Halo 4's Forge is Good, but Not Reach.

Rerun4911

Halo Forge  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the Halo's Forge is the best?

Believe it or not, some people think that Halo 4's Forge is bad. I, am one of those people. There are multiple problems, such as the block sizes, for example, the 4x4 corner, is not the same size as a regular 4x4. Here is a list that I've gathered of problems, if you feel I've left anything out, just comment below. But, this is completely a matter of opinion, if you disagree, do not take offense. These changes are also recommended for Halo 5.

1. The size of objects.

2. Take out piece limit. (Leaving budget.)

3. The size of the maps. Forge World 2.0?

4. The lighting. (Just tweaks.)

5. Zoom in edit mode.

6. Manual adjustments. (Pushing left stick in.)

7. Textures should be changed to forerunner style.

8. Gravity lift physics.

9. Piece design. (Coliseum window is rectangular.)

10. Missing pieces. (Glass sail.)

These things would most logically be added in Halo 5, however, some things could be added in an update to Halo 4.

The Forge has definitely gone down from Reach. Take a look at the THFE Competitive map submissions. All of the Reach maps look incredible, while most of the Halo 4 ones look ugly. 90% of the blocks in Halo 4 are terrible looking compared to the ones in Reach. Some of the pieces don't even line up either.

• Like 1

Sounds like you are just complaining... I mean come on. Halo Reach's forge is what started it for what is to come for Halo 4 but you got to move on now. Halo Reach is done and almost everything was done. But I won't argue with you, you have your own opinion.

Your right, were complaining, but for a reason. Halo 4 forge could be better, so, that said, were just putting our voice out there and giving feedback.
  • Like 1

Halo Reach has been out for a while. Forgers have been able to fiddle with the mechanics longer in Reach than in Halo 4. It will just take time before we start to see quality improvement in community maps. But it wouldn't hurt if we got lots of the forge mechanics we had in Reach in future updates.

1. The size of objects

5. Zoom in edit mode.

8. Gravity lift physics.

1-Agrees: the blocks are about 1/4 the size of reach's and the bridges are wider

1-Disagrees: some pieces are bigger though im not sure which ones

2-Agrees: piece limit does limit some building specs, you just gotta work with what you have

2-Disagrees: there were limits on reach. do remember, the forge is basically reach's with some changes

3-Agrees: highly doubt forge world will come to 4. there are some spaces to use like a little off the ground on impact and the open lake area on erosion

4-Agrees: dont really got anything

4-Disagrees: objects actually show shadows now as reach's left the default lighting as if nothing was there

5-Agrees: agreed. sometimes ill launch a mongoose off a grav lift and want to watch it lands without building a platform first so i can be a player and watch it

5-Disagrees: got nothing

6-Agrees: i could never align my maps by hand

6-Disagrees: i use edit coordinates

7-Agrees: textures are too boring, might as well look as the motionless sky

7-Disagrees: reach's textures were a fresh batch from the ancient look of 3

8-Agrees and Disagrees: havent used those gravity volumes and trait zones

9-Agrees: got nothing

9-Disagrees: having the coliseum window square instead of reach's window helps fill spots on maps that 2 windows had to fill

10-Agrees and Disagrees: didn't notice anything missing

11: add underwater since reach had some underwater maps

I personally haven't been too upset with forge until this past week. Sure it has bugs and the precision editing isn't there like it was in Reach, but i was able to get by (mostly because i wasn't focusing on smaller more detailed maps). This week though.....I am going crazy! I have been working on a map for the 4v4 Slayer Forge Competition posted by THFE. I worked very hard and diligently on two maps, and have had a hard time balancing enough time between work and finishing my degree as well as Forging. The problem i have been having is that every time i save these maps and come back it them, no matter how many times i fix them without using edit coordinates or magnets, my pieces somehow become out of place!!! Its so frustrating! My floors and walls and ceilings among many other things look amazingly spotless and aligned...until i come back the next day to forge again. They need to fix this! Anyone else feel my frustration?

I personally haven't been too upset with forge until this past week. Sure it has bugs and the precision editing isn't there like it was in Reach, but i was able to get by (mostly because i wasn't focusing on smaller more detailed maps). This week though.....I am going crazy! I have been working on a map for the 4v4 Slayer Forge Competition posted by THFE. I worked very hard and diligently on two maps, and have had a hard time balancing enough time between work and finishing my degree as well as Forging. The problem i have been having is that every time i save these maps and come back it them, no matter how many times i fix them without using edit coordinates or magnets, my pieces somehow become out of place!!! Its so frustrating! My floors and walls and ceilings among many other things look amazingly spotless and aligned...until i come back the next day to forge again. They need to fix this! Anyone else feel my frustration?

