Did You Like Halo 4 Official Thread

SykoWolf

I liked a lot of the changes made to the game but I also missed the humour that Halo previously had with the enemy. One thing I was really disappointed by was the soundtrack. It just didn’t feel like Halo and it didn’t get the blood pumping or tug on the heartstrings the way the previous ones did, I was really disappointed by it :( Overall the game was good, loved the graphics, but you guys better find some way of getting Cortana back cause she and the Chief are a package deal.

Good topic.

I love it, and have to admit, I havent even scratched the surface as far as its replayability go. The campaign storyline was immense, and made sense, unlike some other games out now. It was a clear progression, with little to no roadblocks that made me think "WTF... how/why did that happen, it makes no sense"..

Graphics/usability were spot on, and while I play it, I can't help but think back to how I felt when I was playing H2. Which was easily my favorite Halo.

I think 343 nailed this one, and can't wait to see what the next installment brings

Well, I feel there were a fair number of hits and a fair number of misses at the same time.

To start, campaign was good, it's something I like playing, which is more than I can say for parts of Halo 3. I won't spoil parts, but there are spots that I liked more than any other Halo campaign.

Spartan Ops. Yes. This is, without a doubt, my favorite feature in any halo. Ever. I'd only ask to have a seperate set of loadouts that are unique to Ops, but that's a quibble. I will keep playing this over and over again regardless. Beautiful, simply beautiful.

I am also very, very fond of the mantis. She's a thing of beauty, and if I get one, the only way to get me out is to kill me and not provide a replacement. Thank you.

My dislikes were almost entirely personal in nature, save one; Red team as a whole seems to start games at a disadvantage, be it in poor locations or too far away from certain vehicles/initial drops when compared to Blue. Exile's placement of the Gauss and Scorpion are perfect examples here.

On another note, it seems like the spartans' armor is too small for them. I'm seeing a disproportionate amount of 'undersuit' that the plates go onto no matter what I try. I like a hard, covered left side and an open, flexible right side, and I'm finding that look to be impossible to create. My Reach spartan - GT An Eireannach - IS my idea of perfect armor.

I will give fair warning in that I am about to start into what I personally did not like. If you would rather not sit through my quibbles, move to the next poster now. I'd also say that removal of this section from my post would be acceptable.

Colors seems too dark in the multiplayer palette. Gold looks like orange, and the legendary visor is just a deep, unattractive orange. Colors on the palette for armor and emblem color come out to be a few shades darker on the actual image, and that's disappointing

It seems so much of the UNSC's budget was allocated to building the infinity that in order to cut costs, scorpions had to be outfitted with sub-sonic main guns - This means to say that if I want to plug something - a spartan/elite, a ghost - anything - at a range greater than 30-ish in-game feet, I have to lead the shot. That's one of the new aspects I really dislike.

The addition of a kill cam I feel was not an improvement. I am only deeply curious as to how I died when I am assassinated or sniped, and those are the only two modes of death in which the camera will not roll. Otherwise, I know how I died, even if i got blindsided and facerolled by some other means. Having experienced this almost every day since launch, I don't need or want it.

For that, a menu option in future games to disable this feature would be a beautiful solution.

Sound - What happened to my warthog? I found it in the second level on campaign and was so happy to get in one again...until i opened her up. I adored the engine sound in every previous halo. Now...I'll only interact with one when I have to. It sounds like it was replaced with a straight piped gas engine. On that note ghosts also sound like they need a new alternator. I know 343 wanted to take things in their own direction, but they got all of the rights to Halo; ask Bungie for the sound bytes to the things that carried over please.

Art Design - 343i wanted to do their own thing, go their own direction i know...but goodness me did things that until now had a convention change. Grunts were once described as being closer to arthropods (bugs, spiders, crabs...crabs in this case) than anything else. The ones on requiem are reptillian, much more in line with elites. These elites also seem to be very splay-jawed. The joints seem set further on the side of their heads. These things were kind of offputting for me. Again, the parts that were consistant, I'd like to stay consistant. The armor they're in, the personalities they have...that's where I'd like creative attention and new art direction go, and that's exactly what happened, and I liked it.

