is going from FPS to strategy.
  • Like 5

I think that firefight needs to make its return, but with new dynamics and goals for the gameplay. Back in reach, the firefight loadouts became unrealistic because they were stacked with power weapons, and this made the game type extremely easy when playing with up to 4 players. The firefight playlist soon became about achieving high scores and racking up big multikills/killstreaks. In my opinion, I would enjoy firefight much more as a survival based game type. Such as having the odds against yourself and using more practical loadouts. Teamwork would become much more important because enemies would be more aggressive and tougher to take down.

I would also enjoy having "fortifications" and ordinance as part of firefight gameplay. Similar to the gears of war horde mode, or even halo 4's dominion, players would able to build barriers and defense artillery as they earn points. And also using the points, players would be able to call in appropriate ordinance weapons for more support

As for campaign, I belive it should have a more diverse set of objectives. In halo 4, the run here-press button tasks became somewhat repetitive . I also felt that the storyline plays out better when humanity is the underdog. In halo 4, the covenant was gone, humans had the menacing infinity, and much more military strength. I kinda miss the old rag tag, last stand feeling when battling the might of the covenant

• Like 4

They should bring back firefight but with some of the elements form the Dominion playlist (which they have taken out). With Bases/fortifications in which you would need to spawn as well as gain more weapons/ammo as the game progressed.

Spartan opts was "ok" (meh) but it by all means didn't stand up in comparison to a Firefight (or dare i say COD Zombies) type of game. Im all for a separate Co-op campaign such as spartan opts because playing through a campaign that is meant to be played with multiple characters is better and more fun then just playing the main story line co-op with your friends. But that's a total separate thing from a survival type game where you have to survive and infinite amount of waves from the enemy.

• Like 7

Ok sure not bash Halo 4 lets try ....

HALO 4 SUCKS 343I SHOULD NOT MAKE ANOTHER ONE !!!

sorry sorry force of habit lets concentrate ....

Here are a few of the big things they could do

1 Mlg to come back in full

2 1 to 50 to come back

3 No more custom loadouts

4 No overpowered weapons( binary rifle comes to mind )

5 firefight  

6 Full customization of our Spartan

7 A more open campaign like crysis or at least KSF ( stands for killzone shadow fall )

8 Dynamic environments to any extent ( not like battlefield but at least you know you throw a grenade at glass and the glass breaks when the grenade explodes )

9 No more ordnance just weapons spawns

10 no default sprint

11 NO BOLTSHOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 Make the forerunner weapon's more ....Better < the best word I can think of  

13 Good balanced maps that will become instant classics

14 No descop when shot in scope

15 Bigger games like 12 vs 12

16 bigger forge world

17 weapons don't go away really fast  

18 DA ARBITER !!!!!

Ok *phew *

That is enough wish list for now I think :D

( I could go on for hours )

Edited by Ranger447

They should bring back firefight but with some of the elements form the Dominion playlist (which they have taken out). With Bases/fortifications in which you would need to spawn as well as gain more weapons/ammo as the game progressed.

Spartan opts was "ok" (meh) but it by all means didn't stand up in comparison to a Firefight (or dare i say COD Zombies) type of game. Im all for a separate Co-op campaign such as spartan opts because playing through a campaign that is meant to be played with multiple characters is better and more fun then just playing the main story line co-op with your friends. But that's a total separate thing from a survival type game where you have to survive and infinite amount of waves from the enemy.

This.

Mann Versus Machine had a shop, I daresay points / money could buy subtle advantages, like increased damage output (x1.05, x1.10, x 1.15, x 1.20, x1.25 and that), the same for shields and more.

If firefight returns like this, maps should be made to heavily support teamwork, in stead of "Spartans go around this massive area on their own, Covenant spawn in the other side of the map".

Possibly an objective to protect?

• Like 1

This.

Mann Versus Machine had a shop, I daresay points / money could buy subtle advantages, like increased damage output (x1.05, x1.10, x 1.15, x 1.20, x1.25 and that), the same for shields and more.

If firefight returns like this, maps should be made to heavily support teamwork, in stead of "Spartans go around this massive area on their own, Covenant spawn in the other side of the map".

Possibly an objective to protect?

Agreed more objective firefight modes would be great.

Generator defense was a good idea of it but wasn't very fleshed out. 

• Like 1

This isn't so much of a complaint but more of a I would like this to be an option. With single player there should be 2 options, Play campaign as Master Chief (OBVIOUSLY) and for the new option, Play Co-op with your online character. It could even be a separate playlist for Co-op itself, maybe even a Co-op playlist which involves everything that's going to be Co-op in Halo 5, which of course would include Firefight etc. If you want to play the campaign as the main protagonist, that's cool. But, I don't see why we can't use our own online Spartan as a playable character in the campaign too, this maybe for Co-op only, using you online character to play on your own would be a bit pointless, but I wouldn't complain if it were there.

I'm just spit balling here but for for re-playability, I think Co-op Campaign with friends, using you own online character would be awesome.

Put it on sale.

