Nintendo 2DS coming out ?

2ds1.jpg

Recently Nintendo announced the 2DS and no this is not a very late April fools joke. The 2DSis a entry level handheld system that is a the same as the 3DS just without the 3D and the clam like design of the 3DS and yes 3DS games work on the 2DS the system will launch at 130 dollars on October 12. According to Reggie from Nintendo ( imagine a standard 3DS laid all the way flat and with depth slider all the way down )

link to IGN on this

my thoughts on this

this seems kind of pointless as on the 3DS you can just turn the 3D off but I guess it is sort of cheaper than a 3DS so if you want a 3DS but cannot afford one get this. :thumbsup:

Edited by Caboose the Ace
  • Like 4

I think it's a good idea by Nintendo, it'll secure more sales from little kids who couldn't have it because of the 3D functionality. Also I love the design :thumbup:

The 3DS does seems to be aimed at a younger audience so along with this price point it is a good idea I guess :thumbsup:

If I am honest. I don't see the point in what Nintendo has been trying to do. Nintendo Wii-U did not do that great... and now they are re-launching the 3DS... without 3D? AND to top it off, the system doesn't even close in half for better portability? (look at design in pictures, no hinges or anything)

Nintendo: "Let's build a NEW DS that does not have the 3D options, and does not fold down for portability! I think it is a great idea!"

Nintendo Employee: "I totally agree! Everyone wants to downgrade their 3DS anyways! Lets waist MORE money on a system that likely no one will buy!"

Nintendo: "Awesome! It is a done deal! We will get the ball rolling on this one!"

I hope they change their minds on this....

• Like 1

If I am honest. I don't see the point in what Nintendo has been trying to do. Nintendo Wii-U did not do that great... and now they are re-launching the 3DS... without 3D? AND to top it off, the system doesn't even close in half for better portability? (look at design in pictures, no hinges or anything)

Nintendo: "Let's build a NEW DS that does not have the 3D options, and does not fold down for portability! I think it is a great idea!"

Nintendo Employee: "I totally agree! Everyone wants to downgrade their 3DS anyways! Lets waist MORE money on a system that likely no one will buy!"

Nintendo: "Awesome! It is a done deal! We will get the ball rolling on this one!"

I hope they change their minds on this....

TM keep in mind who the bulk of people who will be buying this, little kids. Little kids could care less about portability cause they've always got it in their hands. I feel like this device is for the kids who can't/won't use the 3D but want to play the new 3DS games. So this device allows the younger gamers to upgrade from their DS or DSi and play the new games.

Keep in mind 3D isn't the only "good" feature in the 3DS. The 3DS allows for things not possible with older DS's like:

An expansion pack for FPS games (for reference its called "Circle Pad Pro.")

Friends Lists for the device itself rather than the game.

Easier internet connectivity for online play along with greater online stability.

All these (and there are probably more) are great features that don't require the 3D and don't forget the best part about the 2DS...its only $130! That's how much I paid for my first DS Lite!

I think the design looks very clean and easy to control, I did enjoy the old design of flipping the top part unto the bottom to close it though, but this has just been announced, so they may make changes, as for Nintendo as a whole, the genre of games they make really isn't exactly up my personal alley, for example, the PS VITA is now releasing Borderlands 2 to it, so, I can play a shooter game that I enjoy, with my friends, anywhere I want, while Nintendo is similar, it doesn't have the action/horror/shooter games that I as a gamer really sink my teeth into, so I probably won't be getting this. Thanks for the news though, :thumbup:

Considering it's $40 cheaper, and most people I know don't use the 3d feature, this is a smart idea, not to mention with the new Pokemon around the corner, this is a smart move by Nintendo.

All it really boils down to is are you willing to pay a bit extra to be able to close your DS?

TM keep in mind who the bulk of people who will be buying this, little kids. Little kids could care less about portability cause they've always got it in their hands. I feel like this device is for the kids who can't/won't use the 3D but want to play the new 3DS games. So this device allows the younger gamers to upgrade from their DS or DSi and play the new games.

Keep in mind 3D isn't the only "good" feature in the 3DS. The 3DS allows for things not possible with older DS's like:

An expansion pack for FPS games (for reference its called "Circle Pad Pro.")

Friends Lists for the device itself rather than the game.

Easier internet connectivity for online play along with greater online stability.

All these (and there are probably more) are great features that don't require the 3D and don't forget the best part about the 2DS...its only $130! That's how much I paid for my first DS Lite!

(If they are upgrading from a Nintendo DS to this new console, they get everything you said, plus...)

Better graphics cards, and speakers, as well as audio/sound chips.

