Robius5991

Intro:

Hello 343iCF, I'm here once again today to share with you all a map that I've been keeping under my cap for a few weeks. As most of you know, I'd imagine, TheHaloForgeEpidemic had announced their first contest about... I would say almost five weeks ago... and it's goal was to find the best map made to fit the gametype [PB] Purple Bunker. Well, since the two week submission period has already passed and it's been nearly three weeks since, I've grown a little restless of waiting for the video that will announce the winners of the contest, so therefore, I have come to the decision to reveal my map before the contest ends. So, I'll get right to it then!

Gamertag: Robius5991

Map: [PB] Assassin's Creed

Gametype: [PB] Purple Bunker

The map ([PB] Assassin's Creed):

Before I start the description, I would like to give you guys a little backstory to explain my choice in theme. When Oakley opened the contest, I had a few ideas in mind, such as Star Wars or LOTR, however my hopes were dashed when I heard him mention these themes, since I knew there would definitely be a few other people following those themes. Therefore, with my main ideas taken, I was trying to come up with something original, that no other players would think of making. That's when it dawned on me to make the map as an Assassin's Creed theme. I knew it would be challenging to convey such a theme, but I hope that when you all see my pictures and descriptions, you'll be able to notice the specific areas created. Starting here, there are spoilers to all Assassin's Creed games mentioned, if you don't want anything ruined, skip all the writing up to the conclusion.

To begin, as you all should know, every Purple Bunker map is broken in three areas. I decided to theme each after a different Assassin's Creed game. You'll notice in the pictures that I also tried to slip in some easter eggs within each phase.

-My first phase takes place in the context of Assassin's Creed 1. In the year 1191, within the deserts of Syria, Altair Ibn-La'Ahad is sent after who I think was his fourth target, Abu'l Nuquod, also known as the Merchant King of Damascus. For any other fans of the series, perhaps you'll remember how the mission makes you walk into his palace, where he is seen on his balcony, addressing his crowd as they drink from a wine fountain. Soon after, the wine is revealed to be poison and chaos breaks out. In my map, the Elites represent Altair as they charge their way up the rather open plaza, with only the fountain and some pillars (certain ones broken) to work their way up. The defenders (Abu'l Nuqoud's Bodyguards) are on three separate balconies, giving them each different angles to attack. The center position has the widest angle, and the most direct, however they cannot see directly below them. Therefore, the task of knocking people out of the capture zone falls to the players in the angled balconies, who can fire into that area.

-My second phase takes place in the context of Assassin's Creed 2. In the year 1486, on the docks of Venice, Italy, following the events of Il Carnevale, Ezio Auditore da Firenze begins his march towards Marco Barbarigo, the Doge of Venice. I had to change quite a few aspects of this map to make it more playable, but the theme remains. As in the game, Marco and his bodyguards (defenders) are found on a Venetian Warship, at the back of the docks. The Elites (attackers) represent Ezio, as they must push forward. This is the hardest phase because the players must cross a canal, which will kill them if they fall inside. They have three options, either they climb a ladder to a tower and cross a clothes-line (fasted way - but easy to be knocked off of), they may cross a plank of woof (a little further - but wider than the clothes-line), or they can use the large bridge (farthest away - offers the best cover). Once they get past the canal, players can use crates as cover to protect themselves as they try to take the ship. Defenders are all grouped together here are placed where the cannons would be found in a warship.

-My third, and final phase, is in the context of the upcoming game, Assassin's Creed 3. In the year 1775, within the wilds of the frontier, near Bunker Hill, in the land that will eventually be known as the United-States, Connor Kenway, under the orders of General Israel Putnam, is sent to kill the British marine John Pitcairn. The defenders (British forces) are held up in a bunker, uphill from the defenders (Americans) position. The Elites spawn near a few graves and the fallen flag of the Thirteen Colonies, while the Spartans fire from their flag-adorned bunker, with a limited view of the attackers. The attackers may use a cave, two hill pathways or a small rock formation to move up, while the defenders must use communication to hold them at bay. I know this game has yet to come out, but I tried to give the natural feel the trailers portrayed when I built this map.

