Ask The Director 2.0

What causes the suction effect of water up a xylem in transpiration?

Let me guess, Steins;Gate? ;)

yes!!! i watched that this summer but i started to rewatch it and love it

this might be a weird question

but if you have watched the more recent pokemon seasons over the last year or two

or atleast know of some of the newer pkemon characters

who do you ship with ash the most from the anime?

may

misty

dawn

iris

or serena?

but if you have watched the more recent pokemon seasons over the last year or two

may

misty

dawn

iris

or serena?

I picked it up towards the end of the summer, but haven't continued it from episode 10. Not enough time and interest.

• Like 1

haloman 2, on 11 Oct 2015 - 11:12 AM, said:
@
yay!!! i stumped the director!!!
too bad i dont get an award for it thoguh

anyways what im trying to ask is what motto do you live by? do you live by not worring about anything?
or do you live by your choice is really who you are rather than your abilities, or vice versa where your abilities define you?

im having a hard time wording this to make it simple

I don't live by a motto, I find them confining. Instead, I believe that every human life should be used to contribute to the advancement of the rest of humanity in whatever way possible, as long as the advancement in one area of humanity does not detract from the advancement in another area. 

For instance, an advancement in technology should not detract from the advancement of morality, and the advancement of morality should not detract from the advancement of technology.

Midnight747, on 11 Oct 2015 - 9:12 PM, said:
What id it is just that the disc drive won't read the discs? When I put them in it says reading for a while then says to open tray. And the sound is different

What kind of disc drive is it? Computer, console? Which kind of computer/console?

UNSC Spartan II, on 12 Oct 2015 - 2:19 PM, said:
What causes the suction effect of water up a xylem in transpiration?

Well, as you may know water molecules are attracted to one another (cohesion) and to surfaces (adhesion) by weak electrical attractions. So as transpiration (the evaporation of water from any part of the plant that's exposed to the air) occurs, it creates a negative pressure that pulls (or sucks) the water up the plant's xylem. This pressure is increased by capillary action. Capillary action is the movement of a liquid on a surface caused by the adhesion between the water and the surface. In the case of a tube, the adhesion is occurring in a closed off area, which also causes some minor suction. 

It's a combination of cohesion, adhesion, transpiration, and capillary action that causes the suction effect.

haloman 2, on 12 Oct 2015 - 2:28 PM, said:

may
misty
dawn
iris
or serena?

Dude. Ash+Misty=4evr
  • Like 1

It's my Xbox 360, the disc drive won't read the disc and it just says open tray after a while. How much would it cost to fix it?

Stop tagging me lol it makes it more difficult to reply and it spams my notifications, as I already follow every reply to this thread.

Anyways, if your Xbox is under warranty then it will probably cost you nothing. If it's not, then roughly $100 USD. You have to contact Microsoft Support to find out for sure though, and you have to have access to your Xbox 360 Serial Number.

• Like 1

Well, as you may know water molecules are attracted to one another (cohesion) and to surfaces (adhesion) by weak electrical attractions. So as transpiration (the evaporation of water from any part of the plant that's exposed to the air) occurs, it creates a negative pressure that pulls (or sucks) the water up the plant's xylem. This pressure is increased by capillary action. Capillary action is the movement of a liquid on a surface caused by the adhesion between the water and the surface. In the case of a tube, the adhesion is occurring in a closed off area, which also causes some minor suction. 

It's a combination of cohesion, adhesion, transpiration, and capillary action that causes the suction effect.

What causes this 'negative pressure' and why is it 'negative'? What's it supposed to mean when pressure is 'negative'?

it gets so much better you have got to watch more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gSUBr1I9Co&spfreload=1

I may get around to that sometime, although I'm watching it subbed.

• Like 1

also i love ash and misty they are my second favorite behind ash and dawn

who is your best smash bros character/favorite character if you dont have a best/main

@ thats cool. i didnt think about you watching sub

i know many people who watch sub

i watch dub because i have a hard time with keeping up with the sub titles but i can do it and i do honestly like sub better i just dont watch sub too much

What causes this 'negative pressure' and why is it 'negative'? What's it supposed to mean when pressure is 'negative'?

Negative pressure is the literal opposite of normal pressure. To create pressure you have to force something into something else. For instance, an air canister. After forcing air into the canister, the air exerts force on the inside of the canister, trying to expand to it's normal 'size'. This force is called pressure.

Negative pressure is the opposite of that, in which something forces something OUT of something else. Mind the word 'force', because if one were to simply open an air canister that would be 'releasing' the pressure. Forcing happens after pressure is normally released and the pressure within a canister equalizes with the pressure outside of the canister. If you were to keep sucking air out of an air canister, the pressure outside would begin to be more than the pressure inside, exerting force on the outside of the canister rather than on the inside.

So if you were to measure the pressure inside said canister at that point, it would be 'negative pressure'.

tl;dr

if a container (where you would be measuring the pressure) is [ ] and force is < then [<>] would be 'positive pressure'.

>[ ]< would be 'negative pressure'.

>[<>]< would be 'neutral/no pressure'.

also i love ash and misty they are my second favorite behind ash and dawn

who is your best smash bros character/favorite character if you dont have a best/main

Starfox.

• Like 1

Negative pressure is the literal opposite of normal pressure. To create pressure you have to force something into something else. For instance, an air canister. After forcing air into the canister, the air exerts force on the inside of the canister, trying to expand to it's normal 'size'. This force is called pressure.

Negative pressure is the opposite of that, in which something forces something OUT of something else. Mind the word 'force', because if one were to simply open an air canister that would be 'releasing' the pressure. Forcing happens after pressure is normally released and the pressure within a canister equalizes with the pressure outside of the canister. If you were to keep sucking air out of an air canister, the pressure outside would begin to be more than the pressure inside, exerting force on the outside of the canister rather than on the inside.

