Halo 4 Matchmaking will rely more on skill than Reach

Hᴜᴍᴘsᴛʏʟᴇs

David Ellis spills some info on Halo 4's matching process compared to Reach's.

I'm sure this will give some people a positive feeling since the "Progression System" revealed a few days ago seems very similar to Reach's, which the majority of the Halo world agrees was lackluster and only depended on time played.

I feel as if 343i will drop some info about the skill/ranking system soon!

Link below!

http://www.examiner....an-halo-reach-1

• Like 2

I will be SO let down if they don't have a skill ranking system that goes up and down with wins and losses, respectively. The 1-50 system is what kept me playing halo 3 for years, still play today. If you don't have a goal that takes skill, effort and consistency to achieve, you just have a ranking system like Halo Reach.

• Like 1

I will be SO let down if they don't have a skill ranking system that goes up and down with wins and losses, respectively. The 1-50 system is what kept me playing halo 3 for years, still play today. If you don't have a goal that takes skill, effort and consistency to achieve, you just have a ranking system like Halo Reach.

Well it certainly looks like they've heard our concerns.

I think the main progression system SR1-SR50 will cover all social games so that players can unlock weapons, grenades, loadout slots, etc...but then there will be separate ranked games that utilize 1-50 depending on your skill...

Well it certainly looks like they've heard our concerns.

I think the main progression system SR1-SR50 will cover all social games so that players can unlock weapons, grenades, loadout slots, etc...but then there will be separate ranked games that utilize 1-50 depending on your skill...

If so Halo 4 will be way better

Good to know there's going to be a better chance you'll be matched up accordingly. In Reach I always felt I was playing against players that were just starting, or a good coordinated that would destroy mine. It was rare to play a game where It felt like both teams were evenly matched.

Every post i see says that they wish the ranking system would be purely skill based but i disagree. I think it's a much better idea to keep it exp based. think about it, if you' re rank only increased by how good you are, then the game would not be fun for players who aren't as skilled. at least with a exp system they can still level up and unlock new items etc... Although, I do believe you should rank up faster because of skill. In reach the system was very bad as rank was determined only because of time played. How it should work is you should get a small amount of credits based on game complete and then all of your kills and commendations should be what get you most of your credits

Every post i see says that they wish the ranking system would be purely skill based but i disagree. I think it's a much better idea to keep it exp based. think about it, if you' re rank only increased by how good you are, then the game would not be fun for players who aren't as skilled. at least with a exp system they can still level up and unlock new items etc... Although, I do believe you should rank up faster because of skill. In reach the system was very bad as rank was determined only because of time played. How it should work is you should get a small amount of credits based on game complete and then all of your kills and commendations should be what get you most of your credits

How would it not be fun if they were matched with people of their own skill rather than people of higher skill?

simple sulution... dont played the ranked playlist.. its already confirmed there are playlists that utilized the same exp ranking system that was in reach, so there you get what you want... but competitive players should get what they want as well.. a seperate playlist that utilizes and actual skill lvl ranking system, just to be clear on what i just said, there should be two playlist, social and ranked like in h3... if you dont want to play ranked and earn a "skill" lvl then stick to social and rank up that way, its two completley different things.. i just think its ignorant for someone that doesnt care for skill ranks to think it shouldnt be in the game cause they dont care for it... a lot of people probably agree with me

• Like 3

simple sulution... dont played the ranked playlist.. its already confirmed there are playlists that utilized the same exp ranking system that was in reach, so there you get what you want... but competitive players should get what they want as well.. a seperate playlist that utilizes and actual skill lvl ranking system, just to be clear on what i just said, there should be two playlist, social and ranked like in h3... if you dont want to play ranked and earn a "skill" lvl then stick to social and rank up that way, its two completley different things.. i just think its ignorant for someone that doesnt care for skill ranks to think it shouldnt be in the game cause they dont care for it... a lot of people probably agree with me

I, for one.

I agree with you, i was just saying, there's alot of people who say they want it to be purely skill based.

I get what you're saying but a good ranking system such as the ones in Halo 2 and 3 drives people to be better. I'm not shunning anybody because everybody has to start somewhere, but the people who aren't skilled should simply practice and try to get better if they're getting hammered. Players should be matched based on skill so that they can have a better experience and play against players of similar skill, which is the whole point of Halo 2 and 3 matchmaking and a non-existent factor in Halo Reach (which is a main reason why Reach was a massive failure at motivating people to keep playing).

• Like 1

Something that you and so many more people need to realize is...Just because you lose a game doesn't mean you suck! Even the best playiers in the world have bad games and will lose games! So to say that it needs to be based off of winning and losing is a horrible idea. People would boost and cheat the system.. However, being in the field of Information Security, I know that it's impossible to make something completely un-exploitable. Meaning, if you create something, someone will find a way to manipulate it, some how some way.

Computers can be made very smart, but they are no where near as smart as we are! Only in recent years have the most powerful super computers begun to be able to do the same amount of calculations and processes per second that our own brains can.

Something that you and so many more people need to realize is...Just because you lose a game doesn't mean you suck! Even the best playiers in the world have bad games and will lose games! So to say that it needs to be based off of winning and losing is a horrible idea.

What he was trying to say is that the incentive is what's missing; reaping the benefits of having a higher skill rank than someone else because you put in the determination and skill.