Ask The Director.

The Director

Oh, when Pyrrhus of Epirus invaded Apulia or when he defended Tarentum? The Romans lost because Pyrrhus had superior cavalry (and elephants! :o) The battle in Apulia was called the battle of Asculum and the battle for Tarentum was called the battle of Heraclea.

Elephants, exactly. Without them, he would not be able to defeat the romans. Not that he gained such a victory also with their help, though.

Now, at the time of the First Punic War:

Why did Carthage, with such a powerful navy of 130 "Quinquireme", lost against 120 Romans warships (Romans aren't renown for their ability at fighting on the sea)

That is a lame excuse :D

Nou >.>

Hows life? casual question lol

Could be better, could be worse lol

Elephants, exactly. Without them, he would not be able to defeat the romans. Not that he gained such a victory also with their help, though.

Now, at the time of the First Punic War:

Why did Carthage, with such a powerful navy of 130 "Quinquireme", lost against 120 Romans warships (Romans aren't renown for their ability at fighting on the sea)

Because the Romans had developed a little trick. I believe it was called the corvus, and it was basically a bridge that could be placed between ships so that the Romans could board the enemy ships and battle on there. The reason they did this is because they had little chance of victory if they had used traditional naval tactics (ramming and sinking ships), and they were better fighters in CQC than the Carthaginians.
  • Like 1

Nou >.>

Could be better, could be worse lol

Because the Romans had developed a little trick. I believe it was called the corvus, and it was basically a bridge that could be placed between ships so that the Romans could board the enemy ships and battle on there. The reason they did this is because they had little chance of victory if they had used traditional naval tactics (ramming and sinking ships), and they were better fighters in CQC than the Carthaginians.

There is also another device similar that they called the Harpax or something that was strong and more effective because it could be shot at far distance and pull enemy ships in rendering them helpless. It was first introduced in the Battle of... Naulous?

Just thought you'd think it would be interesting to know.....

There is also another device similar that they called the Harpax or something that was strong and more effective because it could be shot at far distance and pull enemy ships in rendering them helpless. It was first introduced in the Battle of... Naulous?

Indeed. The Harpax was a modified version of the Corvus. :D And I think it's Naulocus, Naulokus or Naulochus. lol I know there's a *kuh* in there somewhere xD
  • Like 2

Do you agree that this thread is actually a good source of knowledge for members who know too little? Unlike us superior members. :laughing:

That was the original purpose of this thread lol It's become a bit skewed since the introduction of the award, but there's still a lot of good info in here :) Just gotta sift through the 900 some odd replies. xD

What was it that made the Military to change from Battleships to Destroyers(and sometimes Cruisers)

Destroyers were far more cost effective than Battleships. WWII Destroyers are mere tugboats compared to modern Destroyers, and are far more capable of protecting Carriers than Battleships due to the invention of the guided missile, which gave it the same capabilities as a Battleship, with a bit more underwater firepower (Destroyers were originally made to blow up submarines). Battleships are big and bulky compared to Destroyers, so what they ended up doing was splitting the Battleships normal tasks with Carriers and Destroyers (carriers couldn't be scrapped because of how valuable aircraft can be in an engagement). Now, a fleet of Carriers and Destroyers has similar capabilities to fleets that used to contain battleships. :D

What is the square rout of 0? O.o

It depends on your preference for wording. It's either "undefined", "No solution", or "0". :D

How many galaxy's exist that we know of ?

Roughly between 20 and 25. Most of them are named as well :D But a lot of them (nearly half) are not named. An example of a named Galaxy would be the Andromeda Galaxy. An example of an unnamed one would be M87. :)

Solve this riddle:

In hell there were 12 souls seated around a table with a feast set before them. The only catch was they could not use their hands to eat and they were given spoons ten feet long. These souls were starving. In Heaven there were 12 souls seated around a table with the same feast set before them with the same conditions. However, these 12 souls were fat and merry, laughing with joy........Why?

Exactly how much knowledge do I possess....? *my location should give a hint*

There is no quantifiable way to measure knowledge. The closest way that humanity has developed is the "IQ". However, this does not necessarily measure knowledge as much as it measures a capacity to learn. There is no "I possess exactly 12000 TB of knowledge in my head right now". So, the only true answer to this question is that not even you know how much knowledge you possess.

Director, how is it you stay soooo regular? And how do you keep your abs in such stone hard shape?

Actually, due to a semi-botched appendectomy (I should have done it myself) at the age of 18, I have developed IBS. :( So, I'm really really not regular xD

As for my abs, I undergo a weekly body hardening session that involves two poles that are about 2.5 feet in length (they can be wooden, metal, or plastic, it doesn't really matter) and beat the living crap out of my abdominal muscles. That coupled with exercise = my body. lol

Solve this riddle:

In hell there were 12 souls seated around a table with a feast set before them. The only catch was they could not use their hands to eat and they were given spoons ten feet long. These souls were starving. In Heaven there were 12 souls seated around a table with the same feast set before them with the same conditions. However, these 12 souls were fat and merry, laughing with joy........Why?

Because the people in heaven were feeding each other and the people in hell were to selfish to think of that. Which explains why they were where they were.

Why do people lie?

To avoid telling the truth. Some people cannot face certain truths, or are afraid of what the truth may lead to, so they lie to try to hide the truth.

Who is my Best friend?

From what you've said on the forum so far, Azaxx. However, your best friend is whoever you want it to be. So you could, hypothetically, change best friends by the time you read this. Therefor, kind of an impossible to answer question. lol
  • Like 2