assassination variable

fpstactic

I think the idea of making an assassination a drawn out animation, makes the idea of a one hit melee kill, more realistic.

Its great.

the problems are, 1) it takes so long to finish, that the victim has gotten his call out to his team mates in time for them to put grenades on his "X", so perhaps taking away the victims "X" sign after the kill would make the assassination more valuable. I would also suggest killing the victims microphone feed until respawn, but then players would just enter private chat pregame

2) what if I am standing behind an enemy, and I don't want to assassinate them? what if I would rather drop their sheilds with a melee and finish the kill with a head shot... because I feel the time spent in the assassination animation will eliminate my advantage over multiple players of the enemy team, since I have gotten behind their front line...

food for thought.

I play at the highest levels in match making, and strategical considerations are more important than visual entertainment for me at that level... does anyone else care about that?

Well the Wetworks Specialization allows for quicker assassinations (looks to be about half the time), and you can still hit them in the back and get the assassin medal. As for taking their shields down with a hit in the back, I really dont know. I have a feeling 343i has listened to the community pretty well so they know what they are doing.

Well, there's still the option to just backsmack someone instead of assassinating them to get a quicker kill, so i don't see a problem here.

Removing the X that appears when someone dies isn't an option. All those times i yelled "4shot on my X!" in Halo 3.. And gameplay wise this X is needed as well.

I understand yur frustration I have had numerous of times where I just tapped the melee button shortly and I would assasinate someone when I just wanted to backsmack him and get on to his teammate right next to him who now has the oppertunity to kill me with ease. But you have to admit there are no much things to do about it other than giving the player the option to disable or enable assasinations in the start menu or allow them to use long or quick ones.

wow, shows how much of a reach noob I am, I didnt know you could choose between assassin and melee by holding or tapping melee button. definitely a must have option tho

@vplus2, wouldn't taking away the "X", only after an assassination, make the assassination more dramatic and rewarding?

Not displaying an X is a great idea. It should still come up in the killfeed, but not displaying an X on your peripheral HUD would certainly hold true to a real-life "assassination". Quiet, swift, and subtle.

This would make the ninja jump (quickly turn a corner, jump backwards over the enemies head, and assassinate them) quite tactical, since those are normally used when you're being chased and/or weak.