Maestro

Before I went to bed last night, I saw some talk in the shoutbox about 343 City. And being the lurker that I tend to be every now and then, I didn't talk at all and let the shouts fly briefly until I decided to go to bed. I pondered how such a city would be laid out...

...then, an idea popped into my head. Why not make it in Simcity 4? So sure enough, I'm going to! But I don't want to run the show by myself. That's why I want YOU to choose your favourite out of these three locations I found in the region I've chosen:

Location 1:

post-71046-0-72625000-1391364644_thumb.png

Location 1 is more water than land, with several islands scattered across the bay. There are no mountains blocking the way of development, only a few lumps that would be a minor inconvenience, so the only limiting factor would be the water.

post-71046-0-31928500-1391364695.png

This is the area surrounding Location 1. There are more islands around it, so a sprawling metropolis is a possibility in this area. If anything, it would be more likely to have a bunch of highrises than any other location.

Location 2:

post-71046-0-79318600-1391364663_thumb.png

Location 2 has more land, but is also a very lumpy location. There are reasonably sized hills dotting the landscape, and are by no means gently rolling. There's a small mountain to the north, which would be a suitable perch for moderators. :P

post-71046-0-98397900-1391364857.png

This is the area surrounding Location 2. The farther away from the water you go, the more hilly terrain you run into and the less likely a bustling metropolis can be built from the centre. That's not to say that it's impossible to build a metropolis; it would need a bit more planning.

Location 3:

post-71046-0-86724000-1391364673_thumb.png

If natural beauty is your thing, then this location is for you. Location 3 is the toughest area to build on out of the three, with two massive peaks and a bay running in the middle. Constructing a city with a population over- I'd estimate 40,000- within the city limits would be a very difficult task. But then again, to accurately reflect the number of members who sign in on a regular basis, a city would only need a population of ~1,000 at most.

post-71046-0-72206400-1391364687.png

As you can see, Location 3 is on the northern edge of the entire region. Expanding would be required to attain a combined population of over 100,000, as nearby locations all provide some flat land, but not enough to construct massive cities.

So yeah, pick your favourite spot! Voting ends in ONE WEEK.

EDIT: As for the lack of trees in each location, it's tough to see what the land entails with them there. So once a spot is chosen, I will do some gardening and then construction will begin. Also, regardless of location, 343 City will have at least one neighbouring city, as cities do not function alone very well in Simcity 4.

I'll be updating how construction is going whenever I can. But between work and looking at post-secondary, I'll make sure to update at least once a week.

• Like 3

Location 2 in my opinion seems the best stylized for what the Forums really are, the Staff perched on one side watching over the masses, sometimes crossing over to lay down the law, and the members, not aware of what's going on on Island 2, as they are prohibited to leave their own island until they advance.

• Like 1

UPDATE

First off, I'd like to thank everyone who has voted and replied to this thread so far! I'm pumped to start the groundbreaking and getting everything underway.

Thus far, I've been gathering a whole bunch of custom content, mainly small residential, commercial, and civic buildings to prevent an overflow of dreadful Maxis buildings from popping up everywhere like weeds. I've got a reasonable collection of taller buildings as well, but I don't need to worry about those nearly as much since little buildings pop up far more frequently than skyscrapers.

Enrte-Aug25141234243153.png

So many duplicated buildings and one-way streets everywhere...! Also this was a screenshot of one of my cities built over five years ago, when I didn't know how to lay out a city to save my life.

I've also been looking at getting some bridges as well, since every location I've chosen will need at least one bridge. The issue with bridges, however, is that they need a specific length or shore height in order to look presentable. I've found as much Halo-related content as well, what little there is. Regardless, you will recognize one piece, and maybe a couple more if you paid a lot of attention to ODST. If 343 City becomes a bustling metropolis, you may start to see some tall buildings from cities around the world.

Which brings me to my second point. I've been looking extensively at each location and have started developing some plans on how a city can be laid out to fully utilize what the land has to offer and where to set up main thoroughfares. I've been giving Location 3 more attention because that seems to be the favourite location so far and also requires the most planning of all locations to make it look half-decent. When you build on relatively steep slopes in Simcity 4, it produces hideous and insanely steep cliffsides.

And finally...

@ Yoshi: You can get a Sim named after you, but chances are he won't look anything like you or be able to navigate NAM (it's a transport mod) road systems. Darn pathfinding issues and just sheer Sim stupidity are the downfall of every "My Sim" inhabitant you add into any city. I'll name a building after you instead. :D

@ Da Baws: Funny that you mention getting bridges in Location 3... custom bridges are most likely to work on its shores.

@ Ranger447: I thought the force that binds the universe was gravity!

@ Halo5follower: Uh... which one?

@ Eddy: Heh, symbolism. Location 1 would also be a similar idea, would it not?