To close, my complaints are essentially all little things that could keep going in future games and would not impact anything about it. I gave my two cents, one good and one bad in this case, but as for gameplay, I'd put Halo 4 in second place right behind Reach.

From best to worst in my book:

Reach > Halo 4 > ODST > Halo 3 > Halo 2 (though this one wins map design by a landslide) > CE

• 2 weeks later...

I hope some of the forum memebers will seriously take time to read this.

Thoughts Before Game

When the previews were out for Halo 4, I was actually stunned. I thought the loadout systems and armor abilities were going to absolutely trash Halo 4 and ruin it. To my surprise it did the opposite, it feels very well thought-out and fresh to the Halo experience. The music could be better. This soundtrack is very lacking in my opinion. I thought that from both before the game came out and now.

Thoughts on Halo 4 vs. Other Halo Titles

This game is by far much better than Halo: Reach, I can actually play it and not feel like the entire game is a broken down mess. It is by far the best Halo look-wise and has a great campaign that makes Master Chief finally a human being.

However, I despise the ranking system returned from Reach. Yes, I understand that a lot of people enjoy the XP system from kills and such, but I still find myself with a round-about same XP no matter how well I do. In fact, I actually tested it. I played three games not even touching my controller, I just picked a class and hid. Then I played 3 games actually participating. (All 6 games were wins.) The difference between me not playing and playing added together was a difference of only 563 XP. That's pitiful. That makes it show that you don't even need to care to be up with the elite high ranks. You need some sort of number ranking system like Halo 3 or else there really is absolutely no reason to play like you want to win. I wouldn't even mind a mix! Just... Just not this. I can't play matchmaking and feel like I'm accomplishing something. I just can't do it, and it's sad because the multiplayer is really superb.

Finally, and most importantly, custom games. Some of you (who even bothered to read this) must be very confused on why I said that. This, is more of a personal thing. The thing that made Halo 2 and 3 for me was the fact that custom games were always booming with my friends and I could always have a blast. Halo 4 has been out for a month now, why is the file share system still down? That's asinine. My friends have moved on to Black Ops 2, and not only do I have no one to play custom games with, but with the file share down, I have no custom games to play with my friends who do still play Halo 4. I wish my Halo 3 record was still available, because I had something like 6,000+ custom games. Yes, I go outside now. That's besides the point. Halo just isn't Halo when you can't fool around with your friends. Which leads back into matchmaking, because no one takes it seriously anymore.

Final Thoughts

Yes, I know I complained a lot. That doesn't mean that I don't like Halo 4. I love Halo 4 and what it offered me. However, compared to the other Halos I have played, it's still on the lower tier because of too many minor issues added up. It's better than Reach. It's better than O.D.S.T. It's even better than Halo 1 for me. It just didn't top the fun I got out of Halo 2 and 3. I need purpose to play a game and with how the multiplayer ended up, I just can't put it above it. Even though it's really fun to play. The campaign was slightly below par with Halo 2 though and for that, I commend 343, because I never thought that Halo would ever come close again to having such a great campaign.

343, I believe in you as a company, and while you may not read this, this is a true fan to the Halo series here, I want to see it finished strong. Halo 4 would've blown me away if you just tweaked the multiplayer just a little bit. I'll stick in there with Halo 5 and 6.

Hoping for a brighter Halo future-

TristanX11

no armor lock

all the weapons have a fair chance of getting you kills

headshots are actually headshots and you can actually get them now

i kind of get a halo 3 feeling from it

the vehicles aren't really powerful

haven't seen much banshee use

but i do hate the fact theres no griffball and all the maps are plain and ugly

No, I don't really like Halo 4. And this is generally speaking from playing on Heroic difficulty or higher.

