Things that would make Forge better.

SuperStuJack

Here are some things that would make Forge better:

Glue type thing: By this I mean you can connect objects together, so when you let them fall, they stay together, good for messing around or custom maps.

Zooming: This would be helpful just in general.

AI spawning: Like Far Cry 3, this would be good for custom missions, maps or just for fun.

More Special effects: This would be great for slender maps!

A search bar: If you cant find an object, you just have to search it, alot quicker and easier.

Let me know if you think of something else that would be cool!

Stay Awesome!

:chaingun: :chaingun: :chaingun: :chaingun: :chaingun: :bananachief:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would like some sort of search bar, but if you get used to menu it becomes usless. I would prefer two things 1) a button that will generate lighting so you dont have to do it EVERY time you leave forge mode and 2) a "locate object" option, meaning if you cant find a piece that you made awhile ago (like a block 5X5, or a vechicle when others mess around on your map) and you have alot on your map you dont have to delete all of that object to get rid of one or two of the same object you cant find (happens all the time to me with my friends messing around while i forge). Although number two might be more of a personal thing, i am pretty sure alot of people will agree to number one.

• Like 1

The Forge in Halo 4 has been improved over previous version as far as build speed and magnets are concerned. The lack of a "Forge World" is somewhat sad though. I don't think that it is necessary to offer another Forge World to please the masses since the variety of locations is nice for Forging in Halo 4. What should be implimented in future Forge maps is clear though; the ability to Forge in all areas of the provided map. For instance, why can't I make use of the backside cliff walls on "Ravine"? Other than that, here are a few other bullet point suggestions.

- Offer the ability to make use of knee high water in a future Forge map. I know that many Forgers out there enjoy implimenting water into their maps based on asthetics alone. (Minor importance for now)

- Halo 5 Forge should include a batch selection tool for moving a linked grouping of objects. This is one of the greatest features offered in the "Skate" map creator because you can spend serious time developing a particular feature and then transfer all of its parts together to a best location. It's easy to spend a healthy amount of time working on a particular base or section of cover only to find that it would all work a bit better a couple feet to the left or right for sight lines.

- I agree that an undo button/option would be fantastic! Even an "Abort Move" button to use once you grab and move the wrong piece would be great. I know that the "Lock" mechanism is included to assist with the issue, but an actual undo is invaluable. Perhaps each piece could even maintain a "Last Location" memory that could be accessed through the menu in order to return it to its previous location if it has been moved. This would be particularly handy if you've Forged yourself out of an area of the map and are required to move one of your pieces in order to add a necessary element within that space. (Ex: Fine tuning grav lifts below created floors with no magnetic snapping.)

- PLEASE... Offer us "Mirrored" set pieces in the pallet. I don't know the details, but this seems extremely doable considering that no new pieces or textures would have to be added. Instead, an object could be visually "Flipped". For example, if I want to use the "Staircase" on a symmetrical map, I can't recreate an exact duplicate side since the steps would always be dedicated to the left of the object. This is true of some "Rooms" and many other pieces as well.

- This is a small suggestion considering that this feature was just added, but for Halo 5, this should certainly be implimented. Gravity Volume areas should be adjustable in size and shape like other zones offered in Halo. Additionally, the ability to designate whether or not the area affects players and/or just objects would be amazing. There seems to be so many Forgers out there already creating lifts and doors on their maps making creative use of these Gravity Volumes. The ability to more easily control your moving objects without affecting player movement would be great for lifts where a player must rely on riding the object as opposed to entering the lift space and simply jumping. (Ex: Ivory Tower lift re-creation)

- Lastly, but directly related to the last suggestion. Can we somehow impliment "Plot Points" for pieces/objects in conjunction with a "Designate as Button" feature. For example, it would be nice to create a set piece that looks/acts as an active button that, when activated will move the associative piece(s) from a desgnated "A" plotpoint to "B" plotpoint. This would open up a world of gametype possibilities where the use of a unlockable door or elevator is necessary for progression or offensive attack. (How amazing would it be to have to fight your way into a base in order to activate the main hanger door to further access your objective?!!)