More RAM, GPU, CPU, and other technical stuff to beef up its power levels for bigger, longer, and better looking/sounding games.

Better battery and faster charge times.

Infrared and wireless connectivity enhancements.

Better front and rear cameras.

(That's everything the original and XL 3DS comes with. The only NEW thing the 2DS adds to that list is a new design and a cheaper price point. But it takes away the 3D effect).

It just seems like a fail to me. I mean why not pay 40 more to have a DS that closes has the capability of 3D or not... But whatever. Even their new commercial for it seems silly.

Well the 3DS isn't really aimed towards you. The goal is to sell it to younger kids (3D hurts their eyes and to people who can't afford $40 for the 3DS). I agree that it'silly but it isn't a fail. I can see the 2ds doing very well.

Well the 3DS isn't really aimed towards you. The goal is to sell it to younger kids (3D hurts their eyes and to people who can't afford $40 for the 3DS). I agree that it'silly but it isn't a fail. I can see the 2ds doing very well.

The 2ds a great idea for younger kids.

1 It is cheaper so if you were thinking of buying a 3ds but didn't have the money get a 2ds.

2 As you said 3d hurts you're eyes ( nufff said )

3 As with laptop 3ds and stuff that you can close down soon enough the screen wears down but not with a 2ds because it cannot close down ( no clam like design )

Also watch this video he makes a very good point about it.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Looks like an Xbox One controller that got squashed during the manufacturing process, lol.

To be honest, I have no idea where they're going with this. Its just a chunkier, less portable, non-3D system.

I mean, frankly I just don't understand. Nintendo really need to lift their game if they want to compete with the other consoles. 

Ha ha ha Nintendo, great joke right? Right?...

...right?

Seriously, this was never mean to be made, we got the flip-flop DS for a reason, it saves space. This is just a waste of space, it's a remake of the GBA for goodness sake.
"Oh look Nintendo board, it doesn't have 3DS, it's good for the kids!!"
No, just very much no. The 3DS has 3D and 2D, you can just switch off the 3D which a lot of people do.

"Also, it's $40 cheaper!!"

This doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, sure, you may be able to buy another game with it, but you can't use the new DS games to their best potential, because they're made 3D for a reason.

"This will fit into every child's hands perfectly!! :DDDDD"

Insta no, this is not even the slightest big ergonomic. It's worse than the big GBA which was generally disliked because of it's large design compared to the GBA:SP. This console is massive to hold and press all of the buttons in quick succession when needed. Feel like pressing X to do something, then press the Home button or P-off? Hm, I don't think it's gonna be that quick. This is pretty much the worst console I've ever seen Nintendo make, not getting one, not recommending one, and not ever going to like this junk.

Even the Wii, Kinect or PS Move, being all movement based is better than this rubbish.

Ha ha ha Nintendo, great joke right? Right?...

...right?

Seriously, this was never mean to be made, we got the flip-flop DS for a reason, it saves space. This is just a waste of space, it's a remake of the GBA for goodness sake.

"Oh look Nintendo board, it doesn't have 3DS, it's good for the kids!!"

No, just very much no. The 3DS has 3D and 2D, you can just switch off the 3D which a lot of people do.

"Also, it's $40 cheaper!!"

This doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, sure, you may be able to buy another game with it, but you can't use the new DS games to their best potential, because they're made 3D for a reason.

"This will fit into every child's hands perfectly!! :DDDDD"

Insta no, this is not even the slightest big ergonomic. It's worse than the big GBA which was generally disliked because of it's large design compared to the GBA:SP. This console is massive to hold and press all of the buttons in quick succession when needed. Feel like pressing X to do something, then press the Home button or P-off? Hm, I don't think it's gonna be that quick. This is pretty much the worst console I've ever seen Nintendo make, not getting one, not recommending one, and not ever going to like this junk.

Even the Wii, Kinect or PS Move, being all movement based is better than this rubbish.

I guess you don't own a 3DS then do you?

The 3D switch can sometimes be turned on without you noticing(The 3D switch is very sensitive and I don't remember something in the settings that lets you turn off 3D completely) Plus the $40 price difference is a big deal for people like me. It took me an extra 6 months to raise the $50 I needed for my 3DS. 

Nintendo knows what they're doing(sometimes) and this is a smart move. My little cousin can finally play 3DS games now because of this(she is only 6 so her parents don't let her get the 3DS but I let her use mine whenever I visited and she held it her hands with no problems I also have a protective case on the my 3DS too). Now if I may add that the games are meant to be played 2D or 3D. I play all my games 2D and it doesn't ruin the experience for me. 

So please don't be so violent towards Nintendo. I respect your opinion but remember the 2DS isn't going to affect your life negatively in any way. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...