Coming back to Reach?

SkItZo1041

After a week of Halo 4, I decided to comeback and try Reach again. To my surprise, there were just as many people online playing Reach, as there were on Halo 4. Am I not the only one doing this? hah. Anyways, after trying Reach again, I found myself actually not screaming at all the bs. I played 4 games, two games of SWAT, one of infection, and one of Invasion. After going positive with 20+ kills in both games of SWAT, 28 kills in infection, and going 43 and 5 with three killing sprees and an untouchable in Invasion Slayer Hemmorhage, I can safely say I miss Reach lol. Halo 4 is definitely fun, but there are so many good things in Reach that I wished they hadn't taken out. Am I the only one thinking this?

• Like 5

After a week of Halo 4, I decided to comeback and try Reach again. To my surprise, there were just as many people online playing Reach, as there were on Halo 4. Am I not the only one doing this? hah. Anyways, after trying Reach again, I found myself actually not screaming at all the bs. I played 4 games, two games of SWAT, one of infection, and one of Invasion. After going positive with 20+ kills in both games of SWAT, 28 kills in infection, and going 43 and 5 with three killing sprees and an untouchable in Invasion Slayer Hemmorhage, I can safely say I miss Reach lol. Halo 4 is definitely fun, but there are so many good things in Reach that I wished they hadn't taken out. Am I the only one thinking this?

Remember reach!

Yeah i go back on reach mostly to play FFA in custom with MLG rules, just alot of fun!

I do love Halo 4 but I miss Reach...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, I've gone back to Reach. Still play H4 once in a while, though. As far as my performance, yeah I've gotten 4 or 5 perfections, and 2 or 3 unfrigs in Reach since H4 came out.

Never been able to get an unfrig :/ Gotten up to Invincible twice, but the game always ended before I could get anymore >.<

Reach is my favorite Halo multiplayer game of all-time (no, that's not a typo). Loving Halo 4 right now, however. Don't think I could go back to Reach at this point. A few of the people I played with on 3 and Reach haven't bought 4 yet, so I'm waiting for them to hop aboard. If I went back to Reach and then back to 4, I can only imagine how horrendous I would play. I've never been good at 'converting' back and forth very quickly.

343 should never have bought Halo. Reach was a good stopping point.

This right here just irritates me. No offense, Jan, but 343 didn't buy Halo. 343 was given Halo by Microsoft, when Bungie didn't sign another contract to contiue creating the games. Microsoft wanted more Halo, Bungie wanted to work on other projects. So Microsoft turned to their in house developer, 343, to produce more Halo games.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Reach is funnier and way better. Especially vanilla Reach. I've gone back. Now give me a plain slayer playlist with outdoor forge maps only and I'll be pleased beyond all.

Reach is my favorite Halo multiplayer game of all-time (no, that's not a typo). Loving Halo 4 right now, however. Don't think I could go back to Reach at this point. A few of the people I played with on 3 and Reach haven't bought 4 yet, so I'm waiting for them to hop aboard. If I went back to Reach and then back to 4, I can only imagine how horrendous I would play. I've never been good at 'converting' back and forth very quickly.

If u go back for day you really realize how fun and good Reach actually is....

I do the mistake of buying bad games all the time. **** happens. I still like Reach waaay more than H4. Its like 100% less random, and not just a chaotic mess like H4 with its zero kill times and insta spawns. Also I like perks to have function if in a game, not being there just as a thing on the feature list. Back to Reach VANILLA slayer it is.

• Like 1

I remember people complaining this way when Halo: Reach came out. "Go back to Halo 3," everyone was saying. And to be fair I really don't have a preference for one over the other. Reach and 4 both have their pros and cons.

I like the darker, more solemn multiplayer maps of Halo 4, as opposed to the bright and cheery ones on Halo: Reach. They give the games a more intense atmosphere.

However, I felt that the Halo Reach maps were more intricate, in-depth and sometimes more visually appealing. If you take a moment to look around maps like Meltdown, they're actually kind of drab and sometimes boring. However other maps, like Ravine, manage to have a solemn feel, while still being interesting enough in terms of graphics.

Now, the weapons. I liked having the option of choosing from a heavy, medium, and light rapid-fire weapon in Halo 3 (Mounted machinegun, assault rifle, SMG) and Halo Reach (Plasma turret, plasma repeater, plasma rifle). However we don't get that in Halo 4. The SMG has been replaced with the SAW, which is a good weapon, but the only difference between it and the assault rifle, AFAIK, is clip size. Which makes you wonder: why would you want to use an AR when the SAW is basically the same thing with a larger clip? The plasma rifle is also gone, instead it seems that 343 threw the plasma rifle and the plasma repeater into a blender, creating the Storm Rifle. Once again, I have nothing against the SR, but why no good old-fashioned plasma rifles? :(

However, I like the fact that your HP has been reduced for Halo 4, to about the same level it was in Halo 3. In Halo: Reach, it took forever to kill someone (you had to empty 2/3 of a DMR clip for one kill) unless you were using something fairly powerful. The starting weapons (DMR, AR and Magnum) were too weak, or your HP was too high, one or the other. And that was, once again, fine sometimes (it made it so that it wasn't down to who shot first), but other times it was annoying. Plus, I've found that the lower HP in Halo 4 encourages more teamwork.

