09. Nemesis (Alvin Risk Remix) - 0:40:55

10. Solace (Maor Levi Remix) - 0:45:36

11. Arrival (Norin & Rad Remix) - 0:52:54

12. Green and Blue (Andrew Bayer Remix) - 0:56:55

13. Foreshadow (James Iha Remix) - 1:00:22

14. The Beauty of Cortana (Apocalyptica vs Neil Davidge) - 1:03:14

This post has been promoted to an article

• Like 9

Halo Wars was a better soundtrack.This soundtrack is epic,but not Halo.Sure it fits the in-game atmosphere,but it would fit alot of video games too and that's the point.It doesn't feel like Halo and it sure isnt "randomly catching yourself humming it" worthy either.Halo 1-3 can't be beaten,Marty really set the bar extremely high for anyone else who tried to do a soundtrack to this franchise.No one can fill those shoes in my opinion.

• Like 2

Nothing beats the original Halo soundtrack. The choir-singing style and that original song is just badass, I still sing that all the time walking around my apartment to the point where my girlfriend gets pissed off but then she starts singing it by accident as well.

The Halo 4 music is good but just not phenomenal like that original

• Like 3

For those of you discrediting the complete grandeur that is the Halo 4 OST, I will argue that it is simply perfect given the game's circumstances. Just like people do, Halo is growing up. It's getting more serious than the walk-in-the-park superhero feel that the first trilogy had. The Halo 4 OST has become a real film score (Halo 4 is even on iMDB!) and portrays the emotions felt in the storyline quite perfectly. The original feel was great and I loved going back to it when I wanted to feel badass, but for the darkness in Halo 4, there is nothing to jump around, hum randomly, or feel badass for. Melody is only for those who do not understand everything else about music. Not to seem elitist or anything =P

Hi there people from 343!

I'm VERY probablu not the first person to ask... .. but one of the most beautiful music tracks I encountered during Halo 4 is missing on the soundtrack... yeah that one..

is there a way to get a high quality mp3 of the amazing "Never Forget" track from the end credits? I kind of expected it to be the last track on the album.. but it was not there *sadface*. Also, is there a special reason it's missing on the ost? I'm just curious, since it's such a beautiful rendition of Marty's work.

Hope to hear soon!

MetzMan

Hi there people from 343!

I'm VERY probablu not the first person to ask... .. but one of the most beautiful music tracks I encountered during Halo 4 is missing on the soundtrack... yeah that one..

is there a way to get a high quality mp3 of the amazing "Never Forget" track from the end credits? I kind of expected it to be the last track on the album.. but it was not there *sadface*. Also, is there a special reason it's missing on the ost? I'm just curious, since it's such a beautiful rendition of Marty's work.

Hope to hear soon!

MetzMan

My immediate prediction is that 343 will release another soundtrack like they did for Halo 2. There's probably about twice as much audio in the game that they didn't include on the OST. I haven't been able to find the Credits song (the Never Forget re-arrange) anywhere on the web yet but here is a good link for the menu music, which I think is very magical. I don't think it's the actual raw recordings from 343 but it will suffice. (DL link is in the description)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVhm3FxcxOw

For those of you discrediting the complete grandeur that is the Halo 4 OST, I will argue that it is simply perfect given the game's circumstances. Just like people do, Halo is growing up. It's getting more serious than the walk-in-the-park superhero feel that the first trilogy had. The Halo 4 OST has become a real film score (Halo 4 is even on iMDB!) and portrays the emotions felt in the storyline quite perfectly. The original feel was great and I loved going back to it when I wanted to feel badass, but for the darkness in Halo 4, there is nothing to jump around, hum randomly, or feel badass for. Melody is only for those who do not understand everything else about music. Not to seem elitist or anything =P

My point was that the score can fit any other game.It doesn't standout as Halo when you hear it.To Galaxy and the first half of Revival are the some of the few tracks that have that halo atmosphere and feel to it when you hear it.I'm all for growing up and going into new directions,i play music i'm in a band i know the music needs to change,but you always keep the root sound.Its like Iron Maiden releasing an album that sounds like Theory of a deadman or any other of those generic alt rock bands...it's not iconic to itself.

My point was that the score can fit any other game.It doesn't standout as Halo when you hear it.To Galaxy and the first half of Revival are the some of the few tracks that have that halo atmosphere and feel to it when you hear it.I'm all for growing up and going into new directions,i play music i'm in a band i know the music needs to change,but you always keep the root sound.Its like Iron Maiden releasing an album that sounds like Theory of a deadman or any other of those generic alt rock bands...it's not iconic to itself.

