The Shutdown of the H3 Sever

ProCraft

I have heard from multiple people over XboxLive that they will be shutting down the Halo 3 Server as soon as Halo 4 comes out. I don't know if this is true or not (I hope not). But if it is shutdown would people still be able to play custom games with friends and co-op campaign or no.

• Like 1

I'm gonna be so frickin mad if they do! in alot of ways halo 3 was one of the most special games i have ever played. it had everything: a badass main character, good multiplayer, and amazing campaign! it was also the first M rated games i ever played and that was special! and just knowing that it still has multiplayer is awsome but if thats taken away then that will be a really dark day for me....

• Like 1

They can't shut down the servers for Halo 3, they run on the same servers as every other game, the original xbox servers where shutdown because people hardly played them anymore, they won't shut down until like 5 or 6 years from now

• Like 1

I'm gonna be so frickin mad if they do! in alot of ways halo 3 was one of the most special games i have ever played. it had everything: a badass main character, good multiplayer, and amazing campaign! it was also the first M rated games i ever played and that was special! and just knowing that it still has multiplayer is awsome but if thats taken away then that will be a really dark day for me....

I 100% agree with you but, so did halo 2 if you remember. We can only hope and pray that they don't take away the last remaining shards of bungie from halo. (ps. I love your sig)

People Halo 3's servers are having difficulties but you have to understand Halo 2's servers were shut down because ALL Original Xbox Live servers were being shut down due to it being so old. Halo 3's or should I say all of Xbox 360's servers won't be shut down until it gets outdated 5-7 years from now.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think they'll be shut down until a while after the 720 comes out. OXB wasn't shut down until after the 360 was around a while. We're good until at least the release of the 720.

Exactly right, the Halo 3 servers wont be shut down untill well after the 720 comes out. The only reason they shut down the Halo 2 servers was because it wasnt viable to have them both running, especially with the lack of interest in Halo 2 after the 360/H3 was released. Besides H3 still has a fairly decent population still even if they are all boosters/derankers. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

3 along with 4 will be shut down a few years after the 720 is released. Look how long halo 2 was up for and the only reason that was shut down was because original xbox live was stopped. No need to worry. Anyway the servers still get around 40,000 at peak times so i don't think they will.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually haven't heard of any such thing, however that doesn't meen it won't happen. I agree with many other players here, Halo 3 was an iconic game for Xbox 360 and it would be rather sad to see it shut down. I admit that I do not play it much anymore, but I am well aware of a rather strong community who continues to enjoy the game. I really hope 343 does not go the way of EA, simply shutting down all their servers the second there isn't much traffic, thus eliminating the possibility of a revival for sed game.

First off, they don't just shut them down because of low traffic. The decision to shut down a server comes from not wanting to fragment the community over 3 different Halo titles. Halo 2 was shutdown because Reach was coming, and because halo 2 had been ported over to PC, opening the doors for self hosted servers. If and when Halo 3 gets shutdown, you'll know ahead of time, and it will be for a good reason...not just because they want to. All games move on evolve and the same can be said for dedicated server support. It is only natural that Halo 3 comes down at some point in time.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

They can't shut down the servers for Halo 3, they run on the same servers as every other game, the original xbox servers where shutdown because people hardly played them anymore, they won't shut down until like 5 or 6 years from now

You will probably find that a bunch of physical servers are networked together to create a larger one, within that heaps of virtual servers, within that the back end for a game. They only need to close down the virtual server for Halo 3 and replace it with a newer one for a new game.

I actually haven't heard of any such thing, however that doesn't meen it won't happen. I agree with many other players here, Halo 3 was an iconic game for Xbox 360 and it would be rather sad to see it shut down. I admit that I do not play it much anymore, but I am well aware of a rather strong community who continues to enjoy the game. I really hope 343 does not go the way of EA, simply shutting down all their servers the second there isn't much traffic, thus eliminating the possibility of a revival for sed game.

It is upto Microsoft to manage the server

There is no real need for the back-end to stay online as most people are spending most of their time playing a newer game, the majority will not notice it gone.