The gametype ([PB] Purple Bunker):

As I've said before, the gametype is not my own, but I feel it my duty to explain it, should there be any players who have not heard of this before. The original version of Purple Bunker was created by Mr Pokephile on Halo 3, however, it was with the help of Oakley Hidef that it was adapted and brought over to Halo: Reach. The way it works is that in every scenario, the defenders (Spartans) are given Concussion Rifles and Needlers. They will always find themselves on an elevated structure and it is their job to push the Elites (attackers) who are invincible, away from the objective. On that topic, the objective is always territories. The Elites are forced to walk extremely slow, but as I've said, are invulnerable to damage. They have swords, but cannot use them. Their sole goal is to reach the territories and to hold them for what I believe is 5 seconds. Each phase lasts 2 minutes, so a full round will never go over 6 minutes, therefore a full game cannot be more than 12 minutes. With that all explained, I'll give you guys an average on how long it took to finish each of my phases:

Phase #1 (Damascus): 1:00 minute - 1:20 minutes

Phase #2 (Venice): 1:30 minutes - 1:58 minutes

Phase #3 (Bunker Hill): 1:00 minute - 1:30 minutes

Screenshots:

Finally, onto the pictures. I apologise for the length of my text, but I just love to write on the forums and share all the information I can about my maps.

PHASE #1 (DAMASCUS):

PB1_zps1fe46b97.jpg

Here is the view from the Elites' initial spawn. I tried to come up with one original construct for each phase, so for this one, it was the muslim-architecture tower with the pointed top.

PB3_zps07d4b010.jpg

Here we can see the small garden-adorned fountain along with the large entry-gate, which was shut when the killing began.

PB2_zps12501f31.jpg

This is a small overview of this phase - do not pay attention to the pieces sticking out from the side, players do not see them from their points of view.

PB6_zps4d358b76.jpg

The triple position of the defenders offers them varied angles with which to attack. We also see in the back part of the Castle.

PB4_zps0b58e61b.jpg

An angle from the central balcony.

PB5_zps9f4936ce.jpg

A stated above, I have an easter egg in each map. They are a small leap-of-faith area, with a custom built "eagle" on each one. The one on this phase is found at the top of the castle, overlooking the battle.

PHASE #2 (VENICE):

PB10_zps5ac14215.jpg

An overview of the Venice phase, the attackers spawning in the far back, while the defenders spawn inside the Warship.

PB8_zps5bbe12f6.jpg

This angle shows the three different options to cross the canal, from closest to furthest they are: the clothes-line, the plank of wood and the bridge.

PB9_zpsc0e5c4ca.jpg

Another easter egg added was the Assassin's symbol, found on the side of the cathedral. It also has the small skull-switch that Ezio would pull, opening a man-hole beneath him and allowing him to enter the catacombs below. (purely aesthetic)

PB12_zps8aef2b8f.jpg

The Venetian Warship was my original construct for this map. I will admit, it was very hard to build.

PB7_zpsc609047d.jpg

From within the defenders fire their shots like cannon-balls.

PB11_zpsc9b6a5d4.jpg

Once again we find an eagle overviewing the battle, but this time it is hidden on the Cathedral.

PHASE #3 (BUNKER HILL):

PB14_zps9dd11b22.jpg

An overview of the uphill battle the attackers face.

PB16_zps38715ec2.jpg

The Elites begin at the bottom of the hill, near the graves of their fallen comrades.

PB15_zps5bf992ec.jpg

Behind them lies my next original construct, the broken-down flag of the Thirteen Colonies.

PB17_zpsd5827e6c.jpg

Battling their way uphill, the Elites had multiple options with which to reach their dual-objectives.

PB13_zpsd38a9125.jpg

The British Bunker houses my last original construct, the Union-Jack flag, used to represent England's control.

PB18_zps8ed3b33c.jpg

Finally, atop a rock formation, we find the final eagle, my last homage to my favourite video game series.