First, the campaign. Boring and kind of pointless. While yes there was some drama between Master Chief and Cortana, I didn't really empathise with her. She kind of shown that she should be put down pretty early on, and while I can understand MC's loyalty to her, when the angry ship captain wanted her gone. I had to agree. She seemed to be more of a liability then anything. (Besides she didn't really seem to be going crazy but just... erratically emotional.)

[[ Spoiler]] Though, kudos on killing her off. While it's a game late. (Should have happened in 3. She seriously wore out her welcome there) It was a enjoyable thing that makes me hopeful for the next game. Maybe we get to see some other people who are interesting or at least enjoyable. Maybe some friendly Elites or other Spartans (2, 3 or 4.)

The Didact. Next time you introduce a villain, give us time with him, don't give him the ability to just Force grab Master Chief and go, "Mwuahaha. I'm a jerk." This guy never really felt like a threat, or a villain, he just seemed to be some guy I should fight 'cause... racism? No, I should not have to go piss off to watch videos out of the game just to know what his deal is. (Or any of the other supporting cast.)

Weapons: While I liked some additions, mainly the SAW, the Promethean weapons should.. kind of be taken out entirely. The Binary Rifle is just a instant kill if someone looks at you wrong while using it. (Either in Campain, Ops, or Multi) The Incineration cannon is just a frustrating thing for the Knights to use, and the Suppresor and Lightrifle add nothing to the real dynamic of the weapons besides, maybe they're a little stronger? The Pulse grenades are generally useless, and though I like the boltshot, why give it a shotgun function when we've had maulers that did the same thing? (Brutes funner then Knights, by the way.)

Then there's the change of pace in the covenant weapons, most of their shots travel too quickly. Fuel Rods travel too fast when fired, giving too little time to try and evade, especially when so many Covenant seem to have them way too often it's just cheap difficulty. Another thing was allowing enemies to super combine you with needlers. You're already out numbered and out gunned, with enemies reacting a lot less to damage then before. For me, this was just a unnecessary change. Yeah, it makes the game more difficult in a way, but not in a good way. Just, more frustrating.

The covenant weapon thing is especially noticable in a banshee in campaign, where Grunts, Elites and Jackals can shoot one down pretty quickly. It, along with other things, ruin the flow of the gameplay, and really taking away from the experience.

Vehicles: It is far too easy to splatter someone. Ghost or Wraiths barely even need to move for a splatter, and a slow going warthog can do the same. They also seem generally weaker then even in reach.

Loadouts: I dislike this feature in the game, as I honestly don't think anyone should be able to start out with plasma grenades. While I do like it for Spartan Ops, having a standard weapon start or pre-chosen things Reach had would have been a preferred alternative for me.

AA: I dislike the removal of the bubble shield.

Connections: Whatever the problem is that makes it difficult to play Co-op campaign or spartan ops without one of the players getting input delay really, really ruins some of the enjoyment factors of this game. This also seems to put a off putting delay in multiplayer for myself at least where in some games it seems i'm a half second behind everyone else. (A problem which is pretty exclusive to Halo 4.)

Enemy A.I.: Too alert, too accurate, and too fast on reaction. Many times sneaking just doesn't seem to be an option, as if you get in ten feet on a elite or Knight, they know where you are, will usually turn around and severely damage or outright kill you with a melee attack. And, apparently can see through the invisibility AA which makes it sort of pointless in over half of the game.

You jump too high. No, I don't like it. Though this is just a personal gripe.

Also, customization unlocks. and the removal of level progress from campaign. Why have certain options limited only to extremely grindy and silly multiplayer commendations? Not everyone wants to play your multiplayer, and I don't think many people want to do several hundred assassinations for some armor they think looks neat (Especially if they're not that good.). Or use forerunner weapons in multiplayer just to get a stance. At least unlock these things for the general public later on down the line so not everyone has to try and grind for those things.