Overall, the Forge has had some really nice improvements, but the full potential and freedom of the system lies within many of the suggestions stated above. While there will always be something more that the people want, I beleive that these tools will set up all Forgers with the basic tools necessary to go above and beyond. Thank you for the tools that we already have, and I look forward to seeing the next steps evolve. Until then, happy Forging!

• Like 2

Undo. Like seriously, where is my undo button. Also, why can't a group objects so that I can move them all at the same time, copy multiple objects at once, or apply the same advanced attributes to the whole group? These are basic level features in any other kind of editor. Forge is great, but these two (normally) basic features would make it a lot less tedious.

- PLEASE... Offer us "Mirrored" set pieces in the pallet. I don't know the details, but this seems extremely doable considering that no new pieces or textures would have to be added. Instead, an object could be visually "Flipped". For example, if I want to use the "Staircase" on a symmetrical map, I can't recreate an exact duplicate side since the steps would always be dedicated to the left of the object. This is true of some "Rooms" and many other pieces as well.

Also, that.

• Like 2

Ok, I know some (maybe most) of these are already posted, but I'm just going to list my opinion of new forge features.

• Edit game type in-game- This will allow the game type to be set up EXACTLY how players want it to be, since they can check how the settings affect the players movement throughout the map
  • Use of terrain- This will allow players to TRULY make a map. A true custom map is where you set the terrain, and all the items in it. Use of water would make this perfect.
  • Weather- What, can't Spartans aren't allowed to play in the rain?
  • Night time maps- Neither the makes of Call of Duty, nor the makes of Halo have figured this out yet. How about a night time map? Wouldn't it be sooo epic if you could use night vision to help you see in a very dim map? And it would FINALLY put use to the lights on vehicles.
  • AI- Who doesn't love killing Grunts just because it's fun?
  • Blood painter and corpses- Imagine this: You're playing a custom game of Flood (Infected). You're slowly walking down a hallway, when out of the corner of your eye, you see a trail of blood. You follow it carefully, and as you turn the corner, you find the body of a marine. You investigate it for a second, and then... WHAM!, a flood kills you. Scary... (Thought red fit this one better :P)
  • Bringing back old vehicles- Aaaah yes... the good ol' Covie motorcycle... the Chopper. Or the fun to use Elephant? Also, what about the Covenant troop transfer vehicle: The Shadow, and the Spectre? Halo 2 times, baby!
  • Dynamic parts of the map- Wouldn't it be cool if parts of the map moved? Whether it's something swinging around, or something flying by the map, it'd be pretty cool to see.
  • All items in all maps- This is one of those things that just makes sense. Let us be able to forge on ANY map we want, not just the maps with open space.
  • More items- I'm so sick of the same objects being used over and over again, and it only being those items. Let's see some new items, like stuff that looks like it's from the Covenant.
  • Combining objects- Yeah, Halo 4's Duplicate Object is a great attempt to help forge, but that's all it really is: an attempt. It doesn't help people when you can ONLY copy one object instead of multiple items.
  • Larger maps with no limit on objects- People need room to be able to forge masterpieces. We also need to be able to use some objects MANY times. 100 is the limit of some of the groups of items... making an epic base needs more than that.

This is regarding the previous post, putting AI and ability to change the components/terrain of a map would change forge from a Map editor to a map creator. In doing this you change the purpose of forge and it might not have the same feel to it. The ability to shape the terrain is cool but does not fit in halo (and would be buggier than anything).

Oh and one more suggestion that i have wanted since Halo 3:

A despawn timer. So if you want to make a room that you cant get into until 2 minutes into the game, you could block it with a wall and set the wall to despawn in 2 minutes and then you have a temporarily blocked room.

Undo. Like seriously, where is my undo button. Also, why can't a group objects so that I can move them all at the same time, copy multiple objects at once, or apply the same advanced attributes to the whole group? These are basic level features in any other kind of editor. Forge is great, but these two (normally) basic features would make it a lot less tedious.