How the Betrayl and Team-Mate Damage system should work in Halo: 4.

Archangel Tyrael

How often does this happen to you? Do you manage to get your hands on the power weapons every single game? They system might need "improvement" but its unfair to say it "sucks". The game is not broke because of this.

No, but if no one is picking them up i tend to grab them or tell my team mates their up no one calls it i go pick it up and use it, i am not a power weapon hoarder just view my stats, and the game isnt "broken" i am just saying it make sit unbearable sometimes. As i said before 2 out of 7 games at least.

Deranking people for betrayals is perfect for people looking to derank (and there are plenty of them)... its not the solution.

This is true. Unless you always match players against what their highest rank ever was, regardless of what it currently is. Thoughts?

It really is worth pointing out with this that this simply is not a big issue and there are definitely more important things to be attended to.

343 shouldn't be spending an inordinate amount of time improving what is already a decent time, especially so since any possible solution they implement has at least a big a chance of unfairly restricting peoples freedom as actually being effective.

If you are having so many problems with betrayers such that you disagree with that, its likely your doing something wrong in game.

How is stopping people from betraying, or trying to limit them betraying, restricting peoples freedom at actually being effective? I'm just curious, because it makes no sense to me. How is betraying a teammate effective at all?

This is true. Unless you always match players against what their highest rank ever was, regardless of what it currently is. Thoughts?

Trouble is people can loose skill, I know I used to be much better at H3 than I am now (used to play it everyday), also people can get carried to higher levels

Its hard to find a balanced boot system that is strict enough to boot people when they betray too often, but fair enough that people who accidentally betray don't get booted. I personally think if someone betrays twice they should be booted, I personally rarely betray I may get one betrayal in the odd game.... The only trouble with this is situations where you may accidentally betray two team-mates at once with say a rocket or laser.

Derankers is another story, so long as quitting a game means you derank it'll always happen. Maybe there needs to be some alternative punishment to quitting.

Losing skill is a problem few have, and it is generally caused by not playing the game. As for being carried to a higher rank, personally it needs to be more than just wins that help you advance. Wins + Performance would be the most balanced. Wins would get you so far, but if you're performance isn't up to scratch, that's that, you're stuck at a certain rank until you really improve your skill at the game. And performance can be more than simply kills vs. deaths. Objectives can play a major role as well, kill the flag carrier? Helping your team win is a good performance. Flag captures? Same thing. Oddball time? Great. Hill time? Wonderful. You don't do any of those? Well, what are you doing for your team? But this is off topic. Back to the betrayals & booting.

The problem is, any system that we can come up with, there isn't any mercy for accidental betrayals. A computer program cannot determine what was an accident or not. It's just not possible.

Currently, quitting gets you banned for 10 minutes. Is a 10 minute ban enough? Maybe you take the deranking idea from my earlier post, and apply it to quitting games. You quit 5 games? 10 minutes. 10 games? 20 minutes. Etc.

Losing skill is a problem few have, and it is generally caused by not playing the game. As for being carried to a higher rank, personally it needs to be more than just wins that help you advance. Wins + Performance would be the most balanced. Wins would get you so far, but if you're performance isn't up to scratch, that's that, you're stuck at a certain rank until you really improve your skill at the game. And performance can be more than simply kills vs. deaths. Objectives can play a major role as well, kill the flag carrier? Helping your team win is a good performance. Flag captures? Same thing. Oddball time? Great. Hill time? Wonderful. You don't do any of those? Well, what are you doing for your team? But this is off topic. Back to the betrayals & booting.

The problem is, any system that we can come up with, there isn't any mercy for accidental betrayals. A computer program cannot determine what was an accident or not. It's just not possible.

Currently, quitting gets you banned for 10 minutes. Is a 10 minute ban enough? Maybe you take the deranking idea from my earlier post, and apply it to quitting games. You quit 5 games? 10 minutes. 10 games? 20 minutes. Etc.

