Ask The Director 2.0

Question from my friend: How does one improve common sense? 

First, you have to understand what common sense is. 

It's the basic ability to perceive, understand, and judge things that is common to nearly all people. Something that is 'common sense' is a bit of knowledge that can be reasonably expected to be known without the need for debate or explanation.

For instance, objects that are hot can burn you. Sharp implements can cut things. 

To improve upon your 'common sense' you have to ask questions and seek knowledge. As with any field of knowledge, if you are lacking in common sense it's best to find someone with a great deal of it to learn from. When you cannot do that, seek knowledge by looking things up. The more basic knowledge you obtain the more you can extrapolate using said knowledge, and the more 'common sense' you have. 

I'm going to need you to elaborate a little on this one lol

Uhh, like poke someone in a playful manner with your finger? or Push someone in a playful manner with you hands?

Also, since I had to repeat the question again I would also like to know why the Sonic Adventure level involving Amy in Twinkle Park, why was that robot so creepy? ;-;

Uhh, like poke someone in a playful manner with your finger? or Push someone in a playful manner with you hands?

Also, since I had to repeat the question again I would also like to know why the Sonic Adventure level involving Amy in Twinkle Park, why was that robot so creepy? ;-;

I'd rather push than poke, because my fingers are jabby so my pokes hurt.

The robot just wants hugs Melody. It wants hugs but it doesn't know how.

I don't know if I have asked this before (I'm too lazy to look back), but what is the best cheap capture card out there, that is not cheap. (Cheap as in moneys, and cheap as in durability and how well it works). That and this same question but different Item: Microphone.

I don't know if I have asked this before (I'm too lazy to look back), but what is the best cheap capture card out there, that is not cheap. (Cheap as in moneys, and cheap as in durability and how well it works). That and this same question but different Item: Microphone.

For which system are you wanting to record audio and visual for? Xbone, 360, PS3, PS4, or PC?

The robot just wants hugs Melody. It wants hugs but it doesn't know how.

*fancy robot voice* "Does not compute".. >.<

1. Is a Zebra white with black stripes? or Black with white stripes?

2. How come no one makes bubblegum that can actually keep it flavor for long periods of time?

3. If a guy wanted to take me to the movies, but we only just met, how would I go about trying to feel comfortable? (Strange question yes, I know.)

*fancy robot voice* "Does not compute".. >.<

1. Is a Zebra white with black stripes? or Black with white stripes?

2. How come no one makes bubblegum that can actually keep it flavor for long periods of time?

3. If a guy wanted to take me to the movies, but we only just met, how would I go about trying to feel comfortable? (Strange question yes, I know.)

1. Black with white stripes.

2. Because if a stick of gum lasted you all day then a pack of six sticks would last you six days, meaning they'd lose quite a bit of money in the long run.

3. Ask if he'd rather do dinner first. That way you guys get a chance to sit and talk about yourselves and get to know each other a bit better before the movie.

360 and PC.

Well, I think the cheapest capture card for 360 would probably be the EasyCap USB 2.0 Video Capture Adapter, but it isn't anywhere near user friendly or the best quality of capture card. It's usually less than $10 USD though.

As far as a mic/headset goes, my best recommendation would be to check on Amazon. If you can find one that works for both 360 and PC for under $25, then that's the one you should get. There are some really decent cheap headsets out there but most of those run at around $10 plus S&H and are either exclusively for the X360 or the PC. 

Is there any other reason than "insecurities" for when someone gets really offended when you  make a small joke at their expense, while they have no issue with making jokes at your expense all day?

(I realized the one guy on my crew that constantly makes jokes and whatnot is really easy to order around, but will be really offended if you make a joke about him, even if it's half-cooked.)

Is there any other reason than "insecurities" for when someone gets really offended when you  make a small joke at their expense, while they have no issue with making jokes at your expense all day?

(I realized the one guy on my crew that constantly makes jokes and whatnot is really easy to order around, but will be really offended if you make a joke about him, even if it's half-cooked.)

