Why Halo 2 Anniversary Wouldn't Be A Good Thing

SatanicBagels

I have seen a lot of threads recently begging for a Halo 2 Anniversary Edition. I am for one horrified by the idea that 343i might come in an stomp all over (arguably) the best game ever made. Here's why they shouldn't touch Halo 2.

1. The multiplayer wouldn't be what we remembered

2. The graphics don't need to get upgraded (suprised nobody says this)

3. Game was partially known for glitches (they would probably be removed)

Now let me expand upon the biggest one for me. The prospect of bringing back Halo 2 multiplayer and introducing all of the newer features to it disgusts me. Halo 2 is known for one thing and halo 4 is known for one thing. When a game (H2) is built around key game-play features it is obviously not going to play the same way when different ones are introduced. If there's one thing I don't want to do it's play Halo 2 with Halo 4 features. It would ruin my memories of Halo 2 forever.

The second point I made that I'm surprised nobody has mentioned earlier is that the graphics don't even need to be improved. Open both of the spoilers below to see the comparison. Halo CE had way worse graphics. There was a significant reason to remaster it. Part of that reason was also to show how far graphics had come since early xbox to late Xbox 360. There is no significant need for a Halo 2 remake.

This is Halo CE

haloce2012-12-3022-53-34-16_zps48afacf9.jpg

This is Halo 2

07_halo2vista_4.nphd.jpg

The third point I made is not as important but it is still important. Part of the nostalgia, at least for me, was some of the glitches and unbalanced features present in the game. Any competitive multiplayer map will have the superbounces removed which arguably was a lot of fun in the Halo 2 days. Also I would expect a Sword nerf which would have a serious effect on how much I enjoy Lockout.

Well this was just my two cents. Sorry to be swimming against the current but that is honestly how I feel about this issue. :)

• Like 2

I'd still like a Halo 2 Anniversary. The graphics aren't too bad, but I'd prefer an updated one. Plus, I'm sure they glitches won't be removed because m sure you had to use some to get the Scarab Gun? And that was put in by Bungie. Oh and if you use an example of Halo CE best not to use Halo Custom Edition.

I'd still like a Halo 2 Anniversary. The graphics aren't too bad, but I'd prefer an updated one. Plus, I'm sure they glitches won't be removed because m sure you had to use some to get the Scarab Gun? And that was put in by Bungie. Oh and if you use an example of Halo CE best not to use Halo Custom Edition.

Scarab gun was designed. Glitches are by definition unintentional.

Scarab gun was designed. Glitches are by definition unintentional.

They left most of the CMP glitches in CEA so with that precedent there's hope that H2A would be mostly left untouched. They could fix them if they want or leave them, I would think. MP is another matter, they will most likely fix the SB's whether they want to or not simply by the act of upgrading the coding to the newer servers. They would have to design the SB's back into the game and I don't think that it's possible to design anomalies into a game.

*points to gamerpic* I don't care about the glitches, multiplayer or what not. I want to play my favorite Halo game with updated graphics and classic maps i miss so much

agreed its not my favorite halo game but i still love it.

The Scarab gun in particular was left in as a test weapon. Any weapon that utilizes a high particle.effect as a projectile would need to be tested as a fp_weapon first, before moving onto other parts. Likely they decided to leave it in as seeing it being impossible for players to reach it. Another sad case of underestimating the player and their resourcefullness.....lmao

• Like 1

im stiill would like halo 2 annivery

1 i tried to play halo 2 campain i found it so painfull to play with real bad grathics

2 would it not be fun to see the game to revoltionizes online play with the point halo is now

3 in halo cea 343 left all the glliches in the mssion was to remaster not pach gliches i doubt they would take gliches out in halo 2 annivery

im stiill would like halo 2 annivery

It's all a matter of opinions, strictly speaking. Here's my reasoning for why I don't want a Halo 2 Anniversary.

1 i tried to play halo 2 campain i found it so painful to play with real bad graphics

Call me crazy but playing Halo 2 on upgraded graphics would ruin the nostalgia for me. I'm certain there are a lot of people out there in the same boat. Plus I don't see the lowered graphics in Halo 2 as being low enough to call for a remaster. After they did the first game people will expect every one to get remastered. There were reasons (It being the first game being the biggest that comes to mind) that they should have remade the first but no others.

