Halo if and only if Friendly Fire?

sindronian

OK. It was a long post and maybe I missed a lot but one thing I would like to point out is your example of someone hogging the bomb.

The guy is not going to be invincible because hello? Theres another team trying to kill you.

I could really care less about friendly fire being on or off most the time.

Hey, you really can't listen eh? I told you the argument is over. I stopped reading about 1/3 way through sorry if you took all that time. Cya, I don't care. I disagree. don't you get it? Give some room for other people's opinions.

Lol it's funny because you care enough to keep coming back. And you don't read what I have to say because you're finding contradictions in your own paraphrasing.

If you read the last few parts of it, you'd realize why it's a dumb idea. But your comprehensive skills are obviously at question here.

one thing I would like to point out is your example of someone hogging the bomb.

The guy is not going to be invincible because hello? Theres another team trying to kill you.

It's hard for the other team to kill you because there's not a waypoint over the enemy team. Not to mention that by the time they actually find you (if they find you) the game is practically half over, already giving them a major disadvantage. And that's IF they find them.

Your team scrambles around trying to get the enemies attention to kill your own bomb carrier, they just kill you instead cause they have no idea what the hell you're doing, after this song and dance is over you barely have enough time to proceed with the game.

Round over, teams switch objectives, and you're already out of a round point because of what just happened.

Keep in mind, this is all still ONE situation. If need be, I'll post more. But I don't feel any need to since RedStar decided to give up on his own topic lol

FYI, RedStar, if you make a long topic and ask for other people's opinions, you can't just shut certain people off for responding to you. You can either lock it, or hear why I think you're wrong while willingly accepting any responses you have.

Learn to forum.

First of all I don't care how long you've been here and how the hell am I supposed to realise if you're joking or not? People say stuff like that all the time and they mean it. Anyone who uses the title of another FPS on a halo forum without good reason pisses me off but I only react to it occasionally. I just see a lot less of that stupid stuff here so I was surprised to see a comment like that. You're right it's not funny at all I'm glad you are aware most aren't. There is always that guy who is the first to mention "that other FPS" in a thread that simply doesn't need "that other FPS." You just happened to be that guy this time I suppose. I do apologize for acting as if you did mean it though. I could just said: "I hope you're joking."

Are you STILL trying insulting me? ''That guy who mentions another FPS'' is a very poor attempt IMO.

Nope, actually I apologized. I think your comment sucked and I don't think you should have expected me to realise it was a joke. No, not trying to insult you.

To be fair, if you read the whole post it actually was an apology.

Had a rocky start... but an apology nonetheless.

Well I'm sorry, the message was sort of hard to read as an apology. I apologize too for being a jerk, but I still say what you said was unnecessary.

There are so many ignorant people in Halo who's idea of "fun" is to simply waste their own time and energy, as well as their team's, and just shoot you and/or betray you just for the fun of it. Friendly fire doesn't add a whole lot to the game so I don't see why 343 can't take it out to avoid such these unnecessary incidents.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but doesn't Halo 4 have Kill cams AND Betrayal cams so you can see whether or not the 'traitor' did so on accident or actually was trying to kill you? And if you don't like getting betrayed in Halo why don't you 1)stick to COD, 2)deal with it, and or 3) PLAY WITH FRIENDS? Sure friends have been known to still kill you, but it's normally ten times funnier than a random doing it and usually an acident like you jumping in the way of their warthog, etc.

There are so many ignorant people in Halo who's idea of "fun" is to simply waste their own time and energy, as well as their team's, and just shoot you and/or betray you just for the fun of it. Friendly fire doesn't add a whole lot to the game so I don't see why 343 can't take it out to avoid such these unnecessary incidents.

As stated before in this topic, turning it off is not an option they think would work with Halo, as game breaking as it CAN be.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but doesn't Halo 4 have Kill cams AND Betrayal cams so you can see whether or not the 'traitor' did so on accident or actually was trying to kill you? And if you don't like getting betrayed in Halo why don't you 1)stick to COD, 2)deal with it, and or 3) PLAY WITH FRIENDS? Sure friends have been known to still kill you, but it's normally ten times funnier than a random doing it and usually an acident like you jumping in the way of their warthog, etc.