I do see your point. While listening to the OST I have caught myself thinking that certain parts of some of the tracks sound shockingly reminiscent of other movie scores or game soundtracks.

But I think that was essentially Davidge's point though, he wanted to turn Halo into a new direction with the music. So technically he wins. But in defense I have heard scattered bits of original Halo tunes subtly incorporated into some of the tracks. For instance, in "117" you can hear the classic Halo theme cello octave rhythm (at the beginning of the original song after the drums come in, and wow this is hard to describe with words) complimenting some parts of the new theme. Also the Halo 3 piano theme for Cortana is in the menu music at some point, although altered in a way

And yeah that's probably not enough to make it feel Halo, but I think it's well done this way because you will want to feel some familiarity but not to the point where it's just repetition (like how they literally just used the same songs from previous games in Halo 3 with virtually no changes). Subtlety is magic in music.

Also for the sake of argument, I do find a paradox in yours: You say you don't mind change but you want back what you had before. I think the point of change is that things dont say the same, including "roots"

I do see your point. While listening to the OST I have caught myself thinking that certain parts of some of the tracks sound shockingly reminiscent of other movie scores or game soundtracks.

But I think that was essentially Davidge's point though, he wanted to turn Halo into a new direction with the music. So technically he wins. But in defense I have heard scattered bits of original Halo tunes subtly incorporated into some of the tracks. For instance, in "117" you can hear the classic Halo theme cello octave rhythm (at the beginning of the original song after the drums come in, and wow this is hard to describe with words) complimenting some parts of the new theme. Also the Halo 3 piano theme for Cortana is in the menu music at some point, although altered in a way

And yeah that's probably not enough to make it feel Halo, but I think it's well done this way because you will want to feel some familiarity but not to the point where it's just repetition (like how they literally just used the same songs from previous games in Halo 3 with virtually no changes). Subtlety is magic in music.

Also for the sake of argument, I do find a paradox in yours: You say you don't mind change but you want back what you had before. I think the point of change is that things dont say the same, including "roots"

Your pionts are valid and i see what you're saying,i was expecting alot more i guess.How is it a paradox? Look at Metallica's ( yes im a metal head) speaking from being in the hardcore fan-base the first 4 albums when you listen to them they are all amazing and by fans considered the best.Yet when you listen to it one album doesn't sound like another,but its so obvious who it is.There are subtle differances when added as a whole makes something differant but good in the same way,because they did not stray from their overall sound that makes them the band that they are.Their are obvious differances in technique and style.Wether you like Metallica or not isn't the piont i'm just using the analogy because of what i know,but that is how you keep people loving what you write who were fans in the first place.Its about the "sound" when you listen to it.I looked back at 117 and you are correct.Re-listening it just seems he strayed too far when he had the right idea, he tried too hard not to copy marty when what he sacrificed was the Halo sound.Marty set the tone there is nothing you can do about that.

I made an alternative soundtrack for Halo 4.i put songs from the Terminator:Salvation OST for the all the action scenes and scenes were there was alot of mystery and for epic or tragic scenes i put songs from Halo 3 OST onto a cd that i made while playing the campaign and ordered them to fit with each scene.it was perfect,by combining those two i made a better Halo 4 OST XD

Halo Wars was a better soundtrack.This soundtrack is epic,but not Halo.Sure it fits the in-game atmosphere,but it would fit alot of video games too and that's the point.It doesn't feel like Halo and it sure isnt "randomly catching yourself humming it" worthy either.Halo 1-3 can't be beaten,Marty really set the bar extremely high for anyone else who tried to do a soundtrack to this franchise.No one can fill those shoes in my opinion.

I logged in from facebook just to talk about this. I completely agree with you. I adored Marty's music and I was extremely dissapointed with the direction that Davidge took Halo 4's music in. Another use made the point that it feels more like a film score, and I would say that's exactly the reason I don't like it: It feel's like something cliched that could have been in a movie, not something from a Halo Game. All of the iconic sounds that Marty brought into the series that made it amazing.... all of them are gone, and without those sounds it's just not the same Halo to me. I understand the need for evolution and that I should expect Davidge to go with his own style, but he almost completely ignored the tone and everything else that Marty had set.

