Xbox One Hoax Being Warned by Microsoft

Dog

af-xboxman-20131206151241945598-620x349.

There’s a forum post making the rounds on the internet making big promises about Microsoft's MSFT +0.94% Xbox One — by going into the system and enabling developer tools, it says, you can make your console backwards compatible (capable of playing Xbox 360 games). This isn’t true, and playing around with those tools could render your system bricked.

Microsoft’s Larry “Major Nelson” Hyrb tweets:

“To be clear there is no way to make your Xbox One backwards compatible & performing steps to attempt this could make your console inoperable.”

Microsoft eventually wants every Xbox One to have the same functionality as a developer kit, and that’s why some of these tools are already accessible on the console. But the feature is far from ready, so trying to use it can put your console into an endless boot loop. Both Microsoft and Sony have hinted that they may make classic Xbox 360 and Ps3 games available via streaming, but right now the system architecture is too different to allow the consoles to play old games themselves.

Microsoft doled out free games to anyone who got a bricked console at retail, but you can bet it won’t be quite so generous with people trying to hack their consoles. As a rule of thumb, these sorts of things are best avoided unless you’re absolutely sure of what you’re doing, or willing to risk a broken machine.

Check Out My Last Post

Source-Forbes

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Backwards compatibility doesn't really bother me anyway. Why are SO many people concerned about the lack of backwards compatibility on the new consoles? I'm keeping my 360 even when I get a One. Lack of backwards compatibility is nothing new. Many of Nintendo's consoles eliminated backwards compatibility but that didn't stop them from selling millions.

Backwards compatibility doesn't really bother me anyway. Why are SO many people concerned about the lack of backwards compatibility on the new consoles? I'm keeping my 360 even when I get a One. Lack of backwards compatibility is nothing new. Many of Nintendo's consoles eliminated backwards compatibility but that didn't stop them from selling millions.

Because people who have a large library of games don't want them to just be rendered useless when the new one comes. They want the freedom to be able to play them on the new console without having to plug in their old 360 (which they may not own anymore).

Because people who have a large library of games don't want them to just be rendered useless when the new one comes. They want the freedom to be able to play them on the new console without having to plug in their old 360 (which they may not own anymore).

If the Xbox One had backwards compatibility the price would be much higher. People are struggling enough paying the 500 dollars. It would be nice if MS made a backwards compatible version in the future though. 

I know but the majority is multiplayer. Would you like to play the same missions again and again about 80 times? Would you like to play the same modes about 5000 times?

Maybe not 80 times but I certainly would like to a second or third time. Games like Bioshock and Condemned offer very linear gameplay with no multiplayer. However I do think there is a reason to wanna replay them and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for backwards compatability.

Maybe not 80 times but I certainly would like to a second or third time. Games like Bioshock and Condemned offer very linear gameplay with no multiplayer. However I do think there is a reason to wanna replay them and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for backwards compatability.

It's still not a big deal without it. When a console comes out, the company want's you to move on.

I wouldn't want backwards compatibility solely for playing my existing game library from current gen, on a new console. But more for getting minor graphics and audio improvements, better performance and higher quality gameplay by playing them on a superior machine. That's why I would want it.

• 2 weeks later...

I preferably enjoy seeing 360 games work on the Xbox one. But I know what Microsoft is getting at and the architecture of the Xbox one is not made for Xbox 360 games. So thanks for the post letting me know that the Xbox one will not play 360 games.