Community Forge Project - Idea Discussion

Sikslik7

Community Forge Project – Idea Discussion

Here we can discuss generic map ideas for possible projects. This is meant to be a “Brain dump,” where we get some ideas onto the table and merge, refine, and discuss those ideas. Basic layouts or sketches on this page are fine, but detailed plans are asked to be postponed until the community wants to pursue further development for the map.

Once an idea or set of ideas becomes popular, and the community decides to pursue designing and forging of the map, a new thread will be formed specifically for the map. There the ideas of the map will be posted and members can begin to true design and then forge the map.

Please, no bashing of other’s ideas. Try to suggest refinements, offer positive criticism, and help the project generate good ideas. You may find many people agree to a set of ideas you do not like all that much. Do not be discouraged. Hopefully, many projects can be carried out simultaneously, and you can find out you would enjoy to partake in.

Basic Suggestions for Generating Ideas:

• Consider player count, teams, and focus gametypes
  • Consider how you want it to play (ie relaxed, social, or competitive)
  • Structures, map flow, tac- jumps, size of map
  • Map theme (ie Covenant shipyard, Human construction site, Forerunner, etc)
  • Other ideas….

Links to How to Forge a Gametype/Feature:

These are meant to help generate some ideas/ get concepts of gametypes or features.

KOTH, Oddball, CTF:

http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/25343-objective-forge-tutorial/

Dominion:

http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/25342-dominion-forge-tutorial/

Extraction:

http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/25349-extraction-forge-tutorial/

Flood:

http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/25346-flood-forge-tutorial/

Grifball, possibly assault:

http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/25347-grifball-forge-tutorial/

Links to Maps in progress:

"Space Station"

http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/28872-cfp-space-station-discussion/ 

More Coming soon

Edited by Sikslik7
  • Like 4

How about some remakes or similar maps (like how Valhalla was to blood gulch) for things like boneyard and condemned?

Also, maps I have been thinking of are maps on space ships, with areas destroyed with hull breaches and low gravity.

And a highlands remake on forge island!

Oh, and one that is similar to a map I half-made on reach on a UNSC aircraft carrier being assembled/disassembled. Was an invasion map but could be adapted

And a missile silo would be interesting?

I say you host lobbies when you feel you can get a group of like 3 or 4 together and then we make maps that we can play in our Play Dates. And then when you post the maps everyone can say their contributions and stuff. I'm always down for whenever people want to get together.

Note: I am a god awful Forger but I love the idea of Forging with the community.

Just a few of my own suggestions/ideas:

1. Competitive, asymmetrical map focused on 1 Flag -CTF and Extraction. Major aspects: ghosts, a scorpian, and high passageways. UNSC buildings/natural mixture.  10-16 players

2. Symmertrical Competitive 4v4 map focusing on oddball and KOTH. 3 main floors, with a plethora of tact-jumps in the middle for easy transition

3. Attempt at making an assault gametype and an urban themed BTB map to go with it.

4. Assymetrical competitive dominion/CTF map with a port theme

5. Semi-Symmetrical 4v4 competitive map, with a Drydock theme. Ship is being repaired and has 3 levels. Additional connections between levels on the outside of the ship, like catwalks.

6. Free-roam flood map similar to Boardwalk in Halo Reach

7. Map inspired by Epitaph from Halo 3

8. small map meant for 2v2's. Forerunner themed

9. Narrows-like KOTH or EXtraction map

• Like 2

Alright, just a quick merger of some ideas, and to get a feel for if we want to start it now.

Semi-competitive assymetrical 4v4 to 6v6 map:

Theme: Space Station, with a ship being built or destroyed attached.

Focal Features:  Zero gravity area similar to Condemned or Anchor 9 between parts of the ship and the station.

Gametypes: Undertermined at present time.

• Like 2

Oh, and I can imagine some nice dominion areas- bridge, hangar, outside, armoury. Dominion could play well. Another possibility is to have a central area for vehicles then have spaces going off

Alright guys, this was released this morningover at Halo Customs. Want to try and give it a go? If yes, throw some ideas out there.

http://halocustoms.com/threads/halo-customs-minigame-competition.9414/

My Ideas:

-Remake a map I made in Halo Reach. Baisc idea was a gladiator arena for four teams or FFA. Everyone had swords, each team (Red, blue, green, gold) had had one mongoose, one hammer, and one needle rifle). Supported Assault, CTF, Oddball, KOTH, Headhunter, stockpile, etc.

- Falling object war: Basic idea: Objects fall onto the middle of an arena, being sped up by downward facing grav lifts. Players have gravity hammers and can pick up random explosive ordinances around the arena. Players can deal no damage, but can be killed by the objects. Objects are made easier to move in the arena by being in a low gravity zone.

Other Ideas?

Edited by Sikslik7

Well, this thread needs more views and posts. C'mon forgers!

aaaab74.jpg

Anyway, with 3 hours and 33 minutes on my hands (in-school study classes, but got bored), I decided to lay out an Objective-based map. It'll have a symmetrical layout in terms of buildings, but should have some land variation (which I assume will be made possible on Ravine or Impact; canvas still undecided).