@ Magical Love: Your hometown's also the source for many towers on Simtropolis. There's an entire team dedicated to recreating buildings from Hong Kong for use in Simcity 4. :D

@ adam91: Hopefully I can get the population in Location 3 to grow enough so that large buildings start appearing at the base of the mountain.

• Like 1

And the polls are now closed! Thanks to everyone who voted! With a final score of 10-8-6, dragging behind in the polls until yesterday, the winning location is...

post-71046-0-79318600-1391364663.png

post-71046-0-98397900-1391364857.png

LOCATION TWO!

Before groundbreaking begins, I have to resolve a glitch regarding sidewalk textures... for some reason, red cobblestone shows up in front of high wealth residential and commercial buildings, and the rest of the sidewalks show up as regular grey sidewalks. I also need to get a few more small buildings, and then 343 City will be ready to go!

• Like 2

Here, listen to some music while you read! Also, read the spoiler.

DISCLAIMER: All of the statements said by members below are based on their respective roles in the forum, their interests, how active they are on the forum, and/or their usernames or profile pictures. Any jokes and pretty much everything they say are not meant to be taken seriously or offend anyone and in no way reflect their actual personality. This is all in good fun, so let me know in a PM if you don't like what you see. Otherwise, if you find it funny, give me a sign! :D

343i City Founded, Members and Moderators Celebrate!

Construction on 343i City is finally underway! After a week of city council meticulously planning the layout of 343i City and the future populace voting on a location, groundbreaking of various properties around the city and one major motorway has taken place.

post-71046-0-56329400-1392081222_thumb.png

With a total population of 142 residents, and the establishment of a small clinic, police precinct, and fire station, as well as an elementary and high school, citizens are optimistic about the newborn city's future.

"Mayor Maestro seems like a pretty stand-up guy," a green member who wished to remain anonymous stated. "We can trust a guy like him, with over ten years of city building experience under his belt, to guide this city to prosperity. I'm glad I voted for him in that mayoral election that totally happened on February 29 back in Cyphern's election of '0π. Been voting for him ever since then."

Many in the town has been singing praises, including the upper ranks of the local precinct. "I'm confident in our police force's abilities. Our team is a well-rounded group that upholds the laws in which Governor Twam has set forth," the Chief of Police, RedStarRocket91, told the 343 Bulletin. "As 343i City grows, I firmly believe that our team can keep the crime rate low and maintain the peace as long as Mayor Maestro builds precincts accordingly. But for the time being, the Stig doesn't even have to worry about people peeling out on his roads!" He also remarked on the town's firefighting squad. "Our firefighters are the best of the best. They've put out many flame wars before they even start!"

A sailor by the name of Edward Kenway also expressed his opinion of 343i City's location. "Arr, there be plenty o' fish and whales in Bungie Bay fer me mateys an' I to catch!" However, his opinion was not wholly positive. "There be some wicked creatures lurkin' in the deep. Some call the location the Trench of the Banned. Ye never know what sort o' critters ye be reelin' in when ye weigh anchor thar!"

However, local healthcare workers are worried. Local pharmacist Vitamin PWN expressed his concerns over the town's ability to get much needed medication. "With the lack of infrastructure in place, it'll take weeks to bring in a measly bottle of aspirin. I've heard time and time again from DoctorB77 that he doesn't want to operate on anyone using mushrooms collected from people's bathmats or random shrubbery purchased from people who say 'ni'. Headaches have to be treated in ceremonies led by questionable folks in robes on the shore near the Trench of the Banned, and don't get me started on nausea." Vitamin PWN hopes that an airport is constructed in the near future so cargo aircraft can bring in precious medicine much faster than the town's ferry boats.

DoctorB77 could not be reached for comment.

post-71046-0-38530300-1392086508.png

Bnus commented on the town's current lack of communication equipment. "I couldn't help but notice that as soon as I finished hauling my stuff into my house and checked my cellphone, I didn't have a signal. I'm glad I have my ham radio and know how to communicate using smoke signals!"

Overall, the town is hopeful for the future. Although everyone has their own concerns, the Mayor has said that they will be addressed as they become prevalent. He also went on to say that the positions of superintendent, fire chief, and utilities advisor are open.

• Like 3

Here, listen to some music while you read! Also, read the spoiler.

DISCLAIMER: All of the statements said by members below are based on their respective roles in the forum, their interests, how active they are on the forum, and/or their usernames or profile pictures. Any jokes and pretty much everything they say are not meant to be taken seriously or offend anyone and in no way reflect their actual personality. This is all in good fun, so let me know in a PM if you don't like what you see. Otherwise, if you find it funny, give me a sign!  :D

343i City Founded, Members and Moderators Celebrate!

