Featured Map: Mutant

DarklingNinja

Mutant

Click To Download

nice_zpsb1f244f1.jpg

Map Authors and Contributors

Lead Design: Darkling Ninja
Co-designers: Limey, Redemption. Sethiroth

Design input: Fritzer, HezbollaHector, The Fated Fire, Warholic, Nitroo, Psycho Duck

Co-forgers: Eww Your Skinny, Darkling Ninja, Redemption

Map Information and History

Mutants History:

Mutant was one of those likes Halcyon, everyone was excited for it, but it never was completely finished or released.  Many people are aware of the design and it has become one of those famous maps that was never made.

The original mutant was designed over 5 years ago for the first Halo 3 MLG forge forum map pack.  It is the original guirdian, lockout inspired forge map.  Myself, Sethiroth and Fritzer has all put some of our design skills into making this a good map.  Many people were excited and looked forward to its release.  In the end it turned out to be impossible to forge on Halo 3 with the piece limitations.  The fact is that Mutant was just to far ahead of its time for Halo 3.  Mutant was put on the back burner for the first time, as we all waited for the next Halo game to be released hoping that the next forge system would be able to handle the map.

Enter the brokenness of Halo: Reach.  Mutant was redesigned soon after the games release by me and Sethiroth.  Even though we had some issues redesigning some areas before we were able to find any solutions frame rate killed Mutant.  The forge pieces required to create Mutant in Halo: Reach consisted of primarily frame rate heavy objects.  Halo: reach could not handle the design either. Me and Sethiroth gave up on Mutant and focused on our own work.  Upset with the frame issues of Halo: Reach forge, frustrated with the broken and terrible game play, and busy with college I stop playing Halo and disappeared from the face of XBL and Halo for the next 2 years, leaving mutant and forge behind.

Then I got my hands on Halo 4, a vast improvement over Halo: reach.  Halo was once again fun for me to play.  I picked back up forge, and got involved with the community once again.  I practiced making maps to get use to the system while re-designing mutant for Halo 4.  Halo 4 had no problem handling mutant, sadly enough Halo design had advanced so far that mutant was no longer light years ahead of its time.  Even so mutant still stands tall as one of the best, if not the best asymmetrical competitive map.  Not to toot my own horn, but I have not played an asymmetrical map that plays competitively as well as mutant does. (default infinity slayer is a different story)  If I play one that is better than mutant I will gladly admit that the asymmetrical map is better.  I expect that I will eventually play a competitive asymmetrical map that plays better than mutant.  As of right now I have yet to play it.  In a matter of fact I would not be surprised if there is a map already out there that is a better asymmetrical competitive map then mutant tongue.png  like I said I have yet to play it, and I play a lot of forge customs.

Map Description:

Mutant is a 4 tower, asymmetrical competitive map, that specializes in OddBall and Extraction.  Since its conception, Mutant has been geared towards competitive game play.

This is a fast pace asymmetrical competitive map.  Rapid fighting and non-stop action is what mutant has to offer.  The map promotes movement and team work, and demotes camping.  The geometry of the map does not rely on lazy cover and/or generic geometry to provide cover for players.  Providing oneself with cover will depend on taking advantage of the angles and using team support.

Unlike most 4 tower asymmetrical maps, stalemates and polarized spawns are not an issue.  Like all asymmetrical maps stale mates happen from time to time, but they do not last very long.  The longest stalemate has been 45 seconds in my testing.  The lockout problem does not exist on this map, a team will not find themselves making a hard push to a power point just to spawn in the same place over and over. (Like lift room on shutout)  The spawns are dynamic, yet sensible and controllable.

The levels on the map are balanced out well and no part of the map is underplayed.  The high ground remains the coveted locations to control just like any other map, but the other levels are not without vital importance.  Middle ground provides more cover, with critical shooting angels, and versatility, making middle ground a vital location to utilize properly.  Low ground provides the most cover will access to flanking positions, as well as an Overshield spawn making it important to keep an eye on.

In the end Mutant has been what everyone had hope for it during these last 4 years of design.  I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to it throughout the years.

Thank you,
Darkling Ninja

Weapons, Game Types, and Misc.

Player size: 4-8

Weapons On Map:

BR x 4 (30sec)
DMR x1 (30sec)
Carbine x1 (30sec)
LR x1 (30sec)
Boltshot x1 (90sec)
Needler x1 (180 sec)
Magnum x2 (60 sec)

Frag x 4 (30sec)
Plasma x2 (60sec)

Ordinance Drops:

Sniper Rifle x1 (150sec)
Overshield x1 (90sec)

Best Game Types:

Odd Ball
Extraction

Other Supported Game Types:

KOTH
Slayer
FFA

WEAPON MAP

overview-1_zpsfc51d8df.jpg

Pictures

Gold / White

gold_zps7ce8dcb6.jpg

Blue

blue_zps95291729.jpg

Bottom Middle
mid_zps3e270b7f.jpg

Rock / Cave

rock_zps6f3ce127.jpg

Red

red_zpsc65a4681.jpg

• Like 1

MUTANT VERSION 1.1 UPDATES

-  Jump Pad scaled down, shield door indicator replaced with capture plate indicator

-  All Wall Single flooring removed and replaced due to invisible wall preventing weapon and objective pickups

-  All Brace Tunnel flooring removed and replaced due to invisible wall preventing weapon and objective pickups

