Tanker

Robius5991

Intro:

Hey everybody, I am here today on 343industries.org to show you guys one of my maps. Keep in mind that I have made other maps in the past, but I believe this to be the one I would like to begin my foray into the forum with. If you like what you see, you can look me up on ForgeHub (with the same name-gamertag) to see my past projects. Anyways, I'll get to the description and I hope that you all enjoy!

Gamertag: Robius5991

Map: Tanker

Gametype: Flying Fish

The map (Tanker):

To begin, I'll explain that "Tanker" is built as a Holdout-survival Infection map. The shape of the ship makes for a pretty thin map layout, but the multi-leveled terrain allows for a mixed combat experience. The large piping in the middle of the ship (representative of the pipes in which the oil would flow) allows for some evasive manoeuvring on the humans' part and the arrangement of crates are used as line-of-sight breakers. The main structure (The Control Tower) might be seen as the ideal holdout-area, but multiple entry points make it very difficult to secure against the infected. An overview of the Tanker will show that the ship is crashed into some rocks and that certain areas have been destroyed by the zombies. A small array of weapons can be found on the map which also offers the survivors different ways of holding out. If you would like to hear my backstory behind the map, feel free to read it below, if not, you can continue to gametype description,

[back Story]: Following a quick and unexpected Covenant attack on an ONI base, the officers tried to evacuate everyone from the facility in any naval vessels available. The majority of the ships were sunk by the Covenant Banshees, but one tanker managed to escape. In their frenzied race to survive, the navigators miss-judged their course and brought the ship to a rocky waterway. With no hope of turning around, they tried to make it through but crashed. The sharp stop, caused by the crash, threw many men overboard where they quickly came in contact with the liquid, now pouring from the ship. Instead of carrying oil, this tanker had been in the process of discarding dangerous nuclear liquids when it was commandeered for the escape. Now, the men thrown overboard are mutating. They turn blue and gain the ability to launch themselves out of the water, with the sole goal of killing the remaining crewmen.

The gametype (Flying Fish):

Now I'm going to make you wish that you would have read the back story... Anyways, the name says it all... kind of. The infected will always initially spawn on some of the rocks outside the ship (10 second soft kill boundary) but may later respawn on various points of the ship aswell as the rocks. As the name suggests, the infected have a higher jump height. I heard from testers that the addition of height added a mixed feel to the game and added to the flow of combat. Besides this adjustement, the game plays like regular infection, except for the fact that humans spawn with Assault Rifles. They must search for additional weapons if they want them and as usual, the last man standing receives the regular overshield addition.

Recommended Players: 6-16 players

Screenshots:

Here I'll be giving you plenty of Screenshots and a small description of each to give you a good idea of the map. Keep in mind that there have been updates since these pictures were taken and so any changes will be mention below with an **Edit** side note.

Tanker2.jpg

This is the initial loadout camera, which shows a wide view of the Tanker.

Tanker1.jpg

An example of the "Flying Fish" initial spawn.

Tanker3.jpg

Another example of a "Flying Fish" spawn (There are plenty around the ship).

Tanker18.jpg

The front of the Tanker (The Shotgun spawn being on the light fixture).

tanker16.jpg

One of the human spawns (there are three) at the forward command post.

tanker14.jpg

Some of the humans holding out at the oil-unloading pipes.

Tanker9.jpg

One of the two inaccessible cranes on the ship. Also, the pipes are green as to show the nuclear liquid within.

Tanker13.jpg

Both cranes have magnets on their base, to hold the crates. However, they are now holding weapons (don't worry, they're not fixed/phased).

Tanker4.jpg

The main door of the control room, which leads to a ramp and crate-filled wall. Pay attention to the player punching the crate in the back.

Tanker12.jpg

Once you punch the crate out of the way, it leads to a delayed weapon-stash with two power weapons and grenades. This area is a 10 second soft-kill, to avoid camping. To truly get access to this, players must protect "the puncher" while he opens the stash.

Tanker11.jpg

A view of the ramp that leads up to the top of the Control Tower.

Tanker5.jpg

A quick view of the Tanker's multitude of control panels.

Tanker10.jpg

This destroyed wall allows the infected a second entry to the tower, via the rear of the ship.

Tanker6.jpg

In this corner, we can see on of the destroyed panels with all its bent buttons and above it is the broken air-vent. **Edit**: (There are now one-way shield doors blocking the vents so the humans cannot jump in from the control room)

tanker7.jpg

A different view of the control room with the second destroyed air-vent opening. **Edit**: (This air-vent also has a shield door - to avoid human access)

Tanker17.jpg

A small glimpse of the rear of the ship with a small elevator leading to the chimney and destroyed wall behind it.