Construction on 343i City is finally underway! After a week of city council meticulously planning the layout of 343i City and the future populace voting on a location, groundbreaking of various properties around the city and one major motorway has taken place.

attachicon.gif 343i City-Apr. 16, 001392077032.png

With a total population of 142 residents, and the establishment of a small clinic, police precinct, and fire station, as well as an elementary and high school, citizens are optimistic about the newborn city's future.

"Mayor Maestro seems like a pretty stand-up guy," a green member who wished to remain anonymous stated. "We can trust a guy like him, with over ten years of city building experience under his belt, to guide this city to prosperity. I'm glad I voted for him in that mayoral election that totally happened on February 29 back in Cyphern's election of '0π. Been voting for him ever since then."

Many in the town has been singing praises, including the upper ranks of the local precinct. "I'm confident in our police force's abilities. Our team is a well-rounded group that upholds the laws in which Governor Twam has set forth," the Chief of Police, RedStarRocket91, told the 343 Bulletin. "As 343i City grows, I firmly believe that our team can keep the crime rate low and maintain the peace as long as Mayor Maestro builds precincts accordingly. But for the time being, the Stig doesn't even have to worry about people peeling out on his roads!" He also remarked on the town's firefighting squad. "Our firefighters are the best of the best. They've put out many flame wars before they even start!"

A sailor by the name of Edward Kenway also expressed his opinion of 343i City's location. "Arr, there be plenty o' fish and whales in Bungie Bay fer me mateys an' I to catch!" His opinion was not wholly positive. "There be some wicked creatures lurkin' in the deep. Some call the location the Trench of the Banned. Ye never know what sort o' critters ye be reelin' in when ye weigh anchor thar!"

However, local healthcare workers are worried. Local pharmacist Vitamin PWN expressed his concerns over the town's ability to get much needed medication. "With the lack of infrastructure in place, it'll take weeks to bring in a measly bottle of aspirin. I've heard time and time again from DoctorB77 that he doesn't want to operate on anyone using mushrooms collected from people's bathmats or random shrubbery purchased from people who say 'ni'. Headaches have to be treated in ceremonies led by questionable folks in robes on the shore near the Trench of the Banned, and don't get me started on nausea." Vitamin PWN hopes that an airport is constructed in the near future so cargo aircraft can bring in precious medicine much faster than the town's ferry boats.

DoctorB77 could not be reached for comment.

Bnus commented on the town's current lack of communication equipment. "I couldn't help but notice that as soon as I finished hauling my stuff into my house and checked my cellphone, I didn't have a signal. I'm glad I have my ham radio and know how to communicate using smoke signals!"

Overall, the town is hopeful for the future. Although everyone has their own concerns, the Mayor has said that they will be addressed as they become prevalent. He also went on to say that the positions of superintendent, fire chief, and utilities advisor are open.

I'm the local pharmacist? I love it! :lol: and i love the Monty Pyton and the Holy Grail reference  ;)

Edited by Vitamin PWN
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Same thing as the previous newspaper volume, interviews with members shown below are fictional and are not meant to be taken seriously.

Warning! Challenger Approaching!

Citizens in 343i City were stunned earlier this week when smoke and clouds of dust wafted off of a peninsula to the south of the city. Upon further investigation and after a voyage across the water, it appears that our fair city is not alone in this region.

"I didn't know what to think of it," Church, a local constable, stated. "In all my years on this planet, I never thought I'd see anything like it. The people in this newly found town called it 'Something'... and their style of building is completely erratic." Church cited their usage of infrastructure and civic buildings which are capable of supporting far more than the few residents that live there. "Why build a hospital- I think it was a hospital- which can hold a few thousand people when the town itself doesn't even have a thousand people? It's ridiculous. We don't even have a thousand people in 343i City!"

Zandril, a local construction foreman, commented on the young town's lack of aesthetic appeal. "[The residents] have no idea how to make their community look nice."

post-71046-0-34810900-1393445949_thumb.png

The town, named Something, was founded within the past week according to witnesses. It has a population of 117 people, and has constructed a ferry port to link up to 343i City.

"Every single person there appeared to be no older than thirteen years old," JXZAW, a member of the crew which explored Something, told the 343 Bulletin. "Their speech was composed of nothing but what sounds like curse words in our language! Why I bet if they spoke English, they'd be really annoying to hear on a microphone while playing online games," he explained, referring to their high-pitched voices. "When I said 'hello' to one, they said 'u n00b lolz', followed by a string of expletives. If these people are our neighbours, then I want to live in the Trench of the Banned."

We tried to interview residents of Something; all attempts to breach the language barrier failed.

Mayor Maestro hopes that trade can begin with Something and that both cities can work together for a better future.

