Ask The Director 2.0

How old is the average life span of The Directors? Seeing that it's your birthday I figured it's a good question. You're one year closer to death! Yay

What is your favourite music band? (Don't know why I'm asking, just curious.)

It's rather difficult to narrow it down to only one band, but my current top 3 are Disturbed, Mudvayne, and Korn.

Can ions in an ionic compound separate from the compound? E.g. Can the Na+ and OH- ions in NaOH solution separate from the neutral compound of sodium hydroxide? If yes, how would they break off into their ionic state and leave the compound? What would cause it?

Yes they can be separated from their original compound. 

All one needs to do is put said ionic compound into water that has the proper pH balance. The water, being 'polar', will pull the ions out of the ionic compound and break the ionic bonds of the compound thereby dissolving said compound.

This happens every time you put sugar into coffee or tea.

Yes they can be separated from their original compound. 

All one needs to do is put said ionic compound into water that has the proper pH balance. The water, being 'polar', will pull the ions out of the ionic compound and break the ionic bonds of the compound thereby dissolving said compound.

This happens every time you put sugar into coffee or tea.

I'm afraid sugar is a covalent compound, not an ionic one. What would determine the 'proper' balance of the water's pH? Does water being polar separate the ionic compound because the + and - sides of the water molecules pull the ionic compound's ions apart?

• Like 1

I'm afraid sugar is a covalent compound, not an ionic one. What would determine the 'proper' balance of the water's pH? Does water being polar separate the ionic compound because the + and - sides of the water molecules pull the ionic compound's ions apart?

Yeah, I was pretty tired when I wrote that. I actually meant to write about salt instead of sugar. 

But yes, the water being polar separates the ionic compound because the + of the hydrogen and the - of the oxygen pulls the ionic bonds apart, eventually breaking them. The 'proper' balance of the water's pH is determined by how much the water has already dissolved. The pH should be 7, but the more that is dissolved the higher the pH will be, making the water less useful for breaking ionic bonds.

Granted, there comes a point where you can barely even call it water and would have to actually call it paste instead, but still.

Yeah, I was pretty tired when I wrote that. I actually meant to write about salt instead of sugar. 

But yes, the water being polar separates the ionic compound because the + of the hydrogen and the - of the oxygen pulls the ionic bonds apart, eventually breaking them. The 'proper' balance of the water's pH is determined by how much the water has already dissolved. The pH should be 7, but the more that is dissolved the higher the pH will be, making the water less useful for breaking ionic bonds.

Granted, there comes a point where you can barely even call it water and would have to actually call it paste instead, but still.

Why is the Hydrogen positively charged and Oxygen negatively charged when water is a covalent compound? Basically, why is the water polar? I see, as more Na dissolves into the water its pH increases due to Sodium being an alkali metal. Why is the water better at separating at a neutral pH?

Why is the Hydrogen positively charged and Oxygen negatively charged when water is a covalent compound? Basically, why is the water polar? I see, as more Na dissolves into the water its pH increases due to Sodium being an alkali metal. Why is the water better at separating at a neutral pH?

It's polar because of it's shape. The hydrogen atoms have one electron each, which they share with the oxygen atom. Because they share those electrons with the oxygen atom, the electrons tend to stay close to the oxygen atom and the outside of the hydrogen atom tends to be positively charged. The oxygen atom has eight electrons. Most of those tend to stay away from the hydrogen atoms, and cause the outside of the oxygen atom to have a negative charge. Now, water is not linear like CO2 is. The hydrogen atoms are both on the same side of the water molecule, so that the charge is not evenly distributed. This is what makes it polar.

The water is better at separating at a neutral pH because that is when the water is less 'cluttered'. The more things that the molecules are pulling on the less strength it has to pull.

Whats your favorite hobby

Video games, by far.

Why does Gabriel's Horn, a topological shape, have an infinite surface area and finite volume? ;)

Easy, Torricelli's trumpet doesn't exist physically. It only exists in mathematics and theory.

• Like 1

I remember you talking about creating a game and writing supporting lore for it a few months ago. How is that project coming along?

It's coming along nicely, but it was book first and then game. I'm about halfway done with the first book and have the outline of the supporting lore to that book, or the 'prequel' if you'd rather call it that.

What do I do when I really like this guy, but I'm too shy to tell him how I really feel about him? We known each other for a while and built up a stable relationship, he wants to go out me with me but I could never accept. I've never been so confused before about dating, I really like him, and when I'm with him I get nervous. He's really sweet and nice to me, but for some reason I can't build up the courage to tell him how I really feel. Any suggestions?

When atoms share electrons, they essentially gain one or more of them. Why don't all atoms become anions when sharing electrons?

I may not be understanding your question, but at face value I'd say because some atoms become cations.

Basically, when electrons are shared between atoms the atoms involved become ions. When an ion gains electrons and a negative charge it's an anion. When they lose electrons and gain a positive charge they become cations.