Halo Wars is the only other example of a Halo Soundtrack being composes by somebody other than Marty, and I feel that it was vastly superior to Halo 4's soundtrack. Stephen Rippy was able to express himself artistically and distinguish the soundtrack while still respecting the musical roots of Halo to provide a satisfying and good soundtrack that fit the game very well. While listening to it you could tell clearly that it was not Marty... but it still felt like you were playing a Halo game.

Halo isn't growing up so much as it's be re-invented, the music is good just not fitting for Halo. You claim that it's more dark but I'd argue that Marty's music conveyed darkness, sadness etc. much better while also keeping the fun walk-in-the park bits. The things to jump around to and feel badass were an essential part of what made halo great to so many fans. Sure the soundtrack is good as a film score, but Halo isn't a film. Melody isn't the only thing thats been thrown away here, all the iconic percussion and distinct "Halo" sounds are pretty much gone. The music is decent at best if examining it based on it's merits as music alone, but within the context of Halo, which already has a distinct and beloved sound, it's a disaster.

• Like 1

I logged in from facebook just to talk about this. I completely agree with you. I adored Marty's music and I was extremely dissapointed with the direction that Davidge took Halo 4's music in. Another use made the point that it feels more like a film score, and I would say that's exactly the reason I don't like it: It feel's like something cliched that could have been in a movie, not something from a Halo Game. All of the iconic sounds that Marty brought into the series that made it amazing.... all of them are gone, and without those sounds it's just not the same Halo to me. I understand the need for evolution and that I should expect Davidge to go with his own style, but he almost completely ignored the tone and everything else that Marty had set.

Halo Wars is the only other example of a Halo Soundtrack being composes by somebody other than Marty, and I feel that it was vastly superior to Halo 4's soundtrack. Stephen Rippy was able to express himself artistically and distinguish the soundtrack while still respecting the musical roots of Halo to provide a satisfying and good soundtrack that fit the game very well. While listening to it you could tell clearly that it was not Marty... but it still felt like you were playing a Halo game.

Halo isn't growing up so much as it's be re-invented, the music is good just not fitting for Halo. You claim that it's more dark but I'd argue that Marty's music conveyed darkness, sadness etc. much better while also keeping the fun walk-in-the park bits. The things to jump around to and feel badass were an essential part of what made halo great to so many fans. Sure the soundtrack is good as a film score, but Halo isn't a film. Melody isn't the only thing thats been thrown away here, all the iconic percussion and distinct "Halo" sounds are pretty much gone. The music is decent at best if examining it based on it's merits as music alone, but within the context of Halo, which already has a distinct and beloved sound, it's a disaster.

I just created an account to simply say that you nailed it 100% right !

Thank You.

I purchased the Halo 4 OST the very day it was released and was extremely disappointed. Not with the music in general. The score is very nice and I like several (Not all) of the tracks, but it certainly does not evoke ANY sense of being in the Halo World, at least not for me. I can definitely say I have zero anticipation for the Halo 5 OST if they keep Davidge at the healm. At the very least, they should bring Marty back so he and Davidge can work together on the next OST.

What's equally disappointing is that there is no central element to the music. The tracks are all different. Obviously some may like this, but for a cohessive sound track which would continue the epic theme/feeling of the Halo Universe, one would expect some tracks to contain elements of others and expand/change direction a bit. And I am definitely not talking about those garish re-mixes. This is an epic sound track, not an underground Rave mix.

My honest advice is to BRING MARTY BACK to at least help out to bring back the Halo FEEL to the OST. An added bouns would be to BRING BACK Michael Salvatori too. Use them alone or have Davidge co-write WITH them.

I get the whole concept of taking Halo in a "different" direction vs. the original three games, but you simply don't exclude the fundamental elements of a score that has become a legend with simply a few notes. John Williams didn't do it for Star Wars. Bear Mccreary didn't do it for Battlestar Galactica, and none of the half dozen composers who worked on all the various Star Trek OST's didn't do it. This is why those long running scores were so succesful. Not saying Davidge's work won't be successful, I'm just saying he has not incorperated the Halo feel to this OST.

Finger crossed that something better happens for Halo 5 OST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

i noticed that the new soundtrack has a brighter feeling than the original. the first 3 games had depressing music that matched the gameplay. this new soundtrack matches the gameplay while going slightly off the tradition of depressing halo music. - the new soundtrack impressed me but i would still like a return of some of the original soundtrack!