And, by the way, Spartan Ops online only? **** move. Should let those offline people at least have a Firefight mode if you're going to deny them the right to play part of the game they buy.

Also, whoever decided Knights should be able to teleport at will any time they want, with no discernable way to track their location change AND give them invincibility while doing this, should not be allowed to make enemies any more. Especially if you have them almost killed and they just cop out to some place you can't easily get too before they recharge their shields or something. Then give one of them a knockback shockwave type of attack, just doesn't give them any weakness besides simple brute force. Which is hard to deliver while solo on legendary. Basically, Knights are terrible enemies who are just too tedious to fight.

• 2 weeks later...

i have to say that MM is completely horse ****. im sick and tired of you little try hards that pop into halo and think ur good when all u do is pop nades all over the place and use promethean vision on every class and boltshots as every secondary. H4 is by far the worst halo ever made and thats counting halo wars. some thing seriously needs to change. this is not halo this game makes me want to break something. i think its garbage that they only listen to the 90% of the population but dont care about the rest of us 10% that actually involve skill into what they do. ur the worst halo developing company ive ever ran across while playing games. thats including gears of war. i rate this lower than gears and that pretty bad. fix your servers take the boltshot out and take the promethean vision out. this game is not halo. this is more or less black ops and a gears of war mesh. 343 i really hope u sell the rights because you are ruining halo. and i am speaking for the 10% of us who involve skill in the way we play. i refuse to use bolt shot or promethean vision. and its impossible to play this game without it. i honestly hate every one of your developers. ur stupid and have no idea what halo is, so please sell the rights.

i would like to say that the campaign was ok. i always play the campaign first and when u kno who dies, it really made me want to stop playing halo. and as a general discussion MM has a lot to do with the game. when 343 came out with H4 i was optimistic with it. the campaign let me down and now MM is really letting me down. to the point i dont even want to touch the controller. i really dont understand the loadout shotgun (boltshot) that makes no sense when people are going to abuse camo. and when the abuse promethean vision. AND now they are making the DMR weaker. AGAIN. AND they lowered the hit radius of the head shots. they are ruining the aspect of halos 4 shot. they are turning it into some bullcrap gears of war/cod mix and to all the major fans out there. you should feel ignorant to compliment these people. ive played halo since H1 and by far the best one was H2. it was well balanced and there was no BS. it was shoot this person and who ever is better wins. the maps are horrible. adrift has to be the worst map next to haven. and the lag is terrible. get some dedicated servers GIVE US WHAT WE WANT. NO LAG 4 SHOTS LEGIT GAMES TAKE BOLTSHOTS OUT AND PROMETHEAN VISION. or just take loadouts out of the game BCUS THATS A COD THING NOT HALO! loadouts ruin the equal playing field that every halo besides reach (which was just as bad) had. u all spawn with the same stuff. and its first come first serve. and these stupid player cards as a lobby??? thats not halo. this isnt japan. give us the old halo back.

343 you are changing everything that has been known to halo gamers. thats not right. this isnt halo, you act like just bcus you own the rights u can do what YOU think halo should be. but we who have played it since the dawn of halo love halo. YOU have changed it. AND BRING BACK THE TRASH TALKING!! WE WANT KIDS TO RAGE!!! thats another thing halo was founded on "the angry gamer" glitches old school gaming. and u stole all that from us. and you people should not be in control of halo. you make me sick and i hope you do not own halo for long.

BRING BUNGIE BACK!!!!

Toshyxx, the first thing i said on the OP was to keep it civil and not spout random BS, which is exactly what you did, in TWO posts no less, even though we have an edit button right there, so please guys , KEEP IT CIVIL, i want to hear proper thought out reasons, not just that you hated it or liked it....

Once again, any swearing or rude nonsense and i will be asking for it to be removed....

I feel like these two following posts need to be addressed properly. So I apoligise ahead of time for the rant.