So if you were to measure the pressure inside said canister at that point, it would be 'negative pressure'.

tl;dr

if a container (where you would be measuring the pressure) is [ ] and force is < then [<>] would be 'positive pressure'.

>[ ]< would be 'negative pressure'.

>[<>]< would be 'neutral/no pressure'.

Starfox.

star fox is really good and broke in melee

im getting better with him

what happens after death?

do we go to get judged on our vibes by god and see if we go to heaven or hell?

do we get reincarnated?

or do we go this weird unexplained world where we are kind of alive and get to leave once we get rid of our regrets while fighting god?

or do we simply lye where we died and get to think to ourselves for the rest of eternity unless you are lying next to someone else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb374_uvZxk

• Like 1

star fox is really good and broke in melee

im getting better with him

what happens after death?

do we go to get judged on our vibes by god and see if we go to heaven or hell?

do we get reincarnated?

or do we go this weird unexplained world where we are kind of alive and get to leave once we get rid of our regrets while fighting god?

or do we simply lye where we died and get to think to ourselves for the rest of eternity unless you are lying next to someone else?

The things that make up you fall apart and are absorbed by your environment when you die. So technically speaking, you become a part of the world. Your body is consumed by bacteria and insects, which spread the molecules and atoms that you are made up of far and wide.

As far as what happens to your sentience, well that would be telling.

• Like 1

(1) What happens when Batrachotoxin enters your body? And how fast (long) would it take to kill you?

(2) What makes Batrachotoxin so potent?

(3) What is the molecular structure for Batrachotoxin?

1. Well, Batrachotoxin is both a cardiotoxin and a neurotoxin, but it's generally classified as a neurotoxin. It's primarily been studied in animals (cuz ethics) but in these animals symptoms include fibrillation, arrhythmias, and cardiac failure which leads to death. It would likely take between three and five minutes to kill a human being (assuming the toxin were introduced directly to the blood stream), but we don't know for sure because batrachotoxin poisoning among humans in developed nations is rare to say the least. 

2. It's not particularly potent, relatively speaking. However, the way the toxin works is that it binds itself to sodium channels in nerve and muscle cells, interfering with the electrical signals that usually travel through said channels. An antidote to batrachotoxin hasn't been discovered yet, but we have found out that certain other toxins might act as neutralizing agents. Hypothetically, at least. However, attempting to use a toxin to stop a toxin would only prolong the inevitable, as it is pretty much fighting fire with fire.

3. The molecular formula for batrachotoxin is C31H42N2O6.

• Like 1

(1) What happens when Batrachotoxin enters your body? And how fast (long) would it take to kill you?

(2) What makes Batrachotoxin so potent?

(3) What is the molecular structure for Batrachotoxin?

are you thinking of poisoning food or something?

lol im joking ive just been watching creepy videos and one was about "the man who killed halloween" aka the "candyman"

The things that make up you fall apart and are absorbed by your environment when you die. So technically speaking, you become a part of the world. Your body is consumed by bacteria and insects, which spread the molecules and atoms that you are made up of far and wide.

As far as what happens to your sentience, well that would be telling.

you have probably been asked before but if you could be in any video game what would it be

Can a match box?

Depends.

If you're talking about a person, then yes. If you're talking about a slender piece of wood, cardboard, or other flammable material tipped with a chemical substance that produces fire when rubbed on a rough or chemically prepared surface then no, it can't.

Depends.

If you're talking about a person, then yes. If you're talking about a slender piece of wood, cardboard, or other flammable material tipped with a chemical substance that produces fire when rubbed on a rough or chemically prepared surface then no, it can't.

I'm disappointed in you. The correct answer is "No, but a tin can".

I​ really hate the fact that there are many people who got H5 early.

1.) It's not fair to t​o those who didn't get it early.

2.) Why don't they ha​ve to wait until release like everyone else?

3.) Who would want to spoil the game for themselves by watching others play it? Doesn't that ruin the game for you? Or is that just me?​

• Like 1

I​ really hate the fact that there are many people who got H5 early.

1.) It's not fair to t​o those who didn't get it early.

2.) Why don't they ha​ve to wait until release like everyone else?

3.) Who would want to spoil the game for themselves by watching others play it? Doesn't that ruin the game for you? Or is that just me?​

Some people get early access to things by having 'hook-ups' in the industry, or by being able to advertise the game to a lot of people. The reason for early releases these days is primarily a marketing scheme, with an element of beta testing involved. Due to strict deadlines many companies don't get enough time to do a proper beta for their single player parts of the games, so early releases gives them a heads-up for things they'll have to hot-patch after the full release. That's where you get 'day 1 patches' from, and the ones to blame are the publishers rather than the devs.

Those who want to spoil the game for themselves simply don't have the self-control (or desire) to wait until they can actually get their hands on the game. The thing is, there are hardly any stories out there that aren't predictable anymore, so it becomes more about the actual experience than the story with a lot of gamers. 

• Like 2

Could a predator that kills pests be called an 'organic pesticide'? E.g: Hedgehog, Ladybug

Farmers who want to be a bit sarcastic and sound smarter have a tendency to refer to ladybugs as organic pesticides, so yes. Prior to the 'all natural' social movement that's actually what organic pesticides were referring to, animals that disrupted pest populations without being pests themselves.

• Like 1

So about this Inheritor award. I understand that if we were previously handed an award, but then they were replaced with the Inheritor award. Is there a list anywhere of the removed awards? I went from 52 to 44 (it did change to 45 today) but I can't remember what awards were removed. Also why were they removed? (if you can answer that question)