Yeah I like the idea of your personal performance playing a role in your ranking, The trouble I see with the objective idea is people betraying you for more ball time or hill time, or atleast weakening you so the enemy kills you, Team-mates don't always play nice. Plus its just as important to protect your team-mate who has the objective

Yeah I also like the ban for quitting, but 10 minutes isn't nearly enough, maybe an hour for quitting 5 games.

Yeah I like the idea of your personal performance playing a role in your ranking, The trouble I see with the objective idea is people betraying you for more ball time or hill time, or atleast weakening you so the enemy kills you, Team-mates don't always play nice. Plus its just as important to protect your team-mate who has the objective

Yeah I also like the ban for quitting, but 10 minutes isn't nearly enough, maybe an hour for quitting 5 games.

But that's the beauty of implementing both systems. You betray for the flag/oddball/whatever, you're still getting banned at some point. Now the weakening thing, that's a whole other issue dealing with friendly fire. Reach had the protector medal. What about modifying it slightly so that if somebody is shooting the flag carrier/oddball carrier, you get it instead. Protecting a team-mate who has the objective then adds value to performance.

I still think the game needs to keep friendly fire in, though. Taking it out leads to even more issues, but it does fix the betrayals.

I hope 343 read these threads, some really great idea's here.

Perhaps the ranking system could be points based (the player doesn't actually see the points)

Say you get the following:

50 points in Slayer per kill

15 points in Slayer per assist

Perhaps minus points for deaths?

60 points in objective for protecting your team-mate(s) with objective

30 points for just killing an enemy in an objective game type

15 for an assits

100 for a Flag score

(Giving points for picking up the flag may not work as you could just keep picking it up and dropping it or flag running)

Maybe 2 points a second for KoTH matches (being in the hill), Same for oddball.

You could say it'll take 1000 points to rank up between level 1-10 and 2000 points between 10-20 ETC...

You'd have to start off at a base level of say 1000 points and loose points if you go negative or don't help your team with the objective otherwise you'd never derank if you did bad.

And so there is incentive to win the game you may get 500 points per win, and loose 500 points if you loose.

The only issue I would have with individual skill taking part in rank is that people would want to betray to attain those power weapons so they might rank up even if they loose. If anything, I think it would make things worse.

And after second thought, betrayals deminishing rank is a bad idea when it comes to derankers. And it would be a bad idea to "plateau" a persons highest skill.

First of all, when it comes to being betrayed most people do it just to go lolol, and do it around 2-3 times and get away with not being booted, and this is very annoying.

What i have in mind is, if you shoot your teammate insiting on betraying them, you should take the damage from what you have done to them, Rebounded damage. This would also help with noobs throwing grenades trying to help but just makes it worse, making people more skilled knowing when to throw grenade and shoot power weapons and etc.

Booting how many kills should it take for someone to get booted in a single game? 2. This is debateable i want to know everyones opinions about this.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Well, to keep them from knocking your shields down and allowing others to kill you, you should take 10% more damage than you inflict on your team-mate.

Seems like a good idea for those people sniping afraid to get kill by their own sniper shot, like in previous posts, and people who use rockets and nades, be more careful with them, and if they are abotu dead like..5 health bars, that really isn't a problem is it, or just let them die..and shoot the rocket, just don't shoot it killing everyone lol.

I think you have a good idea but what if somebody purposely walks in front of their teammate so they can get the penalty? Once that happened to me i was trying to shoot a enemy across the map with a sniper and a teammate walks in front and gets killed and boots me. :thumbdown:

He even sent me a message saying "Got you booted hahaha"

This could become the new betraying for lols

• Like 1

or wait why don't they just take friendly fire off? even though it's fake why not? It takes away the problem.

Because taking friendly fire off brings up a whole new set of issues. So now, instead of being careful with that rocket launcher, you see two teammates fighting two enemies in close proximity, you fire the rocket, get two kills, and your teammates live. There's no consequence for firing a rocket into melee's anymore. No consequences for grenades being thrown into melee's. While it solves the betrayal issue, it does bring up more issues on its own.