Finally, someone with the same problem as me. This is very frustrating. Just ignore the problem until you are at the last version of the map, then align everything.

Your right, were complaining, but for a reason. Halo 4 forge could be better, so, that said, were just putting our voice out there and giving feedback.

Very true sir, very true. 343 literally did mess things up in Halo 4's forge. Just like precision editing, apparently they were to have it but it seems that it was not as important to them and they forgot to inscribe it into the game. How do you forget something so important.

Who in the world put Halo 3 as the best forge. It had really cool pieces but boy was it hard to make a map. Maybe for custom games it was the best, the forge was so simple that it mixed so well with some simple gametypes.

Very true sir, very true. 343 literally did mess things up in Halo 4's forge. Just like precision editing, apparently they were to have it but it seems that it was not as important to them and they forgot to inscribe it into the game. How do you forget something so important.

Who in the world put Halo 3 as the best forge. It had really cool pieces but boy was it hard to make a map. Maybe for custom games it was the best, the forge was so simple that it mixed so well with some simple gametypes.

343 didn't make forge in Halo 4 Cetain Affinity did.

• Like 1

Believe it or not, some people think that Halo 4's Forge is bad. I, am one of those people. There are multiple problems, such as the block sizes, for example, the 4x4 corner, is not the same size as a regular 4x4. Here is a list that I've gathered of problems, if you feel I've left anything out, just comment below. But, this is completely a matter of opinion, if you disagree, do not take offense. These changes are also recommended for Halo 5.

1. The size of objects.

5. Zoom in edit mode.

8. Gravity lift physics.

These things would most logically be added in Halo 5, however, some things could be added in an update to Halo 4.

i see you point but this is also like halo 3 no real work on it. it makes me somewhat sick when trying to build maps cause the first time i saw it was hard to find out where to put it. but i learn and now i see it some what better than reach. but forge isn't 343i outreach it's the weapons and storyline they worry about

• 1 month later...

Trust me, i know this is 343's forums, but I honestly don't care about bashing them here....they could care less about halo 4 and its fan base.  It makes me sick to turn on the game and see like 50k total population at peak hours at most!  They messed up in a lot of ways and the biggest way was not listening to the community at all!  (Keep in mind in this Rant when i say 343i i also am including Certain Affinity since they are working together)

Lots of us, especially forgers, wanted the game types that were in most of the other halo games...race, assault, 1-flag, all 1-sided game types, etc....but yet 6 months into it's release and they have said in multiple statements that the only other updates will be bug fixes!

Forge sucks!  When i spend 20 hours on a forge map i expect it to be beautiful!  I expect there to be no lag, no lighting issues, no graphical errors, and to have completely smooth play.  Unfortunately with Halo 4's forge I have not had this experience yet.  If you build a big map.....it lags!  If you build a beautiful map with amazing scenery that is big enough for a 4v4 game.....it lags!  You basically have to use as much of the landscape and as little of your own blocks and especially windows as possible to create a completely smooth and playable 4v4 competitive map.  Also quoted above i talked about some of the glitches that forge has........i have noticed some improvement with Forge Island but literally Forge Island might have taken them an hour to build.....no offense.

Another thing is Spartan Ops.  One of the big selling points of the game was that the spartan ops story line would be continuously updated weekly until Halo 5 came out, that way there is something always new to play.......well they straight up LIED!  They have already said that spartan ops would probably not have a 2nd season or any more episodes for season 1.  Which is kind of crazy thinking that only 9 or 10 episodes were released within the first few months and then they stopped making them.....what is 343 doing?  Only working on Halo 5?

Thirdly, the map pack was a rip off for them to make money.  I mean isn't it always?  But this time these maps were already created prior to launch...sure they hadn't been tested but the maps were indeed formed and created and even named before the launch of Halo 4.  This way they didn't have to waste their time making new content while still trying to fix their broken game.  Yet they didn't fix their broken game.

I honestly don't know what 343i is up to, what they are interested in, and if they will ever listen to the community as well as Bungie did for so many years.  All i know is that Bungie Studios is laughing their asses off right now knowing that Halo 5 will pose no competition whatsoever against their upcoming title "Destiny".  Have you seen their GROGNOK world building tool? It could probably build the world of Halo in a few hours.  I still forge pretty much every other day and play matchmaking and custom games when i can, but i have lost all respect for 343 industries and hope that one day they will learn from their mistakes.

Sorry for the rant lol

• Like 1