Conclusion:

Well, I've reach the end of what I believe has been my longest thread on this forum. For those of you who found my rambling boring, I apologise, but I've got to say that I really love getting to share my creations with all of you. Thank you all for reading and I hope that you'll all enjoy playing this as much as we did while testing it. Also, if you think I deserve it please wish me luck in the contest, the anticipation is killing me! Thank you for your time and consideration 343iCF users!

post-30271-0-18430800-1348342763_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Omg... thank you both so much. I can't believe that you both like my map so much. Spectral Jester, I've got to say that I'm thrilled to have a Moderator as the first person to comment on my map. And Azaxx, although I don't know your actual forum rank, I am aware your own "award" and are a well known member, so your absolutely touching comment meens all the more to me. Thank you both so much for your support, it really meens a lot to me! :)

• Like 1

Beautiful map Robius! Love the attention to detail. Definitely captures the AC feel, lol! Already sent to xbox to be downloaded upon signing in to Reach. :thumbsup:

Wow, thanks Choot'em! I'm really glad you liked it and that you noticed all the details I put in. It was rather labouring to make, but I'm very happy with the finished product. Thank you for the download!

Lol. When I was sizing up all the competition I looked at this one. It was pretty cool. Nice work my friend. :thumbsup:

Thanks CooliestRap for taking the time to check out my map. I'm glad you liked it and I'm very excited for the end of the [PB] contest... I hope it will be soon!

• Like 2

Very impressive work, Rob! Really like those small Easter Eggs / references.

Thanks Chewin3, I'm really happy you liked my map. I thought any Assassin's Creed fan would appreciate the little Easter Eggs!

Wow... such nice craftsmanship. I like it and will download it immediately when I get the chance. It looks very much like Assassin's creed.

I'd love to see more of these. I hope you make more. :D

TYVM Vinyl, I really did try to keep the true Assassin's Creed aspect to the map, while still implementing the Purple Bunker functions to it. Tell me what you think once you've finished testing it :)

Simply EPIC!

Lol, Thanks again Erco 'Zjadee for checking out another of my maps. I'm so happy you like it!

wow what a map you can tell you put alot of hard work into this because of the way it looks and how much pics you have showing every part of the map and you talked alot befor it telling ppl about the map and how it works 10/10 from me

Yeah CJAY-4415, it took quite a while to build but I'm very proud of the final product. I also tend to overwrite when I explain my maps, but I really do like to share the backstory behind everything. Thanks so much for the 10/10 rating!

cool

Thanks dude!

Looks purely amazing Robius. I love the flags the most along with the first area design.

Thank you so much DoctorB77. It really means a lot to have our MoM comment on my map and say that you like it so much. I really appreciate the support!

Man, that map looks sweet. I don't really have any critique for this as it's really good. The only thing that seems weird to me though is the final Bunker, where the hill is really steep on the right side. I'm guessing that this is intentional, but won't the concussion rifle make it hard to reach the goal if they're being pushed to the right? Other than that, great concept and great map!

• Like 1

Man, that map looks sweet. I don't really have any critique for this as it's really good. The only thing that seems weird to me though is the final Bunker, where the hill is really steep on the right side. I'm guessing that this is intentional, but won't the concussion rifle make it hard to reach the goal if they're being pushed to the right? Other than that, great concept and great map!

Thanks Ventus, I'm glad you like it. As for your thoughts on the final Bunker, I agree that originally I thought it might be a small problem, however following testing I learned the contrary. The Elites have a decent amount of cover and, if they either group themselves together (making it hard to be pushed far back) or spread themselves thin (to spread the Spartan fire out and make them less potent) they can usually capture the final post. The hardest phase, without a question is the second one, lol. Anyways, thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you like the map concept!

a impresive map

Thanks, I'm glad that you like it.

It looks like you put alot of time and detail into this great AC themed map. It's nice to see another Assassin's Creed and Halo fan :) Really nice map!! Are you pre-ordering any of the one new games? Or both of them?

Thank you so much for the great compliment, I really did try to implement as much detail as I could into the map. And, to answer your question yes, I have pre-ordered both Assassin's Creed 3 and Halo 4 and hope to play both as much as I can!

It looks great Robius. Please remake it for Halo 4 as I can't play it now xD

I'll see what I can do Darkness. To be honest, it never came to mind to rebuild this particular map in Halo 4, but if there's enough demand for it, and THFE tries to bring it to Halo 4 aswell, i will push it up my priority list. Thanks for the cool idea and I'm really happy you liked the map!