Why Halo 2 Anniversary Wouldn't Be A Good Thing

SatanicBagels

I have seen a lot of threads recently begging for a Halo 2 Anniversary Edition. I am for one horrified by the idea that 343i might come in an stomp all over (arguably) the best game ever made. Here's why they shouldn't touch Halo 2.

1. The multiplayer wouldn't be what we remembered

2. The graphics don't need to get upgraded (suprised nobody says this)

3. Game was partially known for glitches (they would probably be removed)

Now let me expand upon the biggest one for me. The prospect of bringing back Halo 2 multiplayer and introducing all of the newer features to it disgusts me. Halo 2 is known for one thing and halo 4 is known for one thing. When a game (H2) is built around key game-play features it is obviously not going to play the same way when different ones are introduced. If there's one thing I don't want to do it's play Halo 2 with Halo 4 features. It would ruin my memories of Halo 2 forever.

The second point I made that I'm surprised nobody has mentioned earlier is that the graphics don't even need to be improved. Open both of the spoilers below to see the comparison. Halo CE had way worse graphics. There was a significant reason to remaster it. Part of that reason was also to show how far graphics had come since early xbox to late Xbox 360. There is no significant need for a Halo 2 remake.

This is Halo CE

haloce2012-12-3022-53-34-16_zps48afacf9.

This is Halo 2

07_halo2vista_4.nphd.jpg

The third point I made is not as important but it is still important. Part of the nostalgia, at least for me, was some of the glitches and unbalanced features present in the game. Any competitive multiplayer map will have the superbounces removed which arguably was a lot of fun in the Halo 2 days. Also I would expect a Sword nerf which would have a serious effect on how much I enjoy Lockout.

Well this was just my two cents. Sorry to be swimming against the current but that is honestly how I feel about this issue. smile.png

I completely agree with you on the simple fact I DON'T want to see a halo 2 remake however would love to have halo 2 back online just the way it was so we can enjoy halo 2 multiplayer again just as long as they don't change ANYTHING!

I'm only really going to disagree with you on the third point, because they didn't remove any of the glitches from Halo CEA, so why would they with Halo 2 A? The graphics could use some updating because let's face it, each year these new fps' come out the older classics (such AS Halo 2) look pitiful. I would personally like to see new graphics, but would prefer the original. That's the magic of Anniversary though, is that we can choose which ones we want to play with.

I have seen a lot of threads recently begging for a Halo 2 Anniversary Edition. I am for one horrified by the idea that 343i might come in an stomp all over (arguably) the best game ever made. Here's why they shouldn't touch Halo 2.

Now let me expand upon the biggest one for me. The prospect of bringing back Halo 2 multiplayer and introducing all of the newer features to it disgusts me. Halo 2 is known for one thing and halo 4 is known for one thing. When a game (H2) is built around key game-play features it is obviously not going to play the same way when different ones are introduced. If there's one thing I don't want to do it's play Halo 2 with Halo 4 features. It would ruin my memories of Halo 2 forever.

The second point I made that I'm surprised nobody has mentioned earlier is that the graphics don't even need to be improved. Open both of the spoilers below to see the comparison. Halo CE had way worse graphics. There was a significant reason to remaster it. Part of that reason was also to show how far graphics had come since early xbox to late Xbox 360. There is no significant need for a Halo 2 remake.

This is Halo CE

This is Halo 2

07_halo2vista_4.nphd.jpg

The third point I made is not as important but it is still important. Part of the nostalgia, at least for me, was some of the glitches and unbalanced features present in the game. Any competitive multiplayer map will have the superbounces removed which arguably was a lot of fun in the Halo 2 days. Also I would expect a Sword nerf which would have a serious effect on how much I enjoy Lockout.

Well this was just my two cents. Sorry to be swimming against the current but that is honestly how I feel about this issue. smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

I funnily enough totally agree with you. But if you're thinking Halo 2 will practically be remade: it won't. Because remember what they did to Halo 1's remake? They only really tinted the graphics a tiny bit. I don't think anybody would mind it's graphics different a bit. Halo 2 was one of the most amzing games in the franchise and I see how you mean it would be ruined

if they gave it Halo 4 graphics and things that have recently been put into Halo 4. But it must of taken long to do the new tints to Halo 4, so why would they bother to do all that hard-work

again? 

• 6 months later...

This is Halo CE

This is Halo 2

07_halo2vista_4.nphd.jpg

Well this was just my two cents. Sorry to be swimming against the current but that is honestly how I feel about this issue. :)

Well I don't really think that they'd be removed, because the Halo CEA glitches weren't I don't see why 343 would remove them from H2A.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Brenton, you never played the Halo 2 Beta, so what your going about, I have no idea.  The Halo 2 beta was never made public, and the actual print run of discs was around 7500.  To get those discs you had to be an insider.  Although yes, I do have the files for it.  You would have been like 5 years old, I highly doubt you played it either way.  Halo 3, yes, I'm sure you played that beta.

• Like 2