Mayor Maestro Indicates Incoming Industries

Mayor Maestro proposed on Tuesday that a flatland on the northern side of Bungie Bay will be the site of a new industrial park.

post-71046-0-97688700-1393444741.png

"Due to the remoteness of the area and the need for jobs in 343i City, this new industrial park will be a godsend for our people. The city cannot prosper if half of our people are unemployed," he said. "I'd place the park closer to the city itself, but any pollution created can wreak havoc on the pristine environment surrounding the city limits."

The location in question is southeast of Moderator Mountain. Initial observations of the land show that a ferry port can be built on the southern banks, although supporting a shipyard will require careful modification of the land.

post-71046-0-24097900-1393444762_thumb.png

post-71046-0-11889300-1393444771_thumb.png

"The population of 343i City doubled over the last month. We now have 289 people living here. Before you know it, we'll have a thousand. Then ten thousand. Then a hundred thousand! We need to prepare ahead of time to ensure that growth is smooth and the city can handle it. This industrial park would be a huge step forward," Mayor Maestro stated.

The environmental impact of the industrial park has some residents worried. Local resident Hippie warned city council that tampering with the fragile environment near Moderator Mountain could have catastrophic results. "Building a shipyard at the mouth of Bungie Bay could disrupt fish spawning cycles. I would hate to see the futures of our mariners be thrown away without a second thought. Don't even get me started on what the air pollution could do." He also said that if this proposal were to pass, careful planning is required to negate any negative environmental effects. "If we're going to build factories, we need trees to absorb the gases that come out of those smoke stacks. Better yet, we shouldn't build factories at all!" He said with a laugh. "The site is home to an ancient forest. Some of those trees standing there right now are over 500 years old!"

post-71046-0-27450900-1393444788_thumb.png

Due to the scope and the sensitive nature of this proposal, the mayor has invited residents to come to city council's open house at the beginning of March to ask any questions regarding the proposal.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Again, same thing as before. Interviews from members are fictional and are not meant to be taken seriously, blah blah blah... if you want to make an appearance, or don't want to, let me know!

Also I have decided to update this every two weeks, give or take a day.

AND the current population is ~450.

Menagerie of Construction Underway

The city has been filled with the sounds of power tools running and cement trucks driving to and fro as construction of new buildings hits an all-time high.

"It may be noisy, but it's wonderful... absolutely wonderful. It shows that despite our small size, 343i City has made a name for itself, and people want to move here and join our fantastic community!" Mayor Maestro stated with a laugh. "City council has been busy drafting up plans for new roads and new civic institutions so our city doesn't hit any snags as we grow. We worry about the future now so we don't have to worry about it in the future." The mayor was not willing to disclose his plans in full detail, but he mentioned that a new police precinct will be built within the next year.

post-71046-0-35886900-1394562625_thumb.png

Among the newly constructed buildings is the city's first college, the Zoolander School for Adults Who Can't Read Good. Its ribbon-cutting ceremony was met with thunderous applause from secondary school graduates at the corner of Jiralhanae Street and Marine Avenue.

The dean of the college, aptly named the Director, expressed his gratitude at the ceremony. "I commend the community for the college's warm welcome. Though the city may be small, I predict that this college will become a prosperous university with thousands of students from all corners of the nation. I can envision it now, thousands of students will pin their hopes and dreams on my university... and all of the residents will beg me for admittance!" He said, followed by a hearty cackle.

post-71046-0-49351300-1394562648_thumb.png

A few mansions have also been constructed, occupying large amounts of real estate. While many newcomers in the community are welcomed with open arms, residents are leery of these mansions.

"I don't trust them one bit," Connor Kenway told the 343 Bulletin. "There were a few middle-class houses on the land that those mansions occupy now. If they're willing to bulldoze houses of people poorer than them to plop down their fancy estates, then I say they shouldn't be here." He also noted their secrecy and lack of interaction with the rest of the community. "I peered over the fence one time. I didn't see any lights on or any movement inside. What are they doing in those mansions?"

post-71046-0-15234400-1394562615_thumb.png

post-71046-0-25339800-1394562637_thumb.png

JL remarked on the newly built mansions. "How'd they get that much money, anyways? And who let them pave over the houses that were already there? If you ask me, I think these guys might be crime bosses or mobsters... involved in the mafia somehow. Think about it: they build massive estates and then they're never seen in the light of day. If that isn't suspicious at all, I don't know what is."

When asked about the situation, Chief of Police RedStarRocket91 said, "As long as the previous owners of the homes on that land were compensated fairly for their land and given time to move out, the construction of estates that size does not break any laws. Residents will simply have to push their suspicions aside."

post-71046-0-74107500-1394562603_thumb.png

Residents who have been affected were given first priority to move into the new Oliver Drive neighbourhood, just south of South Shore Boulevard, linking James Avenue and Leonard Avenue.

• Like 5