No visible ranking system? seriously?

wookieeassassin

I enjoy the game, I really do, but without a visible ranking system the online experience is really suffering. halo 2 and 3 had it and had ranked and social playlists to boot. If you wanted to mess around or relax you would play social. Ranked playlists were fornpeoppe who were mostly serious and cared about their rank. It was much rarer to have people farming achievements/commendations in ranked because they wanted to win. Halo 4's high console competitor for online is black ops 2 and it has a ranking system.. halo had one 8 years ago, but decided to get rid of it. I did not like reach as much for the same reason.

It was much rarer to have people farming achievements/commendations in ranked because they wanted to win.

Actually, 14 out of the original 15 multiplayer achievements in Halo 3 required you to play in a ranked playlist.

- MVP: Earn the MVP in any ranked playlist (Online).

- Two for One: Score a Double Kill with a single spartan laser shot in a ranked free for all playlist (Online).

- Triple Kill: Kill 3 enemies within 4 seconds of one another in a ranked free for all playlist (Online).

- Overkill: Kill 4 enemies within 4 seconds of one another in a ranked free for all playlist (Online).

- Lee R Wilson Memorial: Score 5 grenade sticks in any ranked free for all playlist (Online).

- Killing Frenzy: Kill 10 enemies without dying in any ranked free for all playlist (Online).

- Steppin' Razor: Score a Triple Kill with the sword in a ranked free for all playlist (Online).

- Mongoose Mowdown: Splatter an enemy with the mongoose in a ranked free for all playlist (Online).

- Up Close and Personal: Kill 5 enemies by melee or assassination in a ranked free for all playlist (Online).

- Fear the Pink Mist: Kill 5 enemies with the needler in a ranked free for all playlist or in campaign.

- Headshot Honcho: Kill 10 enemies with headshots in a ranked free for all playlist or in campaign.

- Too Close to the Sun: Destroy an enemy banshee with the spartan laser or missile pod in a ranked playlist or in campaign.

- We're in for some Chop: Destroy an enemy vehicle with equipment in a ranked playlist or in campaign.

- Used Car Salesman: Destroy a vehicle that has three enemies in it in a ranked playlist or in campaign.

The only one that didn't was

- Maybe Next Time Buddy: Board the same vehicle within 10 seconds after being boarded in any free for all playlist (Online).

Then they added all of the DLC ones that could be done in either ranked or social.

A game needs to be real ****ty if a ranking system is needed to keep people playing. Its always about the competitiveness in forums like this, but if you check online you'll see everyone in H3 in social playlists (was always like this!), you'll see no one in the SUPERIOR Arena of Reach, and max 1k players or less totally in MLG playlists of the games. So, , people aren't interested in that **** at ALL. Get it?

PS. Even Blops2 League is a completely deserted place (was always like this too).

If anything, all this MLG bull**** destroyed this franchice. Not the other way around.

no..it's certainly the other way around. MLG in halo 2 was the closest thing you could get to in the series where truely the better player would prevail. Now in halo and other games theres so many cruches given to new players in the form of slowing down gameplay weather its making the spartans slower or making the spawning weapons not the same for everyone.

Black ops 2 league play isn't worth doing because the connection problems with call of duty. There's already a visible rank (although this means utterly nothing in COD) and the connections are far too inconsistent in that game to consider a competetive carrer. I'm serious, you could be the best player on the planet earth at call of duty, and you'll get into games where you can't do ANYTHING due to lag. But if you haven't played COD post MW2, the unique brand of lag it offers is truly infuriating. It doesn't lag like halo does, where people glitch around and everyone is still on the same footing more or less. No, in COD everyone has a different connection, some people have instant kill bullets, with no delay, and others will shoot an entire clip with a target center mass and get no hit indicators. And it's extremely telling in COD to boot, one game you're bullets will register after your first shot, and others it won't register until 3 to 4 shots. Because of this inconsistancy you can litterally destroy one game, and then the very next match, against the same people, can be night and day and you'll be on the recieving end. It's because of this reason that there really isn't a way to tell if someone is good at COD these days. Good players get owned due to lag and terrible players excell because they are almost a full second in front of the opposition connection wise.

Call of duty was never a serious MLG title, but halo was considered the port in the storm for competetive console FPS'. Now it has the fun of big team games, but competition sucks big time, with unbalanced mechanics sprouting up all over the place. (instant respawning, ordanace, different loadouts which make you choose a rock paper sissor type of weapon loadout depending on range. I am certainly not alone in feeling this way about halo 4. Nor am I correct as I admit this only my opinion, however it is one held by MANY old halo fans, and I'm talking about OG's here since the launch of the first xbox.

• Like 1

A game needs to be real ****ty if a ranking system is needed to keep people playing. Its always about the competitiveness in forums like this, but if you check online you'll see everyone in H3 in social playlists (was always like this!), you'll see no one in the SUPERIOR Arena of Reach, and max 1k players or less totally in MLG playlists of the games. So, , people aren't interested in that **** at ALL. Get it?

PS. Even Blops2 League is a completely deserted place (was always like this too).

If anything, all this MLG bull**** destroyed this franchice. Not the other way around.

Reach Arena was a massive failure. That is why nobody plays it. It has been discussed on these forums many times and almost anybody that played Reach will tell you the same.

If you didn't play Halo 2 you won't understand the significance of the relationship between Halo and MLG. In Halo 2 the game was more competitive and more people strived to be a high rank and/or attain MLG status. Playing with pros in Halo 2 was always something to brag about. Halo brought life to MLG and MLG added players to the Halo fanbase in both, in Halo 2 and Halo 3. It wasn't vital to Halo's success but to say it destroyed Halo is just false. Because Reach lost Halo's competitive gameplay, it got removed from the pro circuit, and consequently caused a decline in MLG's popularity.