Tanker15.jpg

The open window above offers a third opening for the infected into the control tower and the empty duct (which the zombie is running for) allows for access to the two broken air vents. **Edit**: (The roof is inaccessible to humans.)

Tanker19.jpg

A view of a zombie about to go through an air-vent, into the control room. **Edit**: (As I've said, there are now shield doors which both keep the humans out of the vents and now launch the infected into the control room.)

I would like to say that from the feedback I got while testing, that the map was rather well enjoyed and offered a nice twisted on the regular infected gametypes, without changing too much. We did not see the humans hold out until the end, however they did get within the last 10 seconds a few times.

Weapons List:

Shotgun: 2

Grenade Launcher: 1

Magnum: 2

Assault Rifle: 4

Grenades: Quite a few

Conclusion:

Well, that's all I have to show you for my overview of "Tanker". This was only my second infection map, but I hope that you all enjoy it as much as we did in Custom games.

I will be adding a link to a video of the game once we get the chance to post it. Thank you all for your time!

post-30271-0-33752600-1346548544_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice map! It seems large. My only sugestion would be to add like smaller crates to provide a little more cover. And it would fill some areas that seem plain. Overall it plays well. Good Job.

Thanks dude. It seems to me that threads been almost dead for a while, so I guess I should thank you for reviving it! As for the crates, I am all out of money (or almost) but I need to ask, when you played it, did you use the proper gametype? Because with the enhanced jump height, the map is usually rather well balanced out (although that was my experience in the lobbies) I can take a look though, to see if certain parts may be removed for the sake of adding additional cover. But to be honest, he had some pretty great human-players and they almost never held out to the end.

• Like 1

Thanks dude. It seems to me that threads been almost dead for a while, so I guess I should thank you for reviving it! As for the crates, I am all out of money (or almost) but I need to ask, when you played it, did you use the proper gametype? Because with the enhanced jump height, the map is usually rather well balanced out (although that was my experience in the lobbies) I can take a look though, to see if certain parts may be removed for the sake of adding additional cover. But to be honest, he had some pretty great human-players and they almost never held out to the end.

Yea no ones been typing in the threads for quite some time. But yes I did use the gametype, and now that I think about it; I played a full lobby with really good players so it was a half and half situation. So it's good as it is if you don't really have the budget to fix anything. And when I meant, to like add crates. I meant to like have a different variety of crates. Like you used bridges I believe for crates, the same size(height, length, width, etc.), but you should have some kind of variety, is all I'm saying. It just feels like its getting repeated. So that's all I have to say, you can attempt to make the change if you'd like, but it's just a suggestion. Alright well maybe I'll see you in some Halo game some time. Peace!

Yea no ones been typing in the threads for quite some time. But yes I did use the gametype, and now that I think about it; I played a full lobby with really good players so it was a half and half situation. So it's good as it is if you don't really have the budget to fix anything. And when I meant, to like add crates. I meant to like have a different variety of crates. Like you used bridges I believe for crates, the same size(height, length, width, etc.), but you should have some kind of variety, is all I'm saying. It just feels like its getting repeated. So that's all I have to say, you can attempt to make the change if you'd like, but it's just a suggestion. Alright well maybe I'll see you in some Halo game some time. Peace!

Cool, I'm glad you were able to fully experience the map with the proper gametype. I'm sorry that I didn't totally get your box emeple earlier, but i see what you mean. Chances are I won't be able to change anything in this map, but I'll keep it in mind for future maps (probably on Halo 4). Anyways, thanks again for your support and feedback, it's always appreciated! :)

• Like 1

Awesome map,You are really good with forge.

Lol, thanks a lot! I appreciate the support!

Just played it this morning and man this map was awsome. Can u link me more of your maps

Lol, glad you liked it. Here's a small portfolio of other maps I've done that are posted here on this forum (however, there are more that I haven't gotten around to transfering from ForgeHub) Anyways, these are the main ones from this forum:

-Skyrim: Fort Dawnguard

-LOTR: Minas Tirith

-[PB] Assassin's Creed

-Predatorial Grounds: Guatemala

-Into the Sarlacc

Anyways, if you want to see the others, I have links to all my maps on this youtube channel. You'll find each link on the right side bar - They all have ForgeHub written in front of them - (feel free to ignore the videos - this was just my personnal account channel but within a few days I'll be posting on my new channel). Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/user/robius5991

• Like 1