Do you think Halo 5 will have MLG?

Ghost Recon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope it gets picked up by MLG again (as long as the gameplay is competitive). 

Halo 4 was competitive(UNDER THE RIGHT SETTINGS I REPEATED THIS AT LEAST 5 TIMES IN THIS THREAD ALREADY)

CoD is more popular so until it looses its spotlight. Then no.

Bnus Halo 4 was hardly comptive at all yes it had the playlist yes it had this and that but compared to Halo 3 and 2 is was not at all

For example : you cannot get rid of sprint

another example : custom loadouts

another example : The jet pack is ruins map control

:)

Ahhhh sigh sigh sigh uninformed you are.

Nevermind Ranger I am done explaining with you. Whenever you get the time go check out what custom game settings are. 

Anyways no point in discussing this anymore we went wayyyyyyyyy off topic and we already answered the question of the topic. Lets just leave it be Halo 5 won't have MLG.

Ahhhh sigh sigh sigh uninformed you are.

Nevermind Ranger I am done explaining with you. Whenever you get the time go check out what custom game settings are. 

Anyways no point in discussing this anymore we went wayyyyyyyyy off topic and we already answered the question of the topic. Lets just leave it be Halo 5 won't have MLG.

Technically, no one knows this yet. We can only assume. I agree that it's unlikely for the next Halo game to have MLG for the several reasons stated above.

Halo 4 can be a competitive game, it depends on how it's played. Everyone sees it differently. Overall, I agree that previous Halo games had a more competitive multiplayer.

MLG always made the games better for me. I remember in the days of H3 I was literally search games of MLG all day long on summer breaks and rack up ridiculous amounts of EXP. At the time, I was focused on becoming a professional like a lot of other players at the time, which changed after Reach (with yet again MOST players.)

As far as MLG goes, if H5 is a great game, I don't see why it wouldn't. I'm not bashing on the latest release because I actually really enjoy it. I also see that H4 just isn't really super competitive material though.

As far as my opinion goes, I think the main reason Halo 4 didn't do so well, is because for a couple different reasons. 

• Before Halo 4 release was all the codes for XP. Then within a short time of H4's release, there also was the free XP weekends, and all the extra XP that you could earn. 

• Everyone beat the campaign, then proceeded to use up their XP codes, along with all the other jackpots of XP

• So everyone rushed to the finish line, got to the top rank, and by then, COD Black Ops 2 was just getting ready to hit the store shelves. So I think personally, the bad launch was combined with the fact that the ranking system was easy to reach the top, the un-polishing of the game was probably the icing on the cake. 

So I am just guessing thats probably what made the game a flop to some people. Once they beat the campaign, raced to the finish line, then jumped ship to the next best thing that was coming out shortly after Halo 4's release. I really dont think it had anything to do with MLG being there or not. 

PS- anytime I hear or read something about poor map control, I automatically think of spawn trapping. Which is very poor sportsmanship. I would much rather be given the opportunity to fight back, rather than spend my entire MM game feel like a sitting duck. But I do not have any problems with the idea of killing an AFK. Thats their fault for not being at the controller. I couldn't blame the other team, nor my own team if I was not at my controller in the middle of a game. 

But alas, there are just sometimes you can not find the time to exit the game to go after something important that might have happened. 

PS- half of that sounded better in my head than what actually came out when I typed it. So I am sorry if some of it doesn't make any sense. lol

• Like 1

PS- anytime I hear or read something about poor map control, I automatically think of spawn trapping. Which is very poor sportsmanship. I would much rather be given the opportunity to fight back, rather than spend my entire MM game feel like a sitting duck. But I do not have any problems with the idea of killing an AFK. Thats their fault for not being at the controller. I couldn't blame the other team, nor my own team if I was not at my controller in the middle of a game. 

'Very poor sportsmanship'? I'd have to disagree. 2 teams join a game. If one can set up a spawn trap, then chances are they are simply the better team. In a normal game of sports, a better team isn't going to play crappier just to make is 'fairer' because THAT would be poor sportsmanship. If you are in a spawn trap, you ARE given the opportunity to fight back - with enough skill and teamwork a team can break a spawntrap.  

It is poorer sportsmanship to retreat for no reason other than "We're winning" than it is to spawn trap, IMHO.

Going back on topic, I honestly think it's a 50/50 chance. I wouldn't be surprised if MLG decided to do stuff on Halo 5, but that will heavily depend on the game itself. It would need to not have it's population to droop immediately after the first week of play, and it's default setting need to show that it can be a heavily competitivie game like Halo 3. Maps cannot be as crazy as the ones in Halo 4, weapons need to be balanced and useful.

I would love to have it back.

• Like 1

Going back on topic, I honestly think it's a 50/50 chance. I wouldn't be surprised if MLG decided to do stuff on Halo 5, but that will heavily depend on the game itself. It would need to not have it's population to droop immediately after the first week of play, and it's default setting need to show that it can be a heavily competitivie game like Halo 3. Maps cannot be as crazy as the ones in Halo 4, weapons need to be balanced and useful.

I would love to have it back.

This thread is all about going off topic.

