Microsoft announces a free Windows 10 upgrade for all, even pirates

Microsoft announces a free Windows 10 upgrade for all, even pirates

Windows-101.jpg

Yarrharr me maties, today I bring you the blessed news that the Windows 10 upgrade will be available for all. Even for us pirates!

Yarrrrrrrrr

Ealier announced that owners of Windows 7 and 8 will get a free upgrade to Windows 10 this summer and that it will support cross platform gaming (more on that topic here), Microsoft now feels generous and makes the free upgrade available to pirated versions as well. 

Microsoft believes that in due time people will start to see the benefits of a genuine licence over a parites version of the sofstware.

"We are excited to launch Windows 10 this summer. Anyone with a qualified device can upgrade to Window 10, including those with pirated copies of Windows. We believe customers over time will realise the value of properly licensing Windows and we will make it easy for them to move to legitimate copies."

~Microsoft

Don't hesitate though, as the offer will only be available within the first year after the release. This goes for both the owners of the legitimate license and the pirates among us.

Are you a pirate? And will this make you reconsider pirating Windows in the furture like they hope you do?

Let us know down below!

Thank you foor reading!

Source:

Eurogamer

This post has been promoted to an article

• Like 3

Windows 10 for free?! :D See ya Windows 8.1 !! (I had to download Classic Shell to get my start menu back >.> hopefully Microsoft will bring that back. ) Thanks for the great news as always Peanut. :)

Edited by Melody
  • Like 1

Wow sweet this means I can buy that Windows 8 Laptop I want without having to shell out later for W10 :D :D :D it's about time MS made it free to upgrade since Apple has been doing it for years I'm curious if Windows 8 phones will get an upgrade to W10 as well

• Like 1

As said above this has to be some sort of trial version, something temporary like everyone gets access for a month or something like those two.

Its just too good there must be some sort of catch to this.

Im fine with all Windows 7 owners getting an upgrade, that's a real generous offer from Ms.

But giving pirates copies too....

I disagree about giving pirates access to  windows 10 for free they should have to pay to get windows 10 ( or pirate it :D )

Not just get it upfront from Ms.

It takes away its value.

Unless there is a catch.

• Like 1

So... whats the catch? Is it only a trial and I'll have to pay for it later?

There is always a catch to things like this.

As said above this has to be some sort of trial version, something temporary like everyone gets access for a month or something like those two.

Its just too good there must be some sort of catch to this.

Im fine with all Windows 7 owners getting an upgrade, that's a real generous offer from Ms.

But giving pirates copies too....

I disagree about giving pirates access to  windows 10 for free they should have to pay to get windows 10 ( or pirate it :D )

Not just get it upfront from Ms.

It takes away its value.

Unless there is a catch.

You're right to be a lil' suspicious, nothing is free in this world anymore. But as of now it seems to be totally free, no trial or anything. I'll keep my eye on it though and let you know if there appears to be a catch.

Of coarse there is a catch.  What did you think the phrase "to qualified devices" meant?  I can confirm that there is no catch feature wise.  All upgraded versions of Windows 10 will be full feature licensed copies with no set time/feature/trial restrictions.  However, the catch is the qualifying of your device.  Said devices that are qualified are ones with Windows 8, 8.1 or 7 that have been bought or installed within the previous year of the Windows 10 release.  So if you have your copy of any of the windows versions prior to say August of 2014...your out of luck.  Said devices also must strictly meet the required specs.  So no more installing the OS on a device that technically doesn't meet the minimum requirements.

Personally, I don't like this at all.  I'm all for Microsoft wanting to expose the product and claim a greater user base for it's new OS, but the bottom line is, it isn't going to stop pirates.  The whole point of pirating software or games, is either to evaluate a product without making a legitimate monetary purchase without knowing if you like it (rent before buying).  And the other is to either use a pirated copy to avoid paying.  Either way, once the upgrade is over, people will continue to pirate the OS.

I guess my whole quarrel with it is that it seems to me that Microsoft is trying to "entice" you to upgrade.  Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I have yet to see Microsoft do anything or give away anything for free without a motive.  Perhaps I'm just thinking too much about the whole Big Brother aspect and the Xbox One's "always" on feature.

• Like 3

Update....

A Ms spokesperson recently confirmed what Ms have said before was an error and that everyone who obtained a copy of Windows 8 or 7 legally is eligible for a free upgrade. Pirates are not.

So looks the Pirates are going to be upset today..... :)

• Like 1