In seriousness, while I know I'm in the minority I actually really liked Halo 4. There's no denying that it was deeply flawed in places, especially prior to the weapon tuning update (DMR and Boltshot, anyone?) but overall I was very happy with it, and I think it's a strong enough game that I'd consider the next Halo an automatic buy. I think the only real obstacle would be the Xbox One itself, because at the moment it's still just too far out of my price range.

• Like 5

Take out custom loadouts, tactical packages, support upgrades, and make the campaign a challenge again. Oh, and make the armor look good again. And fix the colors, they were way too bright (especially team colors)

That's all really.

I agree with the loadouts but they better give me a starting loadout that has the lightrifle or else I'll riot. 

I think they should kind of make the weapons more fair. Like holy crap, in Halo Reach the Assault Rife did not even kill that fast. But in Halo 4 you can shoot like 5 bullets and they are dead. Maybe add a few more weapons. I thought it would be cool to have like a pistol with a chain saw, but when you chain saw a person it won't be very bloody. Also, I think they should make the maps more colorful, rather than being all dark and spooky like. It's fine to do some maps dark, but most all Halo 4 maps are just plain and simple. I want creative! The armor needs to be more creative too. Some of the armor is just terrible.. I want them to be original. Every now and then there would be that one armor piece that looked legit, but barely any. In Halo: Reach and Halo 3 the armor looked well pieced together and original. Making a piece of armor should not take 5 mins, it should take time.. For me all they need to do is make the weapons more better, add some more weapons, make the maps more colorful and creative and finally make the armor suitable for the Halo universe. If this improves then you might just see me in the store getting Halo: 5 on the first day. 

Edited by тυ¢кєя

Keep a real classic playlist option available. Do like Reach, but have Evolved and Classic versions of everything. That way, 343 can evolve how they want to, while a real classic option still exists that I don't have to hope for. I mean, I have to hope for it to show up, then I have to hope it gets enough votes...

I prefer Infinity Slayer to Legendary Slayer, but a bigger focus on the core Halo feel would bring back those old fans while the evolved game would bring in more.

Next, lets keep some of dat music from Halo 4. It grew on me after a while, and I feel badass while it plays on SpOps. But, include more classic music as well. Halo 4 was too much new. I still boot up Halo 3 for some music now and then.

As for armor, I liked Halo 4's fully customizable Spartans, but Reach's modules and bits and pieces were fun too. Merge those systems 343, and you'll have a badass Armor system.

Finally, don't over complicate the game. I liked Halo because I didn't have to choose guns and perks and crap for my given situation. If I want to snipe in Halo 3, I just run for it. In Halo 4, I have to build a damn Loadout for it to be effective. Now, I like choosing between a balanced set of primaries and AA's, but adding anything else is just bringing in too much for the simple game that was Halo. Halo was great because it wasn't required to build a loadout in order to be competitive. I feel that these complicated loadouts have broken a good portion of the core Halo feel for me.

I loved Halo 4, and I plan to have Halo 5, but the complexity of this game is too much at this point. However, I can put up with all of these loadouts if we have more focus on the core Halo gameplay that has been lying dormant for years, now.

Edited by Ryu♥Hayabusa

Take out custom loadouts, tactical packages, support upgrades, and make the campaign a challenge again. Oh, and make the armor look good again. And fix the colors, they were way too bright (especially team colors)

That's all really.

I'm all for this, actually. Back to the simple Halo days. I'm not bothered with custom loadouts, I think it gave people a chance to use other weapons but because it's Halo 5, it might be not worth bothering with, depends on what weapons are in the game really.

Well I already want Halo 5, so I'll just put down some things I'd like to see in it.

-Competitive matchmaking, I'd like to see Halo 5 have a competitive playlist that you rank up in and are matched up against players of the same skill level.

-Vehicles, I want to see more vehicles in the air than just a banshee. I really want at least one kind of Forerunner vehicle too.

-Loadouts, I like loadouts, but they are over-powered in their current state. Spawning with two sticky grenades? I remember in Reach my team would get pinned down by a Wraith, Wharthog, whatever, and we would have to use teamwork to take it down. Now, just throw 2 stickies and they're gone. I'd really like to see Loadouts be toned down a bit.

-Spartan Ops/Firefight, I stand in exact agreement with Victory Element on this.

-Forge, I would love, absolutely love to see a "biome selector" of some type. An option that would allow you to make a snowy map, a rainy map, a desert map, a mountainous map, or all Four!

-Armor, I liked the system for getting Armor in Halo 4. I dislike the system used in Reach. I want Halo 4 to stick with the commendation completion and level up unlocks. I would like to see armor attachments return, rather than just having skins for a specific type of armor.

-Loadouts, I like loadouts, but they are over-powered in their current state. Spawning with two sticky grenades? I remember in Reach my team would get pinned down by a Wraith, Wharthog, whatever, and we would have to use teamwork to take it down. Now, just throw 2 stickies and they're gone. I'd really like to see Loadouts be toned down a bit.

Haha, couldn't agree more with this. The fact there's Resupply (Refill grenades from dead bodies) and Grenadier (+1 grenade) is an absolute joke. Grenades are OP anyway, I get that their grenades typically are but my god... come on. I hope 1 grenade is given to you in Halo 5 Multiplayer, it's so much more fair.