I've designed a basic layout, with every grid square representing the size of a 2 x 2 Block or 1 x 1 square in a Grid. Although I'd like to to feel very competetive, I do like my fair share of aesthetics on every map I make. So there'll be highways/monorail lines, street lamps, and other sorts of goodies. The layout may still look unclear on paper, but its clear in my mind.

The theme I've decided on, is either a map set in Seattle, or a city inspired by Seattle, Seattle in the future, or something that has to do with Seattle. This is because I'd like to have a tower identical or similar in design to the Seattle Space Needle, as either part of the map or in the background to add to the theme.

Whether I need help actually forging the map or not (I'd love to have some help with any experienced competetive forgers), is still undecided, but I really would appreciate some feedback or suggestions. Thanks guys, hope this thread becomes more popular.

P.S - Keys are provided in image. AES stands for Aesthetic (mostly the highway, haven't included the Space Needle yet). ORD stands for Initial Ordance (weapons undecided) . L1 = Level 1 (floor). L2 = Level 2 (buildings/bridges). The darker spawn point icons are the Initial Spawns (located in the garage, where there'll be a vehicle(s) Vehicles are also up to debate). As I said, the layout is still unfinished and may look unclear, but I'll create a basic layout in forge and upload it to give you guys and idea. The map name: Bastion.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this thread needs more views and posts. C'mon forgers!

aaaab74.jpg

Anyway, with 3 hours and 33 minutes on my hands (in-school study classes, but got bored), I decided to lay out an Objective-based map. It'll have a symmetrical layout in terms of buildings, but should have some land variation (which I assume will be made possible on Ravine or Impact; canvas still undecided).

I've designed a basic layout, with every grid square representing the size of a 2 x 2 Block or 1 x 1 square in a Grid. Although I'd like to to feel very competetive, I do like my fair share of aesthetics on every map I make. So there'll be highways/monorail lines, street lamps, and other sorts of goodies. The layout may still look unclear on paper, but its clear in my mind.

The theme I've decided on, is either a map set in Seattle, or a city inspired by Seattle, Seattle in the future, or something that has to do with Seattle. This is because I'd like to have a tower identical or similar in design to the Seattle Space Needle, as either part of the map or in the background to add to the theme.

Whether I need help actually forging the map or not (I'd love to have some help with any experienced competetive forgers), is still undecided, but I really would appreciate some feedback or suggestions. Thanks guys, hope this thread becomes more popular.

P.S - Keys are provided in image. AES stands for Aesthetic (mostly the highway, haven't included the Space Needle yet). ORD stands for Initial Ordance (weapons undecided) . L1 = Level 1 (floor). L2 = Level 2 (buildings/bridges). The darker spawn point icons are the Initial Spawns (located in the garage, where there'll be a vehicle(s) Vehicles are also up to debate). As I said, the layout is still unfinished and may look unclear, but I'll create a basic layout in forge and upload it to give you guys and idea. The map name: Bastion.

I swear I had responded to this. This is great! I'd love to help build this!

Also, I came up with another idea. A competitive map with the theme of a lumberyard, with tree stumps as jumps and piles of logs scattered around the map. There would be a sawmill and a "storage area" for the lumber.

Also, I came up with another idea. A competitive map with the theme of a lumberyard, with tree stumps as jumps and piles of logs scattered around the map. There would be a sawmill and a "storage area" for the lumber.

That'd be really cool. We should start coming up with some layout-designs and building designs.

• 2 weeks later...

My idea is a hangar themed map with a "Colossus"-like layout that centered around a pelican or another ship.

It'd be somewhat large, so I'm thinking 8-12 players.

Gametypes: Slayer, Oddball, Extraction, maybe more.

Hmmm..... This actually sounds interesting. I know that maps need to be big enough for a certain amount of players. For Example, I once made a KOTH map, It wasnt that bad. Its still in testing, But why not a map that is like a huge pyramid, And your goal is to get to the top and hold out as long as possible until time runs out. Im using the map for a good example because there is a feature at the bottom that practically lets you evade other players, I put a few gravity zones under to make it possible to cross sides quickly and efficiently. But I also put a soft kill boundry to prevent camping. But that is a good example. A map thats easy to move around, and even has its enforcement incase there are campers. I feel like we need more maps to be able to have a lot of fun on, And even simple ones can be fun as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, in order to get this rolling again, I am going to be launching an effort to create a unique set of maps for the forum, that may just end up in a major contest. And the theme for the unique set of maps is:

MultIteam!

(Multiteam for those who can't read rainbow)

That's right, a set of maps dedicated to those who want to fight more than one team at a time! The focus would be on four teams of three, but would be compatible with four teams of four. Meant for both slayer and objective games, and each map would have a different theme and of course, layout. There is lots of space for both symmetrical and asymmetrical designs, so let's get cranking!

• Like 2