It's completely dependent on the person, but yes. It could be a sensitive subject that you just so happened to stumble upon, they could be getting offended at how sloppy your joke was, or your joke could have simply been very mean. 

It's completely dependent on the person, but yes. It could be a sensitive subject that you just so happened to stumble upon, they could be getting offended at how sloppy your joke was, or your joke could have simply been very mean. 

Elaboration:

So this guy at my work seems to be kinda one of those muscle-heads. When it comes to the subject of fornication, he's all about it (even if it's just to break the silence or something, he'll start talking about this girl he's been talking to and all the dirty details about it); He's gone so far as to showing everyone the "homemade video" of "relations" with some girl, telling us "Oh, don't look at me, look at her."

The other guys on my crew have made it a point to act homosexual just to make him as uncomfortable as possible (because it's so incredulously easy to do so), just for laughs.

When it came to him showing the "homebrew video," I bothered to actually mention to him that "He's trying too hard." And since then, I've noticed that he's a really easy person to order around (as in "Do this; Do that,"), he rarely comes up with any ideas, but enjoys when I humor them, even if I know they'll fail. When I shoot down an idea of his, he just takes it in stride. But a joke at his expense usually ends with a flurry of curse words, but ten minutes later, he's making jokes at other's expense with barely a toss given in regard (if the phrase makes sense at all).

I've had to show him how to do a job, and told him how to do it multiple times, yet he still acts as if he's got the entire thing covered. In example, the rope ladder: The turning gear pump is far too heavy to have just one rung on, and when he discovered this, he was asking for help. I come up, I grab the slack of rope with one hand, and ensure I've got distance with the other. When I throw another rung on the ladder on, he looks at me like I just punted a baby through the goal posts. Naturally, it seems as if he's forgotten it and handled  it on his own after the fact, but I'd still like to have a bit more insight, if possible. I'd imagine a guy like him wouldn't like a girl like me being able to know how to do the job better than him...

(But in awful honesty, all I've heard about him before he was transferred here was that "He's a sweet boy.. a really sweet boy... and about as smart as a sack of bricks.")

Elaboration:

So this guy at my work seems to be kinda one of those muscle-heads. When it comes to the subject of fornication, he's all about it (even if it's just to break the silence or something, he'll start talking about this girl he's been talking to and all the dirty details about it); He's gone so far as to showing everyone the "homemade video" of "relations" with some girl, telling us "Oh, don't look at me, look at her."

The other guys on my crew have made it a point to act homosexual just to make him as uncomfortable as possible (because it's so incredulously easy to do so), just for laughs.

When it came to him showing the "homebrew video," I bothered to actually mention to him that "He's trying too hard." And since then, I've noticed that he's a really easy person to order around (as in "Do this; Do that,"), he rarely comes up with any ideas, but enjoys when I humor them, even if I know they'll fail. When I shoot down an idea of his, he just takes it in stride. But a joke at his expense usually ends with a flurry of curse words, but ten minutes later, he's making jokes at other's expense with barely a toss given in regard (if the phrase makes sense at all).

I've had to show him how to do a job, and told him how to do it multiple times, yet he still acts as if he's got the entire thing covered. In example, the rope ladder: The turning gear pump is far too heavy to have just one rung on, and when he discovered this, he was asking for help. I come up, I grab the slack of rope with one hand, and ensure I've got distance with the other. When I throw another rung on the ladder on, he looks at me like I just punted a baby through the goal posts. Naturally, it seems as if he's forgotten it and handled  it on his own after the fact, but I'd still like to have a bit more insight, if possible. I'd imagine a guy like him wouldn't like a girl like me being able to know how to do the job better than him...

(But in awful honesty, all I've heard about him before he was transferred here was that "He's a sweet boy.. a really sweet boy... and about as smart as a sack of bricks.")

It sounds as if he is a beta-type personality trying to be an alpha-type personality.

Alpha-type personalities are characterized by confidence and aggression. They have a tendency to have lower expectations of others and as such have difficulty in following people that they do not respect. They also greatly enjoy being in charge, to the point of stupidity sometimes.