Let's begin.

im sick and tired of you little try hards that pop into halo and think ur good when all u do is pop nades all over the place and use promethean vision on every class and boltshots as every secondary.

Using grenades is a very old tactic and is seen by old Halo gamers as the 3rd major component of a Halo firefight. Point gone. Promethean vision can be countered very easily and so can the boltshot, by seeing a red circle on the motion tracker and hearing a high pitch noise from the game. If you can't do that, you lack the skill which you continue to claim you have.

i think its garbage that they only listen to the 90% of the population but dont care about the rest of us 10% that actually involve skill into what they do.

343 Industries listened to a huge amount of players on their official forums Halo Waypoint. They did read almost everything posted there, if you didn't post there. Not their problem, if you did. You obviously were in the minority.

ur the worst halo developing company ive ever ran across while playing games. thats including gears of war. i rate this lower than gears and that pretty bad. fix your servers take the boltshot out and take the promethean vision out.

343I, Ensemble studios and Bungie are the only people to have made Halo. Yet you mention GoW? I have no idea why you bring that in when this post...rant was about Halo, but ok, let's continue. Oh my I see you complain about the Boltshot and Promethean Vision. Well I've covered that, so I'll move on to your point about servers. Sure 343 and MS screwed up with the servers, but comparing now to Nov 6th, the servers are much better.

343 i really hope u sell the rights because you are ruining halo. and i am speaking for the 10% of us who involve skill in the way we play. i refuse to use bolt shot or promethean vision. and its impossible to play this game without it. i honestly hate every one of your developers. ur stupid and have no idea what halo is, so please sell the rights.

That is your opinion, based on what is a terrible argument. You say this 10%? Where are you pulling that figure from? I see no support or statistics to legitimise your point. Again you complain about the Boltshot and Promethean Vision. It's really looking like you can't actually play against good people, and are lacking skill yourself.

You go on to say you hate the dev's, well for you information Bungie employees went to 343 Industries to work on halo 4-6 so they do know Halo, and the rest just love Halo, that's why they're there.

• Like 5

This is a double post, because the quotes weren't allowing me to post the second half, I apolise in advance.

Ok, finished destoying that argument. I'll move to the next.

i would like to say that the campaign was ok. i always play the campaign first and when u kno who dies, it really made me want to stop playing halo.

Sure not everyone may like who dies and such, but that cliffhanger is a good urge to be excited to see how that works with the next two games following Halo 4.

i really dont understand the loadout shotgun (boltshot) that makes no sense when people are going to abuse camo. and when the abuse promethean vision. AND now they are making the DMR weaker. AND they lowered the hit radius of the head shots. they are ruining the aspect of halos 4 shot.

Ok, I just finished explaining how the Bolt shot and Promethean Vision can be countered, so I won't even bother here. As for active camo, it's a good tactic to use, and I for one can clearly see someone use it, even at long distances, and I have eye vision problems, so that clears that point. The DMR hasn't been nerfed. So I have no idea why you said that.

I can headshot well, if you can't. Aim better, my only advice.

they are turning it into some bullcrap gears of war/cod mix and to all the major fans out there.

I'm not even bothering with a comment as stupid as this.

you should feel ignorant to compliment these people. ive played halo since H1 and by far the best one was H2. it was well balanced and there was no BS.

So you think from playing them all in order, you have a superior opinion? No.

Halo 2 was the WORST balanced Halo game in existence. Glitches everywhere. Super lunges. Button cheats. Hit box bugs. The game was no where near finished. Sure it was a good game. But not worthy of being called balanced by any means.

the maps are horrible. adrift has to be the worst map next to haven. and the lag is terrible. get some dedicated servers GIVE US WHAT WE WANT. NO LAG 4 SHOTS LEGIT GAMES TAKE BOLTSHOTS OUT AND PROMETHEAN VISION. or just take loadouts out of the game BCUS THATS A COD THING NOT HALO! loadouts ruin the equal playing field that every halo besides reach (which was just as bad) had. u all spawn with the same stuff. and its first come first serve. and these stupid player cards as a lobby??? thats not halo. this isnt japan. give us the old halo back.

