So, 343 had there chance...

Larval Extract

Well, 343 have now had their [thanks Ventus!] chance and now we start off 343's adventure with Halo 4. The question is, did 343 do a good job?

My personal opinion? No. And here's why:

The campaign felt like riding a banana through a giant glowing toothpaste tube whilst chanting satanic hymns and smacking trumpets over our heads. But that makes no sense! And that's the whole point; the campaign made absolutely no sense. Where the hell did these Promethean things come from? Who the **** is the "Didact"? What the hell was even going on? None of the crap that happened in this game has any reference to any other Halo. I guess it is 4 years after the events of Halo 3 but I hope 343 have some methods of getting the story out to us in the near future. My only problem is why couldn't they just put that all in the game? The campaign in the other games had some sort of direction and played a good addition to the Halo storyline. This though... The campaign feels completely random and out of line.

Next for the multiplayer... When I first played Halo 4's "War Games" it seemed like Halo 3 again, but this time, far too over-done. And not only has it been over-done, it's not really that fun anymore, all the maps are fairly basic, there are barely any playlists and various gamemodes, and Halo 4 is now catered towards MLG try-hards. 343 even confessed this, but I thought Halo was all about "f**k realism, it's all about fun!"?. It has had improvements compared to Halo Reach (lack of armour lock FTW) but that doesn't particularly mean it's great. Also, what the heck is the point in "Infinity War Games"? Why the hell does multiplayer need some sort of story to it now? Just for realism? Well it pulls away from the fun of Halo! Which brings me to custom games... Oh God...

In addition to multiplayer, the custom games are actually kinda terrible. Remember the days when all we played was Infection on Halo 3? No matter what map, no matter what crazy setups there were, we always played infection because it was just so damn fun. In Halo 4 they gave the infected unique player models, which is honestly pretty cool, but here is the MAJOR problem with infection in Halo 4: The customisation. What the f**k happened to it? You can't even change the Infected's loadouts! Infection is basically the reason custom games in Halo 3 were SO popular. Infection in Halo 4 has now been dramatically watered down. You can't even use weapons on the map anymore, let alone change the colour of the human players! I assume this is all because it's ****ty "Infinity War Games s00pah srs re4listik xdddd" now.

I think the only thing that didn't fail too much in this game is Forge, but it didn't really improve much if at all from Halo Reach. (no Forge World... why. just f**king why.)

Overall, my opinion on Halo 4: On its own it's a great game to play, but as a Halo... Uck, no. For now I will stick to playing mediocre "War Games" just to unlock the EOD armour (of all the armour permutations in this game, EOD is one of the only decent looking ones) and then I have no idea after that. I've been a fan of Halo since the first one, and now I am extremely skeptical about following on with the series.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. What do YOU think of Halo 4, and do you still have hope in 343? I know I don't.

P.S. This isn't a hate thread! I just personally thought Halo 4 was a bit of a disappointment and am interested in other's opinions :)

P.S.S Title should say 'their'.... herp a derpa doo

Bungie... please come back :(

• Like 1

My personal opinion. Yes.

The campaign was confusing to you because you did not know as much information that dedicated halo fans know from the halo books.

War games was over done because keeping it the same as before would be pointless. It would just be a graphics update. I think 343i did a great job on the campaign and in multiplayer. Keep up the good work 343. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Everything that happened in Campaign is explained properly and you will understand most of it if you pay attention. The Terminals explain how the Prometheans were made and who Didact is, but check the Wiki if you're still confused.

Personally, I love the Multiplayer. It has a Halo 3 feel to it, and it's super fun. It gives a real competetive feel to it at the same time, which is something I like.

All in all, I see your points and understand why you don't like Halo. But I must disagree with you. The Campaign gives enough explanation and in my opinion I think it's pretty hard not to pick up the explanations. Multiplayer is good and fun, you just need to adapt to the new changes and gameplay.

Also: It's spelled "their", not "there". ;)

• Like 2

The campaign felt like riding a banana through a giant glowing toothpaste tube whilst chanting satanic hymns and smacking trumpets over our heads. But that makes no sense! And that's the whole point; the campaign made absolutely no sense. Where the hell did these Promethean things come from? Who the **** is the "Didact"? What the hell was even going on? None of the crap that happened in this game has any reference to any other Halo. I guess it is 4 years after the events of Halo 3 but I hope 343 have some methods of getting the story out to us in the near future. My only problem is why couldn't they just put that all in the game? The campaign in the other games had some sort of direction and played a good addition to the Halo storyline. This though... The campaign feels completely random and out of line.