What do I do when I really like this guy, but I'm too shy to tell him how I really feel about him? We known each other for a while and built up a stable relationship, he wants to go out me with me but I could never accept. I've never been so confused before about dating, I really like him, and when I'm with him I get nervous. He's really sweet and nice to me, but for some reason I can't build up the courage to tell him how I really feel. Any suggestions?

Well, the first thing you're going to need to do to figure out WHY you feel so shy around him. 

Are you shy because of him or because of the situation? Is it the man himself, or the commitment involved in dating him? One possible explanation is that if you guys have a stable friendship at the moment then your shyness might be because of that. Other guys, the ones you don't know very well, the relationships with them are not as real as one with this guy would be. So it may very well be that you're afraid that if you two date and break up, it will hurt worse than any other break-up you've been through.

There are a couple of other things that might be causing your shyness, but you're the one who is going to have to find out exactly what it is. Once you figure it out then it's a simple matter to overcome it.

Given the fact that we are technically looking back in time when looking at the sun (or any light in space for that matter), We are seeing roughly 8 minutes into the past looking at the sun, if we had a telescope strong enough to look far enough away to equal 13.8 billion years in the past, couldn't we technically see the Big Bang occur?

And if so what do you think would happen to religion in general?

Well, the first thing you're going to need to do to figure out WHY you feel so shy around him. 

Are you shy because of him or because of the situation? Is it the man himself, or the commitment involved in dating him? One possible explanation is that if you guys have a stable friendship at the moment then your shyness might be because of that. Other guys, the ones you don't know very well, the relationships with them are not as real as one with this guy would be. So it may very well be that you're afraid that if you two date and break up, it will hurt worse than any other break-up you've been through.

There are a couple of other things that might be causing your shyness, but you're the one who is going to have to find out exactly what it is. Once you figure it out then it's a simple matter to overcome it.

I'm shy being around him, especially in public. But it doesn't have to do with him I'm just scared about what people will think. In my hometown I have a lot of people that know me, so I guess I'm really shy about what they might think. I don't know how to explain it to him without hurting his feelings. It's more me then him when it comes to being shy, he's really out-going so he doesn't quite understand. :/

Given the fact that we are technically looking back in time when looking at the sun (or any light in space for that matter), We are seeing roughly 8 minutes into the past looking at the sun, if we had a telescope strong enough to look far enough away to equal 13.8 billion years in the past, couldn't we technically see the Big Bang occur?

And if so what do you think would happen to religion in general?

Theoretically, yes. However in practice we've been finding that it's extremely difficult to see galaxies that are that far away. And that's galaxies, not individual stars.

If we did actually see it though, I doubt much would happen with religion. They'll simply start saying that god created the universe with the big bang.

I'm shy being around him, especially in public. But it doesn't have to do with him I'm just scared about what people will think. In my hometown I have a lot of people that know me, so I guess I'm really shy about what they might think. I don't know how to explain it to him without hurting his feelings. It's more me then him when it comes to being shy, he's really out-going so he doesn't quite understand. :/

Why would people think of you in a negative way if you were to date him?

Why would people think of you in a negative way if you were to date him?

They wouldn't I think.. It's kinda complicated because I was raised differently than him and my family wants me to find a guy who meets their standards, as silly as it sounds I'm embarrassed to confront my family about it because I have a feeling of how they are going to react. My parents were always over protective so this is just another thing they have against me dating someone who I like. The whole public thing ties into the situation because some of the people who know me are also my parents friends who would likely tell my mother that I'm dating someone. Not saying I rely on my parents permission because I'm grown, but it's a feeling that I'm uneasy with.

They wouldn't I think.. It's kinda complicated because I was raised differently than him and my family wants me to find a guy who meets their standards, as silly as it sounds I'm embarrassed to confront my family about it because I have a feeling of how they are going to react. My parents were always over protective so this is just another thing they have against me dating someone who I like. The whole public thing ties into the situation because some of the people who know me are also my parents friends who would likely tell my mother that I'm dating someone. Not saying I rely on my parents permission because I'm grown, but it's a feeling that I'm uneasy with.

That's understandable. 

Well, there's no need to have a confrontation if one can be avoided. I suggest sitting down with your parents and discussing it with them. Be clear in your feelings on the matter and don't leave anything unsaid. Tell them what you like about him, what they might not like about him, and then ask them what they think. Meaning ask their opinions, not their permission. They may surprise you, but even if they don't it simplifies the matter.

If they say they're fine with it, then it's all fine and dandy. If they say they're not okay with it, then you no longer have to just go off of a feeling you have about what they may think. At that point, it's then a black or white decision rather than some murky grays. You can either tell them that, while you value their opinion (which you have just demonstrated), you have decided to date this guy regardless of how they feel on the matter and that you hope that they are able to change their mind about him in the future, or you can simply give up on dating him. The latter of which is obviously the easy choice, but the former may be worth the extra effort.

It's likely going to be difficult, but it is doable. All you gotta do is ask yourself if it's worth it or not.

• Like 1