The maps are very well designed. They did have glitches in them yeah, but they were soon patched. The dedicated servers need to be approved by MS themself. So can't blame 343 for that. again Boltshot and Promethean vision crap. Loadouts isn't a CoD thing, because CoD never invented it. They took it off another game, so there goes that point. Loadouts give us players the ability to play how we want to play. Player cards are an easy way to see someone, look clean and nice also. I have no idea why you involved a different country in here, cause that's kinda racist in a small way if I'm understanding that correctly.

343 you are changing everything that has been known to halo gamers. thats not right. this isnt halo, you act like just bcus you own the rights u can do what YOU think halo should be. but we who have played it since the dawn of halo love halo. YOU have changed it. AND BRING BACK THE TRASH TALKING!! WE WANT KIDS TO RAGE!!! thats another thing halo was founded on "the angry gamer" glitches old school gaming. and u stole all that from us. and you people should not be in control of halo. you make me sick and i hope you do not own halo for long.

Halo 4 is still Halo. Not just because of the sticker on the front of the pack, but how it feels and plays. The mechanics are the same. The story continues well and the gameplay is still how it was, only with new additions. You wanna rage huh? Well that's not anyones problems apart from the players. If people don't wanna speak, then they don't have to. You have NO right to expect them to, or to blame others on how they want to behave on XBL, and beside, it makes you look like a moron blaming someone for not talking when they don't wanna. Halo was never founded on this "the angry gamer" BS. Halo was based on an idea of a few people, which grew to become a large universe full of people's ideas.

Tough luck, they're making Halo until the decide they don't want to anymore.

BRING BUNGIE BACK!!!!

They're never coming back, deal with it.

//End rant destroying post.

• Like 3

Great posts Azaxx. Great point about Halo 2. I love that game, but the online had a lot of issues. Super jumps, people using the standby trick, etc. The noob combo was so overpowered. Like I said, great game, but it definitely had it's share of problems.

I think Halo 4 is great. Yes there are some things wrong with it, but overall a stellar first effort by 343i.

Now in terms of things I don't like that I would change....

-Bring back campaign scoring, I liked it in the last 3 Halo games (3, ODST, Reach).

-I would love theater mode in Spartan Ops and Campaign. I really want to make a clip of me assassinating a watcher.

-The first ten weeks of Spartan Ops should be playable by everyone. It's on the disc and like Firefight should be playable in split screen or over LAN. My 10 year old nephew doesn't have a Gold account (his parents choice and I agree with them), but he is allowed to play Halo. I know he would like to play Spartan Ops.

There are some more obvious problems - online stuff (lag, etc.), but that isn't all the devs fault. In terms of the "cheapness" of some weapons (boltshot), I just need to be smarter when playing online. I was a little unhappy with some of the COD style additions to Multi, but this game still plays like Halo. I also noticed all the "perks" are quickly unlocked and the specializations aren't overpowered. I liked the story, but I also watched all the terminal videos, I am reading the second book of the Forerunner trilogy and I devour most things Halo. I am not sure if that added to my enjoyment of Halo 4, but it might have helped.

Once again, spectacular first effort by 343i and I look forward to Halo 5.

On a side note, as I have been playing through Spartan Ops I have become aware that the A.I. of Infinity (Roland) is unlike the other A.I.'s in Halo. Even Cortana as "human" as she is doesn't act like a 12 year old. During the Ops missions Roland's comments are annoying to say the least. Other A.I.'s (Cortana, Auntie DOT, and Serina from Halo Wars) are condescending at times, but not childish. Also Spartan Miller is a wuss. I like Palmer, Capt. Lasky, Halsey and the other Spartans.