2 would it not be fun to see the game to revoltionizes online play with the point halo is now

Considering the way people feel about current features of the game I'd say that the last thing they would want to do is take modern Halo 2 stuff and mash those features all over it. Halo 2 was a very respected multiplayer game... I think I speak for a large portion of the population when I say that Halo 2 was the pinnacle of multiplayer for the duration of the Xbox. A lot of people may make an argument for Halo 3 but many of the people that Have played Halo 2 online would qualify it as the best online FPS experience to ever exist. (opinions of course)

I don't think changing this out for game features that have (let's be honest) not been met with much love from a considerable amount of players would be the best move.

3 in halo cea 343 left all the glliches in the mssion was to remaster not pach gliches i doubt they would take gliches out in halo 2 annivery

I don't know what I'm talking about but somebody that obviously does (Twinreaper) has made his case for superbounces being fixed. The best I can do considering my lack of knowledge is rely on his expertise and go with his word. Superbounces were a very large part of the nostalgia for a very (VERY) large portion of the community and fixing them would be a minor, but notable, mark against the game.

Once again, all opinions.

Bring the game back and just up the graphics. Leave everything else alone. Leave the glitches, keep all the same maps, don't make any new ones, and keep the dual wielding. No AA, no sprinting, no loud outs, and no perks. Just Halo 2 with better graphics.

Would like some achievements for it as well.

I mainly want it so I can play coop and not sign out of LIVE to play. My friends won't touch the original because of original Xbox...

Toughie they did, I hope the cutscenes would load then. Not about 2 seconds after playing. That annoyed the crisp outta me...

I spent many hours exploring the roofs out side Outskirts... Good times... :)

I would like to see a Halo 2 anniversary, but what I really want is a compilation for the next gen Xbox (720 or whatever it is). Make an original trilogy compilation of Halo 1-3 with all the maps from the 3 games. Yes there are remakes within there, so either have only one or have both the original and the remake. In terms of the MP.....hard to say how to handle it. I personally hated the super jumps so I wouldn't miss them.

My main reason for wanting something like this is to play Halo 2 online co-op and to have all those maps in one place. Think about how many maps there would be....probably too many. LOL.

A Halo 2 anniversary could be the same game we all knew and loved. If you are worried about graphics then it could have a mode like in CEA where you press back and hey presto; original details. And with the Anniversary there would be servers for the multiplayer again, which were sadly taken down for the original halo 2. I also am worried about removal of fun glitches and secrets, but in CEA they added more secrets with the skulls and terminals. Halo 2 anniversary could allow you to toggle skulls after finding them like in Halo 3. As long as they keep the mechanics that made the game i think it would be a great addition to any halo collection. Only an opinion though.

• 2 weeks later...

A Halo 2 anniversary could be the same game we all knew and loved. If you are worried about graphics then it could have a mode like in CEA where you press back and hey presto; original details. And with the Anniversary there would be servers for the multiplayer again, which were sadly taken down for the original halo 2. I also am worried about removal of fun glitches and secrets, but in CEA they added more secrets with the skulls and terminals. Halo 2 anniversary could allow you to toggle skulls after finding them like in Halo 3. As long as they keep the mechanics that made the game i think it would be a great addition to any halo collection. Only an opinion though.

Your Right. It could be just like CEA with new servers, Toggle old graphics, find skulls, and Gliches.

• 1 month later...

We're requesting for the H2A to be a pure port. Do not remove, do not alter anything. Keep all glitches. Graphic touchups are a touchy issue. I would actually prefer the same graphics, at least in MP. They should do the same thing they did with HCEA with the campaign though, that was brilliant.

It's absolute total horse **** that we can't play halo 2 anymore. There's no other game (excluding the other wiped original xbox games, and in that case no other great game) that you CANNOT play anymore because the companies in charge cut service. Original xbox games (halo 2 specifically) were cut in order to boost sames of xbox 360 games. Pretty ******* sneaky move IMHO. WE, THE ORIGINAL HALO 2 PLAYERS, BUILT XBOX LIVE. All of XBL's success came from the halo 2 players. If there was no awesome H2 community, who knows, maybe playstation would be the leader an innovator of online console gaming. I genuinely feel like we are OWED a perfect report of Halo 2. The idea of never being able to play h2 online, the way it was, EVER AGAIN- Is just a horrible horrible feeling. I'm sick thunking about it and have been sick since they cut the service. Please 343, please do the right thing.

• Like 2