Your solution is stupid and thoughtless I've heard it many times before. Just because I don't like betrayals doesn't mean I'm going to quit the game. It bothers me yes, obviously I will still play multiplayer. Just trying to make a point.

Without reading through pages and pages of this, which I don't mind being discussed, and at the risk of sounding off topic (which I doubt could happen but I will try as hard as possible to be obtuse to the extreme). So I will be putting forth my opinion as an original Halo player/fan.

it's always been in, number one (sorry if you hate that response)

number two, it provides a specific tactical element, one that I don't believe should be forgone in games

I'm not going to argue the semantics of play style and how friendly fire should refine a player's skills, I just don't have the time and frankly I think it would be a pointless venture. I'm sorry if that comes off as cold to you but among other reasons I'm late for work.

This topic has been discussed so often it's not even funny anymore. But, to sum up why Friendly Fire is on, here me out.

Name the more realistic option of the two I present below.

1. I have the rockets. My teammate finds four enemies in close proximity, runs into the middle of them and I decide to fire the rocket as well, killing the four enemies and my teammate in the process.
  2. I have the rockets. My teammate finds four enemies in close proximity, runs into the middle of them and I decide to fire the rocket as well, killing the four enemies and my teammate walks out untouched.

/thread

• Like 1

This topic has been discussed so often it's not even funny anymore. But, to sum up why Friendly Fire is on, here me out.

Name the more realistic option of the two I present below.

1. I have the rockets. My teammate finds four enemies in close proximity, runs into the middle of them and I decide to fire the rocket as well, killing the four enemies and my teammate in the process.

2. I have the rockets. My teammate finds four enemies in close proximity, runs into the middle of them and I decide to fire the rocket as well, killing the four enemies and my teammate walks out untouched.

/thread

And that would have convinced me and ended the thread IF it was the only type of situation. I already mentioned the other ones so....I know what you mean though.

Look, I understand where you're coming from about the whole betrayal and booting thing, but the fact if the matter is if somebody does betray you, and you go for the revenge betrayal, the game will automatically give them the option to boot 100% time, always. But that is beside the point.

Now, to the other points. That's the only situation that is going to matter for friendly fire staying on. If I can throw grenades, rockets, etc into a giant combat without consequences, what's stopping me from doing it? The current system works the way it does for a reason. If I throw a grenade or a rocket like I said in my previous post, I'll kill the enemies yes, but if they damanged my teammate and he dies, they still get a point for it. Or, I betray him possibly get booted for it, and our team only gets 3 points instead of 4 because I'm acting like a jerk and not caring about my teammates.

What I came up with previously is a simple solution, but I don't know if it would be the right solution. Because, personally, turning off friendly fire is not the right solution. But what about this, a system where you cannot outright kill your teammates, but instead just drop their shields, leaving them extremely vulnerable to enemy fire? The downside to this is that it does not solve Echo's problem of somebody griefing and not playing the objective, just sitting in a corner and hiding with the flag/bomb etc. Like I said, this topic has been discussed in length many times over, in many different threads, most of which are about the boot system and betrayal. There are some decent ideas in all of those threads, so I suggest going and giving them a read, though some are quite long.

As for your OP, and why we "need" friendly fire, the truth of the matter is that it does add balance to the game, like what Echo was trying to articulate, and it comes right down to my first post. If I can spam grenades/rockets/anything explosive into an area without the consequences of killing my team, it breaks game balance on objective game types. Now, instead of trying to be precise with shots, I just spray and pray without fear of knocking out my teammates shields and giving the enemy an easy kill, or outright betray them on my own. While in a vehicle, I don't need to be conscious of where my teammates are, or if I may run them over and kill them. It wouldn't matter. Now I run into them, hit them and push them out of the way. Now I just fire rockets into every combat I see without fear of killing my teammate until I run out of them. Same with grenades. Same with any explosive weapon.

