A Monument to All Our Sins

Quantum

Thank you to the few who helped pre-read this. It helped alot.

11 years ago, a game was published. A game that would change the course of video game history, for the better. Microsoft and Bungie came out with a brilliant new game for the Xbox Original. It was titled, Halo: Combat Evolved. This first person shooter, timed in the future, was a success. Soon to become the most popular Xbox series, this game was played across many countries, loved by children, teenagers, and adult gamers alike. It was molded into the minds of billions and made childhoods to remember for millions. But that was just the beginning.

Halo 2 was then brought up to bat, in 2004, selling more than 6.3 million copies, and even furthering the Halo experience. Adding new weapons, vehicles, and even online Xbox Live experiences, this installment was the most brilliant game many had ever seen. This highly anticipated sequel brought even more gamers to the series, increasing the community, and making multiplayer even more fun. The campaign made more of Master Chief’s story unfold more, leaving players at a big cliff-hanger at the end, begging for more.

Even more exciting than the previous titles, Halo 3 brought in 300 million U.S.D in the first week from gamers wanting to finish the fight. It brought together everything Bungie had so far learned, into one brilliant masterpiece. It had one million people playing it over XBL in the first 20 hours. The 3rd piece to the Halo story brought incredible detail, and ended the Covenant vs Human fight in a brilliant manner. No one could really argue over any faults in the game, because it had virtually none. While the last few games had been a respectable start, Halo 3 was an awesome temporary close to Chief’s story.

With other games stuck inside the Halo Canon, the one that stuck out the most, was Halo: Reach, Bungie’s last game. It was what they always wanted Halo to be. Reach was a masterpiece that was overly critiqued, and hated on. People hated the way 343i jumped in after Bungie took their last stand. The game was massively popular at it’s launch, but has taken blows to its weak spots by cruel gamers unwilling to see it’s brilliance. Today, Halo Reach remains the most popular Multiplayer Halo Title. For now.

343 Industries also brought a 10 year anniversary edition showing us what they could do with a classic, and showing us what to expect with a whole new trilogy. Bungie started what they would continue. Word of Halo 4 spread like wildfire, until it grew out of control. Rumors were confirmed, images shown, trailers released, even a whole new music director was put on the job. We would see the Chief again. Even better than before. But we are put on dramatic pause.

We await the day our beloved series continues. It is a fire, being stoked, ever growing. The day when the Halo Universe will unite comes again. Until then, I leave you with my 1,000th post. Long live Halo, a Monument to All Our Sins.

• Like 9

BEROOTOO, BEROOTOO, BEROOTOO!

An excellent, truthful post. It has been so long since the first game and I cannot wait to see Halo evolve in the next ten years. An excellent piece of work, I will print it and frame it.

Printing is a little much, don't ya think?

And sorry to all people beyond Azaxx, I cannot like your posts, as I am at my quota limit for likes today.

This post is great. It explains a few points that I largely agree on. I really like all the Halo games and think REACH is superb. The only problem Ihave is with 343 going a little off canon I have read all the books, graphic novels and even layed all the games. I notice when something sticks out from canon. It doesn't truly bother me from a gaming point of vie though as the game itself is awesome. I play a game or two of Halo Reach almost every day. It is simply fun.

The game story is definitely seperate to the canon story in the books etc. As long as you identify that then it all makes sense. :)

• Like 1