17 Year Old Shot and Killed by Police Officer for Holding a Wii Remote

VinWarrior

Last Friday when Police arrived at 17 year old Christopher Roupe's home, he was met with gun-fire as Police shot and killed him when mistaking his Wii remote for a weapon.

When 17 year old Christopher Roupe's father violated his probation, police officers were sent to the boy's home. Upon the boy questioning who was at the door, he received no answer, but he simply opened it. a police officer mistook his Wii remote for a pistol and opened fire on him, shooting and killing the boy. Both the family and the police have been on adjacent sides in the matter, as the police said the boy was in fact carrying a pistol of some sort, BB or actual, while eyewitnesses and family dispute saying that the boy held a Wii remote. 

post-26953-0-94225800-1393214339_thumb.jpg

In response to the police allegations of the boy actually carrying a firearm, the family's lawyer had this to say, "We don't know where that statement came from, the eyewitnesses on the scene clearly state that he had a Wii controller in his hand. He heard a knock at the door. He asked who it was, there was no response so he opened the door and upon opening the door he was immediately shot in the chest."

This is the kind of thing you hate to see. Police are trained to be very cautious and are allowed to shoot on sight if they see or think they see a threat such as a weapon. The only thing I wish that more police did was shoot to incapacitate like below the knees. Only problem with that is that if it's an actual weapon, no criminal will hesitate to shoot back and if it's not then you've got this on your hands. But maybe a life saved. Sad to read but relevant world news that brings up a lot of thought. Good article Edward.

If he was in fact holding a remote it was an sad and unfortunate accident. But if he was holding something that resembled a weapon the police officer was defending himself, not to be crude but its kill or be killed, either the officer goes home to his family or the kid does. 

It very well could have been a controller and its sad that that happened. If that is the case the officer should be fired, he should be able to distinguish an oval controller from a firearm. 

An oval does not look like a firearm though. The officer should have seen the difference if in fact the kid was not holding a firearm.

I agree. Also, if the controller did in fact look like the one above then it's pretty clear from the very bright white color that this is no gun. But Yoshi I agree, that's just the way police are trained and there's no taking chances when you're out there.

• Like 1

That's freaking sad. It pains me to think the kid could have been having a kickass time right before he answered the door, and it just all ends after that. May he rest in peace :(

If he had been holding a firearm, then I really think the Officer should have just aimed, and told the kid to drop the weapon, but I don't blame them if it was just a freak reaction spasm. I've had those before, and people question why I did it, but I can never give a good reason. It just... happens.

Good article Kenway.

That's freaking sad. It pains me to think the kid could have been having a kickass time right before he answered the door, and it just all ends after that. May he rest in peace :(

If he had been holding a firearm, then I really think the Officer should have just aimed, and told the kid to drop the weapon, but I don't blame them if it was just a freak reaction spasm. I've had those before, and people question why I did it, but I can never give a good reason. It just... happens.

Good article Kenway.

Would you stop and think when there is a possible gun pointed at you though?

How stupid do you have to be to not be able to tell the difference between a handgun and a Wii remote. I don't understand. It seems with some American police officers that using a gun in small situations or even situations that don't even look threatening is always the answer, it really doesn't make any sense. It's like that time this homeless man had some sorta of schizophrenia, was holding a knife whilst threatening the officers and 5 officers shot him... at least 20 times. I DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT LOGIC! If there is an argument that the police officer was just protecting himself, then that's a huge load of it. He should've been ready but first should've been 100% that the thing the young boy was holding was a gun, but instead fires at the young boy... very poor judgement call. A WII remote looks nothing like a gun, what the actual hell.

Wow... More proof that the police are complete idiots. How blind do you have to be to not be able to tell the difference between a white remote and a pistol? It's like giving the job of an artist to a colourblind guy! This is terrible, and that policeman doesn't deserve to have this job.

I can understand why the police officer would should a individual who he thinks is carrying a weapon. But shooting him in the chest?! He could have shot him in a less lethal area of the body for sure.

How stupid do you have to be to not be able to tell the difference between a handgun and a Wii remote. I don't understand. It seems with some American police officers that using a gun in small situations or even situations that don't even look threatening is always the answer, it really doesn't make any sense. It's like that time this homeless man had some sorta of schizophrenia, was holding a knife whilst threatening the officers and 5 officers shot him... at least 20 times. I DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT LOGIC! If there is an argument that the police officer was just protecting himself, then that's a huge load of it. He should've been ready but first should've been 100% that the thing the young boy was holding was a gun, but instead fires at the young boy... very poor judgement call. A WII remote looks nothing like a gun, what the actual hell.

Again we are not sure if it was a Wii remote, for all we know it was actually a gun or a toy gun. Also we don't know what the father was on parole for, he could be aggressive so the cop was taking precautions. But if he was in fact holding a Wii remote the officer should lose his job.

Again we are not sure if it was a Wii remote, for all we know it was actually a gun or a toy gun. Also we don't know what the father was on parole for, he could be aggressive so the cop was taking precautions. But if he was in fact holding a Wii remote the officer should lose his job.

I understand where your coming from, but police tend to just lie so they can protect their fellow officer. It's all about protecting their image but they've already broken it in a way, I mean there are still a lot of good officers but there are those who just run the good cop image to the ground. If ya get me.

this proves that we need to change they way how police officers are trained since this marks stupidity and i think the police needs to go to specsavers because i know that a wii remote isnt a weapon but at the same time i feel like this article is fake since i dont know where you found this and i havent heard anything on it and i would of thought that something like this would be on the news or something

• Like 1

Why the hell are some people making jokes in this thread? It's a sad thing that happened whether it was a Wii controller or a gun that the boy was holding. And here some of you are making jokes.

Edited by Drizzy_Dan
Post with joke was deleted.