I don't know how you managed to come to this conclusion, but I'm pretty sure everything was explained. The Didact is a forerunner, you don't need to know any more than that. The promethean knights were also said to be the natives to the planet. I thought you had played from Halo 1, if 343 had made that would you be saying 'Where the hell did the flood come from? Who the **** is the "Gravemind"?'? I doubt it.

Next for the multiplayer... When I first played Halo 4's "War Games" it seemed like Halo 3 again, but this time, far too over-done. And not only has it been over-done, it's not really that fun anymore, all the maps are fairly basic, there are barely any playlists and various gamemodes, and Halo 4 is now catered towards MLG try-hards. 343 even confessed this, but I thought Halo was all about "f**k realism, it's all about fun!"?. It has had improvements compared to Halo Reach (lack of armour lock FTW) but that doesn't particularly mean it's great. Also, what the heck is the point in "Infinity War Games"? Why the hell does multiplayer need some sort of story to it now? Just for realism? Well it pulls away from the fun of Halo!

I agree with you, the maps do feel very basic and there are very few gamemodes. But that's as far as I will agree with you because everything is brillliantly balanced, the power weapons are powerful, the medium range weapons are actually medium range unlike in 3. Halo 3's multiplayer wasn't as good as 2's, but Reach's was the best by far until Halo 4 which takes everything that is good and makes it better.

In addition to multiplayer, the custom games are actually kinda terrible. Remember the days when all we played was Infection on Halo 3? No matter what map, no matter what crazy setups there were, we always played infection because it was just so damn fun. In Halo 4 they gave the infected unique player models, which is honestly pretty cool, but here is the MAJOR problem with infection in Halo 4: The customisation. What the f**k happened to it? You can't even change the Infected's loadouts! Infection is basically the reason custom games in Halo 3 were SO popular. Infection in Halo 4 has now been dramatically watered down. You can't even use weapons on the map anymore, let alone change the colour of the human players! I assume this is all because it's ****ty "Infinity War Games s00pah srs re4listik xdddd" now.

Hopefully (with another pressure from the community) they'll release an update to the game type to allow us to do this. It is frustrating and they should have stayed with Reach's game types at least (Race, anyone?)

I think the only thing that didn't fail too much in this game is Forge, but it didn't really improve much if at all from Halo Reach. (no Forge World... why. just f**king why.)

Yeah, that sucks.

Overall, my opinion on Halo 4: Not far off of a total failure. On its own it's a great game to play, but as a Halo... Uck, no. For now I will stick to playing mediocre "War Games" just to unlock the EOD armour (of all the armour permutations in this game, EOD is one of the only decent looking ones) and then I have no idea after that. I've been a fan of Halo since the first one, and now I am extremely skeptical about following on with the series.

People said that about Halo 3, and Halo: Reach, and I'm sure you'll agree they are classics now.

Bungie... please come back :(

No thank you. They did a great job with Halo 2 and 3, I didn't really like CE to be honest (it felt so unfinished), and Reach's multiplayer was the best experience I have had to date. However, Reach's campaign was the worst above ODST's. It is nowhere near the quality of Halo 4, and I hope that 343 can bring Halo 4's multiplayer up to the high level of standard that Reach's multiplayer was at.

• Like 1

I'm not too sure why, but playing the campaign felt like watching weird fantasy anime stuff... To me it was all just random and even if the Prometheans do make sense, they're still a pretty lame enemy to fight. I miss the flood :( Tbh I liked it when the forerunner were really mysterious and nothing about them was really known, but Halo 4 seemed to transition to that way too quickly, I just thought the campaign had pretty repetitive gameplay with a random story to go with it... I don't read the books, but do the books even go as far as Halo 4? I heard the furthest the books go up to is Halo 2.

I'll have to say it's an improvement from Reach in some areas, but has elements which aren't as good as Reach's too.

Thanks for the comments guys! :)

Seems alot of people have no familiarity with the expanded universe at all and barely seem to pay attention to the force fed exposition in the game itself. If you don't understand the story and don't want to read the books, well then that's too bad for you.

