Into the Sarlacc

Robius5991

Intro:

Hey 343iCF and THFE members, I am here today to submit one of my newest maps. Keep in mind that this is a cooperatively made map, created by myself (Robius5991) and my friend (HI IM N1CK), the map being found on his fileshare. This is technically our first foray into the mini-game section of forging - if you don't count our submissions for the [PB] THFE Contest (which, btw, you can see in the regular "Forge Maps - Mini-games" section of the forum) but I digress. So, with that last bit of information, let's get on to the map!

Gamertags: Robius5991 and HI IM N1CK

Map: Into the Sarlacc

Gametype: Jabba's Arena

The map (Into the Sarlacc):

When we thought up this concept, we were basically just screwing around in Forge World and ended up creating a little machine that would launch you straight down into the ocean, thus killing you, if you got too close. I don't quite remember how we got on the topic of Star Wars, but the Sarlacc Pit idea came into our heads and we soon began reverting the map into that. The map itself is built into a circular area, a few feet inside the Sarlacc (past its fangs). The entire middle is a hole, in which the Sarlacc's mouth and tentacles stick out. This hole is covered by a shield door which will suck the players into a kill-zone (the Sarlacc's insides). Players can climb certain tentacles, to get a better view, but are usually far more vulnerable at that height. It is impossible to exit the map, thanks to boundary placement. Also, outside the Sarlacc, purely as aesthetic features, we have a small Skiff (like the one Luke Skywalker was going to be thrown off of) and we have Jabba the Hutt's large hovering sail ship.

The gametype (Jabba's Arena):

I'll be honest, for a mini-game, this is as simple as it gets. Each player has a concussion rifle and slightly enhanced speed. Everyone has 2000% damage resistance and are immuned to headshots and assassinations, thus making it extremely hard to kill them with weapons. Knowing this, here's how the gametype works. Everyone spawns only a few feet from each other within the arena. The easiest (and pretty much the point-of-the-game-related) way to kill each other, is to use your concussion rifles to knock each other into the pit. The more players, the more chaotic it becomes. As I've said, we know this is a simple concept for a mini-game, but we believe this brings players back to simple days of Halo: Reach, were you really don't need to think too much to have a ton of fun. Some people would team up, others would angle their shots into a specific way that they thought was better, but it seems that during testing, everyone had their own way of going about to win. I should also mention that suicides do not cost you points. Also, the reasoning for 2000% damage resistance instead of invulnerability is to allow the players who knock down the other to receive a point for it. The score goes up to 25 and there is a 10 minute maximum.

Recommended Players: 4-16 players

Screenshots:

Alright, here's my favourite part of posting on the forums, the pictures. Please keep in mind that with the FX we used and the general look of rocks in pictures, you will see lines in the pictures, but these do not appear in game.

sw1_zps6883ec76.jpg

A huge overview of the pit and ship (also the initial spawn camera).

sw2_zps232ece17.jpg

Here is the Skiff, circling the pit, waiting to drop off more victims for Jabba's amusement (purely aesthetic).

sw3_zps8377a8a7.jpg

Jabba's sail ship dominates the other side of the pit as the violent Hutt watches his gladiators battle to the death.

sw4_zps113eb3b4.jpg

This is a closer view of the pit, showing the Sarlacc's tentacles and its beak.

sw7_zps784b6527.jpg

Looking into the sky, players will see Tatooine's multiple suns, glaring down over the battlefield.

sw19_zpse6657d23.jpg

As I said, utter chaos dominates the playing field during every game.

sw5_zpsaee1c201.jpg

The concussion rifles, with our FX combination, makes for some pretty awesome battle with some epic colouring.

sw6_zpsf3a86235.jpg

An exemple of a player pushing another into the Sarlacc Pit.

sw8_zps40f54920.jpg

The confetti in the crack shows another player falling to the cruelty of the Sarlacc.

sw9_zpsba5750b7.jpg

The angle inside the Sarlacc, showing another poor soul falling to his death.

sw10_zps1963b02a.jpg

If you look closely you'll see a player falling into the beak of the Sarlacc.

sw11_zps7243fabb.jpg

This picture demonstrates how, when enough Concussion rounds are fired, it causes a flash of intense colouring.

sw12_zps92653a11.jpg

The impact between Concussion rounds and rock causes spreads of smoke. Also, you can try to steal an enemy's kill by hitting his target a few times before he falls into the pit.

sw13_zps1868dfa0.jpg

A similar instance of an attempted kill-steal.

sw14_zpsd10a7453.jpg

A smart strategy can be to bounce yourself off a tentacle to not fall in, although this does not always save you...

sw15_zps225ea028.jpg

Concussion jumping is possible, but beware to not fall into the Pit while you fly above the battlefield.

sw16_zps1bc7d127.jpg

As I mentioned above, you can stand on certain tentacles to get a better point of view, but it makes you an obvious and easy target.

sw18_zpsf94e0032.jpg

An example of a player being thrown off a tentacle.

sw17_zps9a98598c.jpg

The Sarlacc's mouth is littered with victims.

I would like to quickly add that from the feedback we got during testing, the gameplay worked very well and was a simple, yet challenging match. I want to thank all the awesome testers who gave us their time to help play this map. I'm also going to say that although it is possible to kill a player only with melee/weapons, I only saw it happen once in the entire game.

Conclusion:

That's all there is to show and say about the map and the gametype. I hope you all enjoy our first original mini-game and please be sure to check out my Purple Bunker submission: [PB] Assassin's Creed.

post-30271-0-42691600-1348423473_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Cool map guys. This looks insanely hardcore. Btw, I've got to say that these are some of the most epic screenshots I've seen!

Thank Pete, yeah, this map really does play hardcore. I'm also happy you like the screenshots, I find they happened to be a happy concidence that came to be with the FX and weapon choices we made!

cool map

Thanks dude.

Best... Star Wars... Themed... Map... Ever, of all time

But seriously, I really like the screenshots and it sounds like it has great gameplay, will have to download it sometime.

Lol, I'm glad you like it so much. We wanted go with a Star Wars theme that had never been used before, so I guess this really ended up working well. And yes, the gameplay is an absolute blast!

Lol, thanks. It actually wasn't too hard to build, but I'm glad you like it! Give it a download if it interests you so that you can test the core gameplay aspects out and see how chaotically fun it can be.

Once my TV is fully repaired I'll download this right away, I can't wait to get back in action. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think I know HI IM N1CK. He's joined the custom game lobbies alot.

I'll be sure to test this game out!

Yeah, he and I have been trying to get involved more within the gaming community by way of the forums and custom game lobbies. I'm glad you got a chance to play with him, he told me he remembered your gamertag, and we both thank you for your support of our maps through downloading! Thanks again!