Anyways me too I would love to see MLG support return but with CoD still as the FPS king chances are still slim. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love watching MLG for Halo I always thought it was really cool but now all that's on the live stream is CoD! I really prefer Halo to CoD but I suppose that's just the world we live in now... :'(

To be honest I think that they will make Halo 5 awesome enough to be MLG worthy again. Competing with CoD, and seeing it take over has to be one thing that drives Mircrosoft in my opinion. I hope it does bring back Halo MLG for reals doe(:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

AGL and PGL have contracted several iconic competitive Halo players, which basically secured their overhaul of the competitive scene. MLG has been gone from Halo since early 2012 during their inevitable 'grudge match' with 343. It's safe to say that if MLG does somehow get involved again, it will be to continue a tradition and will certainly not attract any bigger names. In essence this supposition sounds good, but I don't see any involvement in the near future; and also depends entirely on what crowd Halo 5 caters to. 

I tried playing with MLG players on Reach. Aside from their awesome grenade skills I didn't see much difference from normal games. Aside from the fact that every kill results to a cussing player. 

By the time reach came around MLG wasn't exactly sticking too closely with Halo anyways and player count was much lower as well. Nowadays the people who play MLG are really mostly kids fooling themselves.

Back in the earlier days of Reach, the MLG playlist was one of true and utter skill and teamwork moreso than Arena. Everybody had a mic; everybody was a good player. Never once would you see a k/d too high or too low at the endgame; each player do roughly the same because these people are just all at that level.

Halo 3's MLG playlist was even more so like this, except a level 5 or so in the MLG playlist would wreck in a Team Slayer, or Swat, or really any other ranked playlist. To be a 50 in the MLG playlist equates to being the best of all players.

A fact that you cannot argue against.

I am gonna take part in this just for kicks.

Its a tough say if 343 qill actually put it back in the gaming system for Halo. The fans of Halo have complained alot  about MLG not being in Halo 4, and we all know that 343 listens to there fans more often than not. We will just have to wait and see.

• 3 weeks later...

I was never really a fan of MLG, in any game. It basically just puts the worlds biggest try hards under the same roof so they can celebrate or yell at others. Besides, CoD is bound to be more of an MLG game than Halo is.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing Halo for many years (since Halo 2). I've thoroughly enjoyed most of the campaigns, but the thing that usually keeps me playing the game up until the next Halos release is the multiplayer. Now I'll admit I didn't absolutely hate Halo 4 but I do think 343 dropped the ball on alot of things, and is the reason why many "professional gaming circuits" like MLG haven't pick up the game. Personally, I love playing Halo competitively it's one of my favorite aspects about the game, and I love MLG and playing it's competitive game variations. While I don't disagree that Halo 4 was a competitive game, I do feel as though it was lacking certain aspects that would make it thrive on the market, as well as the professional circuit. I hope they (343i) correct all of their past mistakes in Halo 5 and Halo: The Master Chief Collection. I also hope they can make it a well rounded a fun game for all players casual or competitive. I see that they're releasing a multiplayer beta which is great start IMO. 

• Like 1

1: Why necro this thread?

2: MLG was and is an abomination. The idea behind it was amazing, unfortunately humans do what humans do best. Screw it all up. People decided it was the be-all-end-all of competitive gaming. If it weren't MLG settings then you were a "noob" which didn't deserve to exist much less play the game. Any other settings are "casual" and even that word was turned into something dirty. Once other sites got onto the market they developed their own settings but the attitude was still the same: "if you don't play by these specific settings then you should crawl in a hole and die."

Should there be a place for high level competition? Absolutely. Should it have 90% of the game being unused? Why not. Can people handle such a setting? Absolutely not.

I really wish there could be a high level competition area but unfortunately people are too damn stupid to grasp the concept of different forms of competition. More to the point people don't really understand the use of the term "competitive". What most people are asking for is "fair competition" where everybody has equal chance. Well guess what, not a single game in history has that. Human elements are completely random so no game is ever "fair". You can minimize things by forcing people to use specific maps, settings and weapons but that only goes so far. What gets even better is trying to decide who's version of "fair" is the one to be used. Personally I think it is fair if I have a fully automatic incineration cannon with bottomless clip and cant hurt myself while everybody else is stuck with plasma pistols that have enough charge for 1 shot. To me that is fair. Doesn't make it fair from other peoples perspective.

Reality is we all have our own perspectives on what is fair and what isn't. Even with MLG settings and even numbers on both teams people will call it "unfair". Example: "Well you guys have *insert gamertag here* on your team so its unfair!"

My personal perspective on competitive gaming? Playing competitive is all about what you bring to the table. If you want to be competitive then you will be, settings be damned. It is a choice. If you choose not to be competitive then that is your problem, don't come crying to people saying it isn't competitive when you choose not to play it in such a manor. 

I am probably rambling by now but it is what it is.

Need a shorter version? Here you go:

MLG can rot in a gutter and stay away from Halo and every other game out there from my perspective.

Also if it does I wonder how many players will play it, since MLG went down hill in Halo 4.

I honestly think the MCC is gonna bring alot of comeptitive players back, because most of their favorite Halos we're Halo 2 & 3. So if the Halo 5 beta does well I feel like it will influence many of them to buy the game, so hopefully one of the gaming circuits picks it up or something.