So while I may not like the friendly fire rules or the betrayal/booting system, in my mind you cannot turn off friendly fire. What really needs done is nothing with friendly fire, it's the betrayal/booting system that needs to be revamped and tweaked, personally.

• Like 1

While in a vehicle, I don't need to be conscious of where my teammates are, or if I may run them over and kill them. It wouldn't matter. Now I run into them, hit them and push them out of the way. Now I just fire rockets into every combat I see without fear of killing my teammate until I run out of them. Same with grenades. Same with any explosive weapon.

I understand, I just don't think the above quote is a big deal. Just my opinion. I think the other cons of having friendly fire turned on are more of an issue because it can cause grief for the player himself. Sure with friendly fire off you lose some tactical sense but I think it's worth it because your team-mates can't mess up your game. Except for in the odd case like Echo said where some guy would use his own time for some reason to take the objective (bomb maybe) and sit there. I disagree it would happen more with friendly fire off (mostly because of experiences in CoD) but I already argued about all that....so yeah. I disagree lol.

As far as a solution goes...I don't think there needs to be one. I don't think it's a problem contrary to belief. I don't think people complain about friendly fire off in CoD. Maybe some but not as frequently as Halo players. CoD has some nice solutions, like dmg that backfires if you shoot your Ally. That makes a lot more sense to me. Another solution could be just to kick anyone on their first betrayal in the game, but this would either result in something good, people being really careful, or something really bad, people getting frustrated and quiting.

By the way please understand I'm mentioning CoD for a good purpose here. Not to flame.

As far as a solution goes...I don't think there needs to be one. I don't think it's a problem contrary to belief. I don't think people complain about friendly fire off in CoD. Maybe some but not as frequently as Halo players. CoD has some nice solutions, like dmg that backfires if you shoot your Ally. That makes a lot more sense to me. Another solution could be just to kick anyone on their first betrayal in the game, but this would either result in something good, people being really careful, or something really bad, people getting frustrated and quiting.

By the way please understand I'm mentioning CoD for a good purpose here. Not to flame.

We'll just agree to disagree on the first part then. :)

Damage that backfires was actually brought up in one of those threads I mentioned previously. My only concern with it is what happens on an accidental sniper shot if somebody decides to move right infront of your scope as you're firing? Or the grenade throw where a teammate decides to run in, even after I've already thrown the grenade?

My ultimate solution would be an auto-boot feature, that after two betrayals per team, then the next one gets auto-booted. Sure, this leaves no room for any mercy, but with the new join-in-progress system, hopefully that slot can be filled quickly. As for CoD, whatever. I don't have any personal experience with the game, it just doesn't interest me, so you won't here any negativity from me about your comments.

Damage that backfires was actually brought up in one of those threads I mentioned previously. My only concern with it is what happens on an accidental sniper shot if somebody decides to move right in front of your scope as you're firing?

My response to that is too bad if your team sucks play with your friends and communicate lol.

I would say something harshly militaristic in regards to being upset that you were betrayed or booted but I don't think it would be received well. Instead I'll use a riddle;

I think friendly fire should be done away with because it allows people to betray me, which in turn messes up our team's score.

My response to that is too bad if your team sucks play with your friends and communicate lol.

I'm sorry but was this post sarcastic? It must have been. Just try harder and learn to forgive/avoid people who betray you. The argument has petered out, there is no other solution but to suck it up while they fix the boot system. Friendly fire adds too much tactically to remove it, I hope you weren't serious when you said that hypothetically it wouldn't bother you if you could bomb out your decoy teammate in order to blast the entire opposing team. You would not mind this vice versa?

If we're talking realism

I would argue this:

In real life, people who fight are trained vigerously.

let's play within the parameters (or as close to them as is possible) of reality. And let's add some real life stoicism to that training- stats aren't everything. I am sorry if this was harsh.