• Like 2

agreeed a 1 to 50 system like halo 3 sometime starting in jan will appear on waypoint but if they add a 1 to 50 on halo 4 the game will become mlg and at the momment halo 4 is the perfect blemnd of mlg and casul

Wrong. How is this game "MLG" at all? There's no MLG playlist yet, and they even removed Slayer Pro, which was the closest thing there was to an MLG playlist. I love this game, but right now, there's very little solid competition.

90% of Halo 3 population spent 90% of time in SOCIAL playlists, so you're WRONG.

Blops2 netcode is no less laggy than H4, and you get tenfold better connects at any time due to player count. Half the time people complain about connect issues its because the gameplay and movement is faster than ever and kill times in regular playlists made even shorter with all weapons.

90% of Halo 3 population spent 90% of time in SOCIAL playlists, so you're WRONG.

Blops2 netcode is no less laggy than H4, and you get tenfold better connects at any time due to player count. Half the time people complain about connect issues its because the gameplay and movement is faster than ever and kill times in regular playlists made even shorter with all weapons.

where are you getting this information???

Reach Arena was a massive failure. That is why nobody plays it. It has been discussed on these forums many times and almost anybody that played Reach will tell you the same.

If you didn't play Halo 2 you won't understand the significance of the relationship between Halo and MLG. In Halo 2 the game was more competitive and more people strived to be a high rank and/or attain MLG status. Playing with pros in Halo 2 was always something to brag about. Halo brought life to MLG and MLG added players to the Halo fanbase in both, in Halo 2 and Halo 3. It wasn't vital to Halo's success but to say it destroyed Halo is just false. Because Reach lost Halo's competitive gameplay, it got removed from the pro circuit, and consequently caused a decline in MLG's popularity.

No The Arena wasn't a failure, its was and still is the most FAIR competitive environment ever (something you definitely can't say about team/win/lose fake skill). The Arena didn't fail, 90% of player population wasn't interested, and you "competitive" sods weren't interested in being judged on an individual basis.

where are you getting this information???

I played Halo 3 online for three years daily. Got over 4000 matches under belt. I KNOW.

90% of statistics that are posted are made up on the spot 75% of the time....

See what I did there?

• Like 1

IDC. I was there. You talk out of your ***.

Thanks for the unwarrented insult. If you want to toss insults around you found the wrong forum.

I just pointed out that you provided no actual data to support your claims of statistics. Unless you can provide certified statistics (that means link them to a creditable source) your post really ment nothing.

No The Arena wasn't a failure, its was and still is the most FAIR competitive environment ever (something you definitely can't say about team/win/lose fake skill). The Arena didn't fail, 90% of player population wasn't interested, and you "competitive" sods weren't interested in being judged on an individual basis.

I played Halo 3 online for three years daily. Got over 4000 matches under belt. I KNOW.

saying halo reach arena wasnt a failure made you lose all credibilty to me. nice made up stats btw :D

saying halo reach arena wasnt a failure made you lose all credibilty to me. nice made up stats btw :D

You realize that I literally JUST locked a topic because of a flame war you were participating in, right? And flaming isn't allowed. Soooo, if you take part in another one, then I'm going to have to slap you with a warning point, if not outright give you a temp ban.

Basically, be civil or be quiet.

I would like to know where you are getting all of these 90% statistics. Anybody can make up a number and I would suggest that you do some research and come up with some concrete evidence before you start pulling numbers out of thin air.

Reach was a failure. If you want to look at stats, just look at the number of people who played Reach years after its release, compared to those who played Halo 2 and Halo 3, years after their releases. It's not even a comparison. Reach was a massive failure and that is indicated by the massive decline in player population throughout its tenure, which drove away a large portion of the matchmaking population. Reach lacked competitive gameplay and a competitive ranking system. Coincidence between that and the population decline? I think not. If Reach and its Arena playlist was such a success, as you indicate, then more people would have wanted to play it. Obviously this was not the case.

Ignoring the continuing failure of most people to understand things, I can say a few things with certainty:

Halo 3's success was not due to visible Trueskill.

Making Trueskill visible is counter to its purpose. It's not there to make you play harder, it's there to make sure matches are as fair as a computer can make them.

From Halo 3 forward (Because I didn't play Halo 2 online) ranked playlists have always been less populated than non-ranked playlists. "Populated" does not equal "well-liked" though. I suspect they were never as populated because people rarely feel like giving 100% when playing a video game, I don't think they were that much less liked though.

People would prefer to drive very nice cars and eat extremely good food in very nice houses, but not everyone can afford to do that, nor can everyone do the same job that allows for it (Someone has to cook your very nice food, make/maintenance your nice car, and clean your nice house). Social playlists were consistently more populated and probably better liked, but if you're good enough to win consistently in ranked playlists you'd probably prefer that. Most people aren't though, so why make a playlist that is by its very nature going to have fewer people in it? Every game you win has to be lost by someone else. From a game developer's perspective this means 100% of your games are going to leave 50% of their players dissatisfied, why make that difference more pronounced when no one else in the market is doing so?

Halo 3 and Call of Duty were not competing for the same consumers. Halo 4 is now because 343 and Microsoft don't know what they're doing, but that's a different issue. Halo 3 may have lost a lot of players to CoD, but that was probably because before CoD4 there wasn't a single Xbox 360 multiplayer shooter that offered the production values of Halo 3. Players prefer one or the other, or they like both. Players know the differences between the two and play what they want to play. As soon as other developers started getting their **** together Halo lost players, not because it was losing a competition, but because other developers were catching up.