The Halo 4 DMR vs. BR?

Iиversiσn

Hello forum,

Overall, 343i put a very sleek look on the Halo 4 BR, as seen in the trailer. I could only imagine that they would do the same for the DMR. I'm not sure if the DMR has been confirmed, but Frank O'Conner said that the Battle Rifle is not going to be a replacement weapon, this only leads me to believe that the DMR is basically confirmed.

There is one thing that I am interested about, what one will be better? If we take into account the BR 4-shot and the DMR 5-shot, you'd think that the BR is better. Something interesting to think about is the timing, the time that it takes to kill someone with a perfect 4-shot and a perfect 5-shot. The DMR's rate of fire is higher, but on the other hand, the BR requires less shots. I am sure that this could be timed in a match of Halo 3 and Halo: Reach, but will 343i change it up a little bit?

In Halo 3, for a perfect 4-shot with the Battle Rifle, it required players to land all four shots on the enemies head. On the other hand, to land a perfect 5-shot in Halo: Reach, the player had to put four shots on the enemy, (No matter where it hit), and then a fifth shot to the head. In Halo 4 this might change, and it might not change.

My question to you, is this.

• From all of the information that you have accumulated, what weapon do you think will be better?
  • How do you think that 343i will balance the Battle Rifle and the DMR so that one will not completely be a better weapon than the other?
  • Will Halo 4 use the, "Four shots anywhere then a fifth to the head", or the Halo 3 system, "All four shots must be on the head".

-MaGIIXz

• Like 2

Assuming the DMR really is back, I'd guess that their roles will have been changed slightly.

The DMR may have a more powerful scope and a slower firing rate, making it work better at long range than the Battle Rifle, whose spread seems to have increased quite a bit from Halo 3 judging from the screenshots we've seen. I'd put my money on the DMR now actually filling the role of a poor man's Sniper Rifle instead of a general-purpose weapon. Slower firing rate would make it win versus BR at long range but lose at closer ranges, where the fast three-round bursts allow for quicker kills.

As far as I remember, in Halo 3 damage to Shields was the same regardless of whether you were shooting the head or not. I'm guessing they'll just stick with that system.

Assuming the DMR really is back, I'd guess that their roles will have been changed slightly.

The DMR may have a more powerful scope and a slower firing rate, making it work better at long range than the Battle Rifle, whose spread seems to have increased quite a bit from Halo 3 judging from the screenshots we've seen. I'd put my money on the DMR now actually filling the role of a poor man's Sniper Rifle instead of a general-purpose weapon. Slower firing rate would make it win versus BR at long range but lose at closer ranges, where the fast three-round bursts allow for quicker kills.

As far as I remember, in Halo 3 damage to Shields was the same regardless of whether you were shooting the head or not. I'm guessing they'll just stick with that system.

Yeah DMR, is a long ranged weapons and should stay that way, BR for Med, AR for close. I hope they actually, make it this way, but in the right hands a skilled player can use all 3 of these at any range, and DMR needs slower fire rate, it's powerful..

I like where Halo 4 is going with this. Primary weapons that fill a definite niche, but can still overlap and can perform out of their comfort zones.

I also think that the DMR can be successful as a 4-shot weapon, with no bloom and such, since the BR is back.

This is what I think will happen.

DMR: Very Accurate, a bit slower rate than BR, very minimal recoil.

BR: Same accuracy and fire rate as Halo 3's BR, a noticeable, but predictable recoil.

AR: Accurate if shot correctly (Not spraying), strong recoil, but if most shots are put into the enemy, will definitely outshoot someone with a BR. So it'll take more skill to properly evade.

I never mind when someone that is good with an AR kills me when I mess up a four shot. It even pushes me to shoot with an AR, sometimes.

• Like 1

I like where Halo 4 is going with this. Primary weapons that fill a definite niche, but can still overlap and can perform out of their comfort zones.

I also think that the DMR can be successful as a 4-shot weapon, with no bloom and such, since the BR is back.

This is what I think will happen.

DMR: Very Accurate, a bit slower rate than BR, very minimal recoil.

BR: Same accuracy and fire rate as Halo 3's BR, a noticeable, but predictable recoil.

AR: Accurate if shot correctly (Not spraying), strong recoil, but if most shots are put into the enemy, will definitely outshoot someone with a BR. So it'll take more skill to properly evade.

I never mind when someone that is good with an AR kills me when I mess up a four shot. It even pushes me to shoot with an AR, sometimes.

That's definitely the way I'd like to see it, just described a lot better than I'd say it!

I am glad that the BR is coming back, just as long as they increase zoom and slow down rate of fire by like a few seconds. The DMR wouldn't be that bad either, just as long as the improve the power and zoom.

What I am hoping for is same accuracy in both, and maybe a little bit of a tweaked damage ratio to make them even. I remember that the BR was a KILLER in mid range combat, and the DMR is better for long range. Maybe they will balance each other out a bit. Promises to make SWAT interesting though. lol

As others have said, most likely it'll be br mid range and dmr long range. Br spread will probably be too large to be effective at longer ranges and dmr will probably fire too slow to be effective at closer ranges. Needless to say, I'm interested to see how their weapon balancing will be.

• Like 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The DMR and BR should be merged into one weapon with primary and secondary fire modes. Primary should be to fire the 3 shot burst like the BR for medium range and Secondary should be a single shot like the DMR for longer range attacks.

If you ask me, this would make SWAT matches so much more interesting. Maybe scrap the Magnum completely for a certain gametype.

^ I had an xbox live friend with the exact same idea. And I always liked it.

Nevertheless, I love both those new weapons. The DMR looks fantastic, and the BR looks bad-ASS. I don't know about all of you, but if I were to have a choice primary and secondary weapon in a match, those are the weapons I'd have.

Here is a thought..... What if they decided to have a single fire option when zoomed? We have done this in halo 2, where when you zoom it fires single shots, and out of zoom the usual 3 burst fire. If that were the case....the BR and DMR might actually come out pretty even.