Vehicles. Halo 4's vehicles are pretty powerful, but trying to splatter someone with them is a total joke. I think splattering in Halo 3 was too easy, so they put in armor lock for Halo Reach, only making the problem worse. You could be literally crushing the other team with splatters, until some n00b ends your spree with the press of one button. Armor lock was a good idea, but I think they overpowered it. Now, armor lock is gone, but trying to splatter someone is next to impossible if they know you're coming. One way around the problem that I found is to just attack with the vehicles weapons, move slowly towards them and then surprise them with a burst of speed. I agree that it should take some amount of skill to splatter someone, but this is kind of over the top.

Betrayals. There's nothing I can say about Halo Reach's betrayal system that hasn't already been said, so let me just whip it out there: WTF??? If a teammate runs up to me and fires a shotgun into my face to take my sniper rifle, that isn't their fault and they should get off totally scot free, but if I throw a plasma grenade into a gravity lift on Spire and it sticks my teammate after almost a minute, that is my fault and I should be booted. Yeah, that's perfectly fair. In Halo 4, there's no friendly fire at all. That's a coward's way out. Now, if there's a battle going on, you can just spam grenades without any regard to the presence of your teammates. I have been betrayed by players in vehicles, but I've never got the option to boot. So both games are stupid when it comes to the betrayal system.

So, that's that, both have pros and cons.

• Like 2

I remember people complaining this way when Halo: Reach came out. "Go back to Halo 3," everyone was saying. And to be fair I really don't have a preference for one over the other. Reach and 4 both have their pros and cons.

I like the darker, more solemn multiplayer maps of Halo 4, as opposed to the bright and cheery ones on Halo: Reach. They give the games a more intense atmosphere.

However, I felt that the Halo Reach maps were more intricate, in-depth and sometimes more visually appealing. If you take a moment to look around maps like Meltdown, they're actually kind of drab and sometimes boring. However other maps, like Ravine, manage to have a solemn feel, while still being interesting enough in terms of graphics.

Now, the weapons. I liked having the option of choosing from a heavy, medium, and light rapid-fire weapon in Halo 3 (Mounted machinegun, assault rifle, SMG) and Halo Reach (Plasma turret, plasma repeater, plasma rifle). However we don't get that in Halo 4. The SMG has been replaced with the SAW, which is a good weapon, but the only difference between it and the assault rifle, AFAIK, is clip size. Which makes you wonder: why would you want to use an AR when the SAW is basically the same thing with a larger clip? The plasma rifle is also gone, instead it seems that 343 threw the plasma rifle and the plasma repeater into a blender, creating the Storm Rifle. Once again, I have nothing against the SR, but why no good old-fashioned plasma rifles? :(

However, I like the fact that your HP has been reduced for Halo 4, to about the same level it was in Halo 3. In Halo: Reach, it took forever to kill someone (you had to empty 2/3 of a DMR clip for one kill) unless you were using something fairly powerful. The starting weapons (DMR, AR and Magnum) were too weak, or your HP was too high, one or the other. And that was, once again, fine sometimes (it made it so that it wasn't down to who shot first), but other times it was annoying. Plus, I've found that the lower HP in Halo 4 encourages more teamwork.

Vehicles. Halo 4's vehicles are pretty powerful, but trying to splatter someone with them is a total joke. I think splattering in Halo 3 was too easy, so they put in armor lock for Halo Reach, only making the problem worse. You could be literally crushing the other team with splatters, until some n00b ends your spree with the press of one button. Armor lock was a good idea, but I think they overpowered it. Now, armor lock is gone, but trying to splatter someone is next to impossible if they know you're coming. One way around the problem that I found is to just attack with the vehicles weapons, move slowly towards them and then surprise them with a burst of speed. I agree that it should take some amount of skill to splatter someone, but this is kind of over the top.

Betrayals. There's nothing I can say about Halo Reach's betrayal system that hasn't already been said, so let me just whip it out there: WTF??? If a teammate runs up to me and fires a shotgun into my face to take my sniper rifle, that isn't their fault and they should get off totally scot free, but if I throw a plasma grenade into a gravity lift on Spire and it sticks my teammate after almost a minute, that is my fault and I should be booted. Yeah, that's perfectly fair. In Halo 4, there's no friendly fire at all. That's a coward's way out. Now, if there's a battle going on, you can just spam grenades without any regard to the presence of your teammates. I have been betrayed by players in vehicles, but I've never got the option to boot. So both games are stupid when it comes to the betrayal system.

So, that's that, both have pros and cons.

Well said. Reach has it's ups and downs. But it's good for custom games, forge, machinima, and a bit of matchmaking.