Deadborough

REMkings

Gamertag: REMkings
Map: Deadborough
Gametype: zm_Outbreak
Recommend player count: 10-16 players

Deadborough

By REMkings

A city, shattered. The ever enduring civil war had taken away everything that was once beautiful about this obsolete English town. Many men had died, many others had fled the place when they still had the chance. For a reason unknown to everyone, the civilians had been killing their former brothers and fellows. Little they knew, there was something far more dangerous approaching them in the shadows... Heavily outnumbered and unfortunately trapped in this ruined district of the city, they have to work together this time in order to survive this awakening undead madness!

deadborough9.jpg
Hello Julien and the rest of the THFE crew, and hello loyal THFE subscribers! Welcome to my latest completely finished Infection map, and my first THFE submission using this new 343i-related format! I am here to present to you the map Deadborough.
Deadborough is the name of the infested city district in which the players may roam about and utilize numerous buildings, weapons and other resources to increase their chances of survival. Find your way in the many buildings, each of them offering a unique set up and play style. (I'll cover them in detail elsewhere in this thread.) Or get yourself a seat in either the warthog or the mongoose, and race through the streets, fly over the jumps and rattle over the many bumps and cracks in the road. Indeed, the map offers both vertical and horizontal gameplay: You can climb the many levels of the buildings or drive around in the beloved warthog to slay off the swarming zombies. It's all up to you and your comrades. Teamwork is greatly recommended if you want to live longer or even make it to the end of the round.

deadborough21.jpg
Keythings
I wanted to create a city map with nothing but accessible buildings, while keeping a realistic and ruptered feeling that suited the background story well. I focussed heavily on making the gameplay very vertical, because I haven't seen that being done a lot before, even though it actually makes sense to go to the top of the building and only having to look down. However, don't get me wrong, this map is not campable. Every room has multiple entrances that can't be guarded all at once on your own. You will need other players to help you survive. I also tried to implement fear into this map (though definitely not as much as in LSIALM) and to stimulate the will to make it through unharmed. The placement of the zombie teleporters adds to this greatly, because you never know when they are going to come and where they'll be coming from.

The buildings and strongholds on the map
There are five main buildings in this map, each one of them being accessible to players and containing all kinds of weapons. I'll cover each one of them here.

The Tower
The Tower is by far the tallest building on the map, making it a highly appealing and very useful building to enter. The building offers numerous weapons, such as a sniper and grenade launcher and a few shotguns. It is also one of the two buildings on the map with an accessible roof, and the only one with a flat one. Be careful though: there are two entrances so make sure to have someone watching your back. If you can get a couple of guys with you, this building is one of your best options if you want to stay alive.

deadborough4.jpg

The Office
The Office is the biggest building on the map. Among others you can find a turret and a magnum in this building. The top floor is a great way to keep off the zombies while being able to stay at a distance, making it a safe and well arranged stronghold. However, the tricky interior design still disables camping possibilities and makes you require one or two other players if you want to have a fair chance of survival. This allowed me to use only one entrance to the top floor, while keeping it balanced for both humans and zombies.

deadborough5.jpg

The Flat
The Flat is one of my favorite buildings on this map, because unlike with all of the other buildings on the map, this one allows you to switch back from "window to door" all the time. That is, guarding the staircase for a few seconds, and then walking over to a window or hole in the wall shooting at zombies passing by. It's the second biggest building on the map after the Office, and brings you a couple of weapons like a sniper and some shotguns. There's also a Harry Potter's closet sized somewhat hidden room, which can be a funny spot to take for the Last Man Standing, if he were to be in the Flat.

deadborough6.jpg
The House
The House is mostly used for the fact that you can climb the roof. The building offers a couple of weapons like shotguns and a turret. From the roof you can see most of the map, but you have to keep in mind that zombies can teleport very near to you, so if you want to have time to look around, make sure you always have a buddy guarding you and vice versa. The room inside of the intact part of the house is also worth checking out, especially if you can bring a few shotguns to the battle.

deadborough7.jpg

The Bunker
The Bunker is the least used building on the map, due to it's small size. That's a pity though, because it's actually a very neat building with entertaining gameplay. The Bunker offers several shotguns, and also a grenade launcher and magnum. It's located next to the Office, so you can also communicate with players inside of that building to get yourself some extra support. There are two entrances to the top floor, so make sure you don't forget about the not so obvious one. From the top floor, you can also quickly pick up some assault rifle ammunition from the little shack next to the building.

deadborough8.jpg

Driving the warthog
Using the vehicles on this map, such as the warthog, is definitely fun to do and worth giving a try. There are many, many routes you can take, and every part of the road is drivable in both directions. Make sure to watch your speed though when you drive, because the jumps can be a bit tricky and so can be the turns. (Yes, that's right, the road is so ugly on purpose.)
Here are a few pictures to give you an impression of what the warthog gameplay is like.

deadborough11.jpg

deadborough12.jpg

deadborough13.jpg

Finally, here's a review of the map so you can get an impression of what it looks and plays like! Thanks to Mr Pokephile for featuring my map even before it was finished smile.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=T-CtCLBMQ4A

Thanks for reading this thread, and I hope you'll like this map. It's not the best map I've ever built, I can honestly say that, - because that's probably Lone Souls in a Lost Mine - but it's definitely neat and it will take you quite a lot of games to play before you'll know the locations of all the weapons and strongholds! Have fun!

• Like 2

There are some bumps in the map that annoy me but I don't know if they are with the authentic destruction of the city or just a little lightly done on them. Can you settle my mind by telling me which is it.

I did that on purpose, I wanted the driving to be tricky and challenging. For infantry it can be a bit annoying though so you'll want to avoid those bumps.

(Believe me, I'm too much of a perfectionist to make untidy maps. Although I'll admit that I didn't do as much on it as I would have if it were to be a racetrack.)

Hey REMKings, I remember seeing this map on ForgeHub. Great job on it! The atmosphere is very convincing and the environement is astounding. Even though this is not a linear infection, it really tells a story about the area in which the humans find themselves. As usual, a pretty freaking amazing map. Keep up the great work, you're one of the best infection forgers I've seen!

Hey REMKings, I remember seeing this map on ForgeHub. Great job on it! The atmosphere is very convincing and the environement is astounding. Even though this is not a linear infection, it really tells a story about the area in which the humans find themselves. As usual, a pretty freaking amazing map. Keep up the great work, you're one of the best infection forgers I've seen!

Thanks man, I try. I have a few projects rounding up such as Favela Run, as well as some pretty interesting ideas for Infection maps in Halo 4 (originally for Reach but it ain't worth it anymore), so stay tuned I'd say! =)

As a matter of fact, I'm currently finishing a concept that might just change Linear Infection for good....

• 3 weeks later...