• Like 3

Yes, the novels explain everything.I applaud 343i for trying to get people more into the expanded universe,you should read halo nation wiki or read Greg Bears novels, a new one called Silentium is about to come out and according to 343i it wasn't released before the game because it explained too much of the Halo 4 storyline and spoiled it.Maybe start there? I do agree with you about the MP,but they are going to make alot of updates to it which i think is going to fix most of the issues fans have.

• Like 2

I should lock all these people who don't have a clue about the campaign's story in a room with my Ship Master Xzan Jar Tamas.

Then maybe you could properly critic the campaign after you understand what's going on.

Any who 343 did a good job on the story, a splendid job on the multi player (of course it needs some minor tweaks but patience is a virtue), and Im interested to see how Halo 5 will continue this.

At the end of the day , it was 343s first go at a game , never minded halo 4. It was a huge project to take on , they may not have nailed it but they did a good enough job to warrant two more games , like anything they will learn from there mistakes and constructive criticism not mindless ranting and abusive writing.

Let's give 343 a chance to show that this is the start of something beautiful and we will be saying come 2016 that halo 6 was the best halo ever. To which we will be awaiting the arrival of halo 7 ;) (I wish)

• Like 1

Ok, all the problems with Halo's lack of playlist variety can be FIXED! They added swat this week, give them time more playlist will come. Halo 4 is a amazing game with great mechanics, nothing is mechanically wrong with the game that can't be fixed with updates..

Unfortunately a game is a sum of its products. I agree the mechanics are wonderful, but the playlists don't just lack variety, they suck very badly, along with almost all the maps.

I'm not too sure why, but playing the campaign felt like watching weird fantasy anime stuff... To me it was all just random and even if the Prometheans do make sense, they're still a pretty lame enemy to fight. I miss the flood :( Tbh I liked it when the forerunner were really mysterious and nothing about them was really known, but Halo 4 seemed to transition to that way too quickly, I just thought the campaign had pretty repetitive gameplay with a random story to go with it... I don't read the books, but do the books even go as far as Halo 4? I heard the furthest the books go up to is Halo 2.

I'll have to say it's an improvement from Reach in some areas, but has elements which aren't as good as Reach's too.

Thanks for the comments guys! :)

they are a pretty lame enemy to fight? what are you talking about, you must of been playing on easy try it on heroic

Even Halo 3 terminals make reference to the Librarian and the Didact. Halo 4 itself explains who the Promethians are and their origin during a cutscene... one of the most important cutscenes in the game. The idea of Chief being a "reclaimer" and what that means has been hinted at in virtually every previous game in some form. Much more detail can be found in Halo 4's terminals.

Just because the game (and the other games) doesn't spell it out point blank at all times, doesn't mean the answers you seek aren't there. And as others have said, while not strictly necessary, the novels do fill in A LOT of the blanks as well.

Its all explained in the novels and alluded to scarcely in other games.

The Didact was a war Commander (Which The word Didact roughly translates to) who was leader of the Forerunners during the Forerunner Human War. After winning the war (Albeit not by much) he unleashed the composer, which vanquished most of the resistance, and turned the Ancient Humans into Prometheans. In Halo 4 he is awakened by Chief (Inexplicably) and wants to finish the job, and stop the "Reclamation process". Read the books if you want to know more. Those are baseless arguments to make throughout the entire OP when you aren't familiar with the lore and that the MP is in its early stages with multiple playlist update/balance changes to come.

• Like 1

I love all the negativity on this forum, y'know why? 'Cause it's the only damn place where this any. Everyone else is raving about the game! Let's hope to Christ that potential buyers don't come here for a referral.

Hopefully they will be gone soon and we can continue on with our real discussions.

• Like 1

I love all the negativity on this forum, y'know why? 'Cause it's the only damn place where this any. Everyone else is raving about the game! Let's hope to Christ that potential buyers don't come here for a referral.

100% Wrong.

Large parts of very large communities are upset with this game, if you genuinely believe that these forums are the only place where Halo 4 hate exists?

Then you my good sir, are the definition of ignorance.

To me the first stage felt like Bungie created it, as it played well great sound, great battle.....but after that I have no idea what happened it just fell apart after that point. Graphics didnt match sound track...id step in the water and the audio would not sync up. Short levels, weak AI, nothing memorable in the whole game except for the final stage but not for any good reasons. That was beyond lame all the platforms were exactly the same....run here, push that.....run to another platform activate.....repeat again and again then the biggest let down of all.