Beta-type personalities are characterized by insecurities and passiveness. They have a tendency to be socially awkward and will follow the lead of nearly anyone who displays confidence, regardless of their level of respect for that person. They enjoy attention but don't have the confidence to gain it by normal means and will 'act out' in strange and unseemly ways. 

A beta-type personality that is trying to be an alpha-type personality is someone who will try to overcome their shyness and insecurities and as a result will usually overcompensate while doing so. They see the behavior of alpha-type personalities and try to 'one up' them, usually in very strange and awkward ways.

The evidence of this is located in the fact that he is willing to do as you say without being a jerk about it (lack of true aggression), the fact that he cannot take a joke about himself in stride (lack of self-confidence), and the fact that other people describe him as a 'sweet boy'. That descriptor is generally used for beta-type personalities unless the person doing the describing is a parent.

Specifically, the dating one.

Well, actually the federal law regarding that is four years, but a lot of the states don't have age differential laws. For instance, if you live in California and engage in an adult relationship with someone who is 17 and you are over 18, you will go to jail. If you are 21 or older though, you'll be charged with a felony and your sentence will be quite a bit longer.

The 'three year law' that you're talking about only applies in Alaska, Arkansas, and Louisiana. 

The reason for any outrage regarding these laws is that people believe that teenagers shouldn't be in adult relationships at all. These laws allow people living in certain states to bypass any criminal actions against them for what most believe is a crime.

How exactly does the universe die? What would be left?

There is over a dozen theories regarding this, and I'm not going to explain them all because I'd be here for about a month. Each one of them has some merit to it, so instead I'll give you the names of some of them and allow you to research these theories on your own.

The Big Crunch/Bounce

The Vacuum Metastability Event

The Big Rip 

The Heat Death of the Universe via Entropy or Black Holes (aka The Big Freeze)

There are also theories that have merit that claim our universe will not die, or even if it does die it won't matter because there are multiple universes.

• Like 2

Australia is so far south, but it's so dang hot and dangerous. Why?

Australia actually has varying climates due to it's size. The northern tips of Australia are Equatorial, just south of that is tropical, south of that is a mix of desert and grasslands, an eastern chunk of it is subtropical, and the southernmost tips are temperate. The reasons for it's climates vary, but it's 'hot' primarily due to it's proximity to the equator. There are other factors as well, but that's the main one.

The reason that it's dangerous is because of the many species of fauna that live in Australia that have adapted to survive the harsh conditions and each other. A lot of the venomous predators are 'inactive', meaning that they can go extended periods of time without eating. So when they DO get an opportunity to eat something they have to make it count. Which is why they are so venomous.

That being said though, Australia isn't more or less dangerous than any other continent. While it has some of the most deadly animals in the world, statistically more deaths via wildlife happen in other countries than they do in Australia.

• Like 1

I don't know what is used to record videos for YouTube, but what's a good one that isn't so expensive for PC?

There are a couple 'free' ones, but those are primarily PUP loaders that don't work very well. The risk to your computer generally outweighs any benefit these 'free' capture softwares have.

Fraps and Movavi are cheap and decent though. They aren't the best, of course, but they do the job.

Fraps is $37 USD and Movavi is $50 USD normally, but Movavi is currently having a sale and offering their Game Capture for $30 USD.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was just wondering. Would it be stupid tp send a feiend request to a girl on facebook? Well the girl I am talking about already has a boyfriend, and I may have told her how I felt about her several months ago.

I would like your wise wisdom of wise wisdom wise wisdom wisdom.

I was just wondering. Would it be stupid tp send a feiend request to a girl on facebook? Well the girl I am talking about already has a boyfriend, and I may have told her how I felt about her several months ago.

I would like your wise wisdom of wise wisdom wise wisdom wisdom.

She would be likely to take it in the wrong way. If you two are close enough, you can always ask her if she'd mind if you added her on facebook. If you two aren't close, then it's best to not.