-  Damage boost added top green

-  Weapon and power up timers adjusted for sniper and overshield

-  Pathway added from red plat to gold balcony

-  Hill and Extraction site sequence adjusted

-  Extraction site Echo moved from green jump to the top of green

-  Various cosmetic changes

PICTURES WILL BE REPLACED WITH V 1.1 PICTURES SHORTLY

It was fun and competitive but I feel the spawns are off as in you can find each other too quickly if of spawn. The jump pad fails at times and some of the jumps and movement on the map is not too fluent. Or that could've just been me. It's really a fun map and well designed and although I don't have an expert opinion that's just my thoughts from playing it

• Like 1

Guest Psychoduck

I did not notice issues with spawning personally.  I did notice that the radius on the jump pad was extremely small, where players had a very small window within which to use it.  In the heat of battle it was very common for players to be unable to use the jump pad and die as a result.  I'd advise opening the radius up a bit.  Other than that, there were some performance issues.  Nothing was too bad, but combat throughout the map tended to cause framerate drops.  There were also more severe framerate drops immediately off spawn in some cases.  This wasn't a major flaw, but if you want your map to be as good as it can be (and as good as you claim it is for that matter), I would advise rebuilding it on Forge Island with the same pieces.  Forge Island tends to be much easier to achieve fluid framerate on.  

Aside from that, the map really was a pleasure to play.  The design was extremely solid, and the map played very well for Team Slayer and Oddball.  

• Like 3

I did not notice issues with spawning personally.  I did notice that the radius on the jump pad was extremely small, where players had a very small window within which to use it.  In the heat of battle it was very common for players to be unable to use the jump pad and die as a result.  I'd advise opening the radius up a bit.  Other than that, there were some performance issues.  Nothing was too bad, but combat throughout the map tended to cause framerate drops.  There were also more severe framerate drops immediately off spawn in some cases.  This wasn't a major flaw, but if you want your map to be as good as it can be (and as good as you claim it is for that matter), I would advise rebuilding it on Forge Island with the same pieces.  Forge Island tends to be much easier to achieve fluid framerate on.  

Aside from that, the map really was a pleasure to play.  The design was extremely solid, and the map played very well for Team Slayer and Oddball.  

Finding the perfect scaling for the jump pad has been difficult, I will most likely need to once again rescale it.  I am also currently testing a version of the map without a jump pad.  The jump pad has been very hard to get right, it just comes from lots of time and testing.  Rescale, re-test.  Whats new :)

That really sucks to hear, I actually cannot see frame rate on my Xbox.  So I have to have people come in and check for it.  If I wasn't a forger not being able to see frame rate would be no problem :P  I will be doing a re-forge on forge island. (Since it is as good as I claim it to be ~_^)  Sadly enough I have finals around the corner, so I will not be able to get to it until the middle or end of next week.  Once I reforge it I will post new pictures and links.

Expect Mutant on forge world by May 5th

If you are interested in testing or need test groups we have multiple mutual friends on xbl so you can look me up on their friends list, or you can add me (friend request sent)

• Like 2

Mutant 2.0 Updates

-  Map re-forged exactly to scale on Forge Island, various aesthetic changes have happened due to this.  Most notably black / Green tower is now Rock / Cave Tower

-   Pulse Grenades and Damage Boost removed

-   2 Magnums Added to map

-   Weapon Placement Changes

1.  Sniper Moved to top Red

2.  Overshield still bottom Mid, but moved closer to Blue/Gold side

3.  Carbine moved from top Red to top Gold

-  Needler added to top Gold were sniper rifle use to be

- Jump Pad removed, jumps ups added along the inside of the middle ring

- Jump up added on gold plat to top blue (The rock in the back of the plat)

-  Glass on red window removed, now the window is open

• Like 1

This is my first time seeing the Forge Island variant. It looks so pretty now!

Seriously, the solid white texture of Forge Island pieces make each structure look a lot cleaner. That mist bottom mid looks awesome too. It's about time you removed the glass window in Red :).

I'll run this in my test lobby this week.

Edit: Oh, and good call removing the jump pad and adding jump ups.

• Like 1

Guest Psychoduck

Awesome, I look forward to playing it again.  I think that War's suggestion to move the sniper was a good one, so that should be reakky nice.  Also, the map looks great on Forge Island.

This is dedication right here folks.  I wish more forgers were as responsive to constructive criticism, as this just proves how much better a map can be for it.

• Like 2

This is my first time seeing the Forge Island variant. It looks so pretty now!

Seriously, the solid white texture of Forge Island pieces make each structure look a lot cleaner. That mist bottom mid looks awesome too. It's about time you removed the glass window in Red :).

I'll run this in my test lobby this week.

Edit: Oh, and good call removing the jump pad and adding jump ups.

Thanx fire :D glad you like the look of the new version

Awesome, I look forward to playing it again.  I think that War's suggestion to move the sniper was a good one, so that should be reakky nice.  Also, the map looks great on Forge Island.

This is dedication right here folks.  I wish more forgers were as responsive to constructive criticism, as this just proves how much better a map can be for it.

Thank you very much Duck, I am glad you like it :)  if you have any further suggestions after playing the new version I would love to hear them.

Constructive criticism and feedback are important tools for any forger to utilize.  Like you said, it can only make your map better, :)

looks great. how did you get the smokey effect at the bottom of the map? 

He built it on top of a certain part of the water in Forge Island. You can find it near any of the islands, I think.