'vertical'

1]

Vertical

Gamertag: n0mnom321

Players: 2-6players MAX: 6. Best for FFA. Recommended 4 players. Best game type: swat, FFA.

http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/n0mnom321/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameMap&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=9b5d7c37-f0ee-4d4a-b485-bf0118a0bbc1

Subject to further testing.

Description

Vertical is a small competitive map for small lobbies of about 2-6 players, and, as the name suggests, has a lot of verticality to it. There are is 1 bolt-shot, 2 light rifles, 5 random drops and a railgun(the initial drop). The railgun is very powerful in this map because of it's verticality; but it is placed at the bottom of the map which is quite dangerous. However, there are many ways to get to the top and there is a lot of cover, so don't worry too much. This map is compatible with slayer, oddball, CTF, KOTH and extraction. It works best as a slayer map for rumble pit. 4 of the random drops consist of pulse grenades, damage boost, speed boost or over shield, but the one at the top of the map has a chance of dropping a scattershot, pulse grenades, damage boost, speed boost, bolt-shot, suppressor, or light rifle.

Gameplay

Although the map is very vertical, jet pack is not too powerful because of the wide movement options on the map. It is especially scary to be at the bottom of the map with the people above you as they can drop down on you any time. there are lots of cover; so the top of the map has an advantage over the bottom levels, but not so much the mid-levels, and a gravity lift shoots players from the bottom of the map straight at you, so the levels are balanced. Bottom level has weapon drops, top level has good sight-lines, and middle level has good movement options.

Aesthetics

The map looks and feels very forerunner, given the tower in the middle of the map and the glowing floor, along with the artifact bases from the forge island pallet. The map is coloured orange and cyan to signify the two sides of the map, red base is orange, and blue base is cyan. I used this instead of blue and red because it makes the map feel more forerunner.

post-64146-0-83061500-1374319789_thumb.jpgpost-64146-0-17321800-1374319828_thumb.jpgpost-64146-0-34779500-1374319912_thumb.jpgpost-64146-0-65874000-1374319879_thumb.jpgpost-64146-0-87523200-1374319992_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

With a terrific layout, my first impression is that the design could use more cover here and there, especially since the primary gametype would be FFA. Request @ gt TheBloodbath22, I'm down for a game on here to give more constructive and specific feedback. Best of luck, and great effort!

breachport? what's that?

Dude, if a map post is dying, then it's dying.

No need to beg for feedback. You just end up bumping your post unnecessarily.

i think every post  should get at least some feedback, even if it does'nt comply with the posting rules, one could just inform the poster. I get how it's kind of irritating, but feedback would help a lot.

breachport? what's that?

i think every post  should get at least some feedback, even if it does'nt comply with the posting rules, one could just inform the poster. I get how it's kind of irritating, but feedback would help a lot.

You want feedback? This is what you do. You give feedback first. Get your name out there. Play with other forgers on their maps. Join some customs.

Basically, make some friends.

If you're a forger who's just starting out or isn't really known, then chances are, some (maybe even most) of your map posts get overlooked. But if you have a lot of forger friends, then you can personally request them to comment feedback on your map.

Sometimes, you don't even have to tell them. If you've been helpful to them in their map then they would give feedback on your map without you having to request them to do so.

But if you want to maximize your chances of getting map feedback, then I suggest posting your maps in other Halo sites with map sharing. Not just here.

I suggest,

http://forgecafe.com/forums/index.php

http://www.forgehub.com/forum/forum.php

http://halocustoms.com/forum/

http://www.halocouncil.com/community/

If a map post is dying, then it's dying. Don't bump the thread. Just let it go, move on, and start anew.

breachport? what's that?

basically all of my maps have been ignored. they get views but no feedback, its annoying but i dont bump. 

personally, my screenshots and descriptions dont do my maps justice

basically all of my maps have been ignored. they get views but no feedback, its annoying but i dont bump. 

personally, my screenshots and descriptions dont do my maps justice

Like I said to the guy. Get yo a** in some customs and make some friends.

But good luck in your forging career. :)

hmm. I tried that once, but the map that the person wanted me to test took like an hour to download into my xbox, so that kinda screwed up. Anyway, ill take your advice. Thanks.

Still, if possible, can you just look at it in forge? You know, just a favor.

Very well. I'll give it a download. But don't expect it to be this easy next time, man. :)

P.S. It's IMPOSSIBLE to have a forge map download that long. Unless you have a connection worse than Wal Mart's

Alright I finally got my Xbox fixed so I was able to take a look at the map as promised.

- First of all, a lot of people (myself included) don't really like filters on competitive maps. It gets really distracting IMO. I suggest using filters in Flood maps only.

- Colors. Use them. Color-code your map. This is good for callouts and just makes the map look better.

- There are several areas in the map with long sightlines that I think could be blocked off a little.

- The blocks that you used as ramps are too steep. I suggest keeping inclines at a 30 degree angle. Some of the blocks that were used as ramps even extended to the very edge of the map. Making movement in that certain area worse.

- Don't use a grid as flooring on a competitive map. Just don't. It looks really bad IMO. And the grid you used is also causing some Z-fighting with the colisseum walls.

- You have holes in your map that players can go in. This doesn't really serve a purpose as rooms in the holes are empty, there's only one way to get in and out of them, and they just plainly look bad.

- I suggest flipping the inclines bridges upside down so that players can drop down if they wish.

- The map is square. Don't make square maps. Come up with your own unique layout/shape to make the map more interesting and to show who you are as a forger.

- You used window colisseums as walls and yet it's empty outside. I suggest that you only do this if there's something outside the map that is interesting enough to serve as aesthetics. The windows also show some parts of some pieces that overextended.

- There are bumps in the map. The kind of bumps that stop player movemet. Align these man.

- The artifact bases don't fit with the rest of the map at all. I suggest removing or replacing them.

- The aestheetics. I don't think this map even has any. If you intended for the kill balls with the satellite to act as aesthetics, they fail to fulfill that purpose. Frankly, they just make the map looks worse. It looks bad enough with the Grid floor, holes, and oddly placed pieces. Even the structure in the middle doesn't look good IMO. It looks like you just slapped on a bunch of pieces together without much thought and called it good.

- Your usage of pieces weren't very good. What could've been ramps were blocks. What could've been ramps were stairs. What could've been aesthetics were eyesores.

Overall, I'd say that this map need work. A LOT of work.

That's all I got so far. If you're still testing this map, I'd be happy to help.

GT: Zandril S312

• Like 1

I appreciate your feedback. i appreciate the time you spent to give feedback on the different flaws in the map. i will try to fix the bumps in the floor and the special effect. i also agree on the use of window coliseums as weird as there is nothing outside the map and the grid was just a waste of my budget. however, i have not found any holes in the map? i could not find any of the holes you were talking about and i like the effect the artifact bases give. for the aesthetics, well i though they looked O.K. aesthetics are subject to the person, so i dont think ill change anything except for the grid floor and the kill balls. still, appreciate the feedback and the trouble you took! BTW, did you test the map out?

• Like 1

I appreciate your feedback. i appreciate the time you spent to give feedback on the different flaws in the map. i will try to fix the bumps in the floor and the special effect. i also agree on the use of window coliseums as weird as there is nothing outside the map and the grid was just a waste of my budget. however, i have not found any holes in the map? i could not find any of the holes you were talking about and i like the effect the artifact bases give. for the aesthetics, well i though they looked O.K. aesthetics are subject to the person, so i dont think ill change anything except for the grid floor and the kill balls. still, appreciate the feedback and the trouble you took! BTW, did you test the map out?

Was able to play 2v2.

The rectangular layout of the map did not cause any problems from my experience, I think it's fine. Many maps have a rectangular layout. Boardwalk from halo reach had a rectangular layout. I don't see a problem there...

In my experience, maps with unique layouts make for better and much more interesting gameplay. Square maps get boring. Try to make a map with a